New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question [1ed-3.5] What if you wished for the Tarasque "to have the mental capacity to........

While I was reading the D&D Tarasque's Wikipedia article I noticed the following lines in particular:

Tarrasques have low intelligence and cannot speak. They are neutrally aligned, despite their violent and savage nature (they lack the mental capacity to choose between good or evil).

So I got to thinking, what if you wished for the tarasque to have the mental capacity to distinguish/choose between good and evil, instead of adding to the 1001 clever ways of keeping it unconscious?

p.s. Anyone have the Tarasque images from the original 1ed book, and possibly the 2ed stuff as well?
    Last edited by newbDM; 2008-10-24 at 12:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [1ed-3.5] What if you wished for the Tarasque "to have the mental capacity to....

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    So I got to thinking, what if you wished for the tarasque to have the mental capacity to distinguish/choose between good and evil, instead of adding to the 1001 clever ways of keeping it unconscious?
    Hm, well I suppose it depends on how noble the Tarrasque is. It does have to eat to live, though since its an omnivore I can see it making a conscious choice to just eat plants (the non-sentient ones, darn D&D) if it desired to.
    I'd feel a little sorry for the awakened Tarrasque, though. I mean, its the only one of its kind and always will be. Depressing!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [1ed-3.5] What if you wished for the Tarasque "to have the mental capacity to....

You know, it's not too hard to envision an "Awaken Magical Beast" spell...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    I'd feel a little sorry for the awakened Tarrasque, though. I mean, its the only one of its kind and always will be. Depressing!
    Yea, wouldn't want the big T to get all mopey about his situation, start listening to Fall Out Boy, wear black eye liner, and write poetry. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the tarrasque cutting himself, unless he had some pretty epic razor blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

so same intelligence, but aware of good/evil? That would be a bizarre wish.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If I ever use the Tarrasque in a game I'm running, I'll make it a Half-Fiend with Divine Rank 0. Switch its feats for one Improved Toughness and other feats like Improved Flight and Quicken Spell-Like Ability, and give it a few more class skills since it will be getting Outsider skill points, like Hide and Move Silently. That will solve its mobility/flight problems, plus it can use a caster level 48 Blasphemy 1/day. It would probably get to determine the encounter distance instead of the PCs engaging it at their convenience, and it may even get a surprise round on them. It would definitely be evil aligned, as selfish and destructive as it is.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Tschern over on the CharOp forums restated the Big T. He gave him feats like Mageslayer and Pierce Magical Conceilment to get past the most common avoidance methods. Then he gave it like, Open Lesser Chakra and Shaped Soulmeld with something to give it flight. Also, the epic feat Dire Charge to add pounce to its potential 150' rushing charge. Oh, and I think stuff like Snatch and maybe Swallow Whole. It was pretty sick.
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

...And that's how you get Galactus in D&D.

"I do not devour your kind because I choose to do so; I devour your kind because it is in my nature."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Even worse. You want a tarrasque with a good/evil awareness?

A Tarrasque that feels rejection, and guilt?

A SOLITARY, ALONE, UNIQUE among all the creatures of the world Tarrasque that knows loneliness?

What does one do when they feel rejected, guilty, or lonely?

They eat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hmmm... imagine a campaign where the Terrasque did have this kind of intelligence and so it designates a herald to go forth and find tastey villages to eat and warn people of it's eventual arrival.

This could be interesting.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post

"I do not devour your kind because I choose to do so; I devour your kind because it is in my nature."
    Which is why the wizard who awakens him should have one of those infinite food thingys on hand.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Can't the newly-awakened Tarrasque willingly suppress its Spell Resistance, allowing you to Polymorph it into something more acceptable? I don't see immunity to Polymorph on its list. That is, if it's Good. If Evil, we'll need a really big Helm of Opposite Alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You know, it's not too hard to envision an "Awaken Magical Beast" spell...
    Forget that. Just use existing wish mechanics:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Wish
    Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five wish spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.
    Ding, intelligence.

