New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: General Anime Discussion StrikerS

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Key word being probably. I take it as a different continuity. May be wrong, may be right, either way...Yeah. I'd say it's not just because of the difference in Shinji in both. One he's doing god knows what, sorting out his mind, the other he's being his normal self and refusing to save the world, or, something...
    I took the episodes as what was going on in his head during the first and second halves of the movie respectively, and the movie as what was going on out in the world. But then, I just really didn't like the episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, for a long time I went with the most optimistic ending (Shinji denies Instrumentality, those who don't wish for it will be able to reconstitute themselves and some remnant of humanity will live on). But having watched the series and movies a few times since, I've come to the conclusion that those who didn't desire--or felt themselves unworthy--of Instrumentality simply died. That's why I think the long-haired technician, Shigeru, didn't have a peaceful union with some loved one--he was the always the cynic, so his spirit wasn't open, so the whatever-it-was simply killed him. Even though it happened before Third Impact was triggered, I also think this is why Yui came alive and tore Gendou to pieces--after everything he'd done, he didn't believe he was worthy of reuniting with her.

Of course, ultimately nothing is outright said. IMO the way you view the ending says more about you than the story, and I guess I've become more cynical since I first watched it. I don't see anything heroic in Shinji's final decision anymore, it was born out of self-loathing and fear (of transcending his isolation).

I'm glad the Composite Girl theory has been put to bed, though. I never really liked it.
    Eh. Call me an optimist, then, but I'll go with the interpretation that doesn't render the entire series pointless, even from a "main character's personal emotional growth" viewpoint.

Agreed, although I think the artist who designed the mecha and angels should get some credit for brilliant work...
    Yeah, Sadamoto is pretty brilliant. Also ****ing slow on the official manga, considering he already had the whole plot written out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Does anyone else think turning everyone into Jello and remaking the world was kinda... lame?
    It was done in hilariously disturbing enough fashion that I give it a pass. Really, the first half of EoE was much better than the second half.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 12:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    It was done in hilariously disturbing enough fashion that I give it a pass. Really, the first half of EoE was much better than the second half.
    I'm just glad they did Jello instead of throwing in a few more religious references and flying through more giant eyes.

If Shinji had to challenge a great evil to a children's card game it would've been infinitely better though.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-11-26 at 12:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

If Shinji had to challenge a great evil to a children's card game it would've been infinitely better though.
    I think we came to this conclusion about everything a few pages ago.

Also, someone apparently took LittleKuriboh's mockery seriously and made a Neon Genesis Evangelion the Abridged Series. That's all well and good, but if I made one of those, it'd be cut down to just the fight scenes and Misato fanservice.

Oh wait, that's what Rebuild is.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anyone else think turning everyone into Jello and remaking the world was kinda... lame?
    We mankind should follow the example of the dweomer/dwarves of Elder Scroll lore and merge everyone into ONE HUGE SUPER ROBOT instead of lame jell-o.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe they could've made the Jello thing deeper and more philosophical. Perhaps Shinji could envision a large man with a spoon ready to eat the Jello representing the inherent cynicism and self-loathing of mankind. The Jello could be placed in a large bowl representing that Shinji like a bowl ultimately held the fate of the Jellow people in his hands and they could be safely contained within the bowl or it could be used to offer them up to the man.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Isn't that pretty much what they did? Only with no bowl and Giant Naked Rei as the large, hungry man?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know since it's been years since I last saw it. I just thought the animators liked guro and wanted a mech to fly through a giant eye.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well that too. Layers, man. Layers.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 12:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want whatever Anno was smoking to be legal over here, really.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

There should be a what if version of Evangelion where everything is shown from the Angels perspective and the Angels take on the characteristics of the protagonists reversing the roles so we can have giant aliens panicking about being invaded by humans and needing to confront their fathers. Have the angels going to school to and never learning anything of importance just like the original cast. Then they could have Lucky Star level conversations about Balsamic Vinegar and pastries.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-11-26 at 01:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Honestly, we just need to stop having so damn many Evangelion spinoffs. Especially when several of them are better than the original.

I do have to wonder if the Angels hang out together before they pop into existence over Japan or the Pacific, though...
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 01:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Giant Naked Rei as the large, hungry man?
    ... damnit, Nerdo. I'm going to be having nightmares about that idea. Or conceiving of some truly awful fan-fiction, if those aren't the same thing.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't follow this thread. Evidently I need more training.
    Skydiving as an activity does not in itself require a parachute.
    Skydiving as a hobby does.

People who take drugs are bad.
    Blasted customs agents.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I wouldn't bother.

So I started watching Gundam 00 instead of sleeping.

Spoiler
    Show
    GODDAMN ****ING THRONE ***HOLES.

Seriously, I ****ing hate those guys, even if I had their jerkassness spoiled for me.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had two of their painful deaths spoiled for me too, so that makes me feel a little better.

EDIT: **** YES CHOUBU GN-X SQUAD! Get 'em, Sergei!
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 05:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765

Why can't it hold up? Non whiny ones can be just as realistic. In a mech you're pretty detached from whatever is happening.
    It's not Ender's Game. Cockpits tend to shake a lot in mecha shows anyway.

I don't see why it is so hard to believe people can disconnect anyways whether inherently somewhat detached or not and not worry about a possible impending doom.
    People become incredibly detatched from killing people. But that's a very differant thing from retaining a "this is awesome" attitude.

Not everyone would instantly relieve themselves at the first sight of a gun whether they have prior experience or not.

Saying no one can handle X situation when thrust into it for the first isn't realistic either.
    I'm not saying that. I'm saying you'd get sick of it eventually or turn into a andrenaline addicted psychopath. People can break in a variety of differant ways.

I do have to wonder if the Angels hang out together before they pop into existence over Japan or the Pacific, though...
    OMG! NGE: Angels the Sitcom.

They should have ripped off The Final Program more and have everyone turn into a hemaphrodite Super being.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

16. - Top - End - #766

Honestly, we just need to stop having so damn many Evangelion spinoffs. Especially when several of them are better than the original.
    I would seriously suggest that a lot of the fan theories built around Evangelion are better thought-out than the original series itself. I'm not even kidding, I have quite a few issues with the original series: the dialogue is lackluster, essentially serving the story rather than the characters, and the writing in general is really an idiot plot disguised under layers of excellent stylization (why don't we tell Shinji what's at stake? Because we can't be bothered, shut up!) Probably the hours of hard thought would-be fanfic authors, including myself, put into every snippet of badly written conversation in the original constitutes a greater sum of effort than it deserves. U_U
    Last edited by Piedmon_Sama; 2008-11-26 at 06:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767

Then they could have Lucky Star level conversations about Balsamic Vinegar and pastries.
    Want. Want hard.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    I would seriously suggest that a lot of the fan theories built around Evangelion are better thought-out than the original series itself. I'm not even kidding, I have quite a few issues with the original series: the dialogue is lackluster, essentially serving the story rather than the characters, and the writing in general is really an idiot plot disguised under layers of excellent stylization (why don't we tell Shinji what's at stake? Because we can't be bothered, shut up!) Probably the hours of hard thought would-be fanfic authors, including myself, put into every snippet of badly written conversation in the original constitutes a greater sum of effort than it deserves. U_U
    I wouldn't go that far, but I will agree in principle, seeing as I've read a hentai doujin comic with a better ending and far more coherent plotting than the series itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't go that far, but I will agree in principle, seeing as I've read a hentai doujin comic with a better ending and far more coherent plotting than the series itself.
    This wouldn't be Re-Take by any chance? >_>

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey, I've already signed my name to it on the TVTropes Fan Fic Recommendation page, so I might as well admit it here. I'm an adult, I can read what I want.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 08:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771

I'm an adult, I can read what I want.
    Sad but true.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't bother.

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, I ****ing hate those guys, even if I had their jerkassness spoiled for me.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had two of their painful deaths spoiled for me too, so that makes me feel a little better.

Just gota say this: Thanks a lot, I totally agree with you, yet again. Until now I happened to meet only people who feel sorry for those jerks because 'they have suffered so much' and 'don't know anything but war' and crap, even afetr what they did... in Spain (to prevent possible spoilers) They got what they deserved... or.. no, actually the one deserves it did not get it, the others did. But Michael wasn't much better anyway.

On NGE, I only know the original anime, lacking EoE, the Rebuild (was it?) and the manga mostly. But... Yeah, the ending was pretty weird, I did not really get all of it, but it was quite some time back. Did they really redo the world in the anime? Thought it was just a dream or something? Or did I miss something here?
    Anyway, it was all pretty vague and unclear but that's what's fueling the discussion over the years - not so much anymore, even most fans discussed what needed to be to discussed - but back then. Wonder if the authors knew what they were doing.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't bother.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    What annoys me is that after the other two die Rie Kugimiya's pilot doesn't even really do anything at all even up to the latest episode. She starts working for someone else but we don't actually see anything except her briefly smiling or walking by. I hope she at least gets into a cool battle with one of the pilots soon and says her famous catchphrase "Urusai, urusai, urusai!" If she attacks the main cast and later turns to their side after discovering she's being used that'd be great. Then there could be an eating scene just like in Shana where she can say something tsundere like "Your food is trash... but since you made it, I like it."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

Yo.

I was wondering if you folks might be able to recommend something to me. I’m looking for a few different things:

A) I always liked the “battlefield of the bizarre” feel of the Metal Gear Solid games, I was wondering if there was anything like them in the anime field. Specifically, I enjoy watching fairly conventional soldiers combat paranormal threats. Thirty Xanatos Pileups and Mindscrews not appreciated.

