New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default No. Oh, no. Nooooooo!

Player's Handbook II, page 50. Monk character themes. All I can ask? Why? Why would anyone do that? What was the author thinking?! Take a good look at the "Stylist" fighters. And don't forget to look at how monks who fight with staffs refer to it as their "dragon pole" or "flowing water staff."

Tell me the whole thing is a joke. Please.

Seriously, try and imagine saying all those things listed there in a gaming table. "Dragon Claw!" signature attack my ***... I want to bash my head against the table and laugh while at it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: No. Oh, no. Nooooooo!

Rice Paper Walk

Footpaddin'

It's a joke that began in the PH.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I wondered whether the whole book was a joke; as well as the writer's tendancy to class Wis as more important to Favoured Souls then Cha, they refered to nobles paying low-level Wizards to cast Disguise Self on them for parties, and a lot of the quick-character creation "advice" was far from optimal.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Far from optimal, yes.
    But fun as hell.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I don't know, I can think of practical applications for renaming class features.

For example, it's a lot easier to convince your DM to let you play a high-Int barbarian in a d20 Modern game if you tell him that you're trying to build your character around NERD RAEG!

And if all your bard's Perform ranks are in Dance or Oratory or something it's just plain silly to talk about his/her bardic "music."

And your "oddly lucky" material-eschewing sorcerer who doesn't realize he's capable of casting spells certainly wouldn't refer to any of his "lucky breaks" as magic.

I'm only being halfway facetious.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    ...they refered to nobles paying low-level Wizards to cast Disguise Self on them for parties
    Why is this so strange? They're nobles. They like to spend lonts of money on lavish, impractical things. WHat better way to ensure an amazing costume for a party than magic like Disguise Self?

and a lot of the quick-character creation "advice" was far from optimal.
    Not everyone likes to play "optimal" characters. What's fun is fun. Now, whether the ones they offered are actually fun...well, that's another story. Not all of them are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol View Post
    Why is this so strange? They're nobles. They like to spend lonts of money on lavish, impractical things. WHat better way to ensure an amazing costume for a party than magic like Disguise Self?
    Disguise Self. Self. This exact thing was made fun of in one of the OotS comics.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Disguise Self. Self. This exact thing was made fun of in one of the OotS comics.
    Beat me to it, darn you.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Because the duration is 10 min/level. Don't know about you, but most parties tend to last more than 10-40 minutes.
    Wow, completely missed the range of the spell.
    Not everyone likes to play "optimal" characters. What's fun is fun. Now, whether the ones they offered are actually fun...well, that's another story. Not all of them are.
    The thing is, they present them as if they're optimal, so they're deliberately lying to you, like how even as late as the Complete Mage they seem to be saying "Direct Damage is the best thing for your wizard to do".
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2008-10-07 at 08:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    The thing is, they present them as if they're optimal, so they're deliberately lying to you, like how even as late as the Complete Mage they seem to be saying "Direct Damage is the best thing for your wizard to do".
    Like how they say the best schools for an Illusionist to drop are Conjuration and Transmutation? Or that Weapon Focus is useful in almost every book?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose dropping Conjuration and Transmutation makes sense froma fluff perspective if you're an Illusionist, but as you said, it's a terrible choice as far as optimisation goes. I'd assume that there was normally a link between characters being reasonably effective and being fun to play as in most cases. Using illusion spells for parties isn't odd, but the fact that WotC apparently don't know how one of their most basic spells works is rather concerning.

EDIT: It was the DMG 2 which made the Disguise Self comment (sotty about the mix-up).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-10-08 at 08:50 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Disguise Self. Self.
    Oy. Completely missed the key word, right in the title. Facepalm.

And I didn't realize they were trying to present the builds as optimized. I don't own a copy of PH2 myself, just look at a friend's when he's around, and so I guess I've forgotten some of the presentation of the various builds. I thought they were just sort of 'fast-and-dirty' guidelines for building characters higher than 1st rather quickly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    Player's Handbook II, page 50. Monk character themes. All I can ask? Why? Why would anyone do that? What was the author thinking?! Take a good look at the "Stylist" fighters. And don't forget to look at how monks who fight with staffs refer to it as their "dragon pole" or "flowing water staff."

Tell me the whole thing is a joke. Please.

