New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Most Embarrassing Thing You're Willing To Admit To Doing In A Session

Exactly what it says on the tin.

My one: My Horizon Tripper fighter character was on a ship we'd just captured, fighting another ship full of orcs. I couldn't quite reach them with my guisarme, so I drank a Potion of Enlarge Person.

For some reason, I decided that as I enlarged, it would be a really good idea to hold my sword to the sky and shout "By the Power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWERRRRR!" . . . and acting it out at the table.

I got some pretty funny reactions from the other 20 people in the room.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Most Embarrassing Thing You're Willing To Admit To Doing In A Session

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    For some reason, I decided that as I enlarged, it would be a really good idea to hold my sword to the sky and shout "By the Power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWERRRRR!" . . . and acting it out at the table.
    Last meet I was at, for some reason we had a mage who KEPT DOING THAT ALL FRIGGEN MEET LONG. The first time it was amusing, but the other twenty times? Not so much.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Most Embarrassing Thing You're Willing To Admit To Doing In A Session

I joined a Cyberpunks campaign over Skype's voice-chat before coming to college. However, my dorm room's internet connection sucks. So I have to use the comp lab. I sit in a computer lab every Friday night surrounded by my classmates and say things like "Get the .50 cal and SHOOT THAT **** KID! Shoot the KID! We can't let him report us!" And "Fine, we'll steal the drugs, but I want some of the morphine, in addition to my commission. You don't want to know where I've got skin grafts, just know that it **** hurts".
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    I joined a Cyberpunks campaign over Skype's voice-chat before coming to college. However, my dorm room's internet connection sucks. So I have to use the comp lab. I sit in a computer lab every Friday night surrounded by my classmates and say things like "Get the .50 cal and SHOOT THAT **** KID! Shoot the KID! We can't let him report us!" And "Fine, we'll steal the drugs, but I want some of the morphine, in addition to my commission. You don't want to know where I've got skin grafts, just know that it **** hurts".

Wow.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

...the DM's girlfriend. Ba-dum pish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

In a 4e session, I actually argued for 15 to 30 minutes (it was late, I can't remember which) that it was unreasonable that a fireball that hit it, and all adjacent (including diagonal) squares with fire damage would hit somebody who had hid but not moved.

Yup. In the end, I succeeded in getting the group to concede (this was PvP with no DM, just so you know) that the bushes he was hiding behind would not be burned because the wizard wanted to make sure he would hit, even if the hider had moved a bit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't personally have any embarassing things about myself, however I do have one about one of the other pcs of one game.

He decided he was going to use one of those paper fortune tellers (the kidn you mide in elementary school and what not) to tell him what to do in combat. So his turn comes up and he uses the paper fortune teller. He takes his avatar, moves it up to one of the enemy, and declare his action: he strips.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally? I picked BOTH of my nostrils at the SAME time, while describing a battle scene. My friends never let me forget that. But then again, we all were pretty crazy back then.

In-character, I guess was turning my lawful neutral wizard into a chaotic neutral wizard/blood magus, and yelling out all my attack spells (including his favourite formula: fireball + barrels and barrels of powder), just to to show them I could be as chaotic as I can play lawful paladins. They still consider it one of my best roleplays.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not really on purpose, but one session my character (rouge, my first time ever playing one so I didn't have it down) and the party sorcerer were at the bottom stair in a hallway on an airship, with one of the bad-guy-bandits at the base. It took us 8 rounds to kill him. Every round I attacked him, and the sorcerer attacked, with some grease spells to keep him off balance every couple of turns. The rest of the party had mopped up the rest of the bandits by round 3 (it was supposed to be a combat that introduced everyone to their characters). Not us.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    ...the DM's girlfriend. Ba-dum pish.
    During a session? wow (unless you weren't actually involved in the session, that would be a little less impressive I suppose :p)

I do embarrassing stuff all the time, but it all blends together so much that I don't even remember specifics before. Usually if I do something bad it just turns into a character trait (such as forgetting that we were fugitives and declaring my name to the first person who asked. It became that character's catch phrase, and I do my best to have him say it at least once a session. "I'm Claaus O'Neal!")
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-10-11 at 06:53 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I just remembered something I did.

