New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default What makes you go -_- when people make suggestions to DM?

If someone wants to play rogue and then DM provides an undead sidequest. The first thing people say is give rogue traps, it just makes me go -_-. I tend to look forward to next sneak attack target or use bunch of UMD scrolls/wand. I never got into the whole increase the amount of traps (then again I sometimes reminded of a trap place in areas like barrack's latrine's door)
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What makes you go -_- when people make suggestions to DM?

I never saw the appeal of disarming traps either. Either the d20 likes you or it doesn't, end of story.

Regarding rogues in an undead quest, undead usually have a squishy necromancy with them. Maybe the rogue could target that guy?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

PHBII - Alternate Class Features - Trade Trapsense for Penetrating Strike. You'll still manage half of your sneak attack damage against undead and constructs. I wouldn't play a Rogue without that option!
    Last edited by JupiterPaladin; 2008-10-21 at 10:04 PM.
    I like turtles!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Not necessarily to the DM (though I've seen DMs do it to their players), but anytime someone has a relatively simple character idea and people jump over each other to suggest a convoluted ToB build to do it, I tend to make a "-_-" face.

"So I had this idea for a paladin with some monk training. He'd use his greatsword but be very nimble and sprinkle in some melee attacks and stunning fists."

"Sure, sounds good. However it'd only be playable as a Crusader/Unarmed Swordsage/PrC1/PrC2/swordsage/crusader/swordsage/PrC3."

To each his own, I suppose.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Not necessarily to the DM (though I've seen DMs do it to their players), but anytime someone has a relatively simple character idea and people jump over each other to suggest a convoluted ToB build to do it, I tend to make a "-_-" face.

"So I had this idea for a paladin with some monk training. He'd use his greatsword but be very nimble and sprinkle in some melee attacks and stunning fists."

"Sure, sounds good. However it'd only be playable as a Crusader/Unarmed Swordsage/PrC1/PrC2/swordsage/crusader/swordsage/PrC3."

Well, to be fair, Crusader and Unarmed Swordsage have pretty much rendered Paladin and Monk obsolete, respectively. Stronger, more flexible, and more fun to play (since you get way more combat options). I haven't seen much about crazy PrCs in ToB though; the three base classes are usually enough to represent most martial character concepts pretty well, and the PrCs are only really there for fine-tuning. That said, I'm a ToB fanboy so perhaps (perhaps...) I'm biased.

I think my #1 -.- phrase is "aw, they're just Kobolds, let's kill em all!"

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

a party of first levels fighting 31 dire rabbits (the KoL kind, not MPatHG) and the party sorcerer said 'I can animate rope!' (player was pretty stupid) this also lead to dice chucking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I make a "-_-" face whenever one of my students (a bit of a rules lawyer) says some of my ruling as a DM are invalid. And he's not even playing--he just watches the group. (The group he was part of got dissolved.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    I make a "-_-" face whenever one of my students (a bit of a rules lawyer) says some of my ruling as a DM are invalid. And he's not even playing--he just watches the group. (The group he was part of got dissolved.)
    Y'know, I've got a player like this. Sometimes I just wanna shank him...
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Y'know, I've got a player like this. Sometimes I just wanna shank him...
    I once had a session where two of the players (a couple, a girl and her boyfriend) argued with literally every ruling I made - at least, every one that didn't work to their advantage. As in, EVERY ruling. Every single one. For FIVE HOURS.

Everything from the guy insisting that he should be allowed to take back his magic missile against the sorcerer, because he'd heard the sorcerer cast shield earlier and "my character's smart enough to remember that", to the girl reacting with outrage to the idea that enemies should get a bonus to attack her in melee because she was helpless.

I think the climax was the point at which the guy refused to believe that a Manticore could throw three lots of spikes in a single combat and then actually pulled out the Monster Manual and started looking it up, while he was sitting at the table and while everyone else was in the middle of combat.

