Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 42 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Girl Genius III: Nize Thread!

Old Batterd Uzed Thread kan be fonds here.

================

And for people new to Girl Genius :

Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip.
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius. (because one can never have enough TV Trope love)
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (A compliation [and much easier to read if you're just catching up] of the entries can be found here at the GG website)
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    The Secret Blueprints for Vol 1. Contains background infomation on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers. (NOTE: should the Secret Blueprints be removed from that page they can be found [sans pretty pictures] here.)
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius III: Nize Thread!

The bird thing looks very familiar - I want to say it's a reference to an old Looney Toons cartoon, or something of the like?

Also, the Eye of the Snake Eater sounds like a potential Chekhov's Gun to me. It merited a reference separate from the rest of the progress on finding the lab, after all.

And this is the first I've heard of the Secret Blueprints, which are now going to guarantee I don't study for the midterms I have this week.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I didz not expekt vos two to be showink up againk.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleipnir looks so cute in the 4th panel.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

What happened to Sleiphner's betrothed? I would have expected her to rassle him up, if only for more firepower. Then again, she might not like said betrothed as much as she said. I am kinda bad at reading into comic character body language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, nize first post!

As for Slepnir... while I was Archive Trawling for no good reason, I took a close look at Theo on this page and noticed the red haired girl in green next to him. Now, while she didn't look much like Theo, and Othar didn't mention her it seemed likely that any red head wearing green standing next to Theo was likely to be Slepnir.

Of course, this all occurred to me after it had become obvious that Theo & Gil weren't in The Castle... I mean, if Phil was going to throw us one curve ball, why not two?

Particularly when the second curve ball is big on the curves and gives Phil an excuse to put her in some sort of evening-wear Spy Catsuit

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    What happened to Sleiphner's betrothed? I would have expected her to rassle him up, if only for more firepower. Then again, she might not like said betrothed as much as she said. I am kinda bad at reading into comic character body language.
    Sleipnir loves adventure

I'm guessing she either felt that her betrothed could cool his heels for a bit, or Theo may have just picked up a more permanent partner in crime

Also: Sleipner O'Hara, for proper spelling
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-09-30 at 11:38 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Eye of the Snake Eater?

Spoiler
    Show

So that's where that thing went!

Sounds like a reference to me.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-09-30 at 11:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm... this has been bugging me for a bit. Does anyone else think it's interesting that Sleipnir is named after Odin's eight legged horse?
    Last edited by chionophile; 2008-09-30 at 11:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default New thread? Okay, but why, exactly...

Okay, so the other thread has been ended at 50 pages, and then has been Sheriff-d into a coma. Funnily enough, I was looking through the forum rules rand other things right when the discussion of "50 pages, what will we name the new thread" started, and I never did find a clear statement that 50 pages is the limit...especially given that the forum software can obviously handle a whole lot more.

So, pardon my pixieness, but where in the heck is this limit clearly documented? You see, I used to run a nuclear reactor underwater, and in that sort of situation one starts to actually try (sometimes) to read the directions...it's pretty obvious that the mods want 50 pages, but I'd just like to have more clear understanding (and maybe documentation) of the basis.

--ripple

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yay. Back when we thought Gil was one of the two people in the Castle, the only reason I didn't want him to be with Theo is because that would mean that Sleipnir wasn't along for the ride.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Ripple: You see, though, this forum isn't a nuclear reactor. It's the Roland & Rawhide show a private forum.

50 pages is the recommended limit. More than that is possible, but a strain on the server. It's specifically enforced in the play-by-post forums, due to high thread turnovers and post rates there, but they've been keeping an eye on Webcomics ever since one of the Dominic Deegan threads drifted into inappropriate topics somewhere in the triple digits of pages.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-09-30 at 11:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New thread? Okay, but why, exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by ripple View Post
    Okay, so the other thread has been ended at 50 pages, and then has been Sheriff-d into a coma. Funnily enough, I was looking through the forum rules rand other things right when the discussion of "50 pages, what will we name the new thread" started, and I never did find a clear statement that 50 pages is the limit...especially given that the forum software can obviously handle a whole lot more.

So, pardon my pixieness, but where in the heck is this limit clearly documented? You see, I used to run a nuclear reactor underwater, and in that sort of situation one starts to actually try (sometimes) to read the directions...it's pretty obvious that the mods want 50 pages, but I'd just like to have more clear understanding (and maybe documentation) of the basis.

--ripple
    There was a thread in Board & Site issues a while back. You won't get punished for violating it, so they don't feel the need to make it an actual rule. I believe the exact word they used was 'tradition'. *eyeroll*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

New thread! Hooray! Like the title.

Yay Gil is back! With Theo and Sleipnir! Slightly disappointed that he's not in the castle. Means that there'll be several complications before I get to see him kick Tarvek's ass.
    Not that there wouldn't be a bazillion complications if he were inside the castle.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    It's specifically enforced in the play-by-post forums, due to high thread turnovers and post rates there, but they've been keeping an eye on Webcomics ever since one of the Dominic Deegan threads drifted into inappropriate topics somewhere in the triple digits of pages.
    Hey, the DD Legendary Thread (Mk II) ended once we reached 300 pages and OVER 9000 posts. Mk III ended because we ended up discussing inappropriate subject matters at about Page 50.

@ripple: It's nothing to get worked up about. Forums are like people's houses - we're just guests here, and it's polite to follow the suggestions of your host.

Plus, with this customary cap, no single thread can surpass the Epic Status of DD Mk II
    Muahahahahahaha!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #15

Zo. De trilobyte insignias Sleipner and Theo are wearing....

Mechanicsburg fashion statement, or a silent declaration of loyalty?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    Zo. De trilobyte insignias Sleipner and Theo are wearing....

Mechanicsburg fashion statement, or a silent declaration of loyalty?
    Well, Theo has some claim to it, but I'm pretty sure Sleipnir just picked hers up at the local giftshop

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: New thread? Okay, but why, exactly...

--ripple
    [NOTE: This is a bit of redundantness (I had to step away from the computer) on the topic since a couple of other people posted, but there's some new info in this post]

I help run a large-ish board elsewhere on the net, and I can tell you that thread size makes a huge difference when it comes to server load. Mostly searching threads and archiving them. And since people were constantly complaining about the time it took to load up the board, as near as I can tell, one of the things that the staff decided to do was try to cut off discussion at 50 pages.

So why weren't old threads chopped up? As a person who runs a board, I can say that it just isn't worth the bother usually. Waaaay too tedious to go in and do it. Best just to make sure that people try to not do it again than go back and chop up all the old ones.

As for "official rules" on the subject, it's a policy, not a rule.

Last in-depth discussion I know about the topic can be found here.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2008-10-01 at 12:08 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

*looks around*

I hereby christen this page the S.S. Theonir.

(EDIT: Specifically the last panel)

You may now resume your ordinary lives
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-10-01 at 12:16 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post

@ripple: It's nothing to get worked up about. Forums are like people's houses - we're just guests here, and it's polite to follow the suggestions of your host.

Plus, with this customary cap, no single thread can surpass the Epic Status of DD Mk II
    Muahahahahahaha!
    Oh, I'm not worked up, I just hate when I can't figure out someone's culture and customs because I never learned the s3kr1t handshake etc.

Now that I know it's all a Vast Dominic Deegan Conspiracy I feel much better.

In other GG news, I'm glad to see that that really *was* Theo and Sleipnir I thought I'd spotted in the parade scene, and that the globular *paf* was from our favorite energy source/lamp/invisibility device. There's still a non-zero chance that it's connected to the time portal. (Anyone else wondering how many more months of calendar time before we find out the story behind the Gilsterdamen outfit?)

So, we're just about due for a Klaus viewpoint, probably raging over the torchmen attack on CW. What additional exposition do we expect from G&T&S before the viewpoint switches? Or do we really expect them to make it into the Kestle in full camera view?

--ripple

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

So, we're just about due for a Klaus viewpoint, probably raging over the torchmen attack on CW. What additional exposition do we expect from G&T&S before the viewpoint switches? Or do we really expect them to make it into the Kestle in full camera view?
    Hmmm... no, I don't expect to see Klaus until they make it to the Castle. I do expect to see Mecha Klaus personally arranging the Rumbletoys & Aetherics to take down the Castle when the S.S. Theonir (plus Gil) arrives outside the Grand Causeway. This will allow for some sneaky business, followed by a dramatic confrontation between Klaus & Gil before the S.S. Theonir slips inside the Castle.

Before then, I expect 1-2 pages of Gil & Theonir catching each other up and developing some emotions.

Also: where the hell is Wooster?!?!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Also: where the hell is Wooster?!?!
    We went over this in the last thread. Or tried to, anyway.

Linky for reference.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaja's updated the Cast Page with new info tonight.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info...cast08.php#gil

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    We went over this in the last thread. Or tried to, anyway.

Linky for reference.
    That was a month ago. I'm still curious where the hell Wooster has gotten off to. Everyone else who is in Mechanicsburg is accounted for (including a bunch we didn't think about)... except for Carson, Oublenmach and Wooster.

Man, I hope we cut to them next. I bet it'd be an epic showdown

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

(III) Lost lab in India you say... and related to Lucretzia? I think I've found where Lucretzia's Summer Home is located
    Except that the Lost Lab is his father's, while Lucrezia was his mother's sister?

Does anyone else think Theo's new duds make him look like he's wearing a pair of road hazard signs?
    ~Xel

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xel View Post
    Except that the Lost Lab is his father's, while Lucrezia was his mother's sister?
    Ah yes, but how did Theo's family get familiar with the Mongfish if he was all the way out in India?

In case I'm being too vague: I think that the Mongfish Summer Home (and therefore Geisterdamen... and possibly Skifander) are somewhere near India, possibly in the vicinity of Theo's dad's Lost Lab! Presumably, Lucretzia's sister met up with the charming chap on a vacation sometime.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-10-01 at 01:01 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ah yes, but how did Theo's family get familiar with the Mongfish if he was all the way out in India?

In case I'm being too vague: I think that the Mongfish Summer Home (and therefore Geisterdamen... and possibly Skifander) are somewhere near India, possibly in the vicinity of Theo's dad's Lost Lab! Presumably, Lucretzia's sister met up with the charming chap on a vacation sometime.
    Ah. Nice reasoning, although a bit light on supporting evidence. But isn't that the way it goes with GG? Speculation rules...
    ~Xel

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xel View Post
    Ah. Nice reasoning, although a bit light on supporting evidence. But isn't that the way it goes with GG? Speculation rules...
    I am also the founder of the Tin Foil Hat Alliance (TFHA), a secret society devoted to the creation and preservation of outlandish theories

Though, in all honesty, I'm thinking Geisterdamen City & Skifander are actually in Africa somewhere... though I have been impressed with the globe-spanning nature of GG. China, India, the Middle East... and apparently America too.

Gosh, it's a shame we're not going to actually see most of those places though.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

28. - Top - End - #28

Hey, the DD Legendary Thread (Mk II) ended once we reached 300 pages and OVER 9000 posts. Mk III ended because we ended up discussing inappropriate subject matters at about Page 50.

Muahahahahahaha!
    Not surpass? But it already has... No idea why that one's still going, though.

S.S. Theonir, eh? Not bad. And good work spotting Theo on page 69, I never noticed him there.
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi View Post
    Not surpass? But it already has... No idea why that one's still going, though.
    Well... the DD thread had 300 pages of Snark though. And it's own Encyclopedia. And blackjack. And hookers. Okay, just forget about the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi View Post
    S.S. Theonir, eh? Not bad. And good work spotting Theo on page 69, I never noticed him there.
    I can't take credit for it - it was pointed out to me (and others) while we were speculating on who made Gil go papf. Sleipnir, I basically only noticed last week... but I don't think anyone else mentioned her there.

I take full credit (and blame) for the S.S. Theonir though. Hopefully it'll be able to join up with the S.S. Zeethiggs and some third ship to make the Secondary Character Armada

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I take full credit (and blame) for the S.S. Theonir though. Hopefully it'll be able to join up with the S.S. Zeethiggs and some third ship to make the Secondary Character Armada
    Sanloch, no doubt. Kaja goes out of her way to pimp it on the cast page, after all.

Still, until I hear otherwise, Sleipnir is happily engaged to someone who is not at all Theo.