Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 958
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Azure city ships equal Azure City territory.
    Nope. Not in any real world legal system. International or maritime law applies.

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    You know what. You could be right. It would mean that killing unarmed prisoners with out trial is not murder because:

    Its not home territory (even if its aboard ship)

    He won't be convicted (even if we don't know that ahead of time)

    He's not a non-combatant (even if he's bound)

    Killing prisoners without trial isn't murder in core D&D (even if it is in every D&D source that discusses prisoners)

    Killing evil beings is never murder (eevn if several sources refute this)

    I am tired of arguing. You could be right. It would mean that all these other sources are wrong but, you could be right.
    No, it doesn't mean all these other sources are wrong. Those sources are talking about the generic case.

    This is a specific one.

    You also slant the facts of the case in a way that "proves" your point. Rather like Kabuto would do in his case, if he got it.

    His status as non-combatant is not relevant to the definition in the BoED you cited. Point scratched.

    Never said killing evil beings is NEVER evil. Point scratched.

    He has never been convicted in the past and says he will not be convicted now. He'd hardly say that in court. And this point is not germane to whether this is murder. Point scratched.

    It is not home territory because it is international waters. You missed that bit. Point scratched by your lying by omission.


    Which only leaves your assertion that several DnD sources assert killing of prisoners is murder. But there ARE cases where killing prisoners isn't murder. All it takes to prove wrong the statement "all swans are white" is the exhibition of ONE black swan.

  2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that American law applies aboard American ships. Maybe thats just the media.

    EDIT: And which case asserts that killing of unarmed prisoners is not murder, precisely? I'm curious.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-09-24 at 03:22 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #903
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that American law applies aboard American ships. Maybe thats just the media.

    EDIT: And which case asserts that killing of unarmed prisoners is not murder, precisely? I'm curious.
    Just the media. It can be convention too. But if you are punished under american law in international waters, you can either accept that result or appeal to either

    a) International law
    b) The Court of Human Rights that binds ANY signatory to NATO)
    c) Maritime law

    Aint law (in the real world) odd.

  4. - Top - End - #904
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    and does anything like these exist in OoTS world?

    Maybe the closest thing would be Vile Darkness/ Exalted, which asserts that, regardless of the state of law in a country, certain acts are evil, and certain acts are Good.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-09-24 at 03:29 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #905
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    and does anything like these exist in OoTS world?
    Does it NOT exist?

  6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    But the BoED says ANY use of poison is an Evil act. No IF no BUT.

    But poison that only hurts Evil alignments, well, that's not poison, so isn't evil.

    Consistency: Nil.
    Agreed. Look at the CV Ninja, has poison use but not evil.

    The extreme alignment books suck. I'd never trust them.

  7. - Top - End - #907
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    EDIT: And which case asserts that killing of unarmed prisoners is not murder, precisely? I'm curious.
    1) When you've taken them to court to stand trial and they lost. (they are still prisoners)

    2) When you cannot accept them as prisoners (e.g. in wartime)

    3) When you cannot take them to any lawful authority that will give justice

    4) When their armed status does not mean they are unable to harm innocents

    5) When they "committed suicide in their cell. Honest". (in so far as if it WERE murder, the police would be in court)

    6) If they are a Brazillian NOT wearing a big heavy jacket, NOT avoided paying the fare, NOT ignored demands to stop (because no stop order was given) and they are being held down by two (or was it three?) officers, one of whom shoots them in the head six times and misses once. That wasn't murder.

  8. - Top - End - #908
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    shakes019's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Wow. Page 31. Pretty soon we'll need a second thread.

    Anyway, I thought that V's response was completely consistent with the character. The mission is more important than resolving the dynastic disputes of the former rulers of AC. So let's just fast track that and get back to the matter at hand.

    Plus if they fail in their mission, everything else ceases to be relevant anyway.

