Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Bizarre Character Concepts

I've only played any tabletop RPG with DM's who stick to the player's handbook, which isn't how I'd like to roll, but I do my best with what I'm given

My last character in such a game was a half-orc druid who had been in a terrible fire and hideously mutilated, basically looking more like a corpse. He wore a burlap bag over his head and at one point I replaced it with an old-timey diving helmet! Early on the only spell I kept getting any use out of was summon swarm and ONLY if I summoned bats, so I ran with that and only did anything bat-related. Dire bat companion, dire bat wildshape, summon dire bats...I wound up the most dangerous member of the party with all the damn bats. I got us out of so many problems with the bat swarms, causing hilarious bat-related pandemonium and a lot of civilian casualties.

And though I'm hopelessly creature-obsessed, I realized that no alien I chose in the Star Wars RPG could actually be considered bizarre within the Star Wars universe, and I really like to weird out the NPC's, you know? So I opted for a droid character, made him a smuggler/pirate type, gave him all the swiss-army-knife action of an artoo unit, and chose the outer casing of a Power or "Gonk" droid with hidden wheels in its feet for Gumby-like mobility. We only played two games but everyone seemed to have a blast with my character. After all, it was a pirate disguised as a giant car battery.

The best thing ever was when I tried to pretend I was an ordinary gonk droid to fool a couple of guards, and just to be fair, I was asked to do a bluff check but still given a pretty big bonus to it. I had to roll a 1 to fail. I rolled a 1. We had a grand old time figuring out HOW I could have failed. I think one of the guards felt that my gonking was a little off, and he knew his gonks.

I actually do have a D&D character in mind already in case I'm ever given a RIDICULOUS amount of leeway: someone who escaped half-way through the horrible rituals of the Meenlocks, one of my top five favorite monsters. Half-insect, all insane.
    Last edited by scythemantis; 2008-10-01 at 08:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

I came very close to getting to play a Bard who vehemently denies that his spells are actually magic. Unfortunately, the campaign collapsed first.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I came very close to getting to play a Bard who vehemently denies that his spells are actually magic. Unfortunately, the campaign collapsed first.
    i demand that this plan is brought to fruitition!

he'll i'd DM myself if half the bizarre concepts in this thread were fleshed out properly. It would be the worst, non-optimised party ever... who all got XP and +1 cookies for delivering whitty lines and failing quests in a comedic manner

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

If it's PbP, I'm actually up for this, I think the whole thing would be ridiculously fun.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post

he'll i'd DM myself if half the bizarre concepts in this thread were fleshed out properly. It would be the worst, non-optimised party ever... who all got XP and +1 cookies for delivering whitty lines and failing quests in a comedic manner
    Sounds like a great idea. We should try to get this together.

As for the bard, he was actually quite scared of casters and of magic in general, and would have been terrified of himself had he ever admitted to himself that all those happy coincidences that just happened to occur in his presence were actually magical effects caused by him.

EDIT: Although I don't have the book for it, what would be really funny would be to take him into Sublime Chord so he'd be casting focused and still in self-denial.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-10-01 at 11:59 AM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I fighter who specializes in fighting with spiked armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know there are probably much better out there, but right now I'm playing a (4e) Tiefling Wizard focusing on Cold spells, to the point that he cannot cast fire spells (including using prestidigitation to light candles). His skin is changing from Red to Blue and his horns are becoming crystalline. The process happens a little more with each level. Almost all of his spells have something to do with ice, and the ones that don't I'm trying to fluff into the icy realm. (Shield creates a plate of ice bearing his diety Erathis's symbol (AC bonus), and creates ice on his feet (Reflex bonus).)
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

In no particular order:

- A gnome Barbarian armed with two straight-razors who had an unusual form of autism, whereby certain bright colours, loud noises, or soft fabrics would send him into a rage.

- A blind tatooist psion, who could imitate sight with the Hear Light power and the Blingsight 5' radius feat (one of my favourite character concepts ever).

- A Kobold Paladin who worshipped a regular-sized rat, who when it walked, the ground shook. That was its only god-like power. Longest running character ever. He started out as a fighter who just thought he was a paladin, but eventually became a real one after serving his god tirelessly and unquestioningly for so long. :P

- A human fighter with multiple personalities. One personality was a wizard (he only thought he could cast spells), another was a fighter, another was an extremely bigotted paladin, the last was a cloaker.

- There's also a monk in my game at the moment who cut off his ears, nose, and lips for reasons as of yet unexplained....
    DnD Heraldry Guide
    DnD Without Alignments

Thanks to Qwernt for the great avatar!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My current campaign includes, as far as intresting characters go
    A Guitar Hero: Actually a Psychic warrior going into Sonokineticist (Pyrokineticist refluffed for sonic attacks instead of fire), he as a guitar that is more like a mobile arsenal. It only actually functions as a guitar because of a modified "Ghost Sounds" spell placed on it.

A Soulknife named Iv (he is the result of an experiment conducted by the organization the PC's work for, he was subject #4) who can't speak, but has a mindlink with another character (Kobold combat trapsmith/rogue) who rides around in his backpack and speaks for him. The two players sit next too each other and the Soulknife leans over and whispers anything he wants said in the Kobold's ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Sounds like a great idea. We should try to get this together.

As for the bard, he was actually quite scared of casters and of magic in general, and would have been terrified of himself had he ever admitted to himself that all those happy coincidences that just happened to occur in his presence were actually magical effects caused by him.

EDIT: Although I don't have the book for it, what would be really funny would be to take him into Sublime Chord so he'd be casting focused and still in self-denial.
    Actually that sounds like fun.

But itís been my experience that combat heavy games donít work so well pbp. With that in mind I think itíd work out well as a (mostly) Rp focused campaign.

But who's willing to DM such a game?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

We formed a new campaign today of 5 people..our party is very bizarre.

A Human Paladin who worships a god that exists only in his own mind. When praying he talks to himself and holds both sides of the conversation. When he does the god voice he speaks with "thy" and such.

A NE Halfling Wizard who has convinced the Paladin (the leader) that he is NG for the purpose of escaping the Thieves Guild, to whom he ows a large sum of money and the local monastary, which he may or may not have vandalized.

A Human Cleric who requires that anyone who wants her to cast a spell convert to her religion, but she does not require that you stick to it. Basicly you can hit her up for healing, then just resign the religion.

An Elf Rogue who refuses to actually steal anything. She just uses her skills to "keep up with the real theives."

Finnaly, Myself, a Dwarf Fighter who is a recovering alchoholic. He wears a pendant that is from the setting's equivalent of AA. If he sees anyone else drinking he attacks them in an attempt to purify them of the "evil toxin"
    Umbrella Bearer of the MitD Fanclub

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    But who's willing to DM such a game?
    i had a campaign in mind that i never got to use - would run from level 1 to about level 12-14 at most? It was going to be a pretty straight faced city campaign for some friends (basically to introduce them to DnD and also to ease me into my first spot of DMing), but the juxtaposition would make it even more fun - a heroic party of misfits and bumbling idiots

it would be core-only (phb, dmg, mm1), RP-orientated, although still with a bit of battling it out every now and again, and power gaming would regularly result in freak rockslides.

IF i can work out a way to make it a viable pbp campaign, and IF everyone is willing to put up with a noobie DM (or some kind soul would be willing to co-DM with me - i've got pretty much the whole story plotted out in my head, just need a bit of help on the crunch side of things from time to time), i'd happily run/co-run it as a campaign.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This would work best for paranoia

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another great concept: Duergar are immune to poisons.

So, a Duergar monk who fights naked and lathers himself with contact poisons beforehand.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kemper Boyd View Post

So, a Duergar monk who fights naked and lathers himself with contact poisons beforehand.
    I think the enemy would fear a naked dwarven grappler WAAAAAY before they even realised he was poisoned
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    I think the enemy would fear a naked dwarven grappler WAAAAAY before they even realised he was poisoned
    Not the dwarven sluts.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

The party concepts in the PbP I'm in right now are at the lowest level of bizareness, but all together they can be rather wierd.

- I'm playing a homebrew bard; in-game he's a holy servant to the saints of war, thieves with hearts of gold and knowledge. Oh, and he has Int 16/Wis 8. He talks a lot, either his brain going on auto-pilot or Obfuscating Stupidity.
    - One of the warlocks is an Eladrin who can talk to fey. Only he can see the fairies flying about, and he often appears to be holding a vigorous conversation with empty air.
    - The other warlock believes he's a scholar first and foremost. Even though the stars have given him knowledge beyond human ken, he can control it and keep himself sane. Or at least we hope.
    - The Paladin worships a goddess of art and insanity, and is head-in-the-clouds insane. We wears plate armor, a longsword at his side... and a purple tophat given to him by his goddess. Oh, and he really does talk to himself.

