New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [4e] Really stupid question

Okay, so we're about 6 sessions into KotSF, and I've noticed that the non-weapon users in the party are really unable to hit very accurately, as compared to the fighter and rogue. The way I see it, the to-hit equations break down like so

Non-weapon user

Weapon User
    1d20+
    1/2-level+
    Ability Score+
    Feat Bonus+
    Implement/Magic Item Bonus=
    TOTAL TO-HIT BONUS

Weapon User
    1d20+
    1/2-level+
    Ability Score+
    Feat Bonus+
    Implement/Magic Item Bonus+
    Weapon Proficiency Bonus=
    TOTAL TO-HIT BONUS

Now, at low levels (the PCs just hit level 3), the extra +2/+3 to hit from the Proficiency Bonus is huge. The cleric and wizard just don't land their spells very often, as compared to the weapon users hitti9ng with their powers. Now, I'm aware that later on, they'll get magic implements (orbs, etc) that increase the to-hit bonus...but the weapon users get magic weapons at roughly the same rate. It looks like that +2/+3 disparity the weapon users have over non-weapon users will be there forever.

Is there something that makes up for this deficiency that I've missed somewhere, or do I need to start writing my first set of 4e house rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: [4e] Really stupid question

Well casters tend to attack defenses other than AC, which are lower. That's the reason.
    Now with half the calories!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Weapon attacks usually target AC, while blasting powers tend to attack the other defenses, which are going to be lower for armored characters. My cleric in my current game always picks the most heavily armored targets first for her radiant attacks, which gets me a pretty good hit rate as they're likely to have a lower Reflex defense than the guys in leather and cloth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Most monsters should have ACs 2-4 higher than their other defenses (which should average 12+level), looking at page 184 in the DMG. If you're dealing with low-AC monsters like brutes or artillery, weapon-users should have an advantage. Against soldiers, non-weapon-users should have an advantage.

Looking at, say, the Goblin Cutter, it has AC 16, and other defenses at 11, 12, and 14. Advantage - non-weapon-user, especially if targeting Fortitude or Will.

Picking another at random, the Ghoul has AC 21, and defenses 20, 18, and 17. An elder green dragon has AC 35, defenses 31, 31, 33.

And so on.

The advantage of +2 or +3 only generally makes up for the fact that you're targeting AC.

I'm suggesting selective thinking. Are they actually hitting less? Is this because of chance (poor rolls)?

5. - Top - End - #5

Bear in mind that Weapon Fighters mostly attack AC, which is usually a good 2-3 points higher than the other defences.

edit: woah, shouldn't have gone to make that sandwich. Epic ninjas.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-09-24 at 12:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the player having the biggest issue is the wizard whose only non-reflex targeting spell is thunderweave, and we just got through a bunch of encounters with skeletons (AC 14, Ref 14), so it figures that he'd have more issues hitting than the weapon-users.

Okay - so otherwise the issue is solved from the other end, with lower defenses obliviating the need for a higher attack bonus. Dunno why I didn't see that. Guess it was just a localized thing. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Another issue that contributes to fighters and rogues hitting more often than other characters (which I've also noticed in the game I've been playing in) are the number of other bonuses these classes get on their to hit rolls.

Both fighters and rogues get a situational +1 to hit; one/two-handed weapons for fighters and daggers for rogues. Rangers and warlocks also get prime shot, but it's a much tougher situational bonus to get than simply using a particular weapon (and melee rangers aren't likely to get much of any benefit from prime shot).

Likewise, both fighters and rogues are much more likely to gain/benefit from the +2 to hit from combat advantage than caster-types due to the nature of melee combat and flanking. In short, it's much tougher for a non-melee character to gain combat advantage.

Even against foes with ACs 2-4 points higher than their other defenses, rogues and fighters are going to hit more often if played smart.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-09-24 at 02:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Essentially it's a bunch of confusing mechanics to hide the fact that players are supposed to have roughly two-out-of-three chance of hitting a level-appropriate enemy.

Non-casters have +3 to hit, but monsters have +3 to defense against non-casters (since their AC is usually their highest defense). Similarly, higher-level characters have +X to hit while monsters of the same level have the same +X to defense. None of it really matters; that is the definition of balance.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    None of it really matters; that is the definition of balance.
    Yup. Break out the percentile dice.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Essentially it's a bunch of confusing mechanics to hide the fact that players are supposed to have roughly two-out-of-three chance of hitting a level-appropriate enemy.

Non-casters have +3 to hit, but monsters have +3 to defense against non-casters (since their AC is usually their highest defense). Similarly, higher-level characters have +X to hit while monsters of the same level have the same +X to defense. None of it really matters; that is the definition of balance.
    Ignore the fact that individual monsters vary from that formula. Undead tend to have lower ACs, particularly zombies. Orcs have a very high Fortitude. It's exactly like save values in 3.x, it just puts the roll into the hands of the players.
    Now with half the calories!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Another issue that contributes to fighters and rogues hitting more often than other characters (which I've also noticed in the game I've been playing in) are the number of other bonuses these classes get on their to hit rolls.

Both fighters and rogues get a situational +1 to hit; one/two-handed weapons for fighters and daggers for rogues. Rangers and warlocks also get prime shot, but it's a much tougher situational bonus to get than simply using a particular weapon (and melee rangers aren't likely to get much of any benefit from prime shot).

Likewise, both fighters and rogues are much more likely to gain/benefit from the +2 to hit from combat advantage than caster-types due to the nature of melee combat and flanking. In short, it's much tougher for a non-melee character to gain combat advantage.

Even against foes with ACs 2-4 points higher than their other defenses, rogues and fighters are going to hit more often if played smart.
    On the other hand, rogues and fighters have to deal with the complications of being tangled up in melee; they're at greater risk and don't always get to pick the ideal target to engage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Flanking is, quite honestly, a larger impact.