  9. - Top - End - #909
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    You are failing to make distinction between a crime committed and a crime charged for. Just cos person gets away with it doesn't mean crime was not committed.

    and there is a transition from"the prisoner to "the condemned" Even so, a killing before time of execution coould be murder.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-09-24 at 03:53 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #910
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    You are failing to make distinction between a crime committed and a crime charged for. Just cos person gets away with it doesn't mean crime was not committed.
    And you're doing that too.

    If the courts find "not guilty" this doesn't mean the accused is not guilty.

    And so if they ARE guilty, justice has not been served. So the "unlawful" killing as defined by "not letting a court decide if it should happen" is justified even for a lawful person (if the ethics of that lawful person mean that justice MUST ALWAYS BE SERVED. cf Mercykillers and Judge Dredd).

  11. - Top - End - #911
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    there is a big jump between "person I know was guilty was not convicted" and "Justice has not been served" One of the principles behind the justice system is that people get a fair hearing.

    If, as a result, guilty people are not convicted, that doesn't mean the system is not just, and that "justice has not been served"

  12. - Top - End - #912
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    there is a big jump between "person I know was guilty was not convicted" and "Justice has not been served"
    Not if they really ARE guilty.

    One of the principles behind the justice system is that people get a fair hearing.

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If, as a result, guilty people are not convicted, that doesn't mean the system is not just, and that "justice has not been served"
    OUR justice system. Western common law. Not Justice. Justice system. A system that INTENDS to ensure that justice is served and injustice avoided. But the justice system cannot know unless there's a confession in court or if they petition God to turn up and he does. So rather than risk INjustice they will abandon justice.

  13. - Top - End - #913
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Not convicting someone when there is "not enough evidence" is hardly abandoning justice, in D&D or real world.

    However that is only my opinion.

  14. - Top - End - #914
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Hampshireland

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    What I'm finding odd about all this discussion is this: Why are so many people assuming V is good-aligned? He's struck me as neutral from the beginning. and secondly, he's not a freakin' paladin. He can go into moral grey areas. I personally have no issue with what he did, and I think it was the smartest decision to be made.

  15. - Top - End - #915
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    I am happy to accept that V is Neutral rather than Evil, and even that, in Machiavellian terms, it was "necessary" However I draw the line at saying the act itself was non-evil. Lots of justification, but still murder.

  16. - Top - End - #916
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I am happy to accept that V is Neutral rather than Evil, and even that, in Machiavellian terms, it was "necessary" However I draw the line at saying the act itself was non-evil. Lots of justification, but still murder.
    You can.

    I don't.

    I can see this as Good. I can see this as the best option. I can see this as justice. I can see this as necessary. I can see this as frustration. I can see this as showing off.

    (NG).(CG).(LN).(TN).(CN).(CE).Due to the lack of emotion, I can't really see it as LE or NE, but maybe someone can find it.


    I can't see it as murder since we have no ruling on what that means. Like "piracy" it is a loaded word as when someone took me to task because I used "murderer" in the same sentence as "cop" even though I mentioned there WAS a difference.

    Such an emotionally loaded word therefore doesn't add anything other than emotion that doesn't need and definitely doesn't WANT proof for it.

  17. - Top - End - #917
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Main reason to use it? Its only form of killing in D&D thats specifically called out as Evil, and in Fiendish Codex 2 has a corruption rating. In D&D, whether a killing is murder or not, has a bearing on how DM must handle alignment, and so, the term is needed.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-09-24 at 04:28 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #918
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Main reason to use it? Its only form of killing in D&D thats specifically called out as Evil, and in Fiendish Codex 2 has a corruption rating. In D&D, whether a killing is murder or not, has a bearing on how DM must handle alignment, and so, the term is needed.
    Use what? A ticking stick?

    If you mean the only reason for using the word "murder" then we are again in the realm of tautology ("read a book" as One Ton Tony was told by his puppet hand):

    It's evil because it's murder and it's murder because that is what is evil.

  19. - Top - End - #919
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Yes, using this "emotionally loaded word"

    what constitutes murder is something D&D does not define very well, so it leaves it to the real world. "DMG: Assume commonsense laws like Murder, assault, theft, and treason are illegal."

