Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Small party issue

I just started DMing a group for two of my friends, and we started a campaign designed for 4 level 7 characters. Since there's only two of them, I figured the quickest way to balance it back out was to let them play gestalt characters. I expected it to be a bit hard for them still, since they're weaker than 4 characters, but that they'd be able to manage with some intelligent strategy. To my surprise, they've been plowing through the encounters with almost no difficulty whatsoever. They're playing a Warblade/Fighter and a Cleric (non-zilla)/Rogue, so I didn't anticipate any sort of cheesy combinations. Did I miss something, or is it a poorly designed campaign?
    Last edited by monty; 2008-10-17 at 06:43 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Small party issue

I don't see a major problem here. Warblades are always solid, especially with Fighter feats beside them, and Cleric/Rogue is an excellent combination. They both seem to have made good characters, so let them have their fun. If they think it's too easy, double the hp (and add 4 to the saves) of all the enemies.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, it does depend on how the enemies are being played. Can you give us some examples of how the combats go? What are the races played? How were stats determined?

There is also the chance that they are plowing through encounters that were designed mostly to soak up resources and with the gestalt combos they have the only thing they really have to expend is a few cleric spells.
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2008-10-17 at 06:52 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Well, it does depend on how the enemies are being played. Can you give us some examples of how the combats go? What are the races played? How were stats determined?

There is also the chance that they are plowing through encounters that were designed mostly to soak up resources and with the gestalt combos they have the only thing they really have to expend is a few cleric spells.
    For example, they went up against a pair of shifter rogue/rangers (CR 8 encounter) and wiped them out. First round, the warblade won initiative, charged, and dropped one of them. The cleric hit the second with Hold Person, and the warblade coup de graced him in the next round.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    For example, they went up against a pair of shifter rogue/rangers (CR 8 encounter) and wiped them out. First round, the warblade won initiative, charged, and dropped one of them. The cleric hit the second with Hold Person, and the warblade coup de graced him in the next round.
    Good luck, good tactics, good teamwork. No reason that shouldn't have been a dramatic win.

Any other examples?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow, that actually sounds like an incredibly interesting game! Are you guys having fun? A cleric/rogue sounds like a really interesting combination!
    I'd go with what the others suggest and just make the encounters harder as needed. In small increments at first. That one battle may have been a bit of a fluke.