New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default ECL on an Awakened Dire Wolf

Hi All,

I've decided I wanted to try something new in one of my campaigns.

So I've decided to see what the ECL of an Awakened Dire Wolf would be.

And then I have to decide what class I want to be.

I figure the LA is at least +1.

Please use the basic DW stats for now if you are offering Class advice.

Thank you,
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2008-10-13 at 09:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: ECL on an Awakened Dire Wolf

A Dire Wolf has 6 HD. Awaken adds 2. So you're looking at ECL 8 minimum, maybe higher if your DM adds a LA, too. I'd go Dire Wolf 8/Barb 1/Fighter 1/Warblade X. Take Improved Trip, Extra Rage, and a Necklace of Natural Weapons, and focus on hitting an enemy with a Bite+Maneuver for high damage, free trip at +8 before mods, then hitting them with a free attack when you succeed, they stand, and you get an AoO.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

That's um..

that's...

*cough*

Excuse me.

That's BEAUTIFUL!

and in the case for this, X = 12.

nice...
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2008-10-13 at 09:51 AM.
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

No LA is given for awakened animals. The animal HD (about the worst racial HD type in the game) is usually considered more than enough penalty by itself.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Why not skip Dire Wolf and just play a Worg? They don't need to be awakened, and they HAVE a listed LA.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Why not skip Dire Wolf and just play a Worg? They don't need to be awakened, and they HAVE a listed LA.
    For one really good (story-wise) reason.

In this campaign, we are all playing ourselves.

Everyone in my group of friends identifies with a specific totem animal. For me, it's (surprise, surprise) the Wolf.

It is generally accepted amongst the others that I would be a Dire Wolf if I could be any animal in RPGs. Although, maybe I'll try for Winter Wolf...

This character would be a backup for if the main me dies, and I'd have him spring from my chest/blood after I drop, (sans memories.) It's more for the cool factor than anything else.

and with the pathetic amount of wealth in this campaign, I don't really need to carry around money.

I will probably try to get a mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness). just for the funny.