Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What version do you play? (DnD)

So, I'm just curious here. What version of DnD (only applicable to those that play DnD, obviously) do you play?

Even if you are currently between-campaigns/groups, what version would you prefer to be playing if you were able to?

Although you are welcome to briefly state why you like your version of choice, I would encourage people not to debate the merits of each edition too much here, and to limit the number of posts they make in this thread, which is mainly meant to be a poll. This is also meant to address the question of "what version do these forums most favor?".
    (if I could just make a bloody poll, I would)

1) 4E. You like and embrace the new edition, and intend on continuing to play it.

2) 3.5E. You like the previous, more complex edition and intend on continuing to play it with only minor alterations if any.

3) 3.5E with major houseruling/alternate systems such as Pathfinder or Frank's Tome series or your own personal project. If your houserules are more then, say, 5 pages long, you probably belong in this catagory.

4) 3.0E You didn't care for the upgrade, so you still largely play RAW 3.0E and are happy doing so. Note that if you mix some 3.0 and 3.5 elements but it isn't largely unmodified 3.0, you likely belong in #2 (maybe #3).

5) AD&D 2E with players options and other supplimental materials. Possibly including large amounts of homebrew or fan-made content. You are very happy with the game you or your parents grew up with and intend on continuing to enjoy it regardless of what new things this 'WotC' puts out.

6) BD&D with little to no modifications. You just play this oldschool game without all the suppliments or fuss others may make of it and enjoy it.

7) AD&D 1E or other old versions. You like the classic game, and don't see the value of what has 'evolved' from it. You like your elf and see no reason to move on to newer things.

Tally:

1) Dhavaer, Oracle_Hunter, Charity, RebelRogue, Starsinger, Glug, ColdSepp, Eorran, Britter, Tadanori Oyama, Gryndle, Dentarthur, Tengu_temp, Isomenes, Beleriphon, erikun, acirruscloud, Skyserpent, Gralamin, Aenghus, Erk, TwoBitWriter, nowiwantmydmg, DM Raven
    Total: 22

2) Slaanesh, Ascension, black dragoon, Jack Zander, ghost_warlock, Adumbration, Albonor, monty, Ent, Frosty, *****, NEO|Phyte, Eldan, Erothayce, Kurald Galain, AslanCross, Krimm_Blackleaf, Gerrtt, vegetalss4, Shazzbaa, Teron, Xenogears, Roog, Oslecamo, Thurbane, Sirek Inta, Vortling, DigoDragon, only1doug
    Total: 29

3) Kizara, Break, thegurullamen, Wolfpack, Mastikator, arguskos, drengnikrafe, SeeKay, Edea, BobVosh, Ashtar, bosssmiley, DeathQuaker, Quirinus_Obsidian, Areswargod139, Tehnar
    Total: 16

4) Thrud
    Total: 1

5) Swordguy, Matthew, Thane of Fife, Tormsskull, Mark Hall
    Total: 5

6) (empty)
    Total: 0

7) nagora, ken-do-nim
    Total: 2

So, share your preferences with the board!
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-19 at 02:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What version do you play? (DnD)

I would mostly be in 3.5 stragiht up, but also abit in 4e.

Why in 4e? Sometimesd I want a simple hack and slash, that I can enjoy over some dice with friends and pizza.

Why 3.5? It's what I grew up with. It's what I read when I was sick, hoarded money to buy, and loved, at least as much as any videogame, probly more. It's our world, and we want to go adventuring, maybe Eberron, maybe Iron kingdoms... good times... Which I can still enjoy!
    trill in da playground

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

2.) 3.5. I'm not violently opposed to 4E, but I don't plan to switch until I can't find any 3.5 players anywhere... which pretty much means I don't plan to switch at all.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

3.5 with a fair amount of houseruling, mostly in class abilities - I suppose this places me in camp #3. I'll play 4E occasionally, but it simply doesn't have the qualities that make it my go-to edition, as I'm rather torn about it.
    Last edited by Break; 2008-09-15 at 10:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

3.5 with houseruling here and there. I've also played a little 2nd andhave vaguely considered 4E.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

1) and 2).
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

5E Class: Spellsword

5E Spells: Alternate Damage Cantrips

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    1) and 2).
    Please pick your strongest preferance. I want people to consider this a poll and I won't get accurate results if people can 'vote twice.'

It's fine if you share your thoughts on how you also like *other choice*, but I DO need you to pick one, please. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Categories should probably be...

OD&D
    AD&D 1e
    BD&D
    AD&D 2e

...but I digress.

I generally play a mix of BD&D/AD&D, with a bit of C&C thrown in.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-09-15 at 10:23 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Categories should probably be...

OD&D
    AD&D 1e
    BD&D
    AD&D 2e

...but I digress.

I generally play a mix of BD&D/AD&D, with a bit of C&C thrown in.
    So, choice 7? Sorry if its not completely accurate, my own ignorance in that matter is the cause of such. I also don't want too many very similar choices.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    So, choice 7? Sorry if its not completely accurate, my own ignorance in that matter is the cause of such. I also don't want too many very similar choices.
    I would probably have to say #5 or #6. AD&D 2e is the most forgiving as regards whether you're still playing AD&D or not (since it is intended to be house ruled to hell and back). AD&D 1e is more likely to take a hard line; the problem is that a large number of gamers started with BD&D and moved onto AD&D, but didn't necessarily entirely adopt the workings of the latter. Very confusing, I admit.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

11. - Top - End - #11

I would probably have to say #5 or #6. AD&D 2e is the most forgiving as regards whether you're still playing AD&D or not (since it is intended to be house ruled to hell and back). AD&D 1e is more likely to take a hard line; the problem is that a large number of gamers started with BD&D and moved onto AD&D, but didn't necessarily entirely adopt the workings of the latter. Very confusing, I admit.
    How would you phrase choices 5, 6 and 7? I want this to be fair to people like you with your gaming preferances but lack the knowledge to comprehensively do so.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

2. I had considered pathfinder or similar things in the future, but haven't gotten around to suggesting them to my group.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

4E, and I'm interested in 2E, but haven't played it. There's pretty much nothing about 3E that I like.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

How would you phrase choices 5, 6 and 7? I want this to be fair to people like you with your gaming preferances but lack the knowledge to comprehensively do so.
    Hard to say. Probably:

#5 AD&D 2e

#6 BD&D

#7 AD&D 1e

Most folks who play out of print editions understand what those broad divisions signify, though each could be subdivided further; however, those are the divisions of the subforums at Dragonsfoot, and they seem to work pretty well in that capacity.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-09-15 at 10:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Group 3. Go alterations on a great passtime!
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

16. - Top - End - #16

Number 2 for me please!

I've never had any of the theoretical problems anyone on these boards seem to have with 3.5 and no one in my group sees any real reason to switch if we're already having fun and don't want to spend any more money.

Also, none of our campaigns ever make it much past 10th level. This is probably because all our DMs (myself included) get lazy after so long and run out of ideas/motivation.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I'd play 3.5, not sure whether it'd fall into #2 or #3 of your categories above; I tend to homebrew a lot of stuff for any game I play and some of those fall into houserules as much as new content. Traditionally, regarding the published rules, my groups have only made relatively few/small changes (omitting stuff like shivering touch and upgrading some of the weaker classes, such as using the hexblade fix).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm currently playing both, 4th and 3.5. I'm also mastering 3.5. I was actually pleasantly surprised by 4th, and plan to move my 3rd Edition campaign into 4th as soon as the current story arc finishes.
    "You know that a conjurer gets no credit once he has explained his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all." - Sherlock Holmes to Watson

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, I play all of them BUT #'s 2, 3, and 4.

If I have to narrow this response to just one number, though, I'd go in the end with number 5. - AD&D 2e with supplementary material (mainly the old brown "Complete X" series of books).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Please pick your strongest preferance. I want people to consider this a poll and I won't get accurate results if people can 'vote twice.'

It's fine if you share your thoughts on how you also like *other choice*, but I DO need you to pick one, please. :)
    *shrug*

I'll only DM 4e, so I'll go with 1).
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

5E Class: Spellsword

5E Spells: Alternate Damage Cantrips

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

NecromancerGirl

Well I fit in 2 most often, and when I'm lucky 3. But 3 is pretty broad, Frank & K are very different then Pathfinder, and I would only ever play one of them.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hard to say. Probably:

#5 AD&D 2e

#6 BD&D

#7 AD&D 1e

Most folks who play out of print editions understand what those broad divisions signify, though each could be subdivided further; however, those are the divisions of the subforums at Dragonsfoot, and they seem to work pretty well in that capacity.
    Done, thank you. Now, where are you in those options? :)

To others, you have to VOTE for something. I understand it when you talk about your various preferances, but its a poll people.

If you don't know if you fall into 2 or 3, the main premise is if you alter the published material to any great extent. And as I said, if your houserules are longer then like 4-5 pages, you probably fall in there as well.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-15 at 11:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

NecromancerGirl

To others, you have to VOTE for something. I understand it when you talk about your various preferances, but its a poll people.

If you don't know if you fall into 2 or 3, the main premise is if you alter the published material to any great extent. And as I said, if your houserules are longer then like 4-5 pages, you probably fall in there as well.
    I like to play 3 more then two, but Tome games are far and few between, and I've only ever been in 3 such games. The vast majority run using 3.5 with minor-no alterations.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Option 3.
    Though I am looking into house ruling the 4th edition heavily too.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

No problem. I would be option #5.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-09-15 at 11:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Option 2: 3.5 E

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Option 2). Minor rules change and style of play. Other than that I kinda like 3.5 as it is.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

4e, straight up. It's what I run, and as soon as I can find a game, it's what I'll play too. The powers and class abilities are neat, the mechanics are smooth as silk, and Warlords are awesome.

I do play 3.5, but only 'cause I'm in an ongoing 3.5 game.

Personal Commentary
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's plenty fun, but I keep running into stuff which makes me say "man, this is ridiculous. 4e does it much better." #1 on that list is leveling-up; it seriously took our party a 1/2 hour to level up to 8th level... I'm talking about just doing skill points and picking new spells here. 9th, we just said "level up between sessions."

There is no reason leveling up should take that much time.

#2 is every time my Rogue runs into something it can't sneak attack. I would turn it into a drinking game, but our sessions are rather long and I'd rather not black out
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-09-16 at 12:04 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    #2 is every time my Rogue runs into something it can't sneak attack. I would turn it into a drinking game, but our sessions are rather long and I'd rather not black out

Please do not overtly flame other editions or options. I do not want this to turn into a debate/flame thread.

Keep such comments to yourself please. In fact I request that you edit your post.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-15 at 11:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

3.5, mostly unmodified. It's the first version I learned (couple of years ago), and I have no reason or desire to switch.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous