Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Fun with Bags of Holding

Okay, so I have a question, and then I have an idea.

Question: What happens when you turn a bag of holding inside out?

Idea: Anyone have funny stories/situations/fictional encounters involving bags of holding and random non-sense? I would like to get an idea of all the crazy stuff my PCs will be able to get away with once I eventually DM.

My first thoughts:

Driders on the ceiling. With Bags of Holding. Full of Anvils. Hilarity ensues.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Fun with Bags of Holding

Once turned inside out the (large) portion of the bag that was in the astral plane is now on the material plane, and the smaller part that was in the material plane is now in the astral plane, all things are now spilled out of it, and you have a large sack that can only fit a very small amount within.

This is how I've always understood it at least.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Question: What happens when you turn a bag of holding inside out?
    "If a bag of holding is turned inside out, its contents spill out, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again."

Which, you know, does nasty stuff with the falling damage rules... especially if you first cast Shrink Item on the stuff, and drop it all on top of someone who just cast Antimagic Field....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

we smuggled an army into a city using a bag......and dropped it by mistake into a gutter
    from
    EE

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I prefer using either Dispel Magic or Antimagic Field for smuggling. You take the bag, dis-enchant it temporarily, put stuff in the (now mundane) sack, then a portal springs up over the mouth keeping anyone from getting to the secret stash.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like using them as vacuums. 250 cubic feet of space that by RAW is evacuated of all its contents when you turn the bag inside out. Turn it right side out and you all the sudden have a very nice vacuum.

Great for quickly getting that massive pile of treasure picked up when you are robbing that dragon.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    I like using them as vacuums. 250 cubic feet of space that by RAW is evacuated of all its contents when you turn the bag inside out. Turn it right side out and you all the sudden have a very nice vacuum.

Great for quickly getting that massive pile of treasure picked up when you are robbing that dragon.
    Thank you, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. And I game with engineering and physics majors, they'd both understand and approve.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

My group came up with a custom magic item: The Tea-Bag of Holding.

To use it, you turn it upside down over your fallen foe, open it, and, well . . . I'm sure you can imagine the rest.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Thank you, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. And I game with engineering and physics majors, they'd both understand and approve.
    Catgirls.

I seem to recall a time when turning a bag of holding inside out destroyed it permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    we smuggled an army into a city using a bag......and dropped it by mistake into a gutter
    from
    EE
    Man, your 'sig' is obnoxious. You have a signature you can set without pasting that into every post, you know.

What kind of army and what kind of bag of holding? The bag of holding IV only holds up to 1,500 pounds before it ruptures. I assume shrinking was involved. Can you elaborate? I want to know how to accomplish this for my own ends.

My group once used a bag of holding to transport a party member who had been injured (or poisoned or cursed or something) to the point where hie really couldn't walk. Rather than sticking him into the bag entirely and risk suffocation, we cinched it just under his armpits and