- Saph
    Last edited by Saph; 2008-10-22 at 06:28 AM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I once had a session where two of the players (a couple, a girl and her boyfriend) argued with literally every ruling I made - at least, every one that didn't work to their advantage. As in, EVERY ruling. Every single one. For FIVE HOURS.

Everything from the guy insisting that he should be allowed to take back his magic missile against the sorcerer, because he'd heard the sorcerer cast shield earlier and "my character's smart enough to remember that", to the girl reacting with outrage to the idea that enemies should get a bonus to attack her in melee because she was helpless.

I think the climax was the point at which the guy refused to believe that a Manticore could throw three lots of spikes in a single combat and then actually pulled out the Monster Manual and started looking it up, while he was sitting at the table and while everyone else was in the middle of combat.

- Saph
    Ouch, that would get them invited to leave my game.

"I'm sorry but i don't think you are suited to my style of play, perhaps you might consider GMing yourself?" *((what with knowing all the rules and everything))

*said under breath
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post

"I'm sorry but i don't think you are suited to my style of play, perhaps you might consider GMing yourself?" *((what with knowing all the rules and everything))

*said under breath
    Wait, you propose to GM to the boyfriend, or the girlfriend?!?!?!

You *really* think it's a better idea?!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

A player having access to a monster manual? At the table ??? OMG What has become of the world... In my day Players didnt even know there was such a thing! When they saw a MM lying around somewhere they would prod it with a 10 feet pole wondering what it is. Oh my...

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

And it was good that they did so, because it often ended up being a killer mimic
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
    Wait, you propose to GM to the boyfriend, or the girlfriend?!?!?!

You *really* think it's a better idea?!
    I never said they could GM for MY group, just leave and GM for some random strangers who will have to suffer for my lack of patience with them.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    If someone wants to play rogue and then DM provides an undead sidequest. The first thing people say is give rogue traps, it just makes me go -_-. I tend to look forward to next sneak attack target or use bunch of UMD scrolls/wand. I never got into the whole increase the amount of traps (then again I sometimes reminded of a trap place in areas like barrack's latrine's door)
    When my DM thought Duskblades are overpowered (he once played one).
    I even offered to play one with straight 8 in all stats (I am a adventurer in classes; want to try each one out fior the exeperience).

Still thought it would be too broken.

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    A player having access to a monster manual? At the table ??? OMG What has become of the world... In my day Players didnt even know there was such a thing! When they saw a MM lying around somewhere they would prod it with a 10 feet pole wondering what it is. Oh my...
    My druid and conjurer players take print-outs from the SRD and they have to like it.

Actually, due to less page-flipping it's more convenient.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

When my players start saying I'm contradicting myself when an NPC says something that they know isn't true, and that I should seriously start taking notes on my setting. Newsflash, its called a lie, NPCs use them. Although only one of the players in my group uses bluffing as a tactic at all, so its somewhat understandable.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

When my players start saying I'm contradicting myself when an NPC says something that they know isn't true, and that I should seriously start taking notes on my setting. Newsflash, its called a lie, NPCs use them. Although only one of the players in my group uses bluffing as a tactic at all, so its somewhat understandable.
    Thats pretty funny actually

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post

*said under breath
    Heh. Yeah.

It wasn't the having the Monster Manual that amazed me. It was the attitude of "I'm going to look up the MM and show that the creature can't do what the DM's just said it's done! What do you mean, 'nonstandard'?"

The real joke was that it WAS a completely standard Manticore. The player was just remembering the entry wrong.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Thats actually what i meant too saph. :) Taking out *any* rulebook to point out how wrong the DM is just has the following error for me: "Some other guys homerules, who i never ever met nor propably will ever play with are more relevant to me than the homerules of the guy at who's table i am sitting" Because thats what a Rulebook is: Some other guys Homerules...

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGirl

What? I have access to MM when I start summoning. I can't remember all the summons... I guess I could always just print them out but I already have the book...
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The only time we ever had a hard debate about anything it wasn't even clear rule-lawering, it was an actual mistake by the GM:

We had, unfortunately, split up into two teams with 3 players in each due to infighting (in the game, not in real life) and we were at the end of a module homing in on the treasure chamber from two different directions. Our group opened the main door after killing off some guards and stuff and found the room cleaned out.

Short explanation: The GM had misread the map and placed a secret door where it (according to the module) shouldn't be, and physically basically couldn't be (it sorta worked from the outside in, but not from inside out). The other group found it and got all the loot by themselves.

After some pause with discussion over pizza the GM first realized and then admitted to the screwup and we were compensated later (it all worked out; the GM was disappointed too since he had tried to make it so that we would both (groups) meet eye to eye again in that room...)

...As for manuals: Depends on what game you are running, what setting you are running, and how you are running it as a DM/GM. When we played normal fantasy RPGs, we usually had all manuals stacked on the table because of summons and other issues that might concern everyone. Of course if you are running a horror game / setting, giving the players full info of the ghastly horrors from beyond is destroying the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2008-10-22 at 08:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

When I tell my players "no X" during character creation (X being anything, from evil characters to magic users to elves) and they give me a character sheet with a character who's clearly X. Or, even worse, when they ask me can they be X, and when I refuse they go all "aww c'mon, what do you have against X?" or "I'll be different than the way people normally play X!". I'm a very tolerant GM who lets his players do a lot, and don't arbitrarily ban anything - if I don't want my PCs to be something, I have a reason for that.

And on these forums, I make a -_- face each time people give edition-inappropriate advice, when the OP clearly states what game does he have in mind. Extra points if the game isn't even DND, and people give DND-related advice.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-10-22 at 08:34 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I have some here-heres and some har-hars.
    My group is very okay with "fact checking." If you don't understand a rule, or don't believe it, you can look it up. We don't mind, we don't retcon things, we just remember for next time. However, some of us game in multiple groups, and one of us has a bad habit of saying, "Well, that's not how OtherGM does it. He'd allow it." I feel my face becoming -.- as I say, "I'm Burley, not OtherGM."

And, I have a problem with players playing X when X is inappropriate. I once made a campaign were Druids and Barbarians were, in fact, druids and barbarians and spoke druidic as a base language instead of common. My game almost fell apart at character creation when I had a player wanting to play a druid and I told him that he had to take common as a bonus language if he wanted it. I ended up caving and scrapping the entire campaign, turning the entire (vibrant and colorful) setting into "Generic Campaign 44." I ended up just picking random encounters and having a "Job Board" in the pub. I ended up -.- at myself for allowing the player to complain that much.

I must say though, I just suggested one of players play a ToB character instead of a fighter. Gestalt Fighter//Monk becomes Unarmed Swordsage//Monk, because he wants to focus on the monk and use the bonus feats to boost his monk abilities. I poured over whatever I could find, and there just weren't enough fighter bonus feats that would work with monk abilities. I was afraid he was focusing on feats instead of the total character. So, I pointed out ToB. One of my other players is giving me the -.- about this a lot, because he doesn't think I (the DM) should push a player into a specific class. (He's playing a CompChamp Pounce Barbarian//Scout. A fighter//monk would just fall behind in this group...)
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post

Don't need to be only ToB, actually. In this example, they'd usually would suggest cleric/Fist of forest/duelist/something else.

What makes me go blank stare is when someone decides to break the story for... no reason.
    Me - "Ok, the group decided to travel back to the city, and look for information about the raiders"
    Player (checking the map) - "Instead of going with them, I want to go to these mountains" (pointing to a place in the map in the opposite direction.
    Me - "... Why? There's nothing for you there. If you go, you'll miss on today's game. I'll have to write something later for you, maybe next week."
    Not counting the time a wizard wanted to torture an ogre with a whip to make him talk... >_>

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My usual WTF moments tend to happen when my players do one of two things:

1) Blatantly make a metagame or outside game decision that utterly conflicts with their characters concept and personality. Example: CG sorceress being a jerk to, stealing from, etc. a character because her player isn't fond of the other charaters player.

