Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Flames of War: Diplomacy

Spring 1901

The season is spring, the year is 1901. It is the turn of the century and all is quiet. But the Russian Bear is coming out of hibernation and all across Europe, armies are on the move. From their separate capitols, the great leaders of Europe eye each other with suspicion and doubt, for doubtless each is plotting the downfall of the other. And when the flames of war are lit, they can only be drenched by blood.

It is the best of times, it is the worst...

Okay, enough of that then. That was plenty depressing. Don't think about things that way! Surely everyone else here is friendly and completely honest. No one would possibly be unkind to you in any way!

Here's the map, just once more, for your benefit...

And the players...

Austria - TeeEl Vexen
    England - Viggo
    France - Shular
    Germany - Moody
    Italy - Meshakhad Shishnarfne
    Russia - Meklor Ilavator
    Turkey - Maldiem

Now get diplomating. And everyone check in, preferably in character. I'll set a due date for orders once everyone's checked in.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2009-01-11 at 07:04 PM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

2. - Top - End - #2

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Flames of War: Diplomacy

Guten Tag, esteemed leaders of Europe. I am Herr Moody, personal advisor to the Kaiser. All communications intended for the Kaiser must be screened through my office first.

OoC: PMs are good, and so is IM: Londonwerewolf6 on AIM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

On behalf of the President and people of the great Republic of France, I give greetings to my fellow Europeans. It is with distress that we hear of rumblings of disorder from the east, and offer ourselves as arbitrators and ambassadors of peace to our neighbors.

I will be contacting you each soon, and hope you will feel comfortable corresponding with us in return.

Regards,
    France
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I may be an alternate, but I'd like to offer my services as someone's Minister of Defense. I have experience in these matters, and I can construct projections.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid_lord View Post
    I rise from the depths of hell once more to answer the call of...MESHAKHAD!!!!
    Founder/Rabbi of the Kazumi Kato and Daigo ???? Fanclub

Gordon Freeman avatar by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greetings! The great people of the mighty Austro-Hungarian Empire look forward to becoming a road bump on another country's path to world conquest. We welcome our future conquerors, whether they are Russian, Turkish, German, French, Italian, or English! Or possibly Japanese; I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.
    My homebrew project: 3.5e generic class overhaul

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The most Powerful and Glorious Tsar wishes me to declare that our embassies are open to all participants in this conflict, including those lazy Italians, dirty Tu... what do you mean not that part? Uhh... We hope to have fruitful discussions with all of you momentarily.

The Awesome Minister of Steamrollers Defense,
    Meklor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The great Sultan of the Ottoman Empire magnanimously greets the West. Inquiries for Imperial protectoratship should be directed to our embassy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Austria, Turkey, and Russia. I'm sure the three of you will get along swimmingly.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Meanwhile, in Switzerland...

Someone mutters "Everything is going according to plan!"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Meshakhad, while you are an alternate, I would prefer that, unless you are called upon to take up a fallen leader's place, you limit posting in the game thread to informational posts and such. By which I mean, if you want to ask about the game, or advertise another game, or some such, that's cool, but it would be cool if you could keep role-playing to games you're, well, in. 'kay?

That said, you're the first alternate, so you very well could be called upon.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-09-30 at 10:48 PM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salutations, European leaders,

My name is King Vincent I of England, recently inagurated and ready to defend the people of my empire.

Communications can be directed by private message or AOL instant message at vincethewiseguy.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I sent out some PMs, but got a couple error messages. Please let me know if you have not heard from me yet. Thanks.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thewamp View Post
    Meshakhad, while you are an alternate, I would prefer that, unless you are called upon to take up a fallen leader's place, you limit posting in the game thread to informational posts and such. By which I mean, if you want to ask about the game, or advertise another game, or some such, that's cool, but it would be cool if you could keep role-playing to games you're, well, in. 'kay?

