New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fangled Gamers

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fangled Gamers

Alright, I've had it up to here with these [new] [old] 'gamers' who have these weird and [absurdly silly] [incredibly draconian] ideas about how fantasy is supposed to work. Goddamnit, pretending to be [burly men in loincloths and tentacled masses that are scary simply because the author informs you they are] [Ichigo, Goku and friends as we move faster than the speed of light yet do not accidentally destroy our home planet] is a lot more [sensible] [creative] than [My Little Pony versus Pokémon] [The Lord of the Rings Fanclub]. [Sigh, kids] [Ugh, grognards],

They're doing it wrong!

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fangled Gamers

Damn right!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, this still happens? I thought it was just that one guy at gaming club...
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    Wait, this still happens? I thought it was just that one guy at gaming club...
    I still see posts one way or the other on these forums. They bother me. [xkcd link here, you know the one.]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I blame Anime... with out it we would still only be drawing on novels... or mostly novels... maybe even myths and legends.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    I blame Anime... with out it we would still only be drawing on novels... or mostly novels... maybe even myths and legends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Pah! How can you [anime/mmorpg/mushforbrains kids] [old out of touch and slave to convention grognards] possibly think that [your own game should fit your own preferences]. Honestly you really should take a step back and realize that we [older and more experienced][younger and more creative] gamers know the TRUTH.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I blame the post literate nature of our society.

People just aren't drawn to the same fantasy sources any more.

Used to be just about everyone playing D&D had read Three Hearts Three Lions, but nowadays it's more likely that people have read Naruto or whatever the popular Manga is today.

The culture has changed.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

9. - Top - End - #9

Too true, AstralFire! I blame those other people who play the game. They don't do it like I do.
    Last edited by streakster; 2008-10-09 at 09:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

heh Which is funny because i tend to relate more to the "elder" gamers who came from 2ed 1ed hackmaster... yada yada... and I'm under 25.

though i do see a lot of the people who speak of, are also into Anime and the like..

I know personally i tend to lean more tword the "Draconic" side of things.

But you have to admit Anime did change a lot of things about fantasy.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Pah! How can you [anime/mmorpg/mushforbrains kids] [old out of touch and slave to convention grognards] possibly think that [your own game should fit your own preferences]. Honestly you really should take a step back and realize that we [older and more experienced][younger and more creative] gamers know the TRUTH.
    Bait, is there anywhere I can make an official nomination for you as "AstralFire's Hero in the Playground"?

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGuy

Since there is no such thing as bad books, or absurd myths. Don't blame a genre.
    Last edited by The New Bruceski; 2008-10-09 at 09:23 AM.
    Now with half the calories!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Bait, is there anywhere I can make an official nomination for you as "AstralFire's Hero in the Playground"?
    Heh. Not so far as I know. Thanks! I guess you could ask Roland...

Seriously though, don't ask Roland.

14. - Top - End - #14

But you have to admit Anime did change a lot of things about fantasy.
    It did. However, my own personal feelings on the matter have little to do with anime and more to do with 80's/90's action cartoons (as in, Western ones) and comic books.

Things change, period. I just get really tired of hearing people talk down about others who prefer something else. That is different from not liking what is preferred - I have a tendency to suppress a shudder when I see too many romanized Japanese words going around (much as I also do when I see too much TNA in a Skintight Latex Costume, or as I do when I see elves and dragons, period.) All that said, I do not, except for purposes of humor, start walking around screaming "HEY YOU NARUTO BOY SHUT UP" and "HEY YOU TWO HANDS ON THE KEYBOARD" and "YO ELVES ARE ANOREXIC AND SUCK AND SO DO LIZARDS". It's not productive, it just makes people unhappy.

Anime has been a bigger influence on me for modern fantasy than high/classic fantasy, by far.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-10-09 at 09:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know, I'll take this opportunity to mention why I hate stereotypes like these. I'm a young gamer - probably younger than most of ye. I love pulling ideas out of Celtic and Norse mythology and the novels of Lloyd Alexander, J.R.R. Tolkien and Raymond E. Fiest. I've never read Three Hearts, Three Lions but if I ever find a copy at the local library I'd probably pick it up.

I hate Magna/Anime with a passion. I'm intrigued by the drawing style but the stories and characters aren't really good enough for me to pick any up. I prefer Western Fantasy.

I hate both the gold and the purple. Is there no middle ground for those who have maturity beyond their years?

Oh, and that was funny, AstralFire. I just wanted to rant for a little bit.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

It did. However, my own personal feelings on the matter have little to do with anime and more to do with 80's/90's action cartoons (as in, Western ones) and comic books.

Things change, period. I just get really tired of hearing people talk down about others who prefer something else. That is different from not liking what is preferred - I have a tendency to suppress a shudder when I see too many romanized Japanese words going around (much as I also do when I see too much TNA in a Skintight Latex Costume, or as I do when I see elves and dragons, period.) All that said, I do not, except for purposes of humor, start walking around screaming "HEY YOU NARUTO BOY SHUT UP" and "HEY YOU TWO HANDS ON THE KEYBOARD" and "YO ELVES ARE ANOREXIC AND SUCK AND SO DO LIZARDS". It's not productive, it just makes people unhappy.

Anime has been a bigger influence on me for modern fantasy than high/classic fantasy, by far.
    I can understand that.

I think alot of it comes from miscommunication. when people refer to a fantasy element it has so many subcategory's of fantasy, I'm Glad that Rp settings can universaly(amongs the boards that is) fit into 2-3 categories, High fantasy and low fantasy, or mid fantasy.

I think its alot of frustration to old farts who still play the game and refer to fantasy and thing of old school gaming. (aka uninfluanced by anime).

I have to agree I pull a little from Comics ususaly when a play in a more modern setting, but as far as fantasy most of my influance comes from books and the ocasional movie... like dragon heart(i know it wa a ****ty movie), lord of the rings and what not, some times even star wars or dune.

It takes a generation to die off before you'll stop hereing about it, although by then you would be complaining about all these newfangled gamers...

Man i can't wait to be Crochety old gamer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

People. I have made a shocking and horrifying realization.

Different people like different things.

And as long as we're talking about anime, people die when they are killed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just so we're clear, I'm on AstralFire's side here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Since there is no such thing as bad books, or absurd myths. Don't blame a genre.
    No such thing as a bad book?

You're obviously very poorly read.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

In this thread: people who don't understand sarcasm.

Or Nerd-o-ramas who don't understand playing along with sarcasm, maybe.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-10-09 at 09:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I have never seen a thread so dense in posts where I genuinely can't tell if people are being jokingly obtuse or are genuinely missing the intent of fairly clear sarcasm.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Different people like different things.
    No they don't. They only think they do because they haven't tried it the RIGHT WAY yet. Everyone really loves MY way.
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2008-10-09 at 09:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    And as long as we're talking about anime, people die when they are killed.
    My life is a lie.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2008-10-09 at 09:52 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

No they don't. They only think they do because they haven't tried it the RIGHT WAY yet. Everyone really loves MY way.
    Yes, yes, Crazy Gamer Hivemind. If there's one thing the internet can agree on, it's that.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-10-09 at 09:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Priceless!

hamlet, you seriously have like +10 to save against sarcasm. (Which one is that, anyway? Wands or Petrification?)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I have never seen a thread so dense in posts where I genuinely can't tell if people are being jokingly obtuse or are genuinely missing the intent of fairly clear sarcasm.
    I think its a combination of the two.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I agree my way is the best. Simply because it's the "Shut up and play nice with each other or the tazer comes back!" way.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

One of my main problem with people complaining something is "too anime" is the fact that Anime covers *WAY* more than the typical Bleach/DBZ/Naruto Shonen Action series. Saying "I hate Anime- It's all about spikey-haired swordsmen having mid-air battles, or stuff involving Naughty tentacles." is like saying "I hate old novels because they're either overly gritty sword and sorcery Conan clones, or sappy romance novels with Heaving Bodices." Neither are true. They both cover way more than just those. They have Scifi, steampunk, romance, and even experimental series. Both have lowbrow and highbrow moments, and both have some really good stuff in them if you care to look. As an avid consumer of both, I say-

People should be more open minded.

Ack, talking like that hurt my throat. Gonna get a lozenge now... Mmm, Minty Lime!

Basically, my point is Anime and Manga are just Asian cartoons and comic books. Of course they use different methods and tropes, but generalizing either is just closing yourself off from potential opportunities.

Of course, I've always been annoyed in general over people complaining about different medias, especially New Media. (TVtropes has it listed under "New Media is Evil" or something.) So take that as you will.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    You don't internet much, do you?
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    One of my main problem with people complaining something is ["too anime"]["too typical"] is the fact that [Anime][Fantasy] covers *WAY* more than [the typical Bleach/DBZ/Naruto Shonen Action series][LoTR]. Saying ["I hate Anime- It's all about spikey-haired swordsmen having mid-air battles, or stuff involving Naughty tentacles."]["I hate old novels because they're either overly gritty sword and sorcery Conan clones, or sappy romance novels with Heaving Bodices."] is like saying ["I hate old novels because they're either overly gritty sword and sorcery Conan clones, or sappy romance novels with Heaving Bodices."]["I hate Anime- It's all about spikey-haired swordsmen having mid-air battles, or stuff involving Naughty tentacles."] Neither are true. They both cover way more than just those. They have Scifi, steampunk, romance, and even experimental series. Both have lowbrow and highbrow moments, and both have some really good stuff in them if you care to look. As an avid consumer of both, I say-

I totally agree

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    One of my main problem with people complaining something is "too anime" is the fact that Anime covers *WAY* more than the typical Bleach/DBZ/Naruto Shonen Action series. Saying "I hate Anime- It's all about spikey-haired swordsmen having mid-air battles, or stuff involving Naughty tentacles." is like saying "I hate old novels because they're either overly gritty sword and sorcery Conan clones, or sappy romance novels with Heaving Bodices." Neither are true. They both cover way more than just those. They have Scifi, steampunk, romance, and even experimental series. Both have lowbrow and highbrow moments, and both have some really good stuff in them if you care to look. As an avid consumer of both, I say-

Ack, talking like that hurt my throat. Gonna get a lozenge now... Mmm, Minty Lime!

Basically, my point is Anime and Manga are just Asian cartoons and comic books. Of course they use different methods and tropes, but generalizing either is just closing yourself off from potential opportunities.

Of course, I've always been annoyed in general over people complaining about different medias, especially New Media. (TVtropes has it listed under "New Media is Evil" or something.) So take that as you will.
    True to that there are some amazingly well done anime and to often people clump the good anime in with the bad...

But then again when we talk in these types of forums usualy people speak in generalities or sterotypes.. (kinda the majority rules thing) or at least thats how I do..and how I notice people do. I my opinion atleast 50% of anime is crap... especialy alot of the more Popular ones. Neruto(shiver), deathnote, bleach(another shiver), etc.
    Now there are exeptions to even that rule. Cowboy Bebop, Some would say Trigun, Ninja scrolls. are all popular and again in my opinion well done.

Then there are also things like Puny-Puny that jut make me cringe and i know alot of people have been turned off from anime because of that(not that specificaly but alot like it)...