New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Solitare D&D

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Lightbulb Solitare D&D

I'm also an occasional poster on the Wizards forum, and I found this lovely little article about playing D&D on your own. The formatting's a bit weird to copy-paste over here, so I won't quote the entire article here.
    I know there are probably others like me who can't find a group and can't wait out the sluggish PbP, so here's the linky: Dungeons and Dragons Solitare.

If you've got a account there, leave a comment!
    If you don't, but still love the article, make a comment on it here.

The poster of this wanted feedback as well, so if you see any areas for improvement, post it!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Solitare D&D

I don't really see a single thing in that whole write-up that isn't common sense. I mean, I don't think there's anything difficult enough about playing by yourself that you'd need an article about it.

Anyway, outside this guy's idea, there are several ways to play D&D by yourself. There's the obvious Neverwinter Nights games and other D&D-based videogames, and then less traditional methods. For instance, Kenzer & Company has a SoloQuest line of products, and then there's an old series (though I think there are new ones and re-prints) called Fighting Fantasy that's sort of like D&D with just you and a book. You might want to check those out, and see how you like them.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Whatever you do, I'd recommend against using the Deck of Many Things for your solitare game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Whatever you do, I'd recommend against using the Deck of Many Things for your solitare game.
    Damn, beat me to the punch.

Will look it up, since my gaming group does not want to play D&D ever since I explained Pun Pun...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Damn, beat me to the punch.

Will look it up, since my gaming group does not want to play D&D ever since I explained Pun Pun...
    you could always promise them that you won't play Pun-Pun.
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    you could always promise them that you won't play Pun-Pun.
    Heck, I promised them I would play characters made only from the PHB and they still said no. even when I said i'd play the bard they said bard are OP.

So yeah, Solitaire D&D is the game for me.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

D&D by your own, you say?

It's been done.

A lot.

Seriously.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Heck, I promised them I would play characters made only from the PHB and they still said no. even when I said i'd play the bard they said bard are OP.

So yeah, Solitaire D&D is the game for me.
    Our DMs just forbid Dragon Magazine.

Except for me.

I like a challenge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad I could help, Baylar! Players like you are why I posted this here, and probably why Shiftkitty wrote the little piece.

Tsotha, the problem with computer games is that you're focusing on a machine for hours, and depending on it to be creative and original. Like say, posting on forums.

Solitare D&D is much more free-form and allows you to play an entire party, unlike most computer games. (Never tried Baldur's Gate, so I wouldn't know about that.)

rtg0922 - I'm not renowned for my common sense. I'm also a much newer player than most on these forums, and I found the sections on combat and roleplaying solo helpful. Again, you're probably a veteran player, while 3rd is the oldest edition I can remember.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Tsotha, the problem with computer games is that you're focusing on a machine for hours, and depending on it to be creative and original. Like say, posting on forums.

Solitare D&D is much more free-form and allows you to play an entire party, unlike most computer games. (Never tried Baldur's Gate, so I wouldn't know about that.)
    Eh? Pretty much every single D&D computer game involves playing a party, and none of them require you to interact with yourself. (????)

I guess you didn't actually check out the links, though. GoLC is a D&D solo module, and hardly the only example.