New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 3.5 Detect (mining possibilities)

So, I am looking for a spell (preferably Ranger 1 or Ranger 2) that will allow me to detect if there is anything of value in them there hills!

Seriously, my Baron is going ogre hunting in the mountains and I'd love to see if there's anything valuable in my mountains well I'm at it.

Help please.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 3.5 Detect (mining possibilities)

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    So, I am looking for a spell (preferably Ranger 1 or Ranger 2) that will allow me to detect if there is anything of value in them there hills!

Seriously, my Baron is going ogre hunting in the mountains and I'd love to see if there's anything valuable in my mountains well I'm at it.

Help please.
    Well, Lay of the Land (Druid 4, Ranger 1!) combined with some knowledge skills would certainly help. You would have a good sense of the geography of the area, which can in turn allow you to use knowledge skills to try to determine the likely places to mine.

Commune with nature (Druid 5, ranger 4) would be better, but it's a higher level spell. "You become one with nature, attaining knowledge of the surrounding territory. You instantly gain knowledge of as many as three facts from among the following subjects: the ground or terrain, plants, minerals, bodies of water, people, general animal population, presence of woodland creatures, presence of powerful unnatural creatures, or even the general state of the natural setting. "

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/locateObject.htm

You would have to make some adjustments to it, like allow it to detect very large or an array of similar objects through earth, up the range and make it targeted rather than point-blank. But the basic effect would remain the same, and I could see giving that to a ranger.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Treasure Scent, Druid 3, SpC. Detect pretty much every valuable mineral in 30' for hours/level.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks for the feedback guys.