Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The definitive 'will Kubota get rezzed?' thread.

I proposed on another thread that getting rezzed would probably actually work to Kubota's advantage, citing the following reason:

Kubota's guilt could easily be proven- after death- by the use of speak with dead. If he were rezzed, his unusual choice of prestige class would give him the chance to bluff his way out of things, lying his way out of the zone of truth with comparative ease...

Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed, even if he couldn't pin things on Therkla, there's always the chance to blame things on Qarr, concocting an argument on the lines of 'I was dominated by an evil outsider who was hiding in the traditional 'power behind the proverbial throne' position- which is enough of a well-known plot device that it might even get Elan second-guessing himself...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The definitive 'will Kubota get rezzed?' thread.

I think you needa corpse to use speak with dead. And I don't think anyone has a corpse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Wasn't that the whole point of the gust of wind, to get rid of the remains so that resurrection is impossible?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The corpse was blown off the deck of Hinjo's Junk (or whichever other ship it may have been) by V's Gust of Wind... All it takes is for Hinjo to decide he NEEDS answers, send Lien diving to bring Kubota's corpse back, and the problem is still there.

If Kubota qualifies for the much-touted 'MB' status, he's pretty much got to know the capabilities of all of the major Paladins within the Sapphire guard (which Lien counts as) as well as the abilities of anyone else Hinjo might call upon... In other words, being forced to admit to his crimes from beyond the grave is very much an option, and Kubota SHOULD know it.

EDIT: There's still the possibility of true resurrection, which doesn't need any bodily remains. Also, Gust of Wind is not a definitive answer, as stated above.
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2008-09-23 at 07:45 AM.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    The corpse was blown off the deck of Hinjo's Junk (or whichever other ship it may have been) by V's Gust of Wind... All it takes is for Hinjo to decide he NEEDS answers, send Lien diving to bring Kubota's corpse back, and the problem is still there.

If Kubota qualifies for the much-touted 'MB' status, he's pretty much got to know the capabilities of all of the major Paladins within the Sapphire guard (which Lien counts as) as well as the abilities of anyone else Hinjo might call upon... In other words, being forced to admit to his crimes from beyond the grave is very much an option, and Kubota SHOULD know it.
    You do realize that Kubota's "corpse" is nothing more than a pile of dust. Lien can dive all she wants even if she were able to find any of his dust it'll be quite a chore to collect it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Disintegrate turns things into dust. Lien cannot dive for dust.

As far as we know Durkon is the most powerful Cleric in range and he's too low level to cast True R, or Roy'd be alive.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-09-23 at 07:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    As far as we know Durkon is the most powerful Cleric in range and he's too low level to cast True R, or Roy'd be alive.
    Now that's one hell of a good point!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Imagine the 'Roy's dead' getting dragged out forever and just as they seem to have found a plausible solution we get...

DING!
    Ach, blast it. True Ressurection!
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Disintegrate turns things into dust. Lien cannot dive for dust.

But there's one fact still to be considered... Qarr is still out there somewhere.

What's more, Qarr is known to call upon other evil outsiders upon occasion. One of these outsiders might potentially have enough Cleric levels to do a True Rezz...
    Part of YugiohITP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

But there's one fact still to be considered... Qarr is still out there somewhere.

What's more, Qarr is known to call upon other evil outsiders upon occasion. One of these outsiders might potentially have enough Cleric levels to do a True Rezz...
    Emphasized by me.

Qarr called ONE powerful outsider ONCE, due a game debt. While this does not preclude that he has a row of demons and devils just waiting for a chance to serve him, it would be strange. I means, you have that much follow, and still work as a minion familiar?
    That brings to the part 2: now that the master is dead, what happens to the familiar?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

except that his calling upon the great demon was shown to be on average an unlikely occurence, and there is no guarantee he has another Favour to call in from a greater outsider. I'm gonna invoke Occam's razor here, this whole "Kubota getting rezzed" thing is just grasping at straws. The most likely plot course is that Kubota is dead and gone with, V's gust ensuring that, and The order incurring the wrath of the other noble Houses for killing Kubota without proof or due process.