B) A good romantic comedy series, emphasis on the romantic bit.

C) Some nice mech action. Specifically, my preference tends towards more Battletech-esque mechs than, say, Gundam, but I like and enjoy both. Dakka is appreciated.

I’d like to note a few things: For starters, I’m not that fond of the original voice acting of most anime, so dubs are fine (and might even be preferred.) Mostly, I find some of the voices to be a bit high pitched. I constantly wonder whether the character (usually a young boy or a woman) is attempting to report a burglary. Then again, if anime did tend to suddenly segue into random Monty Python sketches, I might watch nothing else (aside from Monty Python, of course.) I also just don’t find Japanese to be particularly interesting or pleasing to the ear (I do like Slavic, Arabic, and African tongues though).

I also have an irrational dislike of characters who have been raised by wolves. Seen that act one time too many for it to be interesting.

Now that I’m done with that… general discussin’ I guess.

I’m currently reading and enjoying Mahou Sensei Negima and enjoying it a fair bit. Currently at 225. Or was it 227? Can’t remember. Keeping imagining Fate with the voice of Pegasus from Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series.

As something of a broad inquiry, I wanted to ask which firearms are the mostly commonly depicted across anime? I ask because I’ve noted that the French FAMAS rifle seems to show up in Japanese media a fair bit, and was wondering if there were any other odd tendencies when it comes to firearm choices.

For pistols, I bet that the Desert Eagle and Beretta 92FS/M9 are the most common, excluding revolvers. SMGs would be the FN P90, HK MP5 (PDW and K models,) and the Uzi. Assault rifles are probably AKs, M16/M4s, and the aforementioned FAMAS. The Dragunov SVD is fairly common as well.

Could anyone confirm/refute/add to this list?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    On NGE, I only know the original anime, lacking EoE, the Rebuild (was it?) and the manga mostly. But... Yeah, the ending was pretty weird, I did not really get all of it, but it was quite some time back. Did they really redo the world in the anime? Thought it was just a dream or something? Or did I miss something here?
    Anyway, it was all pretty vague and unclear but that's what's fueling the discussion over the years - not so much anymore, even most fans discussed what needed to be to discussed - but back then. Wonder if the authors knew what they were doing.
    Simply put, they ran out of money. To get the proper ending, you need to combine episodes 25 and 26 with End of Evangelion. And probably remove some spite, because Anno got annoyed by fans sending him death threats after the series ended and therefore decided to do some really mean jabs in EoE.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasrkin View Post
    B) A good romantic comedy series, emphasis on the romantic bit.
    I would say El Cazador de la Bruja. It's got some good comedy and romance, and some drama and action. You tell me if the last two bits are appreciated.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasrkin View Post
    I always liked the “battlefield of the bizarre” feel of the Metal Gear Solid games, I was wondering if there was anything like them in the anime field. Specifically, I enjoy watching fairly conventional soldiers combat paranormal threats.
    Hellsing. Unless you meant "fairly conventional soldiers combat paranormal threats and don't suffer a messy end", of course. And by the way, if you have to choose, watch the OVAs instead of the series. All the series really has going for it are some sweet tunes and... That's about it, really. The Ultimates, on the other hand, have zombie Nazis.

Now I'm curious too. Are there any MGS-esque anime good series out there?
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2008-11-26 at 01:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by RPGuru1331 View Post
    I would say El Cazador de la Bruja. It's got some good comedy and romance, and some drama and action. You tell me if the last two bits are appreciated.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it romantic but it's certainly a very charming series.
    Skydiving as an activity does not in itself require a parachute.
    Skydiving as a hobby does.

People who take drugs are bad.
    Blasted customs agents.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Your post basically described Full Metal Panic perfectly, although it's lacking a lot of the paranormal. It's pretty much either tech or supertech. Also probably more emphasis on the comedy in the romantic comedy than the romance.

Spoiler
    Show
    What annoys me is that after the other two die Rie Kugimiya's pilot doesn't even really do anything at all even up to the latest episode. She starts working for someone else but we don't actually see anything except her briefly smiling or walking by. I hope she at least gets into a cool battle with one of the pilots soon and says her famous catchphrase "Urusai, urusai, urusai!" If she attacks the main cast and later turns to their side after discovering she's being used that'd be great. Then there could be an eating scene just like in Shana where she can say something tsundere like "Your food is trash... but since you made it, I like it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah. She could either be contrite or remain cutely evil. Going by Gundam standards, she gets one more battle as a villain and dies. I will laugh all day if Louise is the one who kills her.

In another show, or if they were actually setting it up, she could redeem herself, but...
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-11-26 at 02:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd also throw out 8th MS Team. It's Gundam, but much more realistic/gritty. Very little beam weaponry. No other Gundam knowledge really necessary. It's kind of Gundam meets Vietnam feel.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune