New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

What's up with V's every speech bubble being nitpicked for the four words? I know this here is an obsessive bunch but come on...

As for consequences: Irrelevant. V is the most powerful thing around here, none can stop him from doing whatever he wants. Only Durkon or Elan can try to reason with him but seeing V's condition, it's unlikely. Even if everyone turns against him, he can leave (or sink the whole armada if it comes to that).

There WILL be consequences: Hinjo could never agree with this, Elan will be stuck between them, there's probably a lot of nobles on Kubota's side... But they'll only serve to further define V's character, because (this bears repeating) there's no one who can stop him.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yeep. That was... unexpected. I don't quite understand the clamoring of "awesome" here... the COMIC is superb, great expressions and timing, but man, V's not doing too hot with the murdering-prisoners-to-save-time thing. At least last time they had the reason that the prisoners would have escaped and killed lots of people... here, V seems as likely to start a war as prevent one.

I guess we'll see what happens. Seems like unless they can really play dumb -- and you'd think Kazumi at least was right there watching from the ship -- the very least that can happen is Hinjo kicking them out of the group. Which is maybe what V is going for.
    Last edited by Toper; 2008-09-22 at 07:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

V is the (Wo)Man!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Just to point out, Kubota DID send an imp that DID try to kill the party V was in. That included V himself.

So, in effect, Kubota tried to kill V.

Well, V tried to kill Kubota.

One of them succeeded. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Just a thought, in regards to the whole "Elan ratting out V" idea. I think there's a low level spell called alter memory. As the name suggests it allows you to alter 5 minutes of memory. V could use that to make elan remeber things differantly..
    Not saying it will happen though
    : Proud Veteran Warrior of The Roy fan club.
    : Proud Member of the Redcloak fan club

These hands of mine have been dirty for a long time now Suzaku, your coming to face me now doesn't matter at all. Hell I welcome it even.
    I mean of course you and I are friends.
    {Begins laughing Maniacally as the city around him falls apart}

Lelouch Vi Brittania's reaction to a deaththreat from his best friend. Badass

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    What's up with V's every speech bubble being nitpicked for the four words? I know this here is an obsessive bunch but come on...

As for consequences: Irrelevant. V is the most powerful thing around here, none can stop him from doing whatever he wants. Only Durkon or Elan can try to reason with him but seeing V's condition, it's unlikely. Even if everyone turns against him, he can leave (or sink the whole armada if it comes to that).

There WILL be consequences: Hinjo could never agree with this, Elan will be stuck between them, there's probably a lot of nobles on Kubota's side... But they'll only serve to further define V's character, because (this bears repeating) there's no one who can stop him.
    V is smart enough to realize that everything you say is true and perceptive enough to notice it once Elan and the rest turn against him (or her). Once he (or she) discovers that "there's no one who can stop him [or her]", how far away can ultimate arcane power be?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Holy Freaking Crap +3! That was sweet. V finally does something good.
    Heal yourself * Hurt yourself * Judge yourself

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just got back from a midnight shift at work and I'm treated to this utter awesomeness! This is the first time in a long while that this comic has inspired a verbal reaction out of me. It was a kind of exalted "Ohhh..."

Also, look what's written in my signature about V. It's happening.
    My ever deviating TOP OOTS CHARACTERS list

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    *awesome picture*
    Truth.

Also, *begins channeling the little kid from The Incredibles*:
    That was AWESOME!
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Apparentally "Those ninjas were obviously sent by somebody else and were just trying to smear my good name" is a legitimate legal defense, so considering that V and Elan were the only witnesses, saying "Kubuto chose to commit honorable suicide by jumping into the ocean with all that heavy armor on" should be equally legitimate.
    No one would believe it. More significantly, neither Elan nor Hinjo will condone that line. Nor will the Katos, who may well have been watching the event. Remember Kazumi trying to stop Elan in the previous strip? I believe she saw V approaching and tried to tell Elan not put himself at risk.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um... V.....

V...

That isn't nice.

In fact, V, I would put that down as murder.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING V?????????????

You have just gone through to the evil side!

