New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Paizos' new Paladin since October 10th:

So I was reading Paizo's boards and the Paladin is being redone, but this error crossed my mind:
    http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...inUpgrade1jb9d

Holy Champion (Su): At 20th level, a paladin becomes a conduit for the power of her god. Her DR increases to 10/evil. Whenever she uses smite evil and successfully strikes an evil outsider, the outsider is also subject to a banishment, using her paladin level as the caster level (her weapon and holy symbol automatically count as objects that the subject hates). In addition, whenever she channels positive energy or uses lay on hands to heal a creature, she heals the maximum possible amount.

Now the secondary function (banishment) is awesome. Very paladin-like, but DR/evil?
    What so Paladins are better versus non evil!

That doesn't compute.
    Although, I'm not sure what DR to put: DR/Good?
    That seems best as Paladins don't fight good often and evil creatures don't weild holy weapons.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paizos' new Paladin since October 10th:

No, it's a flavor thing. Paladins are great against everyone, it's just that evil mofos are the only things that can hurt them. A paladin facing down a neutral thief for example would beat the ever loving crap out of him, but against a devil, well, that's a big epic brawl right there.

To put it another way, why would he have DR/good? Why would a good item hurt more against an exemplar of goodness? Conversely, why would an unholy item hurt a devil more? It wouldn't. Only polar opposites can hurt each other in the D&D world which is why good characters beat evil characters so hard. Why wouldn't the inverse be true as well? It's a pretty weird world where the bad guys are hurt by the good guys being so good and the good guys are hurts by...the good guys being so good?
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

That's pretty much the way I see it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    What so Paladins are better versus non evil!

That doesn't compute.
    Indeed, it does not. My first guess is that they've redefined "DR x/y" to mean "resist X against Y" (as it does in 4E) instead of "resist X against anything except for Y" (as it does in 3E).
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2008-10-20 at 01:26 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Paladins are so good that they can only be hurt by concentrated evil. Everything else refuses to hurt them, because they're that good.

Of course, you can probably hurt them with mistletoe...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Looks like Jason's finally grokked the meaning of the phrase 'level appropriate'.

DR10/evil at 20th level is still meaningless though.

"Good designer, have a cookie."
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-10-20 at 01:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Indeed, it does not. My first guess is that they've redefined "DR x/y" to mean "resist X against Y" (as it does in 4E) instead of "resist X against anything except for Y" (as it does in 3E).
    Think of it like this:

If evil had DR/Evil, why would people bother spending the time and effort to make sanctified weapons to use against evil stuff? So it makes sense that evil things have DR/Good. If evil things have DR/Good, then wouldn't it make sense that good things have DR/Evil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Looks like Jason's finally grokked the meaning of the phrase 'level appropriate'.

DR10/evil at 20th level is still meaningless though.

"Good designer, have a cookie."
    Not meaningless... just not a huge perk in and of itself. It's pretty meaningless if all you're fighting is things with inherent alignments, yeah, but it's not against humans, tarrasques, and other such things.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I see it like "strong against mundane attacks, but evil is so powerful that only it can penetrate it's defenses."
    And yes, DR 10/evil is way, WAAAAY more useful than DR 10/magic
    Hmm.. I'll have to check out this paladin. This holy champion thing looks like what I saw in some homebrews, and I like it.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

10. - Top - End - #10

It's to stop you from being killed by the misguided angry mob of inocent commoners manipulated BBEG.

It's also great for those girlfriends who like it more rough than normal. Beware of Succubus still.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    It's to stop you from being killed by the misguided angry mob of inocent commoners manipulated BBEG.

It's also great for those girlfriends who like it more rough than normal. Beware of Succubus still.
    So DR/foreplay? Wait, do succubuses even attempt that?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

DR 10/Evil is nothing to sneeze at. It literally saved my arse in a recent game. well it was 10/Cold Iron, but still. At Epic levels, it is a little weak in some peoples books, but this is the same time that the <blanking> Wizard can cast Time Stop. talk about brok~en...
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I view it as Evil weapons are specifically designed to penetrate the defenses of good Celestials and Paladins. The Paladin has a holy shield protecting her from injury, but Evil weapons eat through it because they're made to do so.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

As said, DR 10 is nothing to sneeze at. I've found stoneskin effects to be very handy in 10th-15th level combats. 10 points off each hit really adds up when you're facing enemies that attack 5 to 8 times per round.

That said, waiting all the way until 20th-level to get it seems a bit slow.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    As said, DR 10 is nothing to sneeze at. I've found stoneskin effects to be very handy in 10th-15th level combats. 10 points off each hit really adds up when you're facing enemies that attack 5 to 8 times per round.

That said, waiting all the way until 20th-level to get it seems a bit slow.

- Saph
    They get 5/evil a bit earlier than that.
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    As said, DR 10 is nothing to sneeze at.
    Unless it's an evil creature doing the sneezing

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

17. - Top - End - #17

Ugh. They still have no idea what they are doing. That Banishment effect is the best part of the ability, but the DR is absolutely worthless at 20th.

Why? Look at all of the CR 20's in the MMs scattered throughout 3.5. How many of them can cast spells or use SLAs? And how many of them can just deal more damage than the 10 can ignore?

All MM CR 20's go straight through DR 10/Evil without even blinking. Balor? SLAs. Pit Fiend? SLAs and can Wish for you to lose 2 levels, then put you in Blasphemy Lock. Dragon? Enervate, many other Sorcerer/Wizard spells that utterly rape a melee character. Big T? Power Attack+Huge Str and BAB=Ignores the DR, eats you alive, lets you rot in his gut. Solar (don't ask why)? SLAs, and attacking one can be deemed an Evil act by the DM (thus screwing you even worse).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Ugh. They still have no idea what they are doing. That Banishment effect is the best part of the ability, but the DR is absolutely worthless at 20th.

Why? Look at all of the CR 20's in the MMs scattered throughout 3.5. How many of them can cast spells or use SLAs? And how many of them can just deal more damage than the 10 can ignore?

All MM CR 20's go straight through DR 10/Evil without even blinking. Balor? SLAs. Pit Fiend? SLAs and can Wish for you to lose 2 levels, then put you in Blasphemy Lock. Dragon? Enervate, many other Sorcerer/Wizard spells that utterly rape a melee character. Big T? Power Attack+Huge Str and BAB=Ignores the DR, eats you alive, lets you rot in his gut. Solar (don't ask why)? SLAs, and attacking one can be deemed an Evil act by the DM (thus screwing you even worse).
    Uh. The idea is not to make you immune to attacks, it's a part of a capstone, to give a little edge. How many monsters will have evil aligned attacks? Yes, many monsters deal more than 10 points of damage, but remember that you are taking 10 less points of damage per attack.
    Yes. There's the SLA, but this was never meant to make you resistant/immune to them. For that you have Divine Grace.
    And it's a permanent ability. If it were a "x rounds a day", giving you RD 30/- and SR equal to your level +11, then it would be what you want, I guess.
    And man, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to get something instead of just "reach 20th level. Gain 1 more smite evil" deal from normal D&D 3.5
    And it's still better than DR 10/magic, when EVERYTHING is bypassing that at CR 20

I mean, hey, if you don't want DR 10/evil, ask your DM to not get it. Be my guess.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

19. - Top - End - #19

Ugh. They still have no idea what they are doing.
    Ugh. You still have no idea what you're talking about.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    Uh. The idea is not to make you immune to attacks, it's a part of a capstone, to give a little edge. How many monsters will have evil aligned attacks? Yes, many monsters deal more than 10 points of damage, but remember that you are taking 10 less points of damage per attack.
    Yes. There's the SLA, but this was never meant to make you resistant/immune to them. For that you have Divine Grace.
    And it's a permanent ability. If it were a "x rounds a day", giving you RD 30/- and SR equal to your level +11, then it would be what you want, I guess.
    And man, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to get something instead of just "reach 20th level. Gain 1 more smite evil" deal from normal D&D 3.5
    And it's still better than DR 10/magic, when EVERYTHING is bypassing that at CR 20

I mean, hey, if you don't want DR 10/evil, ask your DM to not get it. Be my guess.
    The thing is that DR is usless at that level because the Casters are the only ones doing any work, as you can't hurt the enemies worth a damn due to a majority of the CR 20s having SLAs. Divine Grace only protects against spells that offer saves (helpful hint, Dragons can just use Rays or other spells that don't offer saves). This doesn't prevent a Blasphemy lock or even the humble Grease spell from slowing you (you need magic items or an ally to get around that single spell, which is a serious problem).

This also doesn't help you ignore the buffs enemies will use to screw you over. Greater Mage Armor and Greater Shield alone make +12 AC, which hurts your odds of connecting drastically unless you optimize your attack bonuses. And I'm not even counting half of the spells a Dragon can use to buff itself, seeing as they can pick and choose what spells they want to use.

This is assuming you can even catch up to one, due to their incredible fly speed (if low maneuverability). If not you are out of luck.

