New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #599 - The Discussion Thread

How could the plot have been written off? Imean there is half the team in that plot not to mention that Roy needs to be resurected and Belkar's mark has activated. I think that this subplot has been ajust a break from that one, in preparation for what's to come.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murphoid View Post
    The four words were already said. They were "Disintigrate. Gust of Wind." Remember when V was discussing writing in her spellbook and arguing that the one word of the spell couldn't possibly take up four pages in her spellbook. That was just to hammer home the point that the spell is one word so that the four words could be immediately noticed.
    They were pretty much to the right person for the wrong reason - the whole next strip hammered that point. Granted, it didn't immediately grant 'complete and total ultimate arcane power' but it does seem to be leading V. off the boat to where he can concentrate; or possibly make a deal with the imp in a disguise whom he may not realize was the source of the distractions.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

*sigh* I'm contemplating waiting up for this one ... Stupid college spoiling best laid plans =/

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

The four words were already said. They were "Disintigrate. Gust of Wind." Remember when V was discussing writing in her spellbook and arguing that the one word of the spell couldn't possibly take up four pages in her spellbook. That was just to hammer home the point that the spell is one word so that the four words could be immediately noticed.
    No, that was to repeat a standard gag[s] among D&D players. One would think that a spell that consists of one word would take less space in the spellbook, take less time to cast..., but that is not what the D&D rules say. The name was selected for color, not for any rules relationship. [Now if 5.0 has swift spells, it might rename them as Word of, or Power word...] But 306 has no relationship with the current point.
    We can in fact argue the reverse. Since V is saying Power Word Blind is one word, and the others do not disagree, she is thus saying that other spells are not one word, and this idea of just the title being actually spoken is simple literary convenience, not of any relationship to the four words of prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor
    They were pretty much to the right person for the wrong reason -
    3 of them were said to nobody at all. Kubota had ceased to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor
    Granted, it didn't immediately grant 'complete and total ultimate arcane power' but
    No buts. It simply has no relationship with the gaining of untimate arcane power beyond that held by every other time he has said 4 words..

So it was not 4 words, and they were not said to anybody, and any relationship to gaining arcane power is weak indeed. That's 3 strikes. This theory is out.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Orc in the Playground

Any1 else sensing major situational irony? We always have thought Belkar would be the one who would leave of his own free will, instead he ends up begging to stay and staying and V being the one who leaves because of the party members.
    High Warlord of Fan Club

Master Guitarist of the Fanclub

Vote for your favorite characters at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95797.

Big Thanks to Lascivious and Ceika for my Avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    So it was not 4 words, and they were not said to anybody, and any relationship to gaining arcane power is weak indeed. That's 3 strikes. This theory is out.
    Disintergrate, Gust, Of, Wind. 1,2,3,4.

I think the oracle, who delights in obscurity (like all oracles), would have no problem with the target's arguable non-existence.

Weak relationship? Remember - "Gift horse in mouth": Haley's rejecting her suspicion lead to here being in a situation that led to her saying something that lead to her getting her speech back. A weak relationship is what we are looking for.
    V's killing I've-forgotten-his-name-already lead to V's leaving the ship, which will lead to whatever it will lead to. We are still in there. Not saying it will, but it might.
    Verigated Opinionator of the Polls Fan Club
    To do a spoiler, surround it in spoiler tags like this:[spoiler]Darth Vadar is Skywalker's Father[/spoiler]. To show someone else how to do a spoiler, use noparse tags like this: [noparse][spoiler]Miko will stay Dead[/spoiler][/noparse]. To show someone else how to demonstrate spoiler tags, use multiple noparse tags like this [noparse][noparse][spoiler]Recursion is like recursion, only shorter[/spoiler][/noparse][/noparse]

7. - Top - End - #367

I too wish that the team would get back together soon. But perhaps it's a case of you can't go home again. We haven't heard from Haley for a long while. Perhaps that plot has just been written off? There are always some loose ends at the end of an adventure.
    We last saw Haley in 581. It hasn't even been 20 strips. I wouldn't call that a long time.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

8. - Top - End - #368

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kabbor View Post

I think the oracle, who delights in obscurity (like all oracles), would have no problem with the target's arguable non-existence.

Weak relationship? Remember - "Gift horse in mouth": Haley's rejecting her suspicion lead to here being in a situation that led to her saying something that lead to her getting her speech back. A weak relationship is what we are looking for.
    V's killing I've-forgotten-his-name-already lead to V's leaving the ship, which will lead to whatever it will lead to. We are still in there. Not saying it will, but it might.
    That theory reeks of the same reasoning that the oracle said even he didn't buy, regarding Belkar's prophecy. I imagine V's four words will be more directly related to his rise to power.
    Real wizards use staves

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

I just read (in one of the books) the Giant speculating that there would be 8 or 9 compilation books in total, not including extra books like the prequels, so I don't think we're anywhere near the end of the adventure. And I trust him to tie up loose ends. He's not going to leave us hanging like that (or at least, not forever).
    My player registry entry

I have played Magenta Silverleaf in Isle of Aspergillum - the best game that never was ... and Wissenell and Arkhi in The Hunt for YikYik the Sly

Currently playing Kvenil and Eui the owl in Rise of Darkness

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

You are repeating yourself, not addressing the argument.
    These are 4 words from the audience point of view. They are not 4 words from V's point of view, and the Oracle is addressing V, not us.

I think the oracle, who delights in obscurity (like all oracles),
    What obscurity? "His name is Xykon.", "He is in his throne room.", 2 additional prophecies that allowed Roy to find Xykon and leave him with the opinion the Oracle was highly useful, if asked the proper question, Belkar will cause death - yes, and it was so, says yes to Roy's question.
    Our Oracle has been quite direct. The only obscurity has been Roy's fault, and we are told right away about that.

would have no problem with the target's arguable non-existence.
    Nothing arguable about it. Kubota was dead, and reduced to a pile of dust, indistinguishable from dwarf, halfling, or dragon. He had nothing to hear with nor a way to understand the message. He wasn't there.

Which people spotted right away at the time, and all alternative theories were quickly abandoned. It was a clear relationship. This "4-words" is not.

The very saying "it might" about guarantees it won't. The upcoming conversation with the imp is a much better prospect.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

We are on the eve of a great occasion... #600.

I personally am in conflict: I want the comic to be up as soon as possible, yet I do not want Rich to compromise either on the plot or the detail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I predict that 600 will concentrate on V, and Quarr's attempts to sway him to evil. After the ramifications of this, we will see one or two panels devoted to each of the other elements of the broken stick.
    The downer is required, so we can start building up the party again.

And as for Quarr:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I predict that he will make his case to V, who will ponder giving in to the 'dark side', before disintegrating the imp.

Note that I do not say whether V will accept the imp's offer first... (heh heh)

Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."