New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Hexer flavored character[3.5]

so my sunday games we decided to switch it up a bit and well i have two ideas for characters one was a summoner, but my other which i kinda wanted to play more what flavored around hexing people... I really like the Hexblade class but its realy underpowered even with the fix(which the gm oked), i thought of maybe making a gish of hexblade/sorcerer with the witch variant spell list from the DMG. As that would make it a bit better. The Gm also suggested a Hexblade/favored soul for the divine debuffs...

Where currently playing Eberron.. at level 5 any one have any ideas for me for some thing optimized but with out any cheese... as I believe me gm is allergic.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Hexer flavored character[3.5]

I once found a fix to the hexblade class somewhere that looked pretty good. Give me a minute, and I'll try to find it.

EDIT: And here it is. Note that this fix has been done by one of those who actually made the class.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-09-16 at 02:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If its the Fix that was posted on the WOTC boards by a WOTC staff... the one thats in the Hexblade handbook... ya i have that he approved it still feels underpowered.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Do you mind being evil? Because Hexblade>Blackguard maybe with a Fighter level or 2 for feats is pretty straightforward. You get Aura of Dispair to debuff targets you are close to, on top of your Dark Companion (PHBII) and Hex. Then take one of the fear based feats like Fightening Presence that forces will saves when you charge or attack to stack even more save penalties. Since these effects also lower AC, you can take more advantage of PA, especially with a 2handed weapon. Person Man had a nice collection of things that add stacking fear modifiers, and a character based around stacking debuffs, including fear effects, wouldn't be a terrible idea, so long as you didn't encounter too many undead/constructs/plants/vermin/oozes/etc.

You'd also have decent defenses, since both Blackguard and Hexblade give you +cha to saves, BG vs all saves, HB for saves vs spells. Debuffed foes will also have a harder time hitting you, which is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by lussmanj View Post
    Do you mind being evil? Because Hexblade>Blackguard maybe with a Fighter level or 2 for feats is pretty straightforward. You get Aura of Dispair to debuff targets you are close to, on top of your Dark Companion (PHBII) and Hex. Then take one of the fear based feats like Fightening Presence that forces will saves when you charge or attack to stack even more save penalties. Since these effects also lower AC, you can take more advantage of PA, especially with a 2handed weapon. Person Man had a nice collection of things that add stacking fear modifiers, and a character based around stacking debuffs, including fear effects, wouldn't be a terrible idea, so long as you didn't encounter too many undead/constructs/plants/vermin/oozes/etc.

You'd also have decent defenses, since both Blackguard and Hexblade give you +cha to saves, BG vs all saves, HB for saves vs spells. Debuffed foes will also have a harder time hitting you, which is a good thing.
    Sadly I can't be evil :( which sucks.. i think its down between gishing my self between hexblade and either warlock or sorcerer with the witch spell list.... ehh im not sure.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'd make an Archivist and go into the old Hexer prestige class from Masters of the Wild. It wasn't ever reprinted from 3.0, but it should still be legal as long as you update the skills. The "primitive humanoid" racial requirement could be met by playing any race but saying he's from a primitive culture, or if that's not acceptable go with something like a (Dragonwrought) Kobold. Archivist is especially good because it can learn nearly any spell in the game. If you have any trouble finding a particular spell, just cast Secret Page to put it into your book for free and learn it from that. Refer to his Prayerbook as his Book of Hexes or somesuch, the class can easily be reflavored to exactly what you're looking for with no modification to the class features, and it's the only class besides Adept that can qualify you for the spellcasting requirement of Hexer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net): -2 to attacks, -4 to Dex. PHB.
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lasso): -2 to attacks, -4 to Dex. BoED.
    Dreadful Wrath: Enemies must save vs. Fear, which stacks. PGtF.
    Frightful Presence: Basically the same as Dreadful Wrath. Draconomicon.
    Brutal Strike: Save or be Sickened. PHBII.
    Netherese Battle Curse: Expend a spell slot to hex. LEoF.

Note that most of these can be done by ANYONE. So you're not limited to being a Hexblade, just because it has hexer fluff. IMO, the best Hexer is a Bard with Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin) which imposes a -10 penalty for one round.

A very wide variety of spells debuff in a wide variety of ways as well. If you do go Hexblade, you have access to many of them. Remember that your familiar can hold the charge of a spell. And that you can use any wand or other spell trigger item for a spell that's on your spell list, even if you can't cast it yet.

And it almost goes without mentioning that you need to tag team with another caster to really take down your enemies.
    Last edited by Person_Man; 2008-09-17 at 09:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Maybe go for a binder? Focalor has some decent debuff at lower levels and with the feat that improves your effective binder level by +2 for the purposes of what vestiges you can successfully contact, you should easily have access to him (I think he's either level 3 or 4, but I'm AFB and on my lunch break at work, so no real time to double check.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    Maybe go for a binder? Focalor has some decent debuff at lower levels and with the feat that improves your effective binder level by +2 for the purposes of what vestiges you can successfully contact, you should easily have access to him (I think he's either level 3 or 4, but I'm AFB and on my lunch break at work, so no real time to double check.)
    no TOM unfortunatly...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    I once found a fix to the hexblade class somewhere that looked pretty good. Give me a minute, and I'll try to find it.

EDIT: And here it is. Note that this fix has been done by one of those who actually made the class.
    Hope it helps.

Vastly weaker than the Duskblade, and very poorly executed.

@ Op: Try this one instead. It should do everything you want to do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Vastly weaker than the Duskblade, and very poorly executed.

@ Op: Try this one instead. It should do everything you want to do.
    ehh its not bad the person didn't realy give progression on invocation's nor am i a big fan of invocation progression by non warlock/DFAs

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    ehh its not bad the person didn't realy give progression on invocation's nor am i a big fan of invocation progression by non warlock/DFAs
    You're just not looking in the right places. Check the OP of that thread for a link to download a PDF file. The second post has the class features only, I couldn't upload both PDFs in one post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

mabye im blind but i don't see it can you post a link then to the direct download?

14. - Top - End - #14

mabye im blind but i don't see it can you post a link then to the direct download?
    Hexblade Improvement. Vastly more powerful than the origianl, but doesn't stand up to 7th level or higher spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Hexblade Improvement. Vastly more powerful than the origianl, but doesn't stand up to 7th level or higher spells.
    heh i see its cuz im not a member thank you though.

16. - Top - End - #16

heh i see its cuz im not a member thank you though.
    Join up. Its free, very quick, and worth-while once your post count gets high enough.