New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How do I revive a teammate as a vampire?

I am playing a True Necromancer in a campaign and one of my fellow adventurers has unfortunately found himself lacking in the life department.

I know create (greater) undead, animate dead etc can turn dead comrades into mummys and ghouls. However he has asked me to bring him back as an intelligent undead such as a vampire.

How would I go about doing this? (Rebuking Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / True Necromancer 3)
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: How do I revive a teammate as a vampire?

The only way to Vamp somebody with magic is the epic spell seed Animate Dead. So, yeah.
    Libris Mortis has rules for playing as various types of intelligent undead that you might look into, (Morghs, Ghouls, Mummies, free-willed vampire spawn, Wights ect) and that work great for being added later (essentially you take levels in a monster class). I would check those out and talk to your DM about it. If he really wants to become a vampire I would see if your DM will let you do somthing to vamp him and use the Vampire Spawn moster class from Libris Mortis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Do remember that mummy is intelligent undead too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    Do remember that mummy is intelligent undead too.
    So is the ghoul. In fact, the only core non-intelligent undead that I can currently recall is the zombie and skeleton.

Besides, the LA for a vampire sucks.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The only way to Vamp somebody with magic is the epic spell seed Animate Dead. So, yeah.
    Libris Mortis has rules for playing as various types of intelligent undead that you might look into, (Morghs, Ghouls, Mummies, free-willed vampire spawn, Wights ect) and that work great for being added later (essentially you take levels in a monster class). I would check those out and talk to your DM about it. If he really wants to become a vampire I would see if your DM will let you do somthing to vamp him and use the Vampire Spawn moster class from Libris Mortis.
    Bold Text: I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the help everybody. Once again this board solves lives D&D problems.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    So is the ghoul. In fact, the only core non-intelligent undead that I can currently recall is the zombie and skeleton.

Besides, the LA for a vampire sucks.
    Yes, but unfortunately, most of them aren't templates you can add to an existing character - Allips, Bodak's, Devourers, Ghoul's, Ghasts, Mohrgs, Nightcrawlers, Nightwings, Nightwings, Shadows, Spectre's, Vampire Spawn, Wights, and Wraiths are all specific creatues - they're not templates you add to an existing creature. If you're turned into a Ghoul, you lose all your class levels, by default.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Yes, but unfortunately, most of them aren't templates you can add to an existing character - Allips, Bodak's, Devourers, Ghoul's, Ghasts, Mohrgs, Nightcrawlers, Nightwings, Nightwings, Shadows, Spectre's, Vampire Spawn, Wights, and Wraiths are all specific creatues - they're not templates you add to an existing creature. If you're turned into a Ghoul, you lose all your class levels, by default.
    Libris Mortis has rules for becoming Vamp Spawn, Wights, Ghouls and Mohrgs while keeping class levels.

Essentially, they made a couple "Monster" PRC's, as you level up in them you gain more nifty things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So using Create Undead to turn him into a mummy will lose him his nine class levels? Hmmm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    So using Create Undead to turn him into a mummy will lose him his nine class levels? Hmmm.
    There's a PrC in Savage Species that lets a player get back all the abilities they had before becoming undead. But they keep their Racial HD and levels in the PrC, which might make them a little bit unbalanced...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Unless you have Savage Species. Then Spectre, Wight, and Wraith are templates.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Simple. Use the spell "DM intervention", material component pizza
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Simple. Use the spell "DM intervention", material component pizza
    Its a pbp game. Got any virtual pizza?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Its a pbp game. Got any virtual pizza?
    110011100100100110010010101010110. There you go.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

With Libris Mortis, though, you can try to persuade the DM to allow the use of, say, the gravetouched ghoul template, and the mummified template.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Unless you have Savage Species. Then Spectre, Wight, and Wraith are templates.
    and if you have The Dragon magazine compendium, Bodak is also a template.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

If your DM allows you to use a spell to bring him back as a Vampire, you can find out about the Vampire Savage Progression Racial Class in this article from the WotC site. Once you revive him he just starts taking levels in the Vampire "class" instead of normal class levels, though you don't necessarily have to take all the Vampire levels in order. (Of course, having it all laid out doesn't necessarily mean the 8 "levels" of no HP, BAB, or anything don't completely suck.)
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    If your DM allows you to use a spell to bring him back as a Vampire, you can find out about the Vampire Savage Progression Racial Class in this article from the WotC site. Once you revive him he just starts taking levels in the Vampire "class" instead of normal class levels, though you don't necessarily have to take all the Vampire levels in order. (Of course, having it all laid out doesn't necessarily mean the 8 "levels" of no HP, BAB, or anything don't completely suck.)
    I think you mean that you don't have to take all 8 levels uninterrupted. You still have to take them in order.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You also have to take all the levels in a racial class before you can level up in anything else.

So there is pretty much no avoiding the 8 dead levels.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You also have to take all the levels in a racial class before you can level up in anything else.

So there is pretty much no avoiding the 8 dead levels.
    That is actually incorrect, at least in the case of template-classes. I actually made sure to check the linked article for that clause before my previous post, and it actually says the opposite.

How many times can I say 'actually' in a single post??! Jeez...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't now abaout losing levels but create undead can create any undead, but the link abaout template levels is great too
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Um, no. If you're talking about the create undead spell, the types of undead you can create with it are clearly spelled out. And vampire is not one of them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

In 3.0 you could use Create Greater Undead to create a vampire, but it looks like that got edited out in 3.5

Maybe you could use the incantation variant rules from UA. you might be able to convince the DM to do it that way.

If it's something the player really wants to do, talk to the DM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I think you mean that you don't have to take all 8 levels uninterrupted. You still have to take them in order.
    Yeah, yeah. I knew what I meant, at least.

And yeah, Killian's right about not having to take all the levels before taking levels in other classes:

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession. For example, a character who takes a level of wereboar could then take a level of fighter and a level of rogue (or any other combination of other class levels) before taking another level of wereboar. A character must still take the first level of wereboar before taking the second, just as with a normal class.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium