New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Paladins, and other things.

Okay, dunno if this should even go here, but I'll bite.

I haven't played tabletop D&D in forever, the last time I played, we were still using 2nd Edition (Non-weapon proficiencies, yay!)

Anyways, I was starting to get interested in 3.5, and then along came 4th edition. I'm interested in having a go at 4th if I get the time, most likely on the good ol' GitP frorums here.

Anyways, about Paladins, I was just wondering, do they have to be Lawful Good/Chaotic Evil? Must they, like a Sith, always deal in absolutes, or is it possible to make a Paladin of a different alignment?
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Paladins, and other things.

You can make a Paladin of any alignment you want. Mostly, they just follow the teachings of their diety extremely rigorously. (I appologize for spelling, I don't have my spell check on this computer. )

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

In 3.5 they have to be Lawful Good (unless you take some variants) And in 4e, they can be any alignment, I believe.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you asking about the 3.5e or the 4e paladins?

3.5e: must be Lawful Good (although in Unearthed Arcana there's details on CG, LE and CE paladins of freedom/tyranny/slaughter).
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC, a 4e paladin must have an alignment equal to their deity, since they're a mini-representative of their deity, and follow their teachings rigorously. So not only do you have the same alignment, but it's for the same reason. A paladin of Corellon isn't unaligned because they seek to bring death to those who require it, and a paladin of Pelor wouldn't focus on change and luck.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

First of all, OP: SRW FTW. :D

Anyway, 3.5 Paladins must be Lawful Good, though the Unearthed Arcana variants allow for LG/CG/LE/CE variants. Fax Celestis's Mantle Paladins can also be any of those for alignments and choose "Mantles of Faith" that represent the ideals of their alignments.

4E Paladins must simply follow the codes of their deities, so they aren't limited to LG.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool, thanks :D

However, 2 more questions have arose.

1) Is there a D20SRD for 4e that I may peruse at my lesiure in order to familiarise myself wit the new system?

2) Is the rod up the butt still standard issue, or does it depend on the deity in question?

For some reason, Paladin of Loki/Mask/insert other trickster god here apeals to me
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuki_Jaggar View Post
    Cool, thanks :D

However, 2 more questions have arose.

1) Is there a D20SRD for 4e that I may peruse at my lesiure in order to familiarise myself wit the new system?

2) Is the rod up the butt still standard issue, or does it depend on the deity in question?
    1) Nope, aside from the D&D Insider which may or may not still be free to use.

2) Nope, because the Paladin's Code has also vanished (as has falling, BTW). You just make a Paladin that is exactly the same alignment as his or her Deity and adhere to that Deity's tenants.

Personally, I'm having a lot of fun working out what the different Paladins do in my homebrew world. Generally they're bodyguards to the priesthood, but for instance my God of Death's Paladins also perform executions for the local government (the God of Death being LN)
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuki_Jaggar View Post
    There isn't and there won't be, but there is the D&D Insider's Compendium, which might not have all the rules but DOES have info on every class, power, item, monster, etc. It's free to access right now, but it's going to be part of the monthly payment system at some point.

In 4E, I don't think it's required, but depending on your god it's certainly available. It's not required in 3.x, but it's certainly the most common method of playing one!

For some reason, Paladin of Loki/Mask/insert other trickster god here apeals to me
    Yeah, Paladins of non-LG deities are cool. I'm enjoying my unaligned Tiefling Paladin of Ioun (the goddess of knowledge and prophecy and such).

EDIT: Aww... I'm too slow...
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-28 at 12:29 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Paladins can have other alignments in the 3.5 Edition as well if you use more exotic variants: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf contains several including a TN version.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I like the flavor of the 3.5 variant paladins until you get to the codes of conduct for the PoT and PoS. They pretty much force you to be a party-breaking scumbag