New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default [3.5]There is a official mystic swordsage?

I'm making mine, but there are one to give me some guidelines?

Edit: corrected the name
    Last edited by Arakune; 2008-09-02 at 06:01 PM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]There is a official mysthic swordsage?

Well, that all depends on how official you want it to be & what "mysthic" means.

Mystic or Mythic?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh, that rings a bell. Wasn't there mention of mystic swordsages in the variants section of the class write-up in ToB:BoNS? They used spells and caster levels instead of manoeuvres and initiator levels...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sword Sage is pretty close anyways, as is Hex Blade(CW) and Dusk Blade(PHB II). Although the Hex Blade is one of the weaker classes, which while more powerful than the Soulknife, isn't going to be able to fight a fighter.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The mystic swordsage, if you mean the caster variant Swordsage from the Bo9s, is insanely broken. They didn't think that one through.

If you don't mean that, I dunno...
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

6. - Top - End - #6

Now that you mention it I've never seen a mystic swordsage variant actually statted out. How about that .
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

7. - Top - End - #7

That's where the brokenness comes in, really. You could make a version that wasn't ridiculously broken, but everyone's just sort of written it off due to the combos they see based on its lack of definition.

One option would be to base it off of the spell to power erudite from one of the Mind's Eye articles; you'd pay an xp cost for each spell you learned and you'd never get 8th level spells.

Another would be to have the maximum spell level you can learn be the same as the maximum a bard of level equal to your initiator level could cast.

A third would be to come up with a balanced sword mage/spell sage spell list to avoid things like time stop + adaptive style.

A separate issue would be what would it's casting stat be? Wisdom makes the most sense, but is normally only used for divine casting.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-02 at 09:09 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

There have been several home brew attempts. My take:

Use all of the Swordsage base statistics (BAB, Skills) and class abilities (Wis bonus to AC - which for this case you can use without armor, Evasion, etc) except you lose armor proficiency, and your hit die is d6.

At each level you gain any ONE SPELL from the Wizard list. These spells must be from the schools of abjuration, evocation, or transmutation. This spell must be approved by the DM, and should fit with the overall fluff of your PC, your current ECL, and power level of the party. You may not select any spell that requires an XP cost or a material component cost above 1gp. You must have a spell component pouch or take the Eschew Materials feat in order to cast.

You may ready a number of spells equal to the number of Maneuvers you would normally be able ready. Each combat you may use each spell once, just as if it were a Maneuver. You can recover your spells by taking a full round action to meditate. You may not have more then one spell in effect at a given time. As soon as you cast another spell, the older spell ends. Your caster level is equal to your Swordsage level. Save DC's for your are based on your Wisdom. You may not take any feats to modify your spells in any way. No Prestige Class progresses them. Spell Resistance and anti-magic effects like Dispel Magic still apply. Spell failure for wearing armor applies to you, as does AoO unless you cast defensively. You cannot use Wands or other spell trigger items for the spells you know (unless you invest in UMD cross class like everyone else).

Pros: Good Skills, decent hit points, decent AC, decent BAB, and a variety of spells that you can use every single combat. Very flexible. You never have to worry about running out of spells, or saving them for the right time. Basically, you can cast your most powerful spells every combat.

Cons: Weaker then other full casters at high levels, unless its a marathon campaign. Can't pull off combos, or buff yourself into godhood.

Anywho, in general this variant doesn't work unless you're playing with a powerful party, or purposefully choose to ready mediocre spells.
    Last edited by Person_Man; 2008-09-02 at 01:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The funny thing is, the mystic swordsage is exactly as official as the unarmed swordsage (both just stuck in as afterthoughts in the Adaptation section at the end of the class description), but it seems like the unarmed variant is actually more common than the "normal" one, while everyone shuns the mystic variant.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [3.5]There is a official mystic swordsage?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    but it seems like the unarmed variant is actually more common than the "normal" one, while everyone shuns the mystic variant.
    Unarmed Swordsage is commonly perceived by the hivemind as a decent Monk fix

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Funny thing is, Unarmed SS doesn't get improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, it probably does. The text in ToB says that they get the monk's unarmed strike ability, and in the monk's description, the ability labeled "unarmed strike" includes the Improved Unarmed Strike feat.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #13

Besides, what sane DM wouldn't houserule it in anyway?
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Yeah, but they have unarmed strikes in their weapon profieciencies, so clearly have an advantage over monks there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Besides, what sane DM wouldn't houserule it in anyway?
    Any DM that feared that the dreaded Cult of Oberoni might be lurking outside his window, awaiting only the right time to strike down those guilty of fallacious heresy against their master.