A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Possible to Edit the Language Filter?

Is it possible for the Board Administration to edit the language filter? Over on gaming, we've had a fairly persistent annoyance where the word "c hink" is filtered out... which I can understand completely, if its being used in a derogatory fashion. However, every time its been editted out, its been referring to weak places in armor, or even an official feat which lets people find those weak places.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Possible to Edit the Language Filter?

Could you all perhaps try using "flaw" instead? Just a friendly suggestion while you wait on Mods to look into your request, and in case they decide not to honor it.
    &&PM me for a custom avatar. My samples & guidelines || My PbP characters: Garon | Aodhan | Dhargen

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by erisian
    Could you all perhaps try using "flaw" instead? Just a friendly suggestion while you wait on Mods to look into your request, and in case they decide not to honor it.

In some cases, that works fine. However, the banned word is a legitimate word, with a use other than insulting the Chinese. Plus, we get back to the actual feat, which is not "Flaw in Armor" but "C hink in Armor"... it seems silly to ban using a legitimate, non-insulting word because it has an insulting meaning. It would be like banning cracker because it might be used to insult white people... when most people are going to use it to refer to a bland, over-cooked cookie.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

4. - Top - End - #4

I am not trying to dispute the legitimacy of your concern, I merely wanted to propose something of a workaround. For the feat, what happens if you use hyphens or underscores?

EDIT: nope. Those don't work. Hmmm. I have no good suggestion for that, other than to perhaps agree on an abbreviation (CIA?)
    &&PM me for a custom avatar. My samples & guidelines || My PbP characters: Garon | Aodhan | Dhargen

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

chink

There's one workaround - though not very elegant.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    chink

There's one workaround - though not very elegant.
    Ahh, I see, you bolded the "i" ... clever.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx
    It would be like banning cracker because it might be used to insult white people... when most people are going to use it to refer to a bland, over-cooked cookie.
    I'm offended by your slandering of crackers. ;D

Other than, that, I second your point.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like cookies better. But I understand where you're coming from. Plenty of words can double as lewd... like a synonym for detective, for instance, which is also short for Richard. Or preparing to fire a gun, or tilting one's head to the side. That's also another name for a rooster.

But the problem remains... if a word is allowed because it has a non-offensive use, it becomes that much more difficult to make sure it isn't used offensively. I know that most of us can be trusted to use those words correctly. But some of us can't, and while that's sad, I understand why it's in place. I only wish it didn't have to be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, too true... You can't expect the moderators to be there all the time to stop people from being offensive. Still, there are a few words that aren't filtered that should be.

So I can see both sides of the story. But a lot of people don't use the word for "female dog" other than a derogatory term anymore, and that needs to be added to the filter, while some might need taking out.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Morphius
    But the problem remains... if a word is allowed because it has a non-offensive use, it becomes that much more difficult to make sure it isn't used offensively. I know that most of us can be trusted to use those words correctly. But some of us can't, and while that's sad, I understand why it's in place. I only wish it didn't have to be.
    The thing is, its not the primary use of the word. I don't see that word in use in any context except armor or other holes. I can understand that mods can't be everywhere... but there's also the common use of language.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree. I'd like to see words that are mostly used for non-offensive purposes taken out of the language filter, as well. I just doubt it'll happen. Still, who knows? People here tend to be more mature than people on most forums. Maybe we'll get our chance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hate to say this, but if people were more mature here than on other boards, we wouldn't need the filter at all. Unfortunately, due to people's lack of ability to watch their language, a filter must be placed. People complain at Rich and the mods all of the time, but if they didn't place the filter there there would be a lot of nice kids that I like to play in PbPs on here that possibly might not be allowed to be on these boards.

So, I say, yay for filters!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

There are only two people who can change the language filter on these boards. Rich or my Forum Admin alter ego. This is Rich's domain, tho, so I don't feel comfortable making the change myself. I'll point this thread out to him, but I'm not promising anything. Otherwise, be patient.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

In the meantime, RB, is the use of bold or italics (like I used earlier in the thread) acceptable for people to use when using the term in a "proper" context? I'm sure if anybody does any filter dodging in a nasty way, the mods of that board will receive plenty of PMs. I'm more concerned about my earlier advice getting somebody in trouble for simply talking about the Chink in the Armor feat.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    In the meantime, RB, is the use of bold or italics (like I used earlier in the thread) acceptable for people to use when using the term in a "proper" context? I'm sure if anybody does any filter dodging in a nasty way, the mods of that board will receive plenty of PMs. I'm more concerned about my earlier advice getting somebody in trouble for simply talking about the Chink in the Armor feat.
    I don't see a problem with that, Zherog. We mods are an uptight bunch, but we have our limits. Your idea is a decent one (and shows another flaw of the board software. I can go one better on you and suggest that you don't put anything between the bold tags. Like this: nevermind, didn't work

Note anyone who uses this method to display racial slurs that are legitimately filtered out will likely be banned on the spot.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    Note anyone who uses this method to display racial slurs that are legitimately filtered out will likely be banned on the spot.
    Well, yeah. I don't think anyone was arguing with that.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx
    Well, yeah. I don't think anyone was arguing with that.
    I didn't say anyone was, but I wanna be on record with the warning. That's all.

18. - Top - End - #18

I do want to take a moment and say that this is the coolest message board I have ever attended. That this discussion can come up and be handled this maturely is an impressive thing.

And I second Morphius' opinion of the maturity here. I want to add that the mods here seem helpful without exception.

So, I'd like to buy everyone here a cookie!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Lilly's cookie was better:

It looks better on a white background, but whatever.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    I can go one better on you and suggest that you don't put anything between the bold tags. Like this: nevermind, didn't work
    I tried that first. ;)

A most excellent idea.
    John Ling

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree with you, RawBearNYC. I think you're being very flexible and reasonable about this, and anybody who abuses the generosity that you've shown us deserves to be banned. Flowery compliments aside, since this is my first time talking to a mod, I'd like to say that I'm definitely impressed! You guys seem like a very nice bunch.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphius
    You guys seem like a very nice bunch.
    They're just trying to trick you into a false sense of security. :P
    John Ling

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

So, THAT'S what it is! I knew it! HEY!!! Who stole my wallet!?!?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, I didn't even realize that there was a language filter at all until in the 3 word story game on the Silly Message Board I tried to use a word to describe a small dam used quite frequently in the Netherlands to hold back the ocean and got the filter message. I was using the word for its dam meaning [ha!] and just decided on writing something different altogether instead. 9 times out of 10 I would think its not a problem to just find a synonym for what you want to say but when trying to use the title of an official feat or such its darn annoying. On a more specific note though, didn't the wizard that lives by the coast change the name of the feat that let you slip your blade past their armor?
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard