New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Max Damage In One Round

I want to see the maximum amount of damage that anyone can think of that they can pull off in one round. It has to be RAW, you can't pull in things that don't have DnD stats (like anti-matter or missiles), but other than that anythings fair. Unless you're using something that ensures max damage, use average damage for the attack.

My best so far is actually fairly weak: Sudden maximized, Energy Admixed, Twinned, Meta-Magic Rod Empowered, lesser fire orb. 240 damage total.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Max Damage In One Round

I've seen a hulking hurler build that did about 50000 damage in one round on average...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Crusader infinite damage trick?

Can't really beat that one.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    I've seen a hulking hurler build that did about 50000 damage in one round on average...
    Didn't CO get the hurler into the trillions of d6s worth of damage?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The Crusader infinite damage trick?

Can't really beat that one.
    That one doesn't work because as per RAW, you never get to quit rolling the dice. It has the potential to deal infinite damage, but never does because you never get to the end.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    That one doesn't work because as per RAW, you never get to quit rolling the dice. It has the potential to deal infinite damage, but never does because you never get to the end.
    Another poster recently used this argument and was corrected shortly after, the re-rolling of the dice is optional so you can stop and deal an arbitrary amount of damage.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well then, I suppose that there really is no way to beat infinite damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    Well then, I suppose that there really is no way to beat infinite damage.
    Of course there is: Larger amounts of infinite damage. The crusader trick only does an arbitrarely large number not actual infinite damage. But I doubt that you'd ever be able to do more then a countable infinite amount of damage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Aura of Chaos says "...you may re-roll that die", rather than "...you re-roll that die". So when you've gotten as much damage as you want, you just choose to stop re-rolling. You never actually get infinite damage, but you do get arbitrarily high damage, which is really just as good.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Yeah. I have it open right here and it says "you can reroll" not "must reroll".

Even if it didn't you can always voluntarily end an action as a free action, so it's a moot point.

However, it's an infinite number of 1d2's. The Omnicificer gets his infinite damage all in one infinity-sized bonus to attack and damage, so there's always that.

If you want non-arbitrarily/infinitely high damage, you want Chuck the Wuby Windicator.

11. - Top - End - #11

What is this infinite-damage Crusader trick?
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    What is this infinite-damage Crusader trick?
    He uses some abilities to reroll 1's on a damage die. Then to reroll a maximum result and add a new roll. Then he picks up a 1d2 weapon...
    Last edited by fractic; 2008-09-01 at 04:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Metamagic up a healing spell with Imbued Healing: Luck (Complete Champion), cast the healing-spell on a Crusader, go to Aura of Chaos (Tome of Battle), use any weapon with 1d2 damage die. Now you reroll all dice that roll max damage and you treat all 1s as 2s. So you reroll all dice.

This is of questionable legality though since while treating all 1s as 2s, you didn't actually roll the 2 and Aura of Chaos specifically talks about rolling. Still, this is the simpliest infinite damage-exploit in the game. Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too. I can't remember them. But yea, Chuck went into hundreds of billions I recall. That's not bad.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-01 at 04:42 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractic View Post
    He uses some abilities to reroll 1's on a damage die. Then to reroll a maximum result and add a new roll. Then he picks up a 1d2 weapon...
    ...such as a halfling's fist...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too.
    It's not really all that useful, though. The Locate City bomb only works to full effectiveness on a featureless plain, since if you run into something solid (like a wall) before you leave the area, you take much less damage. And even then, it offers two saving throws, both of them very easy to make, and either of which completely prevents the umpteen-many dice of damage, so anyone who's reasonably powerful is likely to just shrug it off. And if you just want to kill the low-level commoners, you can do that with about five fewer metamagics on the combination: A casting or two of snowcast flashfrost Locate City will already kill most commoners.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Check, the Ruby Knight Windicator, aka Chuck the Hulking Whirler, manages 1.85 trillion, give or take 65 billion, against a single target. He travels at 1533.505 mi/sec.

Chuck E. Cheese manages 75.6 Quadrillion damage to a single target, as well as incinerating 2/3 of the continental US with 12d6 fire damage (reflex half). He travels at 1,059,008,683 ft/sec, which is is roughly 1.08c. (Faster than the speed of light, for those who don't know)
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-09-01 at 08:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Locate City bomb?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too.
    Actually, that doesn't work. Locate City doesn't have a shape, so Explosive Spell doesn't work on it. I think there's a few other questionable points, but that's the main deal-breaker.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Metamagic up a healing spell with Imbued Healing: Luck (Complete Champion), cast the healing-spell on a Crusader, go to Aura of Chaos (Tome of Battle), use any weapon with 1d2 damage die. Now you reroll all dice that roll max damage and you treat all 1s as 2s. So you reroll all dice.