Edit: Blast! ninja's by a viking general.
    Last edited by Myrdhale; 2008-09-23 at 08:46 AM.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't actually think it's going to be the wrath of the noble houses that causes the split with Hinjo. What I suspect is that Elan will be convinced by V to keep quiet but being Elan, something will slip. Hinjo will then, after being lied to and being connected with an unlawful killing (I'm not calling it a murder because the bastard had it coming) ask the order to leave as per his Paladiny goodness.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    That brings to the part 2: now that the master is dead, what happens to the familiar?
    Depends on the nature of the demonic familiar's servitude on the mortal plane.

The good ones turn their old 'masters' into their servants in Hell.

You don't want to know what the bad ones do.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #14

The good ones turn their old 'masters' into their servants in Hell.
    ...The GOOd ones? 0o

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luena View Post
    ...The GOOd ones? 0o
    Well, sure! I mean, the good ones will only enslave their soul for all time, force them to be their gofers in Hell (picking up the kids, doing the laundry, sharpening the tines of their pitchforks, that sort of thing)... generally turn them into butlers.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luena View Post
    ...The GOOd ones? 0o
    Good meaning "less bad" than the rest. Being a gofer is assumed to be far preferable to what some other familiars do.
    Yup, I'm back

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    I think you needa corpse to use speak with dead. And I don't think anyone has a corpse.
    You need an INTACT corpse, as they reply from the mouth with what knowledge they had in thier brain up to the moment of death. No contact with the spirit is involved.

Edit: On the topic of him being rezed. then Hell yeah. He has a cleric in his employ on standby with a lock of his hair in order to cast 'Resurection' to pull him out of the dead.
    Last edited by Zolem; 2008-09-23 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    You need an INTACT corpse, as they reply from the mouth with what knowledge they had in thier brain up to the moment of death. No contact with the spirit is involved.

Edit: On the topic of him being rezed. then Hell yeah. He has a cleric in his employ on standby with a lock of his hair in order to cast 'Resurection' to pull him out of the dead.

The only way Kubota can be resurrected via the resurrection spell is if they gather up all the dust particles.

A lock of hair will not help. For resurrection to work, the part of the body has to have been part of the body at time of death. Ergo, a previously cut lock of hair will not be sufficient. The spell specifies that "the remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body." Since the dust is now scattered and overboard...well, it's of no use.

Thus Kubota would need a cleric that knows True Resurrection, and he does not have one of those.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If Kubota qualifies for the much-touted 'MB' status,
    It should be abundantly clear by now that he does not.

Yes, because evil demons are known for their loyalty

(Besides, Occam speaking... if Qarr had anywhere near those resources he would have used them a long time ago, for instance to, you know, kill Elan)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Dear gods, I reeeeally hope that he's not resurrected. Possible or not, I don't think Rich would do that to us after such a satisfying (I thought) extermination of the character.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No, the late, great Lord Kubota is dead and will not be coming back. Not only were his ashes scattered to the four winds, but Rich has, so far, only rezz'd one character (not counting Xykon, of course) and only because it would be bizarre if the Oracle didn't foresee his own death and make adequate plans for resurrection.

The good news is that Lord Kubota is now free to pursue greater goals... such as ruling Hell
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Wasn't that the whole point of the gust of wind, to get rid of the remains so that resurrection is impossible?
    No, it was to blow the evidence away. No body, no crime. And he won't be resurrected, unless his devil (or a demon?) companion is a high enough level to cast True Resurrection. But even then, that's too much work for a mere mortal. Surely, he can find another willing recipient.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I don't think you can really say that only one of those was the specific reason for the gust of wind, seeing those are both solid benefits of it. If V says "I did it to hide the evidence," or "I did it to prevent him from being resurrected," then we'll know.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2008-09-23 at 12:31 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming Qarr is still working for Kubota...
    Considering how Qarr did not back up Kubota when he needed him i'd wager to guess that Qarr has decided to move on... Kubota hasn't exactly been the easiest master to work for as he been ignoring Qarr's judgement of Therkla and has thus very poor at getting the job done. i"m kinda guessing he's moving on to a new "master" now

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm

A possibility ? Ok, we don't know any level 15 Wizard but who said Kubota had to actually find allies only in Azur City ? He might have "rent a clone" somewhere, sending a piece of flesh a long time ago.

The clone was preserved until then with a Gentle Repose spell.
    1500 po is not that expensive for Kubota, nor are the expenses of a 15th level mage casting a 3rd level spell every 2 weeks and keeping the clone in his celling. Kind of a "Life-Insurrance" Business

EDIT : in fact, the mage could just have kept the flesh in his celling and would create the clone only if needed (Any family member of Kubota can send a bird to the wizard to "informe him of the dead of his dear friend").
    Last edited by Johel; 2008-09-23 at 12:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post

A possibility ? Ok, we don't know any level 15 Wizard but who said Kubota had to actually find allies only in Azur City ? He might have "rent a clone" somewhere, sending a piece of flesh a long time ago.

1500 po is not that expensive for Kubota, nor are the expenses of a 15th level mage casting a 3rd level spell every 2 weeks and keeping the clone in his celling. Kind of a "Life-Insurrance" Business
    In his ceiling where? Back in Az? Someplace on his boat? If that is the case, and it's on his boat, there was no reason for him to give in to capture. He might even have been better off jumping over the side and drowning.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

As I said, the wizard don't have to be from Azur City.
    Let's say Cliffport. They got a Magical Academy there, right ?

EDIT : and for the jumping and drowing part, why doing so ? If it's on his boat, he would have been caugh anyway AND would have had to cut of another peace of flesh (which must be a painfull thing) to create the next clone. No, better surrending and, if executed, reborn somewhere far away from there as a last ressort. ("Just lick my ball, Hinjo")
    Last edited by Johel; 2008-09-23 at 01:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

As I said, the wizard don't have to be from Azur City.
    Let's say Cliffport. They got a Magical Academy there, right ?
    I was talking about the location of the clone, not the wizard.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I was talking about the location of the clone, not the wizard.
    Well, the clone (or the flesh) need a spell to prevent it to rot so it is with the wizard, who might be... anywhere BUT NOT WITH THE AZUR FLEET.
    happy ?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT : in fact, the mage could just have kept the flesh in his celling and would create the clone only if needed (Any family member of Kubota can send a bird to the wizard to "informe him of the dead of his dear friend").
    Possible but unlikely. I'll go ahead and assume that the second half of this theory is true - that this same wizard would teleport Kubota back to the fleet. If he had that kind of contingency plan in place, why bother with that scene and gambit with Therkla in the Kato cabin? He could have died a martyr, only to come back a level lower and much more popular than before.

Also, I can only imagine that some of the other nobles would be pretty pissed about something like that. Kubota has to have a successor, and that successor will not be happy when he gets coronated or whatever, only to have to abdicate a few days later when Kubota materializes on the deck going "LOL giyz not rlly."

Finally, bringing Kubota back would vastly cheapen the significance of his demise. It was epic. It was what everyone wanted but no one could have. Kubota - for all his scheming, power abuse, cheating, lying, backstabbing, assassinating, ruthless behavior - was taken out by a single, righteous act of pure violence. Was it unlawful? Certainly. But Kubota should have known on some level that when he starts using assassination, treason, and murder to attain power, eventually someone would employ the most brutal of methods to stop him. He didn't. He thought he was the only one allowed to break the rules - that he was the only one that could ever act outside the law, that his agenda was more important than any other (such as saving the world), and that everyone else just had to bend over and take it.

V just proved him wrong with a single word - the shortest argument the elf has yet made.

"Disintegrate!"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.