New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Barbarian Monk

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Barbarian Monk

If the DM changed the requirements for a barbarian from "any nonlawful" to "any chaotic", could a LE monk w/ the ordered chaos feat (Fiendish Codex I) take levels of barbarian?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Barbarian Monk

What does the feat do?
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2008-09-25 at 04:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Prerequisite: Non-chaotic alignment, base Will save +4.
    Benefit: Your alignment is not affected by the Abyssal heritor feats you possess. Spells and effects that are keyed to alignment affect you as if you were chaotic, as well as your actual alignment. For example, you become immune to spells such as chaos hammer and word of chaos, you could wield an anarchic weapon without fear of gaining a negative level, and you could take the Primordial Scion feat despite its chaotic alignment prerequisite.
    So...no. Any effect that depends on alignment treats you (lets say you're Lawful Evil) as Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil. So you're immune to effects that don't work on Lawful creatures and immune to effects that don't work on Chaotic creatures. You could also use items that require you to be Chaotic, despite being Lawful. It does seem to make you eligible for feats that require a Chaotic alignment, though.

Zack
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThanatosOmnis View Post
    If the DM changed the requirements for a barbarian from "any nonlawful" to "any chaotic", could a LE monk w/ the ordered chaos feat (Fiendish Codex I) take levels of barbarian?
    Wouldn't you just be better off asking the DM to change the Barbarian to "any"? There are tons of examples of very honorable barbarians.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Thank you Lyndworm for that.

NO! It does not treat you as chaotic for benefitting from feats (Except the Abyssal Heritor feats) or gaining levels. So no. Although there is no reason why a DM wouldn't be willing to allow a lawful barbarian, or even a nonlawful monk. Seriously, give it Ki blast and you've done made a super saiyan. How can a DM say no to that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    Thank you Lyndworm for that.

NO! It does not treat you as chaotic for benefitting from feats (Except the Abyssal Heritor feats) or gaining levels. So no. Although there is no reason why a DM wouldn't be willing to allow a lawful barbarian, or even a nonlawful monk. Seriously, give it Ki blast and you've done made a super saiyan. How can a DM say no to that?
    The Lady of Pain dislikes Super Saiyajin. *smack*

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

The Lady of Pain doesn't smack me because she knows I like it, and she knows that my one weakness is irony. SO to punish me she has to not punish me by punishing me......The world just imploded...Twice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ok, here's another question: If i was a LG hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) with the ordered chaos feat, i would be treated as LG, CG, LE, and CE correct?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the monk/barbarian, just go chaos monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by streakster View Post
    For the monk/barbarian, just go chaos monk.
    Yes, failing strike has nice flavor... Though, the alignment requirements are kind of dumb regardless.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThanatosOmnis View Post
    ok, here's another question: If i was a LG hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) with the ordered chaos feat, i would be treated as LG, CG, LE, and CE correct?
    Not quite - it says that spells and effects affect you as if you were Chaotic as well as your actual alignment. That's it. You'd never be considered CE or LE, but you'd be considered LG and (if something has an effect based on your being Chaotic) also Chaotic.

Side Note 1: I've always wanted to play a Good-aligned Hellbred that had a bunch of those Abyssal Heritor feats. It's a shame I don't get to play as much as I'd like...

Side Note 2: For simple rules questions, check out the Simple Q&A by RAW thread (or it's 4E counterpart).
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I do not kno if this was said, but I recall a chaos monk variant.
    trill in da playground