New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Paranoia?

So what is this game "Paranoia" I hear about every now and again?

I just read the wikipedia entry. Seems pretty interesting.

What sort of system does it run on? D20? BRP? Or does it even need a system? The article did mention that the rulebook considers the rules optional...

I have a twisted sense of humor. The players I usually DM for also share this sense of humor, and tend to weasel friendly fire into the game every now and then. (See my post in the "Tpb" thread about the fate of Bushido Joe...) So I think Paranoia might be a game that piques everyone's interest...

Also, are there any PbP games running for it right now? Or perhaps one starting soon?

And could somebody tell me a story or two so I can get a good grip on what the game is like?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paranoia?

Paranoia is hilarious. As I recall, it's a single D20 roll-low system of successes and failures. The rulebook emphasizes story or mechanics, and in some cases the mechanics are above the player's clearance level, and thus are completely inaccessible to them. If your GM can capture the feel, it's awesome for a great one-shot every now and again, and while it does have rules for more "straight" play I don't tend to hear of people playing that way all too often.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

O.K. so, the thing to remember about Paranoia is that everyone will die in the game. Multiple times. Each time you die you get a clone sent out to continue on for you. This can happen multiple times (though there is an upper limit). Also, the Computer has made it against the law to be a member of a secret society, or to be a mutant. Every PC is a member of a secret society and a mutant.

First game of Paranoia I ever played. The PCs are sitting around a table, and the Computer is about to tell us the job it wants done. BEFORE it gets there, however, it asks if anyone at the table is a member of a secret society. We were sitting at a round table. Everyone pointed at someone. Unfortunately everyone pointed at someone else. So, the Computer activated the automatic weapons in the room and killed everyone in the room before we even managed to find out what the adventure was going to be about.

Heh. I love that game.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wow.

I have to play this game... XD

5. - Top - End - #5

Paranoia XP is the latest version, and offers several different options for how to play. But the following are the rules for Paranoia

1. Roll high, good. Roll low, bad
    2. You can earn perversity points for doing things that amuse the DM. These are spent to increase or decrease any dice roll by anyone in the game. Much hilarity ensues, because whilst you are working with the rest of the party, you're also out to get them.
    3. You never know if you rolled high or low, because you don't get to roll dice. The DM does.
    4. If the DM doesn't like the result on the dice, he changes it to something he does like.
    5. Your job is to serve friend computer, and to kill commie mutant traitors. However, YOU are a commie mutant traitor. Therefore, you must prove to the computer that your allies are commie mutant traitors, so that you are not suspected.

So, yeah, it's a heck of a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #6

These guys have done a good job describing it; I'm just adding my voice to say that it is indeed quite a fun game.

Other things of note:
    most of the rules (and dice rolls, etc) are above the PCs' clearance levels
    nearly all of the information on your equipment is above the PCs' clearance levels
    Everything else of note is probably above the PCs' clearance levels
    If you're not trying to elevate yourself at the cost of everyone else in the party, you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-09-01 at 06:12 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

The online community for RPGs at my college loves Paranoia so much, our member ranking system is the colored clearance levels in the game.
    The most hilarious death that happened was someone sitting on the wrong clearance-level color of chair. I can't go into detail because of forum rules, but let's say "insta-gib" is an understatement to the ensuing death-by-chair.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

So wait, if the DM rolls the dice, how do you know if you succeed? I mean, he can just lie and say you lose... And even if you did succeed, he could just change the roll... So either way, you're not gonna succeed at the roll. So you might as well just say what you want to do, and hope the DM's description of what happens doesn't involve your death or maimage.

But if that's the case, could you pursuade him with the points you described?

Also, if the players don't know the rules, can they make one up to save themselves? Like... Lets say Player A gets shot in the leg, but needs to run. Can he pull a "Determination" roll out of his butt and claim that his char tries to push through the pain and sprint? And if he succeeds the roll, his char manages to run with a screwed up leg, despite the pain? (Only to later bleed to death from aggrivating the wound, of course. )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post

What sort of system does it run on? D20? BRP? Or does it even need a system? The article did mention that the rulebook considers the rules optional...

I have a twisted sense of humor. The players I usually DM for also share this sense of humor, and tend to weasel friendly fire into the game every now and then. (See my post in the "Tpb" thread about the fate of Bushido Joe...) So I think Paranoia might be a game that piques everyone's interest...

Also, are there any PbP games running for it right now? Or perhaps one starting soon?

And could somebody tell me a story or two so I can get a good grip on what the game is like?
    I am sorry lycan-R-01, but that information is cleared for security level GREEN -i'm a little teapot, short and- only! Please report to Food Recycling Vat 02***Commie mutant traitors are a lie! SMASH THE COMPUTER!*** for duty reassignment. The computer is your friend. Are you happy citizen? If you are not happy, please report to Personality Readjustment in Corridor BLU-53&&&sanctuary exists!&&&ave a nice day!
    Last edited by Demonix; 2008-09-01 at 06:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, I just signed up for the PbP Paranoia game somebody is starting in the RPG section.

Thanks for the info, folks. I'd still like an answer to my section group of questions, though. I thought of a hilarious scenario that I'd love to try out in a situation like that. XD

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, the DM/GM would make the check for you. They know the rules. Just because you aren't allowed to know how everything works doesn't mean that they don't. You tell the DM/GM what you want to do, and they try to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So wait, if the DM rolls the dice, how do you know if you succeed? I mean, he can just lie and say you lose... And even if you did succeed, he could just change the roll... So either way, you're not gonna succeed at the roll. So you might as well just say what you want to do, and hope the DM's description of what happens doesn't involve your death or maimage.

But if that's the case, could you pursuade him with the points you described?

Also, if the players don't know the rules, can they make one up to save themselves? Like... Lets say Player A gets shot in the leg, but needs to run. Can he pull a "Determination" roll out of his butt and claim that his char tries to push through the pain and sprint? And if he succeeds the roll, his char manages to run with a screwed up leg, despite the pain? (Only to later bleed to death from aggrivating the wound, of course. )
    Your thinking about it from the wrong angle.

In DnD, it goes like this, the Players take the perspective that the DM is trying to kill them, this is usually wrong, but it's safest for the players to get that idea.

In paranoia, the GM Is trying to kill you, but instead of getting angry, you all have a good laugh as your entire party is reduced to subatomic particles and your next clones are sent into the exact same situation. In Paranoia the DM is trying to kill you, but so are your fellow players, and so is your equipment. And so is the gerbil, the one behind you RIGHT NOW.

The point, however, is that in Paranoia you arn't supposed to take it seriously. Your supposed to have fun and be happy. Because Happiness is mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't find that concept unfair. I actually like that concept, as it leads to hilarious situations. You could insantly succeed at something, but the DM can just say you didn't, and then kill you in some insane way. That'd be quite funny, I think...

Personally, I figured it'd be as easy and fun to just make up a few basic rules, and then wing it from there.

Also, if they "determination" roll thing worked, what if somebody else got their face shot off, tried to make that roll as a joke, and then succeeded? I, for one, find the possibilities to be quite entertaining...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I want to hear specifics on these games. It sounds amazing.

15. - Top - End - #15

How is this different than D&D?

Player: "Ha, you rolled a 3! No way that'll hit my Fighter!"
    DM: "What's your armor class?"
    Player: "What? Um... 37, but I'm in full-defense so 43."
    DM: "The creature hits you."
    Player:

By the way, wikipedia has a nice article describing the Paranoia game.

Edit: Apparently I missed the bit where OP said he read the article. Anyway.. there's a link!
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2008-09-02 at 05:29 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how I've never heard of this game before (or, at least, not enough to make me go look it up), but this looks like something I'd love to play. I don't know if my normal group would like it (they seem to prefer turning serious campaigns into silly ones rather than running silly ones to begin with), but I might see if I can find this for cheap somewhere.

For those in the know, which edition is considered the best? Or are they similar enough to where it doesn't matter?
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17

Citizen. As you are currently classified as a player, you have neither the clearance to access the wikipedia article, nor are allowed access to knowledge of the rules. All you need to know that Paranoia and it's new, more perfect than ever version Paranoia XP are mandatory fun and that Friend Computer loves you. Please report for mandatory brainscrubbing.

However, if you wish to hear some hilarious stories of traitors destroying themselves, Friend Computer and his trusted UVs would be happy to oblige.

There are many kinds of traitor stories. What kind did you have in mind. Traitors blowing their fellow traitors up, traitors blowing themselves up, or loyal citizens destroying traitors? For the later, Friend Computer recommends the stylings of Teela-O-MLY.

As for what Alpha Complex is like...

Some romantics have refered to Alpha Complex as a blended mix of 1984, Brazil, and the Three Stooges. These thoughts are treasonous.

Alpha Complex is a perfect paradise with no communists, no mutants, no secret societies, and no traitors.

Also, rumors of a 5th edition are untrue and treasonous.

