New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 4th Level Wizard vs Golem (3.5)

My last session ended with us at the final tomb of the dungeon, where a large golem was blocking our path to the shiny treasures. My knowledge check revealed that it had all normal golem traits, plus some cheapo ranged attack. (I think it was called a Force Golem, but please don't reveal anything about it to me). The golem told us to turn back or be destroyed, so we kindly accepted his offer.

We are going back to defeat him but we need to prepare. Golems are immune to most all magics, and this is no exception, so which spells (1st and 2nd level) should I prepare? Any core spells are available to me, and I can buy new spells so don't worry about my current spell list.

Let me make sure I have this immunity thing correct too. They are only immune to spells that allow SR right?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 4th Level Wizard vs Golem (3.5)

You are correct, golems are only immune to spells that allow SR.

The other part of your question is a bit harder to answer. Golems are not only immune to spells, but also to all kinds of mind affecting effects and other similar stuff. I've never heard of a Force golem, but the regular golems are pretty hard to beat at level 4, so you might want to do some research on just how tough this golem is(to see if the DM even intended for you to beat it). If it turns out to be beatable, see if you cen get access to the Spell Compendium, or Complete Arcane. There you can find the lesser orb spells, that do damage and don't allow SR. From core the only spell that comes to mind(but is damn good for this purpose) is Grease. Beeing a golem its reflex save & balance skill are going to be pretty bad, so that's a good way to slow it down a bit.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Orbs, anything else that doesn't allow SR. Doesn't matter if it allows a save, since golems' saves suck. If it's a force golem, it probably has great touch AC, though, so you may have a hard time hitting with orbs. I'm sure there's a bunch of control spells that don't allow SR, though.

Buffing your party is a good option, too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I will probably be ninjaed, but as a wizard you can be very effective by boosting the powers of your friends. A heroism and a bulls strength and a haste on a fighter would make your wizards day.

Galdor
    ----------------------------
    "Better a witty fool than a foolish wit...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

He wouldn't happen to be on a bridge or anything, would he? I remember hearing about someone taking out an Adamantine Golem once by luring it onto a bridge and disintegrating the bridge.

Anyway, since I know where Force Golems come from, and I know what they're capable of, I'm not going to say anything more, since I'd be too tempted to reveal specific information.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You should mostly focus on party buffs, and let the fighter-types handle it. If you want to throw out offensive stuff, go for nondamaging spells like Grease and Glitterdust. Again, try to make it easier for your party to handle it. The actual killing is not your job.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

7. - Top - End - #7

I've got a few buffs and web (which was my current strategy, but I'm not sure how to beat it once we entangle it). Grease is a good idea, I can add that to my spellbook (I usually only take it if we have a rogue in the party).

The other three are a spiked chain fighter, a factotum (or whatever it is), and a druid. The druid will probably just buff his wolf and have him go to town, the spiked chain fighter will stand behind the wolf and attack, and I'm not sure what the factotum does yet. So far he's just soaked up the hits for us.

I'll probably buff up the fighter after casting grease or web.

Another question, if I cast mirror image and blur, do my images have 20% miss chance too? What about displacement?

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I'm not sure what the factotum does yet.
    The better question is, "What doesn't he do?" The factotum can do pretty much anything if he puts his mind to it (pun so very much intended).

By the way, if he doesn't know about it already, mention the Font of Inspiration feat to him. He'll be much more useful after he's given himself some more Inspiration points.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I've got a few buffs and web (which was my current strategy, but I'm not sure how to beat it once we entangle it). Grease is a good idea, I can add that to my spellbook (I usually only take it if we have a rogue in the party).

The other three are a spiked chain fighter, a factotum (or whatever it is), and a druid. The druid will probably just buff his wolf and have him go to town, the spiked chain fighter will stand behind the wolf and attack, and I'm not sure what the factotum does yet. So far he's just soaked up the hits for us.

I'll probably buff up the fighter after casting grease or web.
    Glitterdust blinds the Golem (No SR and Golems don't have immunity to blindess trait), do I have to spell out how awesome that is?
    He can't use ranged attacks while blind unless DM metagames or you make lots of niose in a certain area (he can't target you then).
    Another question, if I cast mirror image and blur, do my images have 20% miss chance too? What about displacement?
    Nope. The Mirror Images just look/act like you: they don't have any of your abilities.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Nope. The Mirror Images just look/act like you: they don't have any of your abilities.
    But if I look blurred, wouldn't they look blured as well? Well, I guess it makes common sense, but the mechanics wouldn't agree with me...

Thanks for glitterdust, I've already got that one in my spellbook, I'll be sure to prepare it (I thought it was mind affecting for some reason).
    Last edited by Jack Zander; 2008-09-29 at 11:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I also have the book with the Force Golem in it, so I'll be quiet, except to reassure that it is a CR-appropriate challenge for your party, you're not being hit with something like a Stone/Clay/Iron Golem in a different material wrapper.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lessee... given what you know about the Golem (named Force Golem, imm. magic, cheapo ranged attack, linked to force magic [logical leap]), let's try and see what tactics it may use against you.

Golems typically are very physically powerful, so it may just bash your heads in. This can be counteracted with the stat buffing spells (bear's endurance, cat's grace, bull's strength) to an extent. The deflect and lesser deflect spells from PHB II can aid you personally in surviving the golem, in case it gets to you.

"Cheapo ranged attack" means you are probably dealing with a golem that can blast you with force attacks or something. That's... tough to deal with. Force is hard to resist (typically touch attacks, and force damage is almost impossible to have resistance to), and combined with it's likely physical prowess, you may wish to think about going blasty rather than defensive.

Good options for tactics: use the environment against it (use sonic spells to blow the area apart, Shatterfloor from Spell Compendium is good for that; lurn in onto bridges and bull rush it off them; stuff like that); try buffing the melee damage dealers, but keep in mind that many golems have high AC and possibly DR; try no save/no SR spells (Orb spells, if you can get scrolls of them) but keep in mind that it's touch AC is likely to be high (force effects = defensive stuff, after all).

Overall: you're likely in for a real tough fight. Force effects are powerful, and golems are as well. A Force Golem is likely to be seriously dangerous. Tell the druid to pick up a stick of cure medium/light, or to simply prepare a few, since the fighter/factorum are probably gonna take some heavy hits. As for you, I suggest you cast Invisibility to begin, then follow that with Greace, Web, Glitterdust, and other environmental spells.

Good luck, let us know how you fare!

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    "Cheapo ranged attack" means you are probably dealing with a golem that can blast you with force attacks or something. That's... tough to deal with. Force is hard to resist (typically touch attacks, and force damage is almost impossible to have resistance to), and combined with it's likely physical prowess, you may wish to think about going blasty rather than defensive.
    As a low-level force-based creature, it would not be illogical for that ranged attack to be a magic missile. Adding a Shield spell might be worth it. Even if I'm wrong, +4 AC can't hurt.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    As a low-level force-based creature, it would not be illogical for that ranged attack to be a magic missile. Adding a Shield spell might be worth it. Even if I'm wrong, +4 AC can't hurt.
    True, but if it is'nt magic missile then Shield acts likethe goggles from the simpsons: they do nothing!

Ray/ranged touch attacks ignore every armor/shield bonus. Shield spell is a shield bonus (Force effects just help to defend vs incorporeals...are there incorporeal golems?)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

It also depends a lot on your buff time. A Summoning is good for a surprise round attack, since after the spider shows up, it can essentially make a ranged touch attack to force the Golem to skip its next turn. But the 1-round casting is annoying without a buff time. Grease is good, the Orbs are good, Dust is good.It's a giant Fighter with high SR. Not too hard to knock it on it's bum.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16

The DM read off a brief description of it's ranged attack to us (courtesy of my knowledge check), and I believe it's more of a push you around type thing if I remember correctly. I don't think the name actually is referring to force damage, but rather to physics force.

To be honest, I'm probably not going to buff myself at all. We know where it is, and it's not going to move from it's guardian position, so we have all the time we want to prepare. I'll buff all my teammates (probably with scrolls), and then I'll go invisible and open up the fight with grease or glitterdust.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll let you guys know what happens (probably this Thursday).

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm just unsure why your DM said the specifics of its attacks, but didn't reveal what the creature actuall is. The rules on knowledge are a bit vague, but it's certain that with a 10+HD check you can identify it. So if you know it has a special ranged attack, why don't you know what that actually is?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

18. - Top - End - #18

he does.
    it is a force golem.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

If that's what he read you, and if he's following the default guidelines given in *monster source censored for your protection*, then it sounds like you hit the DC 19 Knowledge (Arcana) check but fell short of the DC 24.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I never understood topics such as this one... So you're asking advice, but you don't want us to tell you anything about the specific creature? It's metagaming both ways, this is just to a lesser extent. Either way you're using knowledge that your character didn't obtain.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueWizardGirl

Asking other people for advice is the only way to properly RP a character with superhuman intelligence (like most wizards). Since we can't individually be as smart as the character is actually supposed to be, asking a whole forum's worth of people for tactical advice is the only way he can simulate his character's thought process.

Now, if he were playing an INT-dumping barbarian, then you'd have a good point, it would be metagaming.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Dang, my Knowledge check was a 21...

I fail to see how this is metagaming. I'm asking what some useful spells would be to use against creatures immune to spells. This is knowledge that my character specifically knows from my knowledge check, and I have 24 hours to prepare for the encounter in the safety of a town 6 hours away.

If I was a blaster who asked which elements should I prepare against it, then I could see how this would be metagaming, but so far I've done nothing that my character wouldn't already have done (learned about this golem and is now pouring through his own spellbook for useful spells, and possibly researching new spells that may be of use). And actually, I don't need any new spells, though I do need to scribe a scroll so I can get an extra 2nd level spell.

23. - Top - End - #23

Question Re: 4th Level Wizard vs Golem (3.5)

Plenty of good advise above...

Just one question, are you actually suppose to fight the golem or might this be a puzzle sort of thing?
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    Plenty of good advise above...

Just one question, are you actually suppose to fight the golem or might this be a puzzle sort of thing?
    At this golem's CR I imagine they're supposed to fight it.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm pretty sure we're just suppose to fight it. It's guarding a tomb of a fallen religious hero, and we want to loot his tomb.

Hmm... that plot hook doesn't seem so good anymore. We need to stop finding quests from crazy people preaching in the streets about blights upon the world.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, you're adventurers. You don't care about "good" (unless you're a paladin). You just care about getting phat lewtz and sweet, sweet XP.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    At this golem's CR I imagine they're supposed to fight it.
    Opps, I missed that. If it's CR I you really shouldn't have a lot of trouble with it.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

28. - Top - End - #28

CR I? That doesn't that stand for Impossible does it?

29. - Top - End - #29

Thumbs up Re: 4th Level Wizard vs Golem (3.5)

CR I? That doesn't that stand for Impossible does it?
    Roman Numerals: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, etc.

So, not impossible unless you're doing long division by hand.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-29 at 10:23 PM.

~Kahlil Gibran

30. - Top - End - #30

Erm, that was a joke. Reread his post, I'm pretty sure he was using a pronoun, not a roman numeral.