New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Setting Crafter in the playground Competition Chapter One: Alternate History

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the first Setting Crafter Competition. This week, the theme is:
    Alternate History!

What is alternate history? well, it's basically what would happen if something had happened and the consequences on This Modern World. Nothing else, really, it's that simple.

Our judges for this evening are:
    • Innis Cabal!
    • The Vorpal Tribble!

and the skillful
    • Icewalker!!

Okay, so the goal is to create the most creative setting possible and then have it mercilessly judged by our illustrious trio.
    Pretty easy, huh?

The System, you can choose. The Depth, you can choose too!

Our judges are gonna judge 3 aspects:
    1. Originality.- better known as ohmygoshwhydidn'tIthinkofthatiness
    2. Playability.- can it really be used in a game?
    3. Overall Awesome.- this needs no explanation. methinks

We will reunite here September 16 to declare an end to the competition, till then
    Good Night, Playground!
    Last edited by alexeduardo; 2008-09-07 at 08:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-44 A.K.A. The Angel of Retribution A.K.A. The Angel of Revenge A.K.A Angel of Death

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Setting Crafter in the playground Competition Chapter One: Alternate History

List of Entries:

• Kiren's Shattered Dreams
    • Vadin's NeoRome
    • Alechemyprime's Donnermenshen
    • Prometheus' The Power of Mythology
    • KevLar's's Gothless World
    • cnsvnc's Celestial Anarchy
    • Gwyn ap nud's Ominous Flat Earth-realted yet-to-come setting
    • Acco Spoots's Fascio Del Devinita
    • Shadow Elf's Hyrold
    • Feldion's Invariant Phantasms
    • Fri's Nusantara
    • Fri's Ruminant and Revolver
    • combatmedic's Entry

Frequently Asked Questions:

Do we have free reign to do...I'm not entirely sure what...with...whatever?
    yes, as long as it is plausible.

Do you want full-fledged 100+ page alternate history settings? A 1 line interesting hook that changes the modern world a little bit? Fantasy stuff? Modern stuff? Historical stuff?

I'ts your choice, I'm not the judge so you might want to consult with them.

I understand the entry is 'a setting', but what, in your opinion, constitutes 'a setting'?

Something where a roleplaying game can be run.

is this an alternate history of Earth? The world of the Order of the Stick?
    Real world history, please.

will the winners receive sigtrophies?

I'll make sure of that

Does the entry not count until it is done?

The entries will be judged as they are on September 16
    Last edited by alexeduardo; 2008-09-10 at 07:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-44 A.K.A. The Angel of Retribution A.K.A. The Angel of Revenge A.K.A Angel of Death

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Setting Crafter in the playground Competition Chapter One: Alternate History

Glad to be part of it.

I'm going to figure out and put up a rundown of what I think exemplifies the judged aspects.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-09-02 at 06:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Glad to be part of it.

I'm going to figure out and put up a rundown of what I think exemplifies the judged aspects.
    Good thinking, o skillful one

let's hope we get any contestants.
    (tip: asking a FAQ is a good way to sign in)
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Just 'alternate history'? Nothing else?

Do we have free reign to do...I'm not entirely sure what...with...whatever?

Perhaps if you nailed down what, exactly, entries are it would be easier.

Do you want full-fledged 100+ page alternate history settings? A 1 line interesting hook that changes the modern world a little bit? Fantasy stuff? Modern stuff? Historical stuff?

I understand the entry is 'a setting', but what, in your opinion, constitutes 'a setting'?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah... your contest description is a bit vague. Define exactly what you want. Also, specify... is this an alternate history of Earth? The world of the Order of the Stick?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm...details. I'd suggest not a really huge exposition, but at least several paragraphs to several pages description. I would assume alternate reality Earth, although I'm just a judge.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kiren View Post
    Titanium Treachery Setting

Crunchy parts
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89769
    well, at least it's an entry.
    Also, all your questions have been very unproffesionally answered in the second post
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alexeduardo;4844635[B
    is this an alternate history of Earth? The world of the Order of the Stick?[/B]
    Real world history, please.
    When you say real world history, do you mean to say no fantasy/sci-fi stuff and must the alternate history take place in the past, or can this be alternate future history?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    When you say real world history, do you mean to say no fantasy/sci-fi stuff and must the alternate history take place in the past, or can this be alternate future history?
    Oh, well, try to be the most original of the bunch. After all, your top competitior is a world where humans, cacti, potatoes and sporks live togwther in apparent harmony.