2) Blatantly attempt to pull a fast one either for extra loot or xp. A character dies and the player wants their new character to have been the 'long lost cousin' of the old character and then argue they should be entitled to all their old characters stuff (on top of their own WBL stuff) in game.

"Some other guys homerules, who i never ever met nor propably will ever play with are more relevant to me than the homerules of the guy at who's table i am sitting" Because thats what a Rulebook is: Some other guys Homerules...
    Wow, I'm not sure I can disagree with that statement more. The very definition of houserules is that they aren't the standard ones in the book. The published rules are the baseline game that players can expect to be playing. Deviation from them is fine, I encourage it, but to call the standard rules just 'some other guys homerules' misses the point of having a standard ruleset entirely. This really isn't the place for it though so I'm going to stop talking about it before I derail this thread more.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    When I tell my players "no X" during character creation (X being anything, from evil characters to magic users to elves) and they give me a character sheet with a character who's clearly X. Or, even worse, when they ask me can they be X, and when I refuse they go all "aww c'mon, what do you have against X?" or "I'll be different than the way people normally play X!". I'm a very tolerant GM who lets his players do a lot, and don't arbitrarily ban anything - if I don't want my PCs to be something, I have a reason for that.
    If a player ever did that in one of my games I'd be like, "Dude, you know we're playing level 8, right? You only have 5 levels down. Go level up to 8."

And power gamer would be all like "No, I have 5 levels of fighter and 3 levels of ultra broken prestige class you said I couldn't have but I wrote down anyway."

And I'd be like, "Ultra broken prestige calss I said you couldn't have but you wrote down anyway doesn't exist in my game. Therefore your character is only level 5."

Depending on how much of a jerk I felt like being at the time I may or may not let them take the remaining 3 levels.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post

Depending on how much of a jerk I felt like being at the time I may or may not let them take the remaining 3 levels.
    "The deities of optimization find you annoying. A black bolt of negative energy smites you from the sky, giving you three negative levels."

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post

And, y'know, the player I'm talking about is just as bad. He frequently argues with me over details that don't even matter, stuff that's by and large inconsequential. One session, when a hobgoblin sundered his wand, he refused to accept that wands could be sundered, digging out his books and asking me where the rules for it would be.

That might sound bad, but like I said, he also does it for stuff that's not even relevant to what's happening, but happened to be mentioned, like whether the Cure and Inflict spells were in different schools or not, whether or not vampires had fire resistance, etc.

So, should I shank him, or what?
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    And, y'know, the player I'm talking about is just as bad. He frequently argues with me over details that don't even matter, stuff that's by and large inconsequential. One session, when a hobgoblin sundered his wand, he refused to accept that wands could be sundered, digging out his books and asking me where the rules for it would be.

That might sound bad, but like I said, he also does it for stuff that's not even relevant to what's happening, but happened to be mentioned, like whether the Cure and Inflict spells were in different schools or not, whether or not vampires had fire resistance, etc.

So, should I shank him, or what?
    No, don't shank, Outflank

Next session say: "In order to encourage roleplaying, all communication is assumed to be in-character unless you put your hand on your head like so *place hand on head*"

Now, all you have to do is wait for him to forget, especially likely if he's grabbing a book to look up the rule you just used and starts complaining. If his hand is off his head, Make him suffer the consequences of having his sorceror in the middle of combat say "You can sunder wands! Where in the book does it say you're allowed to sunder wands!".

Encourage the other players to Roleplay appropriate reactions, gradually thinking his character has gone insane, talking about "Rulebooks", as if all possible actions were outlined in some "book" somewhere. Claiming that a vampire who just laughed off a fireball is incorrect because some "Manual of Monsters" states that Vampires are not immune to fire, and believing this to be so despite the direct evidence in front of him in the form of a fire-immune vampire!

Fun can be had from this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]