STOP IT V!!!! Come back to the light!!!!!!!!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Hrm...well this proves that V isn't Lawful Good. Now, does (s)he count as Neutral or Chaotic due to this...

13. - Top - End - #163

SolithKnightGuy

I think their time with the Azurites is drawing to a close... After all, if V's remained persistant, he's got a chance of having contacted Haley by now. He'd have little love for staying on a boat for any longer than he had to, and what better way to convince them to make a stop ASAP?

Think the statements of 'awesome' are a combo of V just having destroyed a page-upon-page enemy in two panels (with style), and those who were pretty much thinking the same thing. 'Let's get on with saving the world, shall we?'

14. - Top - End - #164

It's because it's him saying the right (debatably) thing at the right time to the right being for all the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by busterswd; 2008-09-22 at 07:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa...that was...whoa...
    Avatar by me. Coloring by Crimmy.

Come one, come all! My Drawngs! Here!!!

My Deviant Art Page: Turayl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWilliam View Post
    Man, every time you think 'could this stuff POSSIBLY get any cooler,' Vulion takes yet another level in Badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Thanks Vulion, you're awesome.
    Vulion, Awesome Incarnate, coming to an art request near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Also, I'm surprised this thread hasn't exploded due to over-awesomeness yet Vul.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    No one would believe it. More significantly, neither Elan nor Hinjo will condone that line. Nor will the Katos, who may well have been watching the event. Remember Kazumi trying to stop Elan in the previous strip? I believe she saw V approaching and tried to tell Elan not put himself at risk.
    Bom, Elan ou Hinjo confirmarem não é tanto problema assim. Além do que, francamente, é um cara que efetivamente tentou matar o V.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Hrm...well this proves that V isn't Lawful Good. Now, does (s)he count as Neutral or Chaotic due to this...
    While I certainly wouldn't argue that V is lawful, execute-on-the-spot behavior (even when it's against local laws) can be lawful under certain circumstances; for instance, if the character has an insanely rigid code of ethics and kills anyone who goes against it (many lawful evil / neutral evil "Knight Templar" villains and anti-heroes follow this trope.) Think the Punisher, Judge Dredd, etc. In general, an unwavering, honestly-held commitment to wiping out evil (or anything else) under all circumstances is lawful in nature; it just isn't generally lawful good.

Think Vhailor from PS:T, who is an undead construct animated by pure law, and is so lawful that he ceases to exist if you manage to convince him that law is false.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Bom, Elan ou Hinjo confirmarem não é tanto problema assim. Além do que, francamente, é um cara que efetivamente tentou matar o V.
    Have you forgotten that this is an English-language forum? :)

As for your point, I directly counter it. Neither Elan, nor Hinjo nor the Katos are THAT cold-blooded. Besides, V has no legal authority. He commited murder with no real attenuating circunstances, simple as that.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

HAHAHAHA! That's one way to end a subplot.
    True Neutral Human Druid and proud of it!
    Thanks to Crimmy for my awesome avatar!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Frazer View Post
    Ugh, what a dismal cop-out.

I dreaded this sort of outcome over the last few strips, and now that it's arrived, it's as drearily anticlimatic as expected.

This sort of ending doesn't only destroy a promising future plotline, it also actively taints and spoils everything leading up to it - Burlew is in effect openly conceding this entire sub-plot's ultimate irrelevance with such a perfunctory ending that directly admits the plot's incidental nature. This corrupts the memory of several dozen comics with a deflating sense of purposelessness.

A very bad call, and a very disappointing strip. :(
    You're not serious? If this was a movie, everyone would be on their feet cheering, laughing, and high-five'ing each other. You are right in one respect though, the title of "Trial of the Century" does show a cynical attitude towards a sub-plot that practically nobody cared about.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    This may be neutral but not evil (the reasons may be selfish but not evil). It saves countless lives, and most important it may save the universe.

Spoiler
    Show
    V understood that killing Kubota and getting rid of the body means that there is no one in the fleet capable of bringing him back. Even if the heir to house Kubota were bound to bringing him back, no cleric there is high-level enough, and the new lord of the house may decide it's in "his best interest" to remain with the fleet. Turning Kubota to ashes and blowing them away was the easiest way to accomplish that. The fleet and Hinjo are safe for now, and there is no more reason for the order to stay with the azurites.