Also, wacky/montypythony stuff is accepted, but me and the judges will hold serious entries in higher esteem.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

/cracks knuckles

Vadin, I know you've got some good idea's
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes but can his ideas top Cacti and Burrito Potatos.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I do, it's just difficult to gauge how much fantasy (if any) is allowed/advisable. And I'm going to assume that anything (and I do mean anything) based on Earth and relating in some way to a real world event is acceptable.

And with that in mind, I will begin work on the setting: NeoRome.

14. - Top - End - #14

NeoRome.
    hoo boy.
    The Competition is finally heating up!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

I do, it's just difficult to gauge how much fantasy (if any) is allowed/advisable. And I'm going to assume that anything (and I do mean anything) based on Earth and relating in some way to a real world event is acceptable.

And with that in mind, I will begin work on the setting: NeoRome.
    think wolfenstine

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I cannot post anything that mentions real world religions, so half of my best ideas are out the window.

Or am I misunderstanding the forum rules?
    Last edited by combatmedic; 2008-09-03 at 06:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yes, serious entries over humorus entries....

And I would say alt. earth

Edit: And your not, no real world religions. You could always be vauge!
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-09-03 at 06:03 PM.
    My Current Works

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
    I cannot post anything that mentions real world religions, so half of my best ideas are out the window.

Or am I misunderstanding the forum rules?
    I think its only religion discussion

19. - Top - End - #19

Also take in mind Im still constantly updating Titanium spork, so when judging comes, base it off of what is currently posted then of what was there when I submitted my Titanium treachery idea, since the crunchy parts are being developed there along with some fluff

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I think its only religion discussion
    Does that mean I could not mention gods worshipped by real world people [which includes an awful lot of D&D gods from Deities and Demigods, for example]? Does it mean I could not so much as mention any of the ''world religions'' that are so important in history [and in the modern world, too].

I'm just not sure what the mods consider 'discussion'.
    I hope the questions above do not constitute, in and of themselves, a violation of the ban. If so, someone please warn me and I will edit my post.
    Last edited by combatmedic; 2008-09-03 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

No discussion about politics or religions, mentioning world gods probably dosnt grind agaist those issues
    My Current Works

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    No discussion about politics or religions, mentioning world gods probably dosnt grind agaist those issues
    I will try. If the mods dislike what I post, I will immediately edit it. Don't worry, it won't be modern day, it won't be derisive of any faith tradition, and it won't claim any one religion is 'correct'.

In fact, I offend anyone on these fora, I will edit. Let me know.

23. - Top - End - #23

The Aesir *Asgardian you may know them as* and the Egyptians, Greeks romans, scholar religions *Not really religions to scholars but you never know* They are open for posting.

24. - Top - End - #24

Okay... how's this? This setting would work better for a game using GURPs or M&M, but I think you could get away with d20 Modern if you said all magic users had to be Lewisians or Dra.

Spoiler
    Show

Long ago, human kind was of three races: The Va, the Ka and the Dra. The three entered a huge war, and in the process, the Va and Ka were almost wiped out. However, the Va leader, Zie-Ro, challenged the Dra leader, In Fin Etee to a battle. Zie-Ro won, and locked the every Dra behind a large stone tablet.

Since then, the Va and the Ka, intermarried, with only those with markings of the Va blood in them gaining the abilities of the Va. Va were seen for a few traits:
    1. Dichromatism, blue eyes or violet eyes.
    2. Thick hair
    3. Dual uvulas

Other than this, they appear totally human. They do have unique traits normal humans lack. The Dra had the same traits. However, only the asprin trait and one of the other four are guarenteed.
    1. The ability to shape one of six elements: fire, air, water, earth, metal, or twilight (Va prefer Light, Dra darkness)
    2. The ability to summon the traits of time: Spring, Summer, Fall or WInter, depending on the Va in question. Some others had the powers of Deja Vu (recurring time) or Streams (flowing time) instead.
    3. The ability to summon the traits of major landforms from the ancient lands of the lost continent (not Atlantis, it has been lost to the ages): The Catherdral of Power, The Horrid Volcano, the Forest of Confusion, the Bottomeless Lake, the Graveyard of Shadows, or the Desert of Secrets.
    4. The power to summon the power of the Earth itself: The Ocean, the Grasslands and Swamps, the Canyons and Valleys, the Mountains, the Moon or the Sun.
    5. They have an odd weakness to asprin. It acts like arsenic in thier systems. This led to many deaths of children who's parent's were unaware of their Va heritage.

Many major figures had Va blood: Adolph Hitler carried the power of the Moon, George Washington could call upon the traits of the Oceans, and Michaelangelo had power over Twilight, to name a few.

The Catholic Church soined many Va as witches and heretics. So after a few witchhunts, most Va faded from human memory

The major changes after those lost days are as such:

December 7, 1941: A Va user with the powers of Wind and Deja Vu was on the USS Arizona. The attack was not as brutal as it could have been as many of the Japanese planes were struck down by lightning bolts or had their engines stalled by his powers. Ltn. Jay LEwis was lost, but he was given honors.

January 1, 1942: A draft for anyone showing "Lewisian" abilities was instilled. Many were called forward. Only Lewisian divisions had female soldiers.

February 3, 1942: Adolph Hitler moves forward with his own battalion of Lewisian soldiers. He calls his "Donner Menschen" or Thunder Men. The US Troops shorten this to "Donners" or "Thors" for the few who knew Norse Myths.

February 14, 1942: The US sends a Lewisian Battalion, called the "Brooklyn Division" along with troops to Europe.

March 13, 1942: A group of Lewisians, called "Churchill's Circus" is sent from the UK to France to fight the Third Reich. The members included Gamu Tanaka (1923- ), a half-French Japanese man with pyrokietic powers, Krystal Zielinski (1929-1976) and Urich Zielinski (1928-1943), two half-British, half Polish contortionsists. She could move objects with the wind, he could become a blob monster (a Lake ability). Leonard Smith (1920-1942), a giant (7'8") with fire-proof skin, an Earth ability. Albert "Mac" McMillian (1920-1956), an Irish immigrant, born in New York, moved to France, height 3'4", could use wind to run incredibly fast. Ghost (1923-1978), an Austrian man that could phase through walls (a Twilight power), and Adrian Verdyunn (1923-1990), a Belgian with an expert mind, he was later revealed to have MEtal based abilities. He joined after single handedly tampering the gas chambers in the concentration camps to filter into the ventilation system for the Nazi soldier's barracks then escaping with a broken leg and arm.

June 4th, 1945- The Landing on Normandy, as well as the final showdown of the Donners against the Brooklyn Division and the Circus. Occured early due to Gamu and Ghosts's persuasion of Churchill. Only one Donner got away from the battle. He was killed by Ghost 12 years later for trying to hold a woman hostage in Berlin.

1947- 22nd Ammendment never passed. FDR is president for 16 years. No big difference.

1950's- McCarthyism rules supreme. All Lewisians are offered jobs as officers to help stop Communism. One is found to be a Communist and most Lewisians are accused of being Communist. Lewisians and nuclear warheads induce fear to all Americans.

1973- Richard Nixon is assassinated by a Lewisian Communist agent. Gerald Ford takes over.

1973- Ford ends the Cold War with Soviet Russia.

1974- Russia returns to Capitalism. Berlin wall goes down.

Nothing different happens...

1984- China launches manned moon walk. China sets up a nuclear launcher on the moon. US retaliates with a satelite based missle launch system. A new COld War occurs with China.

Oct. 3, 1990- A man weilding a sword appears in China. He swings his sword in the direction of the moon. The nuclear launch base of China and the sattelite of America's both are destroyed. Both leaders resolve to take down 2 dozen nuclear warheads each.

1998- The Second Cold War ends.

2002- A boy in Southern California finds the stone tablet of the Dra in an archaeological dig. It is now in the Smithsonian.

Since then, the world has been on edge for another Cold War. However, it will not come from Earth. It will come from Earth-N, the Earth orbiting Nemesis, the counter star of our sun beyond the Oort Cloud. This is the world the Dra were locked away on. They are leaking through due to a leak behind the tablet, in truth a temporal doorway between worlds.

2005- The Government forms the S.D.B. (Supernautral Defense Bureau) to battle the raising amount of monster attacks and Dra attacks across America since the tablet was cracked. Minor cracks in reality have been forming. These cracks act like bridges between Earth and Earth-N.

Our heroes may be freelance agents, normal people thrust into the situation, agents of the SDB, or Dra trying to stop their brethren from doing something they'd regret.

Well, I hope that seems somewhere between Marvel, Hellboy, TORCHWOOD and Watchmen. Fantasy, a bit of sci-fi. I think it could work.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

25. - Top - End - #25

wow nice, alchemy

26. - Top - End - #26

wow nice, alchemy
    Yeah, you should all learn from Alchemyprime.
    By the by, does your setting have a title?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Huh... I knew I forgot something...

Hm... how about Donnermenshen?
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by alchemyprime View Post
    Huh... I knew I forgot something...

Hm... how about Donnermenshen?
    nnnnnnnnnnnice!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Was my setting just owned in one post?

30. - Top - End - #30

No, Kiren. You have mutant potatoes. I have super-Nazis and an assassinated Nixon. We're on Par.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show