The DR is an increase from the original Paladin, but it still isn't helping the Paladin save his party from a dragon.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

and thats why you are running around in a team, there is a decent chance that either one of the casters will use a greater dispel magic, or that someone with UMD will use a scroll of it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #22

The thing is that DR is usless at that level because the Casters are the only ones doing any work, as you can't hurt the enemies worth a damn due to a majority of the CR 20s having SLAs. Divine Grace only protects against spells that offer saves (helpful hint, Dragons can just use Rays or other spells that don't offer saves). This doesn't prevent a Blasphemy lock or even the humble Grease spell from slowing you (you need magic items or an ally to get around that single spell, which is a serious problem).

This also doesn't help you ignore the buffs enemies will use to screw you over. Greater Mage Armor and Greater Shield alone make +12 AC, which hurts your odds of connecting drastically unless you optimize your attack bonuses. And I'm not even counting half of the spells a Dragon can use to buff itself, seeing as they can pick and choose what spells they want to use.

This is assuming you can even catch up to one, due to their incredible fly speed (if low maneuverability). If not you are out of luck.

The DR is an increase from the original Paladin, but it still isn't helping the Paladin save his party from a dragon.
    If casters are doing all the work, tell your fighters to start playing the game too, or tell your casters to stop hogging the spotlight, or tell your DM to quit being a bad DM.

Grease requires a save (very easy for paladins to save against a level 1 spell) and a DC 10 balance check to move through (very easy for a level 1 commoner to do).

If you are a paladin, your attack bonuses are optimized. In fact, your DM should be casting these spells on his monsters just so that they can keep up with the party's power level.

If your paladin can't attack flying enemies, you're doing something wrong.

And congratulations, you've discovered that dragons are tough enemies to take down. Not just by paladins, but any character.

Also, nice distrction but this has nothing to do with what you or anyone else was saying. Paladin's get DR, not attack bonuses. If you want to attack their stats, you should point out how a dragon is going to nullify their defenses, not their offenses.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    Grease requires a save (very easy for paladins to save against a level 1 spell) and a DC 10 balance check to move through (very easy for a level 1 commoner to do).
    A 55% chance is not "very easy".

And congratulations, you've discovered that dragons are tough enemies to take down. Not just by paladins, but any character.
    Two words: Shivering Touch.

24. - Top - End - #24

The thing is that DR is usless at that level because the Casters are the only ones doing any work
    See, this may be true in theory, but I find very few 20th level characters sit around saying "Oh, well, since I can't cast a spell, I can do nothing this round."

The casters may be more efficient at this level, but they're not the only ones doing work.
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #25

A 55% chance is not "very easy".
    That would be 50% chance, and if a commoner can succeed half the time, a 20th level character sure won't have a problem with it. Even with no ranks in balance and heavy armor, your gear should bring you back up to par with any of the following: Gloves of Dex, any item that grants you flying, Ring of Freedom of Movement, etc.

Two words: Shivering Touch.
    Sure, but only after you've dispelled his spell turning spell, and only in games where DMs allow that spell. Also, getting into melee with a dragon is not something a spellcaster wants to do.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

That would be 50% chance
    DC 10. +0 bonus. Roll a 10 or higher to succeed. That's a 55% chance.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

That would be 50% chance,
    No, it's 55%. Statistics is funny that way.

and if a commoner can succeed half the time, a 20th level character sure won't have a problem with it.
    Nope. The half level bonus to skill checks is 4E, you know. Not all characters benefit from a high dexterity.

Sure, but only after you've dispelled his spell turning spell, and only in games where DMs allow that spell.
    Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells. And touch range spells can be delivered by e.g. a familiar, a spectral hand, or archmage's arcane reach.

See, it's easy to claim that whenever the casters are overshadowing the fighters, it's the DM's fault; but if you actually look at the rules and statistics, you'll see that the system is skewed quite a bit in that direction. Your arguments here tend to boil down to a misunderstanding of the rules, or Oberoni fallacy.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2008-10-21 at 10:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

If casters are doing all the work, tell your fighters to start playing the game too
    Option A: blame the players for something that's not their fault. Bad idea IMO.

, or tell your casters to stop hogging the spotlight
    Option B: tell your players how to roleplay their characters. Bad idea IMO.

, or tell your DM to quit being a bad DM.
    Option C: blame the DM for something that's not their fault. Bad idea IMO.

The fault lies with the class balance, not anywhere else.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

yeah that would clear a lot up

As for this, it isn't great but it does make some sense, not much. It takes pure evil to hurt a paladin, so the DR is more against normal stuff.........like i said, not much
    from
    EE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hint: Balors and Pit fiends are evil.
    Evil creatures's weapons (natural or held in their cases) goes through Dr/evil.

So that was expected. Pathfinder isn't making Paladins as good as casters: they are trying to level the playing field and make classes better than 3.5 PHB version.

Is this better: yes.

Is it good enough: you think not.

But hey, at least they are trying.

Not like how much their screwed up the monk (Full bab? Nevar!).