Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default OK i want to try a new system

OK, for my birthday i got 75$ for Barnes and Noble. Now i only buy myself RPG books when i have a chance like this because i need to save my actual cash, so this is a big thing for me. However, i've bought most of the Main stream 3E books, and i feel like trying something new. So i want to buy a few intro books to new systems. For example in my cart if have teh 2E exalted main book. I want to know what other good system are out there, because i have limited money and an interest in new system so i figured i'd ask the people here

I'm thinking of the World of Darkness books, but i don't know what would be a good intro for either the old or the new

I would also be interested in any good third party 3E books.

So just let me know what kind of RPGs you'd recommend. Please go into some detail about the game itself.
    Thanks
    from
    EE

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: OK i want to try a new system

bump, i just want some general recommendations for Table top games
    from
    EE

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

New World of Darkness is great--very straightforward, simple mechanics. It's a very solid system. The fluff from Old World of Darkness is better in my opinion, but the system is worse. Stay away from GURPS unless you love some rules--and it's my impression you don't. If you want a d20 variant, Etherscope is pretty awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    New World of Darkness is great--very straightforward, simple mechanics. It's a very solid system. The fluff from Old World of Darkness is better in my opinion, but the system is worse. Stay away from GURPS unless you love some rules--and it's my impression you don't. If you want a d20 variant, Etherscope is pretty awesome.
    1) i have friends who play GURPS, so i'm not interested in that, except maybe some of hte source books which i heard are great
    2) Does OWoD have a intro book by any change, i know the new one does
    3) What is ethescope?
    4) are there any very good specifics books from any game that have great fluff/background?
    from
    EE

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It really depends on what you want. NWoD is fairly good. Scion isn't to bad, but it reminds me of exalted.]

If you don't mind whipping out a calculator, Hero System is fairly decent.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Krrth View Post
    It really depends on what you want. NWoD is fairly good. Scion isn't to bad, but it reminds me of exalted.]

If you don't mind whipping out a calculator, Hero System is fairly decent.
    Not Hero, i don't like math

Can you tell me waht Scion is, remember i don't know the details of most of these

And what is EarthDawn, does anybody know?
    from
    EE

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

OWod does not have a core book the same way that NWoD does, which is one of it's downfalls.

Etherscope is what happens if you took Orwell's 1984, added V For Vendetta, and made it steampunk.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Damn, so what would be a good starting book for OWoD

Meh, i might check it out, but i want my limited money to count and i don't often play steam punk thanks through

I looked at this list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...games_by_genre
    but they don't give very many details about the games sadly
    from
    EE

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    Damn, so what would be a good starting book for OWoD

Meh, i might check it out, but i want my limited money to count and i don't often play steam punk thanks through

I looked at this list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...games_by_genre
    but they don't give very many details about the games sadly
    from
    EE
    I WOULD suggest starting with Old world of Darkness personally (Is my favorite system.) Mage is a bit complicated, but if you happen to like thme better than Vampire the Masqurade, or werewolf the Forsaken, or Changeling I would suggest going with that one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The Core 3 (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage) are enough to run pretty much anything you can think of in oWoD, though the subdivision books expand greatly upon the base, and the extras (Wraith, Hunter, Mummy...) can be a lot of fun.

nWoD can be run off of one book (two, if you want some starter villains), if you don't mind playing mortals vs. zombies or running a Call of Cthulhu-esque game. The neat thing is that the advanced races (vampires, werewolves, et al) are essentially templates put onto a human base. The only issue I have with it is that there are very, very few prestatted monsters and/or denizens of the night--the majority of them are expected to be created from scratch by the ST.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Hero, i don't like math

Can you tell me waht Scion is, remember i don't know the details of most of these

And what is EarthDawn, does anybody know?
    from
    EE
    Scion has three books...Hero, Demi-God, and God.

You play the Child of a God fighting against the forces of destruction. As you get more powerful, the later books come into play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

hmmmmm, thats interesting, through i don't know if i can afford all that.

With Scion, can you go into detail if it isn't too much trouble? I just want to know more about the game in general
    from
    EE

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

hmmmmm, thats interesting, through i don't know if i can afford all that.

With Scion, can you go into detail if it isn't too much trouble? I just want to know more about the game in general
    from
    EE
    Well, what did you want to know? It's uses the same system as other WW games. You only need the first book. The others were released, but are not necessary for game play.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

You can try Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition. Its much less math heavy than HERO, but still allows very open ended character creation. I personally prefer it to all other game systems, and there are books in the works to support fantasy game play in addition to its assumed superheroes.

Its great, you can do super spies, superheroes, normals, anything really. It is an effects based system so the description you give to an ability is as important as the way you resolve that abilities mechanics. For example fireballs, Cyclops' optic blasts, magic missile and a thrown rock all use the same "Blast" (ranged damage) with different descriptions and modifiers.

I'd recommend the core rules, and Ultimate Power (a book dedicated to building powers, basically an expansion of the core rules fifth chapter).
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2008-10-17 at 08:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Krrth View Post
    Well, what did you want to know? It's uses the same system as other WW games. You only need the first book. The others were released, but are not necessary for game play.
    What is the content? I like games with background and detail

I know M&M, but i'm not going to buy it because i can play it at a friends, but it is a great super hero system

Does anybody know what in nomine is?
    form
    EE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

How about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? Familiar and different at the same time with a very cool setting and not all that much on the math part of the rules front.

Other options include Savage Worlds (a light system for fastpaced gameplay with no specific setting), Shadow Run (quite a detailed system, you probably already know about the setting), Conan D20 (okay it's D20, but it's rather good), Traveller (I am told the most recent version is not the best version, but I understand that it involves significantly less math), and Ars Magica (given that you are looking at WoD, you should probably look at this as an alternative).

Of course, there are many more options (and I have here mainly gone with games that strike me as reasonably different from D&D), but it depends what you want from a new system.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

what i want is

1) Fantasy, in the traditional sense. Preferable in its own world with a more medevil level of tech but that isn't an absolute
    2) cool back ground, interesting content, good world and niffty in depth design.
    3) I don't mind if it is D20, but i want to be at least unique in its system,
    4) A niffty over arching theme
    5) Detail
    from
    EE

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm AFB right now, but I'll tell you what I remember.

Scion is modern day. It has fantasy elements. One of the intriguing ones is that reality tries to fit your use of powers in a classic archetype....such as lover, traitor, sidekick, and so forth. Humans around you can get shoved into that role, willing or not.

Your powers are based on your parent's portfolio. You spend points in these portfolios to get abilities.

In Nomine is a game about the war between Heaven and Hell. You play an angel or a demon, and depending on your actions you can switch allegiances.

You can gain power by tying yourself to an aspect of creation. Anything from water, to death, to baseball. It doesn't matter. However, if the aspect you embody is destroyed....so are you. There can be only one angel and one demon of any given aspect, although sub-aspects are allowed. (Demon of Death is served by the demon of murder, who is served by the demon of explosives, who is served by the demon of suspiciously short fuses....)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

IN nomine sounds really cool, i'm into that pseudo religionous stuff, what is a good starting book?
    from
    EE

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Take a look at Tri-Stat - the core book's free.

And WFRP sounds somewhat like what you're looking for.
    HOW IS BABBY FORMED

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

what i want is

1) Fantasy, in the traditional sense. Preferable in its own world with a more medevil level of tech but that isn't an absolute
    2) cool back ground, interesting content, good world and niffty in depth design.
    3) I don't mind if it is D20, but i want to be at least unique in its system,
    4) A niffty over arching theme
    5) Detail
    Sounds like you might enjoy Ars Magica; rather than me ramble on about it, though, you can just go and download a free pdf of the fourth edition and see for yourself: Ars Magica.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

IN nomine sounds really cool, i'm into that pseudo religionous stuff, what is a good starting book?
    from
    EE
    I've only played it a little, but I enjoyed it. Fair warning, it is modern day. Here's a link to the homepage, it has a list of all the books.

Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_In_Nomine

Main Site http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Well I'm not sure exactly what type you would like, but I came across a random, kinda strange tidbit on the net while surfing a similar topic. It seems like a dark and gritty setting, with some strange extra stuff. It's located here:

http://www.donatebytes.com/fatal.pdf

It seems that they included similar stuff like the BoVD and the BoEF, but I'm sure you can skip that stuff if you don't like it. There was another I heard about for higher powered games called SenZar, but I've not found it free anywhere and do not have extra cash to spend on that right now.
    I like turtles!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterPaladin View Post
    Well I'm not sure exactly what type you would like, but I came across a random, kinda strange tidbit on the net while surfing a similar topic. It seems like a dark and gritty setting, with some strange extra stuff. It's located here:

FATAL

It seems that they included similar stuff like the BoVD and the BoEF, but I'm sure you can skip that stuff if you don't like it. There was another I heard about for higher powered games called SenZar, but I've not found it free anywhere and do not have extra cash to spend on that right now.
    *Head Desk*
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-10-17 at 09:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm sorry, I haven't read all of it or anything, just a quick skim. Did I miss something? Oh god, it's not like Pokethulhu or something is it? I hate Pokemon
    I like turtles!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

FATAL is often regarded as the worst RPG of all time. It is occasionally referred to as the 'Date-Rape RPG.'

If you haven't seen what's wrong with it, you probably haven't read it closely enough.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

A Warhammer Homebrewing Forum: Hammer & Anvil

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, I haven't read all of it or anything, just a quick skim. Did I miss something? Oh god, it's not like Pokethulhu or something is it? I hate Pokemon
    ....all I can say is...roll for Anal Circumference.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, heh. No, it's just unfortunate that you have come across it in all innocence.

I think Swordguy has played it successfully, but it is widely known as one of the worst roleplaying games ever created, which is to say nothing of its rather lurid content. There are a series of reviews and rebuttals out there somewhere, but perhaps it is sufficient to say that FATAL is synonymous with the worst kind of purile pseudo intellectual game design.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-10-17 at 09:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.donatebytes.com/fatal.pdf

Wait...are you serious? Do you realize what that...that....blasphemy is?!

To the OP:
    I would personally suggest NWoD. I really like the system and the fluff is great, its really up to personal preference whether you like the OWoD or NWoD fluff, but most will agree that both are very good. I personally like Hunter: The Vigil best in the series, but Werewolf comes a close second and I use Vampire mostly for enemies and NPCs.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Ok, what books would be best (i know very little of the details about the setting)

And FATAL? Oh gods, oh gods oh gods oh gods
    from
    EE