That said, you're the first alternate, so you very well could be called upon.
    Fair enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

OOC: I'm sorry, but I have to pull out from the game. Yesterday involved a ton of things showing up which means I won't have the time to truly play. I would've loved to play Diplo especially since it's been so long, but in the present sitiuation, I simply don't have the time to play as diplomatically as the game requires. So please pull an alternative for Ita.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    OOC: I'm sorry, but I have to pull out from the game. Yesterday involved a ton of things showing up which means I won't have the time to truly play. I would've loved to play Diplo especially since it's been so long, but in the present sitiuation, I simply don't have the time to play as diplomatically as the game requires. So please pull an alternative for Ita.
    Meshakhad, if you want the slot, you've got it. Told you there was a decent chance of that happening.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Greetings, fellow leaders.

It is my unfortunate duty to inform you that this morning, a group of anarchists set off a bomb in the Senate while President Eldariel was giving an address. There were no survivors.

I have formed a Committee of Public Safety to take control of the government until such time as these threats to the people of Italy are dealt with. We do not seek war with our neighbors, though should we discover that these anarchists were backed by a foreign power, they shall feel our wrath.

Director Meshakhad
    Committee of Public Safety
    Rome, Rom
    Nation of Italy
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

And then there were Seven...

The game is now officially starting. After this first turn, for the first few years, you'll have a week for each turn. Spring and Fall orders will be due on Sunday with retreats and builds in the following days. Please stay on top of the schedule and please check within 24 hours of the Sunday due date so that, if there are retreats, they can be quickly resolved.

If at any point you feel like giving up and quitting, I obviously can't stop you, but I would appreciate notification.

Spring 1901 Orders are due 10/12/08 at 2300 GMT-5 (EDT)
    At least, I think it's GMT-5... we're in daylight savings time at the moment in the US. Any idea how that would affect the GMT offset?

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand you're involved with more than one game. Is there a specific format you'd like us to use in our PM order headings?

For example "Flames of War: France Spring 1901"

Edit: I should also note that that is the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada and, as I'll be visiting my parents that weekend I will probably be unavailable from the Saturday morning to the Monday afternoon.
    Last edited by Shular; 2008-10-01 at 03:06 PM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Shular View Post
    I understand you're involved with more than one game. Is there a specific format you'd like us to use in our PM order headings?

For example "Flames of War: France Spring 1901"

Edit: I should also note that that is the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada and, as I'll be visiting my parents that weekend I will probably be unavailable from the Saturday morning to the Monday afternoon.
    FoW: France Spring 1901
    would suffice, but that's just fine too. Actually, as long as you give me "FoW" or "FW" and your country's name, I'll probably be fine. But the above format is the most convenient.

And about Thanksgiving/holidays in general: the schedule isn't set in stone, so I'll dodge major holidays and their surrounding breaks.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems very quiet (I hope it's not just people not wanting to talk to me ). Are there any objections to bumping up the first order submission date? Are there players with anything more to discuss with each other?
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Shular View Post
    It seems very quiet (I hope it's not just people not wanting to talk to me ). Are there any objections to bumping up the first order submission date? Are there players with anything more to discuss with each other?
    Well if it's very quiet, how about this...
    Everyone, when you submit orders, you can include "FINAL" in the body or subject of the PM. If I've recieved a PM from everyone before the deadline labeled "FINAL," I'll adjudicate. That doesn't mean, by the way, that it has to actually be your final draft. You can still send in new orders after your "final" one. It's just that once you've sent in a set of orders labeled as such you're okay with me adjudicating as soon as all orders are in.

I really don't want to rush the first turn's orders...
    Or I could just bump up the first order submission date, but I'd need to hear a consensus. So if you want to bump it up to, say, thursday, you can go ahead and mention that, here.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-10-05 at 03:17 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't mind moving it up to thursday.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

I'm fine with it.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, Thursday's fine by me. Maybe preferable, even, because I'll be gone most of this upcoming weekend.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

i care not

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Thursday works for me. Now we just need to hear from Maldiem and TeeEl
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Thursday is fine with me as well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, can anyone guess where I got the idea for the "Committee of Public Safety"?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

french revolution

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe a Half Life reference? Just a guess, based on the avatar.