14. - Top - End - #14

My favorite rebuild of the "Big T" that I've seen is the one where it was given a bunch of Martial Studys (or whatever the Tome of Battle feat is called...) so it was able to teleport around like crazy.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Forget that. Just use existing wish mechanics:

Ding, intelligence.
    Wait. Does wish even work on Big T?

Oh yeah, kill condition. Right. Probably the most unusual wish I've seen made on the tarrasque.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if there are other ways of escaping the Tarrasque's wrath via buffing. Is there a way you can make him grow large enough that he can't really see you, for instance?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I wonder if there are other ways of escaping the Tarrasque's wrath via buffing. Is there a way you can make him grow large enough that he can't really see you, for instance?
    Better yet... can we shrink him small enough to put him into say... a bag of holding and just forget about him?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Better yet... can we shrink him small enough to put him into say... a bag of holding and just forget about him?
    and some adventures will find it in a dungeon

"hey guys, look a bag"
    "Dude, what is in it?"
    "Well lets see, credit cards, house key, ticket to an oprea and.......guys"
    from
    EE

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Even better yet... Shove the Bag of Holding into a handy Haversack and let the resulting spacial paradox erase its existence.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Get swallowed, stick a portable hole into the bag of holding, Plane Shift (Stilled) home. Mr. T is no longer a problem for your local plane of existence, no save. Can be done at level 11 by a Cleric with the right items.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Even worse. You want a tarrasque with a good/evil awareness?

A Tarrasque that feels rejection, and guilt?

A SOLITARY, ALONE, UNIQUE among all the creatures of the world Tarrasque that knows loneliness?

What does one do when they feel rejected, guilty, or lonely?

They eat.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Hmmm... imagine a campaign where the Terrasque did have this kind of intelligence and so it designates a herald to go forth and find tastey villages to eat and warn people of it's eventual arrival.

This could be interesting.
    Dude, that is a really cool idea. Since I read it I have debated actually using it.

However, why would the herald warm the tarasque's future meals? If they run, no food. I doubt the buildings would ber very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Can't the newly-awakened Tarrasque willingly suppress its Spell Resistance, allowing you to Polymorph it into something more acceptable? I don't see immunity to Polymorph on its list. That is, if it's Good. If Evil, we'll need a really big Helm of Opposite Alignment.
    But remember, magic items automatically resize.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    and some adventures will find it in a dungeon

"hey guys, look a bag"
    "Dude, what is in it?"
    "Well lets see, credit cards, house key, ticket to an oprea and.......guys"
    from
    EE
    I soooooo want to do that now...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Heck, Baleful Polymorph it into a toad. No offensive abilities worth mentioning, but it keeps HP. Hardest thing to step on, ever.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Heck, Baleful Polymorph it into a toad. No offensive abilities worth mentioning, but it keeps HP. Hardest thing to step on, ever.
    Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.
    Baleful Polymorph allows a Fort save right? Do you know what Big T's Fort save is?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

We're talking CR 20 here. It's perfectly reasonable at that point to have a way to spam 20 5th level spells before it can kill you. Heck, at any level you're still making a profit, even if you just go with scrolls of that and Fly.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Get swallowed, stick a portable hole into the bag of holding, Plane Shift (Stilled) home. Mr. T is no longer a problem for your local plane of existence, no save. Can be done at level 11 by a Cleric with the right items.
    This is awesome.
    Everyone:"OMG! Its the Tarrasque!!!! What do we do?!?!"
    Properly Equipped Cleric: "We... let him EAT ME!"

edit: Wait, are you talking about getting swallowed by Big T or the BoH?
    edit 2: The cleric quote is better when made all anime-like. "We... let him EAAAAAAAAT MEEEEEEE!!!!!"
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2008-10-24 at 11:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Simply untrue. There is a whole planet of them in Spelljammer
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Simply untrue. There is a whole planet of them in Spelljammer
    Yeah, but Spelljammer also had an entire race of Hippo-men and Giant Space Hamsters. Spelljammer is simply too ridiculous to count.

29. - Top - End - #29

Fear the horrendous art work!
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Eldaran; 2008-10-26 at 12:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

I like how the 1e tarrasque can sever someone's torso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting