New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default A Potentially Silly Question [4e]

The RAW is a little vague. It says that you can't have two handlsot items functioning at the same time, as in gauntlets and a shield. But says nothing on arm slotted items functioning/not functioning with arm slotted items. (Silly question I know, but I'm not accutstomed to have two slots for the limbs.)
    So does this mean that hand slot items and arm slot itmes both function at the same time? Such as Iron Armbands of Power and Bracers of Perfect shot, thus effectivley getting a +2 item bonus to ranged and melee damage?

EDIT: Also, what's the point of the Iron Armbands of Power? They're the bracers of mighty striking only 4 levels higher.
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2008-09-23 at 02:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Potentially Silly Question [4e]

You can use an arm slot item with a hand slot item. If the armbands and the bracers both give an item bonus, though, they won't stack.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bracers and Shields are Arm slots, gauntlets and gloves are Hand slots. You can have gauntlets and Bracers working together, but in your example, both are Arm slots and wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by phb 224
    You can benefit from only one magic item that you wear in your arms slot even if, practically speaking, you can wear bracers and carry a shield at the same time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    EDIT: Also, what's the point of the Iron Armbands of Power? They're the bracers of mighty striking only 4 levels higher.
    Iron Armbands of Power give a damage bonus to all melee attacks. Bracers of Mighty Striking only effect basic attacks.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What is the point of mighty striking then ;)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    What is the point of mighty striking then ;)
    Well, they are cheaper (level 2) and they are good for fighters who like to make opportunity attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Bracers and Shields are Arm slots, gauntlets and gloves are Hand slots. You can have gauntlets and Bracers working together, but in your example, both are Arm slots and wouldn't work.
    Customer Service has said you can use Magic Bracers/Mundane shield, at the same time, since it only applies to magic items. There was a big ado about it on the WOTC forums. It was on the thread about two hand weapons vs sword and board.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Iron Armbands of Power give a damage bonus to all melee attacks. Bracers of Mighty Striking only effect basic attacks.
    I've not got my books on me, but just to clear things up for me, that part I emphasized: Basic attacks, or basic melee attacks.
    If it's only Melee attacks, that's not super useful.
    If it's all basic attacks, that means that Warlocks can apply it to their Eldritch Blast, since EB states it functions as a basic ranged when you want it to... but with different words.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    I've not got my books on me, but just to clear things up for me, that part I emphasized: Basic attacks, or basic melee attacks.
    If it's only Melee attacks, that's not super useful.
    If it's all basic attacks, that means that Warlocks can apply it to their Eldritch Blast, since EB states it functions as a basic ranged when you want it to... but with different words.
    They don't need to function with Mighty Striking, because, lo and behold; the Bracers of the Perfect Shot! They add the same +2 damage bonus to ranged basic attacks.
    Play a wizard. Be the Goddamn Batman.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Mighty Striking is just for Basic Melee Attacks, but your Warlock really wants Bracers of the Perfect Shot for Christmas. (They are the same for basic ranged.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Bracers of Mighty Strike are also useful if the Party Warlord is fond of Commander's Strike. But like mentioned, they're also good for Opportunity Attacks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    Bracers of Mighty Strike are also useful if the Party Warlord is fond of Commander's Strike. But like mentioned, they're also good for Opportunity Attacks.
    Does an opportunity attack count as a Basic Melee? What it the OA isn't a basic melee attack, like the Battle Mage's Arcane Riposte? Would that benifit from the Bracers of Mighty Strike?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

13. - Top - End - #13

Does an opportunity attack count as a Basic Melee?
    Yes, it is (phb 290).

What it the OA isn't a basic melee attack, like the Battle Mage's Arcane Riposte? Would that benifit from the Bracers of Mighty Strike?
    Now that ones slightly tougher... Any thoughts? Mine would be what is your Battle Mage doing with Mighty Strike and not Perfect Shot? I would also say it is not longer a basic attack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Mine would be what is your Battle Mage doing with Mighty Strike and not Perfect Shot?
    I dunno, but the answer to that question is probably the same answer to this question: "Why would a wizard use Arcane Riposte, when it doesn't need Dexterity anywhere else at all?" There's a for you!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Wow, that's an insanely good point...

very worthy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno, but the answer to that question is probably the same answer to this question: "Why would a wizard use Arcane Riposte, when it doesn't need Dexterity anywhere else at all?" There's a for you!
    Arcane Riposte wouldn't be bad for Wandzards if it wasn't for the fact that Arcane Riposte doesn't get an implement bonus to hit. Meaning it's useless.