New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #603 - The Discussion Thread

Yes, is it bit blurry. Passage- overriding passage.

Page 213: casting time for a spell is the time required to activate same power in an item whether it is a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.

Page 213: Spell completion:

A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that's left to do is perform the short, simple, finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on.)

Activating a spell completion item is a standard action.and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as spellcasting does.

Note for wands and staffs (spell trigger) it explicitly states if longer casting time exists, it applies.

also, for Use-activated, it explicitly states reverse- unless time is explicitly stated as Longer, its standard action, or no action.

For scrolls, nothing stated either way.

Maybe errata clarifies it.

EDIT:
    Rules Compendium does have little footnote under Scroll- same casting time as spell.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-10-24 at 01:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

First of all: I think the cleric is autistic: He never makes eye-contact

Second: He's going to die. He screwed himself up after saying "no names, please"

3. - Top - End - #243

Its usually stereotyped as "shifty" in most stories: Might even be a trope "Look Me in the Eye"

and gets subverted lots: the guy who looks people straight and has firm handshake is the conman in Discworld.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Its usually stereotyped as "shifty" in most stories: Might even be a trope "Look Me in the Eye"

and gets subverted lots: the guy who looks people straight and has firm handshake is the conman in Discworld.
    In fact, he banks on the handshake eye contact thing.

Of course, he's a decent enough guy, deep down.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    By the time the smoke start filling the bottom part of the house, he already polluted the air enough to choke the fire.
    But anyway, do you really want to try to smoke a sylph? Because there is some relative chance that she has some air spell of sort. Likely.
    The details don't really matter here. Any time you are stuck in one location and your enemy can just sit and wait for you to come out, you are dead. It just takes awhile. Eventually you have to come out and fight on the enemy's terms.

Haley is in a fine tactical situation. She can hold off her foes for a long time. [Probably. Cloudkill looks like it would rapidly dispose of the defense here. The thieves guild may not have access to 5th level Arcane spell, tho they should, but if they use them 1d4 con damage per round is fatal fast.] But her strategic situation is lousy. She can't expect help to show nearly in time. The guild amuses itself with smoke bombs and such and eventually can just wander in.

Since Haley seems to have a back-up plan of Durkon raising everybody, she seems to realize she is in deep do-do.

6. - Top - End - #246

it's a siege: Question is, will they stop attacking and try to starve them out? or just keep probing, wait till Haley gets tired, strike?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the cleric is autistic: He never makes eye-contact
    No, he does too make eye contact in this comic.

How mad will V be when he learns that he spent months trying to contact those guys, and they finally make contact AFTER he's gone?

I for one can't wait
    Last edited by link55557; 2008-10-24 at 04:37 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

The PCs were at a rally for the rebellion they were members of in a secret compound beneath a city made of Adamantite.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

My new favorite character survives another strip! I refer to the cleric, of course.

Also, I predict that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar will convince the cleric to cast Remove Curse. After all, he's a high-level PC and the cleric wants to live, and the spell shouldn't take too long to cast.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    My wife felt the same way about the people she grew up with, although to the best of my knowledge she never killed any of them with arrows.
    I know what you mean ... my wife doesn't use arrows either.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    My wife felt the same way about the people she grew up with, although to the best of my knowledge she never killed any of them with arrows.
    Did any of the people she grew up with show up years later and try to kill her?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I thought it odd that Celia still has the hair-out-of-face braid in this comic, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it could be going if it's supposed to be important. After all, anyone who could be trying to identify Haley here has already met her in the past and probably remembers if not her hair colour, then at least that she's not a sylph.
    Wasn't that was answered in the first panel of #602? They were just bored and doing each other's hair.

I think the only significance it might have is that it could show that Haley and Celia have bonded. It's a nice little touch added by the Giant.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

But I still haven't. I don't like Celia...
    Tee hee!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nightmaj View Post
    Also, I predict that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar will convince the cleric to cast Remove Curse. After all, he's a high-level PC and the cleric wants to live, and the spell shouldn't take too long to cast.
    And I predict that after that happens:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar kills Crystal and immediately collapses in a pool of his own freshly produced vomit.
    You said you removed the Mark!
    Cleric: No, I said I removed the curse. It's just going to activate again if you violate the terms of the Mark. Anyhow, you've served your purpose keeping me safe. Thanks and all that, but I don't see any reason to waste anymore valuable spell slots on you.
    BLARG!!! (Attempts (possibly successfully) to kill the cleric and maybe the girls).

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    And I predict that after that happens:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar kills Crystal and immediately collapses in a pool of his own freshly produced vomit.
    You said you removed the Mark!
    Cleric: No, I said I removed the curse. It's just going to activate again if you violate the terms of the Mark. Anyhow, you've served your purpose keeping me safe. Thanks and all that, but I don't see any reason to waste anymore valuable spell slots on you.
    BLARG!!! (Attempts (possibly successfully) to kill the cleric and maybe the girls).
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mark is the curse. Dispelling it gets rid of the whole enchilada.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #255

Its a Greater Mark of Justice spell, unique to OOTS. How it works is entirely up to The Giant.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Haley nonchalantly refers to George as a wife-beater. ... it's a really horrible thing to do, so Haley calling someone who does it merely an ******* doesn't do my feelings on the issue justice.
    The thing is that Haley grew up in Greysky, where the only options were probably join the Thieves' Guild or live in misery. This would have forced her to overlook many horrible things for the sake of calling people like George allies. Otherwise, they would turn against her. Now, however, she has left the guild and has had the freedom to develop her own moral compass. Her realizing that everyone she grew up with is an ******* could be a way of declaring her independence from the guild, her past, and whatever circumstances prevented her from getting close to any good and pure person (Panel 15).
    Last edited by Raging Gene Ray; 2008-10-25 at 05:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

What use is a dog-fighting ring for a Thieves Guild?

Go, Haley!

Echoes of the heart never fade...

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hithros View Post
    Thieves Guilds usually do other organised crime: smuggling, racketeering, illicit gambling etc.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Thief View Post
    But I still haven't. I don't like Celia...
    Nice to know I'm not the only one...
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Thieves Guilds usually do other organised crime: smuggling, racketeering, illicit gambling etc.
    The fact that they sell insurance and and have hitmen means that they're less of a thieves guild and more of a mafia.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Butters_I View Post
    The fact that they sell insurance and and have hitmen means that they're less of a thieves guild and more of a mafia.
    If you ever read Wiseguy (later made into the movie Goodfellas), you'll see that while the mafia was into everything, their primary purpose and method of making money was by stealing it. So, yeah... Thieves' Guild, mafia... Same-same. More-or-less
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The mark is the curse. Dispelling it gets rid of the whole enchilada.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Removing the curse requires the password, which the cleric doesn't have. Temporarily verriding its current effects however may be within his reach of his "healing" spells, of which he has several prepared. Particularly if as he says this is something he's seen a lot of before.

Drawing crowds of marks for pickpockets.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2008-10-26 at 12:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    If you ever read Wiseguy (later made into the movie Goodfellas), you'll see that while the mafia was into everything, their primary purpose and method of making money was by stealing it. So, yeah... Thieves' Guild, mafia... Same-same. More-or-less
    More a matter of symantics than anything else. Thieves guild implies a bunch of thieves who work together to keep each other safe and provide a streamlined way to fence loot.

Mafia implies an aggressive, militant organization that engages very openly in just about every criminal practice that makes money and can potentially become the dominant political organization of a region, usurping the government in deed if not in name. This seems to be what the Greysky racket seems to be.
    Last edited by Lord_Butters_I; 2008-10-26 at 12:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

In addition to the illicit gambling take? Pickpockets.

Lots of people in a confined space, doing something illegal (i.e. watching and gambling on dog-fighting) so they'd be reluctant to talk to authorities afterward, and getting excited so their attention is not on their wallets.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

To those that think Belkar can't be unmarked, #602 panel 9 says he can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless, of course, Roy happened to suggest a different password.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Removing the curse requires the password, which the cleric doesn't have. Temporarily verriding its current effects however may be within his reach of his "healing" spells, of which he has several prepared. Particularly if as he says this is something he's seen a lot of before.
    Hmmm, I thought the implication was that the cleric did know the password. He mentions that he has dealt with thieves from Azure City before, and it seems likely that its the same password every time.

Just like many people use the same password for multiple accounts and things on the internet, when you think of a good one you tend to stick with it. Perhaps Shojo always uses "Squiddlydoodlefluffer" and the clerics of Greysky puzzled it out years ago in order to turn a profit by curing such people.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

The business is profitable? Then the reason is right there.

A criminal organization is simply another organization for the most part [tho since the old pink slip gets that way from your blood, the termination policy kinda blows]. It does what looks profitable. Our criminal organization in large part merely notices that there are large profits in whatever the government makes illegal and marks down 10 years in the slammer as a cost of doing business.
    But criminal organizations will operate legal businesses when they see money in it. So if the dog-fighting business makes money, the guild may be interested.

28. - Top - End - #268

maybe its illegal in Cliffport? It might be, not a Everything is Legal city, but one with Ineffective Police. Hard to say.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Remember Belkar's appetite for bloodshed has been at near starvation levels for months now.
    Sure, but Belkar is sick - you don't act the same way when you feel lousy. And Belkar is sick on the order of 'The Exorcist' sick. It seems hard enough for him to maintain a conversation right now and he seems really out of it. Just like you don't have much of an appetite (for food) when you're puking all the time, maybe he's not as 'hungry' for bloodshed.

Although it would be interesting to see the order of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs as applied to Belkar.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Btw, anyone think Celia's reference to her not being able to be raised is a bad sign?
    Why does this make me think of Ladyhawke for some reason?

You know, like what if

Spoiler
    Show
    Celia is killed during the battle and Ghostly Roy is forced to watch, then he hightails it back to the afterlife to see her (yeah yeah, I know they'd probably end up in different 'neighborhoods' back there but The Giant could make it happen) only to have Roy get resurrected and be all mopey.

Strangers in the night...