New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cartomancy

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Cartomancy

I don't usually do this, but: I've just completed most of a huge project I've been working on for a while, and I'd appreciate people's support and/or criticism of it. The topic is Cartomancy, and there's a thread in the homebrew forum about it right now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cartomancy

Quick thought - why are you not using the traditional names for the cards (see Wikipedia)? That would make the class more compatible with most decks.

Also, it seems a bit unclear on how the Cartomancer is supposed to prepare his magics. Does he simply prepare his spells more or less normally, or does he randomly draw them from a deck?

And finally, I don't know if you really need two effects per card per facing - with ~80 cards in the deck, and each one capable of being reversed or straight, it seems somewhat unnecessary.

I do like the class, though.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cartomancy

I'd use the typical Rider-Waite deck, but I have this issue with bringing real-world theology/mysticism into gameplay. As for preparation, think of it as a cleric who chooses a number of domains daily, and is limited to casting from those domains.

And on the number of spells? Well, think of how many spells a wizard or druid has available to them: well over a hundred in the PHB alone. I'd like to make 40 cards with 6 spells (3 up, 3 down) each, for a total of 240 spells--with, of course, some duplicates between them. It's a big task, but it's one I think will be worth it in the end.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-10-02 at 07:17 PM.