It was my very first D&D game, 2nd ed. We were supposed to raid & destroy the food stores (which were in one building). We beat the guards and went in.

Out of game, I had to use the bathroom. I declared to the dm that what I was about to do was entirely in-game. I described my actions as I walked to the W.C. "I walk over to a pile of food, whip it out, and..." and then there's that all too familiar sound of water hitting water, if you catch my drift.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Two incidents, the first was just luck of the draw. Or roll.

My Sorceror failed to beat spell resistance of a target, four times, each time by 1 point on the roll.

The second was as a DM. I classically linked the death of the boss of the area, a General in this case, to the destruction of the dungeon. Two problems stemmed from this. First, the 'dungeon' was an airship. So naturally, killing the boss destroyed the ship by releasing the fire elementals bound to keep it's boilers running and keep it in the air. Second, we were currently over a lake of lava. Naturally the ship starts falling one round later, so the PC's rush for the exit. One round before reaching it, the ship hits the Lava. This instantly ignites the Hydrogen balloons keeping the ship from plummetting instantly. Roll 4d10 for damage a piece. Not a single survivor. Not even the Half-dragon, half-orc barbarian with his +6 to constitution amulet.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I once had a character who was gifted gifted with the ability to turn anything to stone.

He was surprise attacked while taking a bath with the tavern master's daughter. Not having a weapon, he turned his erection into stone and enlarged it. He then proceeded to beat his adversary to death with his "Club of Shrooming"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

A friend told me we were playing a super high powered L15 game and that I should make my character with the notion that were were equivalent to super heroes (both in power and fame) in this world. I proceeded to exclaim "Sounds fun, I think I'll make a Bard." I don't think it was embarrassing or funny or dumb, but they all did. But not for long.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    A friend told me we were playing a super high powered L15 game and that I should make my character with the notion that were were equivalent to super heroes (both in power and fame) in this world. I proceeded to exclaim "Sounds fun, I think I'll make a Bard." I don't think it was embarrassing or funny or dumb, but they all did. But not for long.
    Bard power! *fist*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

People who say bards are weak have never seen them done well.
    Music as a Swift Action(from PrCs), Inspire Courage(Dragonfire), Snowflake Wardance first round, Inspire Greatness in yourself second round, Inspire Courage third round. The enemy will run in fear, and the party will be questioning whether or not they should, too.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

17. - Top - End - #17

And people who say bards can't be cool haven't seen them done well either. (...And you don't have to make them into "Power Metal Rockers" or whatever the latest trend is these days.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Failing to quote Monty Python at least once during the gaming session.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

I fell asleep. And I was the DM.

The sad part? I'm not sure anyone else noticed. That was an interesting session.
    Excellent avatar courtesy of Evil_Pacifist.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackDog View Post
    I fell asleep. And I was the DM.

The sad part? I'm not sure anyone else noticed. That was an interesting session.
    That sounds like the either the best or the worst session ever.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Music as a Swift Action(from PrCs),
    I am blanking hard. What PrC gives Swift Action music? The only thing that comes to mind is Song of the White Raven that requires (*grumble*) ToB stuff.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    I am blanking hard. What PrC gives Swift Action music? The only thing that comes to mind is Song of the White Raven that requires (*grumble*) ToB stuff.
    Dang, I thought War Chanter did it, but it only lets you activate 2 at once. So drop the Inspire Greatness. First Round:Inspire Courage+Dragonfire Inspiration. Second Round:Snowflake Wardance, charge.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Uh... I had my thri-kreen barbarian frenzied berserker smash through a wall once chasing some assassins that attacked him at the inn. He smashed through the wall, to find another PC... *ahem* enjoying the company of a tavern wench. My character looked down (thri-kreen, remember), and said "You are doing it wrong." and charged through another wall after the assassins. The other PC was embarrased that an 8-foot tall insect corrected him on technique.

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    That sounds like the either the best or the worst session ever.
    My nap only lasted for 15 or 20 minutes, and didn't actually impact play at all.

It was a Eberron campaign, set primarily in Sharn, and the PCs had just finished some sort of task (can't remember what), and had been notified by their employer that they would be traveling to Xen'drik. They were paid at the same time, and decided to go shopping. The party consisted of a Warforged Warblade, Human Ranger, Human Favored Soul, and Human Fighter.

The shopping trip devolved into an argument, first in-character, and then out-of-character, between the Favored Soul and the Fighter concerning equipment. The ranger was called away from the table in real life, and the warblade was absorbed in a book.

The night before, I had only slept for about 4.5 hours, and I put my head down on a pile of books.
    I woke up a bit later to hear the fighter say to the favored soul, "Well, if you're not going to help buy the Bag of Holding, then we'll use YOU to detect traps! We'll push you onto anything that looks dangerous!"

I put my head back down, and by the time I woke up again, they had decided what to buy. I'm still not sure whether they knew I fell asleep.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackDog View Post
    My nap only lasted for 15 or 20 minutes, and didn't actually impact play at all.

It was a Eberron campaign, set primarily in Sharn, and the PCs had just finished some sort of task (can't remember what), and had been notified by their employer that they would be traveling to Xen'drik. They were paid at the same time, and decided to go shopping. The party consisted of a Warforged Warblade, Human Ranger, Human Favored Soul, and Human Fighter.

The shopping trip devolved into an argument, first in-character, and then out-of-character, between the Favored Soul and the Fighter concerning equipment. The ranger was called away from the table in real life, and the warblade was absorbed in a book.

The night before, I had only slept for about 4.5 hours, and I put my head down on a pile of books.
    I woke up a bit later to hear the fighter say to the favored soul, "Well, if you're not going to help buy the Bag of Holding, then we'll use YOU to detect traps! We'll push you onto anything that looks dangerous!"

I put my head back down, and by the time I woke up again, they had decided what to buy. I'm still not sure whether they knew I fell asleep.
    How did they detect traps after that? ^.^

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I made up, and sung, a halfling drinking song on the spot quite loudly to show my characters protest about being locked in a small iron box. Did I mention this was in public?
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasnt as embarassing to me but it was to the others in my group. I was particularly bored that day and my friend's mom had laid out a bowl of leftover halloween candy instead of chips so I was also hopped up on sugar. I spennt the time that wasnt my turn in combat by pelvic thrusting at everybody and everything. at least 10 times at the DM, 15 times at the fridge, 30 times at my friend's sister (who laughed the first couple of times) and about 80 other thrusts at random objects including the kitchen sink.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessLord View Post
    How did they detect traps after that? ^.^
    They basically did what the fighter threatened, but used everyone in the party, alternating. It wasn't particularly efficient, but was VERY entertaining.

"Okay, there's a long stone hallway with no distinctive features. The last one like this had pit traps. Good luck."

It wasn't the most serious campaign. If I remember correctly, the warforged took up taxidermy, and stored a stuffed squirrel collection in his chest. He and the fighter also learned morse code for the sole purpose of communicating through walls. It was used a surprising amount.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueWizardGirl

Let's see, I've played D&D with Lego miniatures in a South Georgia Dairy Queen. That'll get you stared at.

As for in-game embarrassment, my sorcerer failed to recover spells once because he spent the whole night staring stunned at the beautiful nymph who had seduced him at a party. The party's fighter had to grapple him and physically drag him away to get him out of there.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Made out with another guy (light petting, snuggling, etc.). Our characters were intimate (my chick, his dude), so we tweaked the other players.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.