Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default I drew a monster! Help me stat it up!

Monster Merchant

Monster Merchants loot the corpses of fallen adventurers and sell the items to other adventurers at an inflated price.

OK, so I have the general idea flavorwise, but I'm not sure what direction to go with it in the way of mechanics. Do you guys have any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: I drew a monster! Help me stat it up!

I'm usually all up for writing up a monster based on a small inspiration, but while this is awesome it looks somewhat complicated, and one of the things I have very little knowledge about is treasure and I have almost no experience in monsters who use items extensively. So I won't be of much help.

Question on my mind is what is the actual creature under there. Is it the mimic chest deal?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

That thing needs it's own tables for loot.

I'd give it lots of mind affecting SLA's(helps with costumers and robbers). A super powerful weapon(+9 katana by the looks of it). And a swallow whole thing. And a darkwood body(fast speed to go with it).

But it'll have so much loot it'll be worth it.

For alignment I'f do LN?

But I work in 3.5, don't know about 4.0.

And we need a thread for this sort of thing. I have a drawing of an evil ice cream truck I'd love statted.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2008-10-12 at 02:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This could be applicable with it's own thread. Minor enough not to be sticky though, probably. Enough homebrew stickies already.

Is it a construct? That's the impression I got, although those arms look bodily.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post

And we need a thread for this sort of thing. I have a drawing of an evil ice cream truck I'd love statted.
    Go ahead and post your pic.

Also, while I would prefer 4E stats for Monster Merchant, any ideas are appreciated.
    Also yes, the actual monster under there is the mimic-chest dealie with arms and legs. Instead of eating people though it eats money.
    *edit*
    Construct? Maybe.
    Last edited by chronoplasm; 2008-10-12 at 02:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I officially love this thing. Id be happy to stat it in 3.5, but i you want 4th ed, which im not so good at.

Anyhow thorghts:
    First, i dont think construct does it justice. More likely an aberation with lots covered in inanimate objects. Next, i expect this thing to be low HP but highly armoured and weilding good weaponry, probably 6HD and CR10-ish. Finally, i also agree it needs a loot table all to itself, very random, ranging from minor level artifacts to string with copper tied on it. After all, it loots adventurers, theres got to be some good stuff.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    I officially love this thing. Id be happy to stat it in 3.5, but i you want 4th ed, which im not so good at.
    Out of curiosity, I think I would like to see 3.5 stats if you don't mind. It might still give me some good ideas.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

this could be a Fey type... a greed fey.
    i say solo striker/lurker.
    it could have an immediate interrupt swallow attack, which teleports the swallowed enemy into an unoccupied square with 10 squares (and in sight) of the Monster Merchant. as a secondary part of the attack it could maybe loot one randomly chosen item from the target.
    if it's higher level (15-30) then it could have a at-will minor action power which switches the weapon of the monster, allowing different type of damage and maybe even different powers.
    as for attack powers just copy the mechanics of some ranger/rogue powers but change the flavour. like "dagger spit", a dagger emerges from its mouth and does a "ranged" attack. or like "lances", the chest busts wide open and spears pierce out in all directions doing a close burst attack.
    the "fragile" items on it could be simply sources of temporary hit points. so the potions, barrels and xxx bottle could break (and go to waste) in battle.
    i say it should have awesome STR, CON and DEX.
    Last edited by Rigon; 2008-10-12 at 07:08 AM.
    My combat role is Lurker.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy crap, you've got some good drawin' ability.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

You should know that I've saved this picture, and am intending to unleash it on unsuspecting innocents, unarmed civillians and gamers...

This also strikes me as an abomination. Could you have been inspired by the Luggage?
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like it - This is my take 3.5 I guess

Bondai-Mook
    Demigod of Plenty

Bondai-Mook is the personal dream of poor people and quartermasters. He manifests with plenty of everything a party could need. Huge sacs of food, kegs of good beer and bottles of rum, wine or sake. Tradition says that he will stay at a place until he has run out of an item then travel away to restock. He seldom comes back to the same place.

He is a minor figure in __________ pantheon where he sees to the earthly needs of the deities on their journeys to the prime material plane.

Legend tells of the poor but noble family visited by Bondai-Mook as reward for a great deed. In the morning they awake to find their home filled with fine gold plate, exotic foods and even carpets & tapestry.

Magic Item:

Mook's Dates: These tremendously sweet dates grow only in the oasis of the gods. The smallest part of one is said to clear any hangover and sustain a grown man for a day. Eating a full date grants the user a new save on any poison or disease check from the last week.

Sigurd
    Last edited by sigurd; 2008-10-12 at 02:37 PM.
    Logo by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    This also strikes me as an abomination. Could you have been inspired by the Luggage?
    Partly. The personality is quite different though.
    Yeah, go ahead and use it on your friends.

Sigurd: Cool backstory!

Anyway, I like the fey suggestion. I'm thinking maybe Fey Animate and then come up with some kind of unique keyword for it.
    I like the Lurker suggestion, but I don't know about making it solo. I think it could be interesting to give this guy a little group of buddies, probably kobolds or goblins, and then this guy can be a Leader for the group.
    Perhaps this can grant enchanted weaponry to its pals giving them improved attack, damage, and defenses.
    All the leaders in the monster manual are controllers from what I can see. It might be interesting to have a Lurker (Leader) for a change.

A loot table would certainly be a good idea.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say maybe a Fey Animate (Construct, Leader) or something like that. How's this for a couple of powers?

Swallowing Bite (standard; at-will) ♦ Teleportation
    +X vs. AC; X damage, and the monstrous merchant makes
    a secondary attack. Secondary attack: +Y vs. Reflex; the
    target is teleported to an extra-dimensional pocket within
    the monstrous merchant and trapped until the end of the
    merchant's next turn. A trapped creature is removed from
    combat entirely and cannot be the target of any powers,
    friendly or otherwise. Upon being released, one randomly
    determined item in the target's possession is removed and
    held by the merchant until the end of the encounter.

{table=head]Roll | Item Taken
    1 | Ritual Components
    2 | Potion or Alchemical Item
    3 | Item in Glove, Mask, Foot, or Arm item slot
    4 | Item stored in backpack
    5 | Item in off-hand shield, second weapon, etc.)
    6 | Stored melee weapon or implement
    7 | Primary melee weapon or implement
    8 | Two items; roll twice, ignoring any other 8s
    [/table]

A monstrous merchant can only have one trapped
    creature inside it at once.

Share the Wealth (minor; recharge , )
    The monster merchant eats a random magic weapon from
    its extra-dimensional interior (though not the items stolen
    from players with its Swallowing Bite ability) and distributes
    some of that combat magic to nearby allies. Close burst 5;
    allies in the burst gain a +1d3 power bonus on attack and
    damage rolls until the end of the monster merchants next turn.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-10-12 at 01:15 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I think Share the Wealth is a little unfair together with Swallowing Bite as it allows the monster to take someones weapon, then devour it to power up its allies. Players might be OK with losing their toys for an encounter, but this makes it so that they can possibly lose their toys forever.

I like Swallowing Bite, but I think Share the Wealth might push it too far over the edge.

Good work though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Did you actually draw that?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chronoplasm View Post
    I think Share the Wealth is a little unfair together with Swallowing Bite as it allows the monster to take someones weapon, then devour it to power up its allies. Players might be OK with losing their toys for an encounter, but this makes it so that they can possibly lose their toys forever.

I like Swallowing Bite, but I think Share the Wealth might push it too far over the edge.

Good work though.

Oh, yeah, I should probably clarify - it doesn't use the PCs weapons to fuel Share the Wealth, it uses the random other items it has. How is it if that's the case?

Edit: Share the Wealth has been changed now to reflect that.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-10-12 at 01:16 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Oh, yeah, I should probably clarify - it doesn't use the PCs weapons to fuel Share the Wealth, it use the random other items it has. How is it if that's the case?
    Sounds OK, but I'd think this guy would want to keep his merchandise so he can sell it to somebody else after looting these adventurers.
    Perhaps instead of eating a weapon, this creature gives the weapon to a nearby ally to power up its attacks?

18. - Top - End - #18

I think you need a special at will ability:

Spit Something.

With a guffwuff the figure spits something in the direction of his assailant.

1-3 - random equipment (1 in 10 chance of it being game affecting)
    2-4 - food or missile item (1-2) 1-3dm (2-4) 1-6dm (5) 1-8dm (6) Paint, cloth net or area affecting item.
    3-6 - Arrow (1-4) Normal (5) Silver (6) Blessed

Equipment Loyalty

Between his many items and innate magic for item collection this creature's magic affects weapons used against it. Weapons attacking him dull faster and break more readily.
    Last edited by sigurd; 2008-10-12 at 02:35 PM.
    Logo by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

if the monster sells weapons, and such. Could it be possible for the pcs to trade with it instead of battling it perhaps requiring a high enough skill check in diplomacy?
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dublock View Post
    if the monster sells weapons, and such. Could it be possible for the pcs to trade with it instead of battling it perhaps requiring a high enough skill check in diplomacy?
    Certainly!

The whole point is that players have the option to either fight or trade.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ideas!

1) Three varieties of merchant monster:
    • Copper Merchant for heroic tier.
    • Silver Merchant for paragon tier.
    • Gold Merchant for epic tier.

2) Whenever a player makes a non-psychic, non-fear attack roll against the monster, that player, that player consults a table. Depending on what that player rolls, an item from the monsters inventory will be destroyed and a random effect will be triggered.
    Possible effects:

1. Merchant regains 50 hit points and loses a potion.
    2. Merchant deals 10 fire damage to each creature in close burst 3 and loses a magic weapon.
    3. Merchant deals 10 cold damage to each creature in close burst 3 and loses a magic weapon.
    4. Merchant deals 10 acid damage to each creature in close burst 3 and loses a magic weapon.
    5. Merchant regains 25 hit points and loses a potion.
    6. Merchant summons an orc drudge to an adjacent square and loses a wondrous item.
    7. Merchant summons a zombie rotter to an adjacent square and loses a wondrous item.
    8. Merchant summons a kruthnik hatchling to an adjacent square and loses a wondrous item.
    9. Merchant summons a giant rat to an adjacent square and loses a wondrous item.
    10. Merchant regains 10 hit points and loses a potion.
    11. Each creature in close burst 1 gets -1 reflex until end of the encounter and loses a foot item.
    12. Each creature in close burst 1 gets -1 fortitude until end of the encounter and loses an arm item.
    13. Each creature in close burst 1 gets -1 will until end of the encounter and loses a head item.
    14. Each creature in close burst 1 gets -1 AC until end of the encounter and loses a waist item.
    15. Merchant regains 5 hit points and loses a potion.

If you roll 16-20, or merchant doesn't have an item of the specified type to lose, then no effect.
    Last edited by chronoplasm; 2008-10-12 at 09:27 PM.
    Eat & Run
    Prerequisites: Con 13
    Benefit: You may eat an entire chicken, ham, or steak to spend a healing surge as a minor action. Instead of the hit points you would normally regain, you regain 10 hit points.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay chronoplasm, I have a question that is just a little off to one side of this topic, but has got my brain vibrating and it just won't stop.

Why the heck is the date on the drawing 12,008? And what is H.E.?

Inquiring minds (namely my own) want to know.

Oh, ohhh, Midnight Star.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Wanna check out all the nifty Homebrews I've done? Click Here! Hurry!

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

Come on in and give a shout out from where ever you are!!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sweet. I have no stats to contribute, but I will say that someone needs to also stat up a 4th ed Mimic, because this thing reminds me of the most awesome idea of a Mimic ever.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpark View Post
    Okay chronoplasm, I have a question that is just a little off to one side of this topic, but has got my brain vibrating and it just won't stop.

Why the heck is the date on the drawing 12,008? And what is H.E.?

Inquiring minds (namely my own) want to know.

Oh, ohhh, Midnight Star.
    Holocene era. I refuse to use the Gregorian calendar as it offends my lack of religion. I base my dating system on the approximate end of the ice age.
    Eat & Run
    Benefit: You may eat an entire chicken, ham, or steak to spend a healing surge as a minor action. Instead of the hit points you would normally regain, you regain 10 hit points.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I have to say like everyone else that this seems alot like a more sentient mimic.

Bear in mind, Mimics speak common, and have an int of 10, even though most DM's treat them as tradtional mindless monsters (and ALWAYS disguised as a chest). The fluff around mimics is that they were (possibly) created by a long forgotten wizard.

Here are some ideas based on the mimics.

Is this a unique creature?

If so, he could:
    1) Be the wizard, transformed by the same spell that made the first mimics.
    (Make him a regular mimic and give him class levels of Wizard).

2) He is a particularly intelligent Mimic who has a greater grasp of human society and is currently trying to fit in.

3) He is the original mimic, who is trying as best he can to continue to fill the purpose his master set out for him. Other mimics are the result of the spell gone wrong and were never given any "real" instruction as to how to behave, behave more simply.

Is this creature "widespread"?

If so:
    1) You could argue he is a "male" mimic, and that other traditional mimics are female. You could argue the males are enticed by females who have some piece of impressive loot/magical item left over from an adventurer, and you could argue that they go around collecting those items as payment for their "services".

You could also tag on something else which makes these male mimics attractive to females. What do they use the gold for when they get it? I would say they continue to buy more goods to adorn themselves with to make it look like they have had more conquests than they really have. The female mimics then have a tendency to think "Well if he's been with that many girls they must see something in him". This could also be why he attacks adventurers or waits for them to die before looting their corpses.

26. - Top - End - #26

Well, I honestly can't contribue much, I just wanted to stop by and say awesome drawing.

Also: Isn't your Holocene Era date off by a couple thousand of years? It ended just about ten thousands years ago, I though, not twelve thousand.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Medium Fey Construct is my vote.
    Around Level 3-8, I think, as merchants can't be too strong

Here's my idea for an at-will power. It may have to be adjusted to fit the level
    Quarterstaff (Basic Melee) (Standard Action, At-Will)
    +X vs. Ac; 1d8 damage; on a hit, roll 1d10, and consult the following table
    1 - Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
    2 - The Monster Merchant gains cumulative resist 5 lightning damage until it is bloodied or until the end of the encounter
    3 - The attack deals force damage and pushes the target 1 square
    4 - The target is dazed until the end of the monster merchant's next turn
    5 - The target takes an additional 5 cold damage and is slowed (save ends)
    6 - The Monster Merchant slides the target 3 squares and knocks them prone
    7 - The target is marked
    8 - The target takes a -2 penalty to Fortitude defense
    9 - The target is restrained (save ends)
    10 - The target begins to dance (save ends)

And a Ranged Basic that throws a random potion could function on the same principle.

Oh, and here's an idea for a self-defense mechanism
    Every Square the Monster Merchant passes through becomes difficult terrain until the end of its next turn. It is not slowed by this terrain.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthazaq View Post
    Well, I have to say like everyone else that this seems alot like a more sentient mimic.
    My thoughts exactly, and mimic need more love, in this case literally. Your interpretation of the mimic would bring a whole new meaning to "check out your wares" (okay, a more punerific meaning).

The fact that Mimics are essentially adhesive would explain how it can carry so much. If it's using it's adhesive to carry everything, alcohol would make it naked pretty quick. Presumably, it wouldn't carry alcohol for that reason (unfortunately, because it could make a killing off drunken adventurers).

Here's a thought, the monster can gain the benefits of its magic items and has more magic item slot than a regular creature (this might raise it's LA significantly though). It would be hard to balance if you just gave it whatever it randomly rolled up, so if we went this route I'd suggest making a couple of preset configurations which are roughly balanced against each other, and the different configurations could lead to different combat styles.

I really like the idea of swallowing equipment and spitting it back out. It could disarm creatures or eat smaller ones and use their own equipment against them. Awesome picture by the way, I decided when I looked at it that if the rest of the thread didn't come up with a neat creature, I would.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-10-13 at 07:51 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Medium Fey Construct is my vote.
    Around Level 3-8, I think, as merchants can't be too strong

Here's my idea for an at-will power. It may have to be adjusted to fit the level
    I think this idea could be more elegant.
    Instead of rolling a separate die when it hits to determine effect, you use one single d10 to determine both damage and effect. This way it speeds things up a little bit.

Free Sample (standard, at-will). Wonder.
    Ranged 10; +15 vs. AC; 1d10 damage and consult the following table.
    1. Roll again!
    2. Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
    3. Ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends)
    4. Ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends)
    5. The target takes a -1 penalty to fortitude defense.
    6. The target takes a -1 penalty to reflex defense.
    7. The target takes a -1 penalty to will defense.
    8. The target takes a -1 penalty to AC defense.
    9. The target takes on the appearance of a chicken (see Change Shape, Monster Manual page 280)
    10. No effect.
    Last edited by chronoplasm; 2008-10-13 at 09:33 PM.
    Eat & Run

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chronoplasm View Post
    I think this idea could be more elegant.
    Instead of rolling a separate die when it hits to determine effect, you use one single d10 to determine both damage and effect. This way it speeds things up a little bit.

Free Sample (standard, at-will). Wonder.
    Ranged 10; +15 vs. AC; 1d10 damage and consult the following table.
    1. Roll again!
    2. Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
    3. Ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends)
    4. Ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends)
    5. The target takes a -1 penalty to fortitude defense.
    6. The target takes a -1 penalty to reflex defense.
    7. The target takes a -1 penalty to will defense.
    8. The target takes a -1 penalty to AC defense.
    9. The target takes on the appearance of a chicken (see Change Shape, Monster Manual page 280)
    10. No effect.
    I like it, but I think that the 10 should be the best effect. Highest damage + best effect would make this thing's criticals all the more brutal. Speaking of criticals, maybe make it so that all of the effects are applied on a critical? That would make it truly devastating for unlucky PCs...
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!