In fact given Elan's nature they need to leave as soon as possible (the Kato's can keep a secret but Elan must be kept away from Hinjo). They may go back to their quest.

Capital punishement, his acts were clearly covered by the laws of the land, Therkla clearly said as so. If he were brought to a court with no tricks he would be killed tied up while not posing immediate bodily threat to anyone. The act is even sort of lawful* for it would follow the spirit of the law were it not for the tricks Kubota had. I don't want to discuss if capital punishement in itself is evil or just neutral. Suffice to say that in AC it isn't considered evil.

* ok, V is not a paladin or law enforcer so it's not lawful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have a better option for V get Durkon, and tell Kubota, "your going to let Durkon use his magic to turn you something-of-your-choice, or I'll kill you." What he did was evil. Two really the problem is solved? All Kubota did was send Ninja and samuri to fight, and his heir could do the same. Or my personal favorite clone . And I do belive that Quar was the one who sent the monsters at everyone, and that while Kubota approved of it he wasn't who actually did it.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While I most heartily congratulate V on his/her actions, I fear the consequences of his/her actions.

Now to the confusion created by this strip, V's alignment seems to be thrown out of a window. I have seen comments that put V's actions as: True Neutral, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, some form of evil (primarily Neutral Evil), and Chaotic Good. Personally I see V as True Neutral, but perhaps leaning towards the chaotic side.

Apparently, the ambiguity of V's gender is rubbing off on other parts of her/his "character sheet"
    In D&D I am a lettuce hating paladin, a valley girl elf, a timid cleric, and a DM (AD&D and 3.5 D&D).

In real life I am a paladin and a geologist.

See evil, hear evil, SMITE EVIL!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Noooo! All that expensive magical armor and defensive items! :(

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

All abord the slippery slope train. Destination, Face Heel Turn ville.
    Last edited by The Extinguisher; 2008-09-22 at 07:46 PM.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

n my opinion V is doing the best she can to save the world. She isn't going to let laws or niceties get in the way of doing what's best. Following the laws means Kubata would continue his evil ways and more would suffer, it means the Order of the stick would not be able to find Gerard's gate and stop Xykon taking over the world.

This is textbook Chaotic good; putting what's right above the dictates of society.

26. - Top - End - #176

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dogmac View Post
    Um... V.....

V...

That isn't nice.

In fact, V, I would put that down as murder.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING V?????????????

You have just gone through to the evil side!

STOP IT V!!!! Come back to the light!!!!!!!!
    As seen in the last panel here, V walks proudly in the Dark Side!

27. - Top - End - #177

confused Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

That was awesome. V is my hero...or would be if not for the whole going insane thing.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

28. - Top - End - #178

wink Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Just a thought, in regards to the whole "Elan ratting out V" idea. I think there's a low level spell called alter memory. As the name suggests it allows you to alter 5 minutes of memory. V could use that to make elan remeber things differantly..
    Not saying it will happen though
    The ironic thing about that suggestion is that Alter Memory is a Bard spell. Elan might know it but V does not.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

29. - Top - End - #179

That...OMGwas... V Friggin'... You.Awesome!rule!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Whoa. Was that a neutral or evil act? I know it's definitely not Lawful.
    Evil. What it entails for V varies, depending on if she was LG boarding LN, or LN. Personally, i think she is LN, so that will simply bump her into LE, or at least make it close. Doesn't really matter through, she is a wizard
    I'd say either neutral good or chaotic good. V knew what needed to be done and simply did it. It wasn't following the letter of the law as Azure City would have it, but it was an appropriate action.
    killing prisoners is evil, as it is murder

The right being: Kubota deserved it, he's a cretin and needed to die.
    Not by a good standard. being evil isn't a crime, and part of good is mercy, forgivness, and compassion. He deserved to be punished certainly, and was a threat, but deserving to die implies that was the only way to handle the situation

from
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2008-09-22 at 07:50 PM.