Seriously, try and imagine saying all those things listed there in a gaming table. "Dragon Claw!" signature attack my ***... I want to bash my head against the table and laugh while at it.
    I just thought id let you know Wong fei hung a real man and folk hero of china was known for calling out his moves as or before he would do them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking back over the builds, I think they are supposed to be optimised. I suppose the Weapon Focus use for the Fighter builds makes sense due to them also using feats which grant large bonuses when using certain weapon types, but it doesn't really work for other classes. To a degree, the idea of having just 1 recommended spell list for Wizards is ill advised due to how versatile they are, but I can't believe they didn't mention Slow or Stinking Cloud for level 3 spells (I'd assume thay would be used more often in a normal game then Water Breathing).
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Looking back over the builds, I think they are supposed to be optimised. I suppose the Weapon Focus use for the Fighter builds makes sense due to them also using feats which grant large bonuses when using certain weapon types, but it doesn't really work for other classes. To a degree, the idea of having just 1 recommended spell list for Wizards is ill advised due to how versatile they are, but I can't believe they didn't mention Slow or Stinking Cloud for level 3 spells (I'd assume thay would be used more often in a normal game then Water Breathing).
    But without Water Breathing how can I use my Helm of Being Filled With Water?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm guessing that isn't a real item, right? If it is, you may want to try playing as a Lizardfolk due to how long they can hold their breath. Alternatively, you could ask the Cleric if s/he can store that spell (I tend to think that it's wise for the spellcasters to plan their spell lists together, especially since Clerics don't have to pay for any of their spells).
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm guessing that isn't a real item, right? If it is, you may want to try playing as a Lizardfolk due to how long they can hold their breath. Alternatively, you could ask the Cleric if s/he can store that spell (I tend to think that it's wise for the spellcasters to plan their spell lists together, especially since Clerics don't have to pay for any of their spells).
    No, that was a joke, I wasn't actually asking for optimization advice.

I wonder if one could get any use out of a Helm of Being Filled With Water, though...

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I assumed it was a joke (I just thought I'd give advice in case it was a real item for some reason). Actually, that would be very useful if you were playing as a race which breaths water.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    I wonder if one could get any use out of a Helm of Being Filled With Water, though...
    if you are in a situation where you can't breathe(poison gas, vacuum), and happen to have Water Breathing memorized...
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

The poison gas may be water soluble.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by toddex View Post
    I just thought id let you know Wong fei hung a real man and folk hero of china was known for calling out his moves as or before he would do them.
    I just thought I'd let you know that while Wong Fei Hung is indeed a real man and folk hero of China, calling out moves was a movie and book trope so that audience members would have an easier time following along. Shouting out "Shadowless Kick!", for example, was simply a way for viewers or readers to realize that he was using his "finishing move" and it was time to cheer.

In real life, calling out moves was only done for assessment purposes in training - to show you could perform a stance or attack properly you would call out its name and the master would check to see if it was correct. No one even considered shouting out moves in combat until some executive decided it would make for better TV.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Baidas Kebante View Post
    I just thought I'd let you know that while Wong Fei Hung is indeed a real man and folk hero of China, calling out moves was a movie and book trope so that audience members would have an easier time following along. Shouting out "Shadowless Kick!", for example, was simply a way for viewers or readers to realize that he was using his "finishing move" and it was time to cheer.

In real life, calling out moves was only done for assessment purposes in training - to show you could perform a stance or attack properly you would call out its name and the master would check to see if it was correct. No one even considered shouting out moves in combat until some executive decided it would make for better TV.
    Wong was a master of the Chinese martial art Hung Gar. He systematized the predominant style of Hung Gar and choreographed its version of the famous Tiger Crane Paired Form Fist, which incorporates his "Ten Special Fist" techniques. Wong was famous for his skill with the technique known as the "Shadowless Kick". He was known to state the names of the techniques he used while fighting.
    -edit Just a copy pasta from wikipedia but if I really felt like it i could search through the entries listed sources.
    Last edited by toddex; 2008-10-09 at 03:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

-edit Just a copy pasta from wikipedia but if I really felt like it i could search through the entries listed sources.
    Do you really trust Wiki on something that has been said to be popular confusion?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Do you really trust Wiki on something that has been said to be popular confusion?
    Well in this case it has the same weight as Baidas comment. I really dont feel like pursuing it further though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

See, there's your problem.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

...but if I really felt like it i could search through the entries listed sources.
    And you would find that the page lacks not only any reliable sources of any kind, but also any unreliable sources that say what the article says!
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    No, that was a joke, I wasn't actually asking for optimization advice.

Assassination attempts.
    Most people don't expect a HAT to drown them.

Most.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was under the impression that "calling out attack names" in combat was a result of radio dramas.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Rice Paper Walk

Footpaddin'

It's a joke that began in the PH.
    Tongue of the sun and the moon.
    Wholeness of body.
    Flurry of blows.

It started *before* renaming things.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Default And the hat came back, the very next day.

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Assassination attempts.
    Most people don't expect a HAT to drown them.

Most.
    Combine it with a False aura (whatever it's called: makes a necro item look conjuration or something), and a lodestone. Soon as they put it on, they cant get rid of it.
    Or some of D&D's krazy-glue.