New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Good Weapon Enchantments for Siege Weapons?

Heroes of Battle has good rules for Siege Weapons

1. They can have any weapon enchantment that can be applied to ranged weapons, plus those in the book specially made for them.

2. The enchantments cost the same as those for normal weapons. Heheh.

So that said, I have a budget for one more +1 bonus... what are some good +1 enchantments for them?
    Sig'd

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Good Weapon Enchantments for Siege Weapons?

Don't adamantine weapons bypass hardness? In fact ammo costs are cheap, so just go with addy ammo and watch your missiles make swiss cheese of the castle... employ some (burly) ball boys to stand round the other side retrieving the ammo... better still fire at both sides and play trebuchet tennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aw, just +1? I'd have said a Brilliant weapon. How funny would it be to launch missiles at an enemy castle . . . only to watch it fly through the walls and pulverize the guys on the inside.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Aw, just +1? I'd have said a Brilliant weapon. How funny would it be to launch missiles at an enemy castle . . . only to watch it fly through the walls and pulverize the guys on the inside.
    Hold off on buying that until you also have a Trebuchet. Just for the lulz. I'd say buy something like Merciful, Mighty Cleaving, or the like. Don't go for enhancements that make you more likely to hit or deal more damage, go with the interesting ones.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5

Ahem. I have budget for SIX more +1s, for six (Large Mangonel) catapaults. And some commoners/warriors/mooks to man them.
    Last edited by jcsw; 2008-09-25 at 04:54 AM.
    Sig'd

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A Light spell put on a rock on a parachute would make a dandy flare for night time battles. Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    Ahem. I have budget for SIX more +1s, for six (Large Mangonel) catapaults. And some commoners/warriors/mooks to man them.
    In that case, a Brilliant Energy Catapult loaded with bags of shrapnel would rock, but it would take a good portion of your budget.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    In that case, a Brilliant Energy Catapult loaded with bags of shrapnel would rock, but it would take a good portion of your budget.
    = Win

After all you only need a wizard to cast shrink object, don't need a permant enchant. Bags of shrapnel, which expand when you shoot em, tearing through walls and being full sized boulders when they hit people.

I think I just had an evilgasm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Save the money you spend on using seige engineers and such to load your weapons, save the money and get the +2 modifier enchantment Self-Loading [Heroes of Battle].

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

How about Splitting? There's a reason everyone suggests it for every ranged build (unless it's banned for being somewhere between unbalanced and VERY unbalanced).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    A Light spell put on a rock on a parachute would make a dandy flare for night time battles.
    Parachutes? Pshaw. If you want flares, why not just have a low-level Wizard or Cleric with wands of light and feather fall. That should be pretty cheap (compared to, you know, enchanted seige weapons), and would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-25 at 12:38 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Parachutes? Pshaw. If you want flares, why not just have a low-level Wizard or Cleric with wands of light and feather fall. That should be pretty cheap (compared to, you know, enchanted seige weapons), and would be pretty cool.
    "Now Dave, what we're gonna do is..we're gonna to launch you over the enmy's wall. Nono, don' worry, we'll have them casters make sure you take a long time to land, an' don' hit too 'ard. Now you'll be all nice and lit up purty-like, so'in you can see, an' ya can shout back where'n Jeb should aim them caterpaults, see. You'll be fine."

"Sure thing Bob. Hol' my sign, I don' wanta lose it."

[/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Invest in returning boulders. That way you never run out. just make sure you hire some giants to catch them on the rebound.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    "Now Dave, what we're gonna do is..we're gonna to launch you over the enmy's wall. Nono, don' worry, we'll have them casters make sure you take a long time to land, an' don' hit too 'ard. Now you'll be all nice and lit up purty-like, so'in you can see, an' ya can shout back where'n Jeb should aim them caterpaults, see. You'll be fine."

"Sure thing Bob. Hol' my sign, I don' wanta lose it."

Oh man, that was hilarious.

OP: You could use:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry
    Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.
    With elementals instead of boulders
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    How about Splitting? There's a reason everyone suggests it for every ranged build (unless it's banned for being somewhere between unbalanced and VERY unbalanced).
    All these theoretical builds overlook the cost, which is +3, and thus way outside of the OP's budget. I've found that Splitting tends to be great when you can first afford +5 cost weapons, and then suddenly everybody you're up against automagically has full cover/concealment available and ranged weapons aren't especially effective.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Wanna know a free siege weapon? High level warlock with Eldritch Glaive, Hammer Blast, and Retributive Invisibility. So many d6s of damage on that full attack.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

That is only free if YOU are the Warlock. Such power would likely mean they would charge quite a lot of coin for their services.

Yeah, but with a parachute (Leonardo De Vinci thought them up, so I bet Leonard of Quirm could) you only have to pay for the Light spell. Even cheaper.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2008-09-25 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding