New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Swashbuckler Prestige

Lo everyone, I'm making a swashbuckler for an upcoming campaign in 3.5, however I'm looking for prestige classes that match the flavour of the character. He's a courtier/diplomat/agent, as in he liaisons between empires, does a little espionage, that sorta thing. The dread pirate would be good if he fell out of the good graces of the king or whoever, as would the *something* of the Crimson Road, however they don't quite fit. Suggestions?
    Gibbo

Read about the Lady of the Night and her daring and worldly crew searching for Ilos and the cultists trying to bring him back. The cultist's now defeated the heros retire until the next catastrophe.

Gremshak - Bounty hunter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Swashbuckler Prestige

Take a few levels of rogue, and go with daring outlaw feat from complete scoundrel. Why bother with PrCs :P

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spymaster from Complete Adventurer or Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel, maybe?
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Go deulist. That can be very fun as a swashbuckler. Also, there is a prestige or two in Oriental Adventures that fits the exact thing you are ooking for... but it might need a bit of westernization.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the easier ways to be a 'good' swashbuckler: 3 levels in rogue to qualify for Daring Outlaw (as previously mentioned), 4 levels in Fighter to qualify for Daring Warrior. So, from then on, Swashbuckle your way up the ranks. You'll be swashbuckling with your bits there, as well as getting sneak attack, and all those fighter feats! Winwinwin, eh?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with the Daring Outlaw/Daring Warrior suggestions. I think it would be much cooler to gain Sneak Attack and bonus feats than going with prestige classes.

However, if you really want a prestige class that has the "secret agent" fluff, I'd suggest the Dark Lantern from Eberron (Five Nations). If your DM's willing, he'd probably let you refluff it to fit the setting you're playing in.

It grants Sneak Attack progression, grants bonuses to the espionage-related skills (Diplomacy, Gather Info, Bluff, Sense Motive, etc). Not particularly powerful, but its requirements are pretty low.

Duelist is good too, though IMO it doesn't get really strong until you get Elaborate Parry.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

With Daring Warrior you only get to qualify for fighter feats, you don't get any bonus feats, so it's really not worth it. Daring Outlaw on the other hand is awsome.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

If Warblade's out, Daring Outlaw is probably your best bet.

If Warblade is an option, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart and White Raven Maneuvers are all appropriate for Swashbuckler-types. Diamond Mind's Concentration check-based fighting on top of the built-in Intelligence synergy makes for a fittingly "skilled"--rather than "strong"--fighting style.

If you go for the Daring Outlaw route, Two-Weapon Fighting is a good bet. It lets you get the most applications of Sneak Attack damage per round. Staggering Strike from Complete Adventurer is priceless--it restricts sneak attack victims to one action per round; definitely a winner if you don't want monsters full attacking you in the face. If your DM allows you to advance the Swashbuckler's PHB2 alternate class feature with Daring Outlaw instead of Dodge, it's a winner for Two-Weapon Fighters.

If you're boosting Charisma and Charisma skills, the Combat Panache tactical feat from the PHB2 gives some nice benefits.

As far as Prestige Classes are concerned, the Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack is the first to come to mind. It can be nice if you're into stacking fear effects. Its main downside is its weak sneak attack progression,

Don't go Duelist, no matter how fitting it may seem. That class is a joke: yes you have an incredible AC, but there's nothing you can do with it--you're not a threat to enemies (you have no damage source) and you still have crummy saving throws.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Ifyou don't mind homebrew stuff, this could be close to what you want.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's your race, level, and stats? What books are allowed?