This is of questionable legality though since while treating all 1s as 2s, you didn't actually roll the 2 and Aura of Chaos specifically talks about rolling. Still, this is the simpliest infinite damage-exploit in the game. Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too. I can't remember them. But yea, Chuck went into hundreds of billions I recall. That's not bad.
    Chuck needs scientific notation to accurately express his average damage.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm
    75.6 Quadrillion
    That sounds about right. He broke the Hulking Hurler's record, after all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Once more...
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=573196
    Total damage > (2.5*10^36530)^^73600 using Knurth's up arrow notation
    Yeah, that goes beyond scientific notation. However, those few thousand buff rounds may mean not quite 1 round. The action itself, however, is one round.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Once more...
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=573196
    Total damage > (2.5*10^36530)^^73600 using Knurth's up arrow notation
    Yeah, that goes beyond scientific notation. However, those few thousand buff rounds may mean not quite 1 round. The action itself, however, is one round.
    I never fail to laugh at the 3rd post in that thread.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I never fail to laugh at the 3rd post in that thread.
    Same here
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The 1d2 Crusader has an effect which causes all rolls of 1 to be counted as though they were rolls of 2 instead. That means every roll is always a 2, regardless of what the actual die roll ends up as. Therefore, you don't actually roll any dice for damage as the result is always the same.

It is not an arbitrarily large amount of damage, because it takes no time whatsoever in-game or OoC to calculate the damage. You never have to "stop rolling" because nothing is rolled in the first place, it's simply counted as the only possible result. Therefore, it actually is infinite damage.

Does this challenge count damage dealt to yourself? Because I'm sure someone could manage to deal infinite damage to himself multiple times in one round. Just use the damage loop from the Omnificer build. That trick also involves dealing infinite damage to two other people at the same time as yourself. You set up the loop with 2 other people, three people get dealt infinite damage once. You add 2 more people with the same spells in effect, and all 5 people involved take infinite damage twice in one round. Add 2 more people with the same loop and all 7 people take infinite damage five times. The only limiting factor is the duration of the spells involved in creating the damage loop, and finding enough people to go along with it. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out just how many people you can get taking infinite damage, or how many times each of them takes infinite damage, in the single round when you trigger the damage loop to occur.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    The 1d2 Crusader has an effect which causes all rolls of 1 to be counted as though they were rolls of 2 instead. That means every roll is always a 2, regardless of what the actual die roll ends up as. Therefore, you don't actually roll any dice for damage as the result is always the same.

It is not an arbitrarily large amount of damage, because it takes no time whatsoever in-game or OoC to calculate the damage. You never have to "stop rolling" because nothing is rolled in the first place, it's simply counted as the only possible result. Therefore, it actually is infinite damage.
    Actually, it's 2+modifier(s) damage, using your logic.

Because, you know, you have to ROLL for the damage to trigger the loop.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

But the Imbued Healing thing causes all ones to be treated as if you had rolled a 2. If you had rolled a 2, you would re-roll it, so treating it as if you had rolled a 2 would mean that you would re-roll it.

26. - Top - End - #26

It's much less shatteringly exponentially huge, but a Hellfire Glaivelock can pump a lot of damage out in a single round with the right feats. Add in Maximize SLA, Empower SLA, and Quicken SLA along with an enhanced BAB from prebuffing/persisting Divine Power (from a scroll or other source) and the resulting 8 Reach melee touch attacks from Eldritch Glaive do enough total damage to instantly slay even most Epic foes. You can also add Vitriolic Blast if you're worried about SR.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I know everybody will hate me for this.....

Ah **** it.

Pun Pun deals the most damage. Even when unarmed.

Now max damage in 1 round at level 1 with no Gestalt and no Pun Pun. That is a real chalenge.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2008-09-02 at 01:08 PM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's worth mentioning that nothing in a pre-Epic game that I know of has more then 858 hit points. Maybe if a DM is feeling particularly sadistic, he might add on some templates or use Epic material - but even then its likely to be in the low 1000 range. A garden variety high BAB build using Leap Attack, pounce, a couple of damage multipliers (Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, Rhino's Rush, Valorous Weapon, etc) and some method of getting touch attacks (Flame Blade, Fire Lash, Fire Dagger, Spectral Weapon, Wraithstrike) and denying the enemy its Dex bonus (Greater Invisibility et al) can pull that off pretty easily in one round. Toss in a way of ignoring Miss Chance (Pierce Magical Concealment) and a way of re-rolling 1 on your attack roll (Luck feats/abilities), and you're pretty much set for anything. Optimizing beyond that point is basically just for theoretical fun.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Optimizing beyond that point is basically just for theoretical fun.
    Or to fight something with an equal level of cheese, if you have a sadistic DM like you mentioned.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    But the Imbued Healing thing causes all ones to be treated as if you had rolled a 2. If you had rolled a 2, you would re-roll it, so treating it as if you had rolled a 2 would mean that you would re-roll it.
    And? You still have to ROLL for the loop to work. There's a reason it uses 1d2 damage weapons and not 1 damage weapons. He's saying that there only being one possible result means you don't have to roll, allowing for infinite damage rather than arbitrarily high damage. I pointed out that the ability that allows for the arbitratily high damage REQUIRES you to roll for it to work. You're welcome to rule otherwise in your game, but RAW, you either roll out your damage 1d2 at a time, or your 1d2 crusader is dealing 2+modifier damage.

Plus, assuming someone brings it into a game, making them roll for their 2n damage might make them see that maybe they shouldn't. Don't let them roll multiple dice at once, either, who's to say they won't get a result that DOESN'T allow a reroll? (works best IRL, obviously)
    Swoop Falcon