    If they had to define them fully, the book would be much thicker.
    Why have D&D book loaded with text to define something that takes a long time to define in the real world? Simpler to go "Would this be deemed murder?"

    And arguments about maritime law miss a point: would you say: yes, killing someone without provocation is evil here but not there" Inconsistant.

  20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The great state of denial

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Main reason to use it? Its only form of killing in D&D thats specifically called out as Evil, and in Fiendish Codex 2 has a corruption rating. In D&D, whether a killing is murder or not, has a bearing on how DM must handle alignment, and so, the term is needed.
    Unless you're a slayer of Domiel.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

  21. - Top - End - #921
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    which do not have a specified exception to what constitutes murder or not in their entry, so are stuck with normal exalted rules, which means, effectively, that they can only kill in self defense or against armed opponents during wartime. That is, if you take the view that Slayers are still bound by the exalted code.

  22. - Top - End - #922
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    what constitutes murder is something D&D does not define very well
    Yup. And this comic is based on what...?

    And in real world, murder is defined but depending on where or when you pick your societal mores, V's actions are not murder.

    In Real Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    And arguments about maritime law miss a point: would you say: yes, killing someone without provocation is evil here but not there" Inconsistant.
    And V's case was not "without provocation" so how does it apply to V's case?
    Last edited by Eric; 2008-09-24 at 04:58 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #923
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Exalted Deeds: no matter what your societies values, good and evil remain the same.

    What would be real-world justification that would make killing an unarmed prisoner, being dleieved to the magistrates, not murder? And which one: Exalted tends toward modern, western principles: Racism is evil, sexism is evil, etc.

    EDIT: My views have been stated, I leave it to fellow posters to make up their own minds.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-09-24 at 05:07 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #924
    Banned
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Exalted Deeds: no matter what your societies values, good and evil remain the same.
    Exalted Deeds: not core.

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    What would be real-world justification that would make killing an unarmed prisoner, being dleieved to the magistrates, not murder? And which one: Exalted tends toward modern, western principles: Racism is evil, sexism is evil, etc.
    If you're a copper and your story believed?

    If you were killing a spy.

    If you were in wartime and could not look after the prisoner.

    NOTE: The above are just the ones that exist in the real world, where calling in a 200ft demon is not just close your eyes and hum. In a world where that happens, you have many more.

    In an AD&D game, you have:

    Where you are deep in Evil Overlord country.

    Where there is no judge with jurisdiction (possibly BECAUSE you're in EO country).

    Where you are CG and the best good that can be done is to kill them.

    Where you are LN and the law you live by allows you to be Judge, Jury and Executioner.

    Where you are CN and you're a nutter.

    Where you're in a lich's undead lair and the goblins are currently asleep. (EDIT: NOTE: don't wake them up and then ask if they want to surrender unless your alignment is Stupid Good)
    Last edited by Eric; 2008-09-24 at 05:18 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #925
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    shakes019's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread


  26. - Top - End - #926
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that American law applies aboard American ships. Maybe thats just the media.
    As an American, it's my impression that Americans generally believe that American law applies everywhere.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-24 at 06:24 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    As an American, it's my impression that Americans generally believe that American law applies everywhere.
    Manifest Destiny or something like that, correct?

  28. - Top - End - #928
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Well, didn't see that coming and I have to say I don't think this event was entertaining. Personally I consider this one of the more boring turns the comic took in the last time

  29. - Top - End - #929
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    foil_fedora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    "Meddle not in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
    - J. R. R. Tolkein

    "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind"

    - Rich Burlew

    OK, so maybe not so subtle all the time...

  30. - Top - End - #930
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that American law applies aboard American ships. Maybe thats just the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    As an American, it's my impression that Americans generally believe that American law applies everywhere.
    A nation's law usually applies on all of the nation's territories which includes military vessels (but not civilian vessels).

    US law should apply on board of US navy ships, no matter whether they're on harbor at an US port, a foreign port or out on sea. On the other hand the US seems to make exceptions for certain US holdings outside of US mainland.

    Usually the scope of a law is described somewhere in it's first few

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •