New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 3.5 arcane ranger

I don't like the idea of multiclassing, and my dm says all the classes i make are to strong so I want all you know on a arcane ranger. You know a ranger with arcane spells because i like rangers and wizards
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Please ignore my speling.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 arcane ranger

You could give them a set of survival-based Arcane spells in place of their normal Divine spells while using Int instead of Wis. I'll try to come up with a list for you quickly.

EDIT: I was focussing on spells which would be useful for wilderness survival, and I also put the Summon Monster spells in to replace the Summon Nature's Ally spells:

1: Endure Elements, Alarm, Obscuring Mist, True Strike, Jump, Expeditious Retreat, Mount, Summon Monster 1.
    2: Web Summon, Resist Energy, Fog Cloud, Rope Trick, Summon Monster 2, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace.
    3: Phantom Steed, Sleet Storm, Summon Monster 3, Heroism, Tiny Hut, Wind Wall, Haste, Water Breathing.
    4: Stoneskin, Secure Shelter, Solid Fog, Wall of Ice, Summon Monster 4, Locate Creature, Minor Creation, Fire Shield.

Having Spellcraft and/or Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill would help as well, possibly in place of Knowledge (Dungeoneering).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-10-04 at 01:00 PM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

how about some evocation spells realated to nature like:
    1 shocking grasp
    2 shatter, Flaming sphere, contiual flame
    3lightnig bolt, wind wall, leomunds tiny hut
    4 wall of fire or ice
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A Ranger's casting is so limited that I don't think it would be unbalancing for you to just use the Wizard/sorcerer spell list in place of the ranger's normal casting. Then again, it's quite a poor caster either way, and it sounds like you want someone who can actually cast competently as well as be a ranger. Could you describe what parts of the ranger you'd be focusing on, and what you want to be doing with your spells? If you did that, we might be able to just find you a class more suited to your needs.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Make it a Mystic Ranger (available at http://www.crystalkeep.com) - they have casting almost on par with the Bard. Then give it some arcane spells (Web definitely, perhaps summons, fog-spells, etc.) that fit the "nature"-theme and kick ass. Really, it kinda sucks Rangers are divine casters instead of arcane - otherwise Arcane Archer would actually have a place in D&D (as a Ranger PrC), and the Elf Arcane Magic/Nature-combo would make sense!
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Try a Duskblade with wilderness/ranger fluff?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Could you describe what parts of the ranger you'd be focusing on, and what you want to be doing with your spells? If you did that, we might be able to just find you a class more suited to your needs.
    I like combat style, animal companion, and favorite enemy. I just want arcane spells. but my dm says it's to powerful
    Last edited by ridly; 2008-10-04 at 04:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ridly View Post
    I like combat style, animal companion, and favorite enemy. I just want arcane spells. but my dm says it's to powerful
    So, you want the three main features of the Ranger class as well as the main feature of the Sorc/Wiz...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So, you want the three main features of the Ranger class as well as the main feature of the Sorc/Wiz...
    Uh, he isn't asking for level 9 spells. He's rather asking for a toned down version of one of the 4-5 primary class features of Bard... Combat Style isn't much of a class feature - just few bonus feats. Ranger's Animal Companion sucks (½ level - I mean, WTF? It's like Wizards didn't WANT you to use it), leaving Ranger to the skills and favoured enemy - I'd say those are its primary class features.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-10-04 at 04:57 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ranger + Hexblade spell list (and maybe + Hexblade's Dark Companion alt class feature in PHB-II instead of animal companion) would work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hi

Don't know about an Arcane Ranger, but made up a Ftr/Warmage 6 character for Living Planar. Will be going Eldritch Knight next level.

Warmages have excellent spells for Bow users. Accuracy, Truestrike, Flaming Arrow spring to mind. Gets better if the Archer has a Spell-Storing bow, for Scorching Ray, etc. (Upgrade later to Holy, add Energy damage Crystals, etc).

Eldritch Knight has Full BAB, Ftr saves, plus Full Caster after 1st lvl, when he gains free Ftr feat instead.

Cheers
    Paul H
    PS There's also a feat that allows you to add +2 to hit with ranged wpns as long as you have an 'Air' spell available.
    Last edited by Paul H; 2008-10-04 at 05:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, ignoring the fluff requirements if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: 3.5 arcane ranger

Duskblade with the Wild Cohort Feat and TWF/Rapid Shot feat chains?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I already included a lot of those spells in my list, ridly. (I mainly levt offensive spells out due to deciding that buff/utility spells would be more useful while fitting better). Does anyone else think that getting rid of the animal companion while moving the Combat Style progression feats back by 1 level while giving the Ranger Arcane spells would work? I'll think up some spells to add to this version's spell list.

EDIT:

0: Light, Prestigitation, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Dancing Lights, Resistance, Detect Magic.
    5: Mage's Faithful Hound, Fabricate, Animal Growth, Passwall, Transmute Mud to Stone, Transmute Stone to Mud,
    Wall of Stone, Mind Fog.
    6: Guards and Wards, Repulsion, Greater Heroism, Shadow Walk, Mass Bulls, Strength, Bear's Endurance and
    Cat's Grace, Move Earth.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-10-05 at 02:14 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Why not simply switch Ranger casting to Int instead of Wis, give him spells known as a Bard of half his level(give or take, the progression would be wonky), and allow him to draw from the Bard list as well as the Ranger one, with the DM having final approval of all spell selection.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Wouldn't that result in the Ranger ending up with slighty less spells then a normal Ranger?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    Wouldn't that result in the Ranger ending up with slighty less spells then a normal Ranger?
    Like I said, it needs adjusting, but that's how I'd balance it. And only spells known, keep spells-per-day the same.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There's a feat from Champions of Valor, i think, and you need to be 4th level in either class to take it. (plus some FR specific fluff requirements.)

Sword of the Arcane order. It applies to both paladins and rangers. Using the feat and access to a spellbook(your own or someone else's) you can prepare arcane spells in your ranger or paladin slots. These spells are all Int based, just like a wizard's so it increases your MAD, but if you're playing up the skill-monkey roll anyway, you'll probably already have a decent int.

No need to homebrew anything. just permission to use a campaign specific feat.

ninja'd---ooops looks like surlyseraph beat me to it---
    Last edited by mabriss lethe; 2008-10-05 at 03:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll third the Sword of the Arcane Order feat suggestion. It seems like it's exactly what you want.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-10-06 at 06:34 AM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

how about get the rogue/bard progression of base attack bonus, the magic progression of the bard with sorcerer's spell and keep everything else, pushing back the combat style progression acordingly with your base attack bonus? too powerful ?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

if you want to go from the wizard side there's a variant in Unearthed Arcana that lets you have a Ranger Animal Companion instead of a Familiar.

Combat style is just free feats, there's an elven wizard substitution level at 5 in races of the wild that offers a bow feat instead of a metamagic.
    I'm sure I've seen a favoured enemy for a wizard somewhere
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Does learning the feat Sword of the Arcane Order make a ranger or a paladin a arcane spell caster?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    You could give them a set of survival-based Arcane spells in place of their normal Divine spells while using Int instead of Wis. I'll try to come up with a list for you quickly.

EDIT: I was focussing on spells which would be useful for wilderness survival, and I also put the Summon Monster spells in to replace the Summon Nature's Ally spells:

1: Endure Elements, Alarm, Obscuring Mist, True Strike, Jump, Expeditious Retreat, Mount, Summon Monster 1.
    2: Web Summon, Resist Energy, Fog Cloud, Rope Trick, Summon Monster 2, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace.
    3: Phantom Steed, Sleet Storm, Summon Monster 3, Heroism, Tiny Hut, Wind Wall, Haste, Water Breathing.
    4: Stoneskin, Secure Shelter, Solid Fog, Wall of Ice, Summon Monster 4, Locate Creature, Minor Creation, Fire Shield.

Having Spellcraft and/or Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill would help as well, possibly in place of Knowledge (Dungeoneering).
    God damn thats a nice list. Especially stone skin, solid fog, and wall of ice heh. Although a full BA class with access to true strike SCREAMS 2hander + power attack.

It sounds like what you want to play is more of a dusk blade then a ranger my friend.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, ignoring the fluff requirements if necessary.
    Seconded.

This is a wildly useful fix for the Ranger (the most valuable part of it being that you can use Wizard wands, and share spells with your companion). Basically you get to play a full BAB Gish without the trouble of crazy multi-classing or PrC. There are also Mystra substitution levels out there somewhere (I think Champions of Valor) that add additional spells per level.