Edit: While Citizen Dai-R-UNN-1 is happy to oblige stories of adventures against traitors, he also recommends the logs on www.paranoia-live.net for some real transcripts of actual troubleshooting missions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The previous post is both full of win and Officially Friend Computer-Approved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thrud View Post
    First game of Paranoia I ever played. The PCs are sitting around a table, and the Computer is about to tell us the job it wants done. BEFORE it gets there, however, it asks if anyone at the table is a member of a secret society. We were sitting at a round table. Everyone pointed at someone. Unfortunately everyone pointed at someone else. So, the Computer activated the automatic weapons in the room and killed everyone in the room before we even managed to find out what the adventure was going to be about.
    Brilliant! The first game I ever ran, one of the players mis-read the meaning of the red shirts they were all wearing (clearance levels in Paranoia run through the rainbow starting at red for the lowest), and called one of the other characters "comrade". Out come the automatic weapons and she lost her first clone during character generation.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

One Paranoia game we played sent us all to tele-tubby land, someone opened the rear door of out transport device and we were all sucked out to fall to our deaths (obviously we died because we landed on the green clearance surface) one person fell slightly after the rest of us (although i thought he was in front) and by the time he landed the surface was red clearance (a least some areas of it were) so he wasn't harmed.

when our replacement clones arrived we assisted with friend computer's mission and spoke to the mutants that friend computer had sent us to negotiate with.
    upon our return we had a debriefing session.
    Unfortunately our friend who had the luck of landing on a red clearance patch produced a yellow clearance foodstuff in the debriefing session, so i was forced to terminate the traitor.

Spoiler
    Show

we fell out of the aircraft and steve used his mutant power of levitation to survive the fall. then he was silly enough to bring out the telly-tubby toast that he had kept.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

21. - Top - End - #21
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I ran a short-lived (no, not for the obvious reasons, but stalled due to the forum troubles a month or two ago) Paranoia game using an unofficial d20 conversion. A little throw-away personality quirk of the briefing officer -- he got everyone's names mixed up -- led to so much party infighting and squabbling over who was really the team leader, etc., that the team completely forgot the package that they were supposed to be delivering...

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I realize this is both not in the spirit of the game and well above my clearance, but I have question... Is it possible, by any means, to defeat the computer? Blow it up, free the people, lead to a brighter future?
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I realize this is both not in the spirit of the game and well above my clearance, but I have question... Is it possible, by any means, to defeat the computer? Blow it up, free the people, lead to a brighter future?
    Rumor has it that this actually happened in the past (second edition metaplot, to be precise), but that the poor clones were so utterly lost without the Big C's guidance that they turned it back on again.

Rumors are treason. Please report to the nearest termination center. Have a nice day.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    If this were a PbP, you'd be pumped full of red-hot laser already.

EDIT: (Probably because there was a psychic in your party who read your mind and mistakenly thought that you'd said such things aloud. Then they'd be shot for murder and/or being a mutant.)
    Last edited by TwystidMynd; 2008-09-02 at 08:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

Ah, now I remember. I knew there was some reason that blowing up the computer was the first thing that occurred to me. This Perfect Day. Paranoia reminds me of This Perfect Day. Except more hopeless yet played for dark humor.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Rumor has it that this actually happened in the past (second edition metaplot, to be precise), but that the poor clones were so utterly lost without the Big C's guidance that they turned it back on again.

Rumors are treason. Please report to the nearest termination center. Have a nice day.
    Yes. There never was a crash. There never was an entire series of adventures in Second Edition Paranoia that took place entirely in the outdoors and had secret societies acting out in the open. Friend Computer has ALWAYS been here to serve his Citizens and is completely incapable of harm. Even if such a thing HAD happened, it would've likely been by complete bad luck that it had happened and one of the comptuer's comp node would've quickly revived Friend Computer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Is friend computer Great and beneficent, or REALLY Great and beneficent?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28

Friend computer was programmed by 50's anti-commie nutters form the Red Scare. the only reason their IS a communist party in Alpha complex is because Freind computer goes on about it every 3 seconds. It only goes on about them every 3 seconds becuase it's missing abott half it's higher level Ai functions due to a comet impact. It WANTS to be nice. It's just convinced that the Commies have invaded and that it must seek out and destory them in order to secure it's utopia.

this text is clearence Ultraviolet
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Locha-R-Isma 1 reports to the nearest self termination terminal for seeing something above his clearance.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

30. - Top - End - #30

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
    this text is clearence Ultraviolet
    Well, that white text certainly makes everything make more sense.

Unfortunately, it probably also disqualified me from ever playing Paranoia.

I guess I could GM, though...
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show