The Elf Fighter and the human Ranger are the only ones that act sane all the time. And the elf is a subversion of the "live in the forest close to nature" elves, he's from a germanic mechanized mountain region that is closer to magitech than the trees and the birds.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

This just completely made my day
    Naked Dwarven Gappler...?

Spoiler
    Show
    Duergar are immune to poisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    Fly, haste, enlarge person, iron body.....fall on people.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A normal LG paliden who worships an evil god that he thinks is a good god.

By the time you read this sig I have already stolen my own identity.

"When life gives you lemons, make beef stew," Rosie

The randomness of this sig brought to you by:
    "Arachno Spores! The fatal spore, with the funny name." -Futurama

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Dracul View Post
    A normal LG paliden who worships an evil god that he thinks is a good god.
    So like a normal Paladin of Pelor basically?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    *hits over the head with a sap*

You know too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

A mage that sticks to Wild West cliches - The Wizard with No Name. Flattened, broad-brimmed hat, stubble, dusty dusty serapo-style robes, wand in the holster, a sawn-off staff, flask of whiskey...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Well, I ment more along the lines of a god everyone else knows is evil which could lead to fun situations like this:

(Town under attack from undead, people screaming and running in fear.)
    Paliden: Fear not good town folk for I, Malcior champion of Veckna, have arrived.
    (People stare in scilence for a moment, then scream louder, and run in absoulte terror.)
    Paliden: Why does every one always run from be?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I ment more along the lines of a god everyone else knows is evil which could lead to fun situations like this:

(Town under attack from undead, people screaming and running in fear.)
    Paliden: Fear not good town folk for I, Malcior champion of Veckna, have arrived.
    (People stare in scilence for a moment, then scream louder, and run in absoulte terror.)
    Paliden: Why does every one always run from be?
    His reports to the clergy would probably raise a few eyeballs.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

His reports to the clergy would probably raise a few eyeballs.
    i imagine his reports getting bounced back and forth between the two churches

"no no, i do believe this letter was intended for you"
    "be gone filth, i don't wish to read reports of your steps to hold back our plans"
    "but he is clearly paying reverance to your god"
    "reverence?!? who cares about reverance? he's been killing undead"
    "so?"
    "who from our church would KILL undead - we want more of them!"
    "but he seems to think you want less"
    "oh shut up. be gone!"
    "well thats no way to talk to someone trying to do you a favour"
    "what favour? sending us false and confusing letters. Hes one of your lot. Take him back"
    "but he's writing to your lot"
    "oh shut up"

it would go very monty python very quickly

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

it would go very monty python very quickly
    Is that a bad thing?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Is that a bad thing?
    No, probably not.

Might mean it'd get very offensive and silly, however.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    A dwarf who's not a drunken Scotsman.
    I tried a drunken chinese dwarf once. The koreans thought it was hilarious, everyone else got offended.

That was probably pushed along by my "I'm tired of this character and feeding it a dragon" bit, where my parting words reminded everyone to run _now_, he'd only get hungry again in half an hour.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

My strangest character concepts were:

1) A pixie wizard who was utterly convinced that he was Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead.

2) A lawful good puppetter (3.0 psionics). He sometimes leaned more towards the lawful than the good, but the creatures he dominated were well-treated. In the end, he had to be retired because he was generating a following NPCs that more than doubled the size of the party (via psionic domination, psionic charm, and good-old Diplomacy).

3) Another parasite/worm character for a GURPS game. This one could only dominate the host but could still charm or otherwise interact with other characters via psionics. The character was a pretty nice guy, actually, despite being a parasitic alien telepath serving as a scout for planetary invasion!

4) I played a horse-sized gem dragon (homebrew) in a StarWars game (used the Alternity system). My breath weapon was a burst/cone of electrical energy that caused synaptic static in humanoid targets, rendering them unconscious. Because of some short-sightedness on the part of myself and the DM, I ended up with an ability to absorb energy damage, thereby making me immune to damage from blasters and my natural armor was high enough that I was effectively immune to pretty much all impact weapons, too. And I had a body tank! Unfortunately, it wasn't long before the DM figured out his mistake and my body tank went bye-bye in a similar fashion to Tony Stark's cave-model in the Ironman movie. *CRASH!*

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Would end up looking as a classical greek classical age wrestler, or a oil wrestler. Or a charging male stripper.

The thought is just.. so.. hilarious. hahaha!