New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What to do with brilliant stats (or what to play, mindblank)

OK, I'm soon starting up playing in a campaign (DnD 3.5). I was previously playing a Skarn Conjuror, but I've had to drop that, as I can't happily fit him into the starting area.

Dome City (not real name). An over ground city, run, ruled and inhabited by drow mainly. There's a magical dome over it, which nearly stops the sunlight, while still letting a small amount through. Basically, we still have the daylight cicle, and it's affected by clouds, but it's low light vision, which doesn't hurt the drows eyes. Magic is illegal by non-drows, but there's a sewer magic school hidden in the sewers for non-drow magic users.

The other players: C? Dwarven Barbarian, ?? (Probably CN/CG) something telekineticist, and ?? (probably C?) something phychic warrior, and a ?? something something (probably a something rogue). They all have good but not brilliant stats (like most PC's). Starting a ECL 1, all books 3.5 and 3e allowed, including monster races.

I have rolled, in order: 16 15 16 17 18 10. And don't know what to play(!). Any ideas?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What to do with brilliant stats (or what to play, mindblank)

/me pimps the new class in his sig.

>_>

<_<

>_>

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drow Warlock!

Seriously. You can even turn into a giant spider that that shoots eye lasers to turn people into swarms of spiders!

Tell me that's not cool. I dare you.

EDIT: Wait, forget that. Do what Fax says.
    Last edited by streakster; 2008-09-28 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

With stats like that you could take this opportunity to play a monk that didn't get walked all over by the other players... without even cheesing wands with 2 charges left and way too much UMD.

When I rolled the most ridiculous stats of my gaming career (18, 16, 16, 15, 13, 12) I made a cleric of Kord. 18 str, 16 dex, 16 con, 15 wis... he was a barrel of fun. I played him as a bit of an idiot who was always up for a good fight, but generally willing to follow what other people in the party wanted to do. In that way I prevented him from alienating the rest of the party with his metalocity.

God, just thinking about character gives me goose bumps. Domains luck and strength, Greatsword with a huge symbol of Kord on it... (Think Kronk from 'The emperors new groove').

Anyway, I recommend 1 of 2 things really. First is pick a class that generally has problems with MAD. If not that, then pick a class and have them doing something they generally don't do. You could play a bard with highest stats in Str/Con/Dex for instance and still have the cha and int to be a respectable bard in their standard roles. You nerf the power of your character a little, but it's a ton of fun to be effecting with typically very sub optimal builds because of stats to back you up. (A side note: Greatsword with 18 str is ridiculously awesome low level regardless of what class you're playing)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it's a good opening to play a Monk that doesn't suck. If you want to own and not have a challenge, then any old MAD caster class.

ninjaed.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-28 at 01:44 AM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    /me pimps the new class in his sig.

>_>

<_<

>_>
    Holy cow, its Fax!

Seriously, if you can get the ability to play his rogue, I'd recommend doing it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

My advice? "Anything you want to". This is your chance to, rather than try to figure out what class fits those rolls, just choose whatever appeals to you most at the moment. Whatever you do it's going to be pretty impressive, so do what you feel like. Play that "Hulk Smash" barbarian, or "legendary thief" rogue, or "kung fu master" monk. Be free!

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's practically a call to play either a Monk, Ranger, or Paladin that approaches the descriptions from the SRD.
    Praise me not for my born strengths, but for what I make of them.
    Scorn me not for my born faults, but for my failure to overcome them.

The Practical Monk's Manuscript

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I'd personally play a Paladin, Cleric, or some sort of Fighter/Cleric/Prestige Paladin. You don't even need to fully ClericZilla it up to do some damage with:

Str 17
    Dex 15 (or 10)
    Con 16
    Int 10 (or 15)
    Wis 18
    Cha 16

You've got the Cha for a lot of DMM or Divine feats, the Str and Con for melee, and an 18 Wis, which always makes things better.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Go chameleon! Do everything! Either do the normal factotum -> PrC chameleon, or the BC one in my sig!
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Or a really stupidly nonsensical monster class.
    Like Chain devil.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Play Batman!

No, not that nonsense with the wizard crap. The Barbarian/Fighter/Avenging Executioner/(maybe ghostfaced killer?) with Kiai Shout and a bunch of chain tripping feats! You leap into the middle of a group of enemies, rage/Kiai Shout (GRARRR), they all piss themselves, and you suddenstrike/trip them as they try to run for their mommas. You have the stats to ensure a decently high save (charisma based) and still enough to make sure you get combat expertise and have a good dex and everything. It'd be oodles of noodles of fun! Add either a powerful build race or the Jotunbrud feat from races of Faerun if you can get it and everything is easy-peazy. Please note that while not explicitly stated, some DMs allow you to use the Jotunbrud feat to wield a large weapon as well. I'd talk to your individual DM about this, as it's controversial and mildly epic.

Sidenote: This is not a specific or ideal representation of batman, it's just a fear-striking fight 5-6 guys by yourself type, which while batman-esq, is admittedly only one aspect of the Caped Crusader. Please do not PM, respond, or otherwise heckle me with "more accurate" batman builds because I neither care nor like you. Kidding about the second part, I like you. Let's be friends. For serious, when this is all over, we should get a place together or something.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Sidenote: This is not a specific or ideal representation of batman, it's just a fear-striking fight 5-6 guys by yourself type, which while batman-esq, is admittedly only one aspect of the Caped Crusader. Please do not PM, respond, or otherwise heckle me with "more accurate" batman builds because I neither care nor like you. Kidding about the second part, I like you. Let's be friends. For serious, when this is all over, we should get a place together or something.
    Oh, I did miss you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Play a Do-It-All Fighter.

Cha 15 gets you Imperious Command. Int 13 gets you Trip-chain and all that. Dex for AoOs, Str for all combat maneuvers and Con for life. Dump Wis.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second the "put good stats in unlikely places" thought. It invariably leads to fun and games, especially if you play something tricky so your party members have no idea what you actually are.
    Rogue: "I'm just an everyday fighter who picks locks, doesn't wear armor, can use magic wands and is just as good with a siangham as I am with a longsword. What's hard to understand?"
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000