New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Feat that makes a skill a class skill

Described pretty well by the title. Is there a feat or something similar that makes a skill a class skill? I can't find one, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-08-31 at 11:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Feat that makes a skill a class skill

Well there's Able Learner, even though it doesn't technically make a skill a class skill, it makes all skills cost one point - you still have the limit on cross class skill points.
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-08-31 at 11:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Described pretty well by the title. Is there a feat or something similar that makes a skill a class skill? I can't find one, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
    Martial Study, from The Tome of Battle:Book of 9 Swords does that - sort of. You get one specific skill, chosen from a list of the ones available from the disciplines (Tumble for Desert Wind, Intimidate for Devoted Spirit, Concentration for Diamond Mind, Balance for Iron Heart, Sense Motive for Setting Sun, Hide for Shadow Hand, Balance for Stone Dragon, Jump for Tiger Claw, or Diplomacy for White Raven). As a bonus, you also get a single martial maneuver (which can be handy).

There's also the Apprentice feats in ... was it the PHB II or the DMG II? Ah well, either way.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-08-31 at 11:30 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depends what skill you're talking about.

There are a range of feats that do various things for skills in terms of cost. Able Learner from Races of Destiny is one of the best, but it works best when using a multi-class character, and is pretty much human specific. Whilst it doesn't make a skill a class skill, it makes them only cost 1 rank instead of two when cross-classed, but you still only have the maximum ranks according to your cross-class max ranks.

Guerilla Warrior and Guerilla Scout from Heroes of Battle will help with Spot/Listen and Hide/Move Silently respectively by making them only cost 1 rank instead of two when cross-classed, but you still only have the maximum ranks according to your cross-class max ranks.

Cosmopolitan from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting will give you a +2 bonus to a specific skill, and allow you to treat it as a class skill from there on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

What I'm specifically looking for is an easy way to give a Paladin 8 ranks in Hide and Move Silently by 5th level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You could always just make a feat up and have your DM approve it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, if there isn't one I'll homebrew it. Seems like a perfectly reasonable, rather vital, and useful feat...

Sounds like Cosmopolitan does that and tacks a +2 onto it.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-08-31 at 11:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

What I'm specifically looking for is an easy way to give a Paladin 8 ranks in Hide and Move Silently by 5th level.
    Why, pray tell, do you wish to do this? I would guess that you want to qualify for a prestige class, but which one?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

One which I'm making...

...Based on Dark Templar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Why, pray tell, do you wish to do this? I would guess that you want to qualify for a prestige class, but which one?
    Probably Grey Guard or one of the others. There's a Paladin/Rogue PrC, I just can't remember what.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Sadly, Cosmopolitan got nerfed in the Player's Guide to Faerun and merely gives +2 to three specific skills.

Hide is easy, just take Martial Study for a Shadow Hand maneuver of your choice. Move Silently will, I think, require either homebrew or multiclassing. What race is your character, and would you be willing to take a single level in another class?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

wink Re: Feat that makes a skill a class skill

There's another one but unfortunately it has an alignment requirement and is from Dragon. Personally, in a campaign of mine I'd probably take off the alignment requirement and say any skill save UMD.

Flexible Mind [Anarchic]
    (DRAGON 326 p80)
    Requirements: Chaotic alignment
    Mechanics: Choose two skills that you have ranks in. These skills are always in-class for you from now on. Both skills also receive a +1 bonus.
    You gain a Chaotic Aura equal to your Character level. It can discerned by Detect Chaos spell or ability.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

DMG Apprentice feat could do the trick just make a new Mentor type with the right skills.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-09-01 at 01:03 AM.
    Stolen from Bayar

My PC likes hamburgers but prefers cheeseburgers. Any LG Paladin should Wish for a CG Candle of Invocation to Summon a Noble Djinni or a Solar. Pazuzu probably amused at a lowly Paladin having a Demon Lord grant him a Wish to command a Solar to grant a Wish for something like Summoning a Noble Djinni for more wishes of questionable purposes. Gate spell doesn't cause creature to forget.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm surprised to find that there isn't a simple 'cross class skill now class skill' feat. I'll go make one.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Probably Grey Guard or one of the others. There's a Paladin/Rogue PrC, I just can't remember what.
    It's Shadowbane Inquisitor. I always refer to it as the Paladin Assassin class.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Done!

Easy enough. Made it so it can't be abused with UMD either.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-09-01 at 12:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is a two feat combo in Races of destiny that makes all skills basically class skills. Able learner and...if I were not at work I could tell you the other one.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I went with simply house-ruling that any skill you take Skill Focus for, becomes a class-skill. Depending on how far we were going, I either left or removed the +3 bonus.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

I suggest Apprentice. It gets you just the right number of class skills (two) and since Move Silently and Hide are so intertwined, it's very easy to come up with a tutor who would've taught you both (perhaps you were trained by some Rogue before you did a 180, or maybe you've trained under some Elven Rangers or some such).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I also went with Skill focus. Simple yet still far from power attack or the metamagic ones...
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Human Rogue 1/Paladin 4 could do it. Able learner if you want it a bit cheaper.

If you want to optimize a bit more, Human Rogue 3/Paladin 2 would fit too.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm surprised to find that there isn't a simple 'cross class skill now class skill' feat. I'll go make one.
    There is in KotOR, which is more or less based on the d20 Star Wars system. I actually played KotOR prior to playing 3.5 D&D, and I was shocked by the absence of such a feat. Especially when some of the class skill lists are so stupidly limiting.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

In the latest Dragon, there are backgrounds that make 1 or 2 skills class skills, and give untyped bonuses to them. A single feat can give training in a skill -- a feat that made a skill a class skill would be seriously underpowered. I suppose homebrewing one that gave you 2 skills with a +1 feat bonus each both as class skills might be reasonable (Possibly with the requirement that the character take it at 1st level).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The simplest option is the one that always seems to get over looked: Skill Knowledge (UA)

http://dndsrd.net/unearthedAlternativeSkills.html

SKILL KNOWLEDGE [GENERAL]
    You gain access to new knowledge and abilities.
    Benefit: Choose any two skills from one of your current classes' skill lists. You now know these skills as class skills.

Special: Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There are a number of not-very-fun feats that give you a couple class skills : City Slicker from Races of Destiny, Ecclesiarch and Education from Ebberon, and Draconic Heritage from Complete Arcane.

Able Learner does NOT increase the max number of cross-class skills.

I would write this character as starting as Rogue or Factotum and becoming a Paladin shortly after. I like skill points.

26. - Top - End - #26

Martial Study (Shadow Hand) will give you Hide.
    Draconic Heritage (Green) from Complete Arcane will give you Move Silently. (It's also a good go to for several other Skills, including Hide, but you can only take it once).

Done.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Draconic Heritage (Green) from Complete Arcane will give you Move Silently. (It's also a good go to for several other Skills, including Hide, but you can only take it once).
    Sadly, Draconic Heritage requires a level in Sorcerer.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Dragontouched-feat works too. Of course, then you're burning 3 feats on two skills, which is way more than the skills are worth.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    Flexible Mind [Anarchic]
    (DRAGON 326 p80)
    Requirements: Chaotic alignment
    Mechanics: Choose two skills that you have ranks in. These skills are always in-class for you from now on. Both skills also receive a +1 bonus.
    You gain a Chaotic Aura equal to your Character level. It can discerned by Detect Chaos spell or ability.
    This would work for a Paladin of Freedom (CG).

There's one other way to pick up Hide. Planar Touchstone feat, use the Catalogues of Enlightenment to get the Trickery domain power. This adds bluff, disguise, and hide to your cleric class skills... of which you don't have any, so it would still be cross-cass for a paladin.

I prefer Martial Study, though, particularly if you wait until ECL 6. Your IL = 3, so you can pick up Cloak of Deception (swift action to become invisible for 1 round).

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Sadly, Draconic Heritage requires a level in Sorcerer.
    Whoops. You're right. I played a Sorcerer who used it, and forgot that it was a pre-req.

Also, its worth mentioning that you could take a level of Ranger or Fighter variant to get both as class Skills without ruining your BAB. Paladin 5 grants you a mount, but it will soon suck unless the PrC you have in mind progresses its HD and abilities. So Paladin 4/Whatever 1 is just as good.