New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Putting the players in their characters' shoes

At one point or another, I've tried all the standard methods for getting my players into the game. Signals for in-character/out-of-character speech, voices and accents, props, music, lighting, even the stupid DMG trick of making invisible characters sit under the table. None of it ever really stuck - I guess my groups just aren't "serious" enough. Which is fine, we still have fun. But last session, I had an idea that turned it all around.

The party was fighting a bleakborn (from the Libris Mortis, if you're unfamiliar with them - they're basically frost zombies that feed off of body heat, sucking it and any other heat out of everything nearby) outside of a quarry they were trying to explore. The party is fairly melee-focused, except for the warlock, who had already left for the night. So most of them were pretty close to this thing, and they were feeling the hurt from its heat-draining aura.

Then I had an idea.

"To give you a good sense of what your characters are feeling right now," I said, getting up out of my chair, "we're going to do a little simulation exercise."

I went to the freezer. "Anyone who is currently within 30 feet of the bleakborn... put an ice cube down your pants."

They did it, eventually, though I had to offer them a little bonus XP. And suddenly, the battle changed. It was no longer "Dang, another six points of cold damage," it was "Holy ****, get me away from that thing!"

As a DM, this was the best idea I've ever had.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Putting the players in their characters' shoes

lol, wow. Thats a cool trick. Good for you ;)
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Next you can take a blowtorch to them when a Red Dragon burninates them.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so, when they fight fire elemental, get an iron rod, and stick it into the fire...
    Edit: Darn, ninja'd.

I'm kidding, but that's hilarious, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by DarknessLord; 2008-10-12 at 02:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel for you. May a-time I've wanted to swing a sword at one of my players heads to get them to stop taking an hour and a half of a 3-hour session to plan out every round of a combat after it's already started.

"You wanna plan during a fight? Fine, plan whilst dodging this - cause that's what your character's experiencing right now!"

This goes double when they do this as PCs with double-digit levels against CR 1 (or lower) creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah, you gotta love method acting...I try to play campaigns in an environment similar to where they're playing. Especially in creepy outdoor places, or in dark, spooky rooms. It's very fun.