New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Anyone speak Greek?

I'm working on a project over at the Homebrew forum and I need some Greek help. Does anyone speak Greek? If so, please PM me.

System is D&D, but I need some generic words translated, so it hardly matters.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone speak Greek?

Ethrael could help you, or I'm da Rogue! But she's hard to get ahold of these days.

What's it for, if I may ask?
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-20 at 10:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's a trickier language, and one I have no point of reference for. My proficiencies are Romance and Germanic.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If it's just the "exotic feel" you need, I find online translators are always good for finding words. Google Translate does Greek, and searching for greek transliteration can help you map words to the Roman alphabet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Online translators have been little help with Greek, because it's a more nuanced language. Not to mention, if I go the faux-Greek route, a Greek speaker will appear out of the woodwork and catch me on it. Happened last time for faux-Latin when I went the web translation route.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can speak it conversationally but I am by no means completely proficient (2nd generation). If you are living in NA, you will find that many speakers of the language do not use a particularly educated version of it. In Europe, like many other languages, it is often peppered with liberal application of English. If you just need words and not full texts then an online translator should be fine.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I've been trying for adjectives such as frozen, and it gives me a list of twenty variants depending on nuance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Many of those are probably just artifacts.

The term παγωμένος might be a good term to use if you are trying to describe something as frozen in the RPG elemental sense.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can read Greek and Latin at a kindergarten level, mostly from reading the Bible and the classics. There are interlinear versions of the Bible available, with the original Greek published line for line next to the translated English. (The next time you get into a discussion with someone who believes that the Bible is the literal word of God, ask them what language they think God speaks. It makes a big difference). I also highly suggest the Loeb Classics.
    Last edited by Person_Man; 2008-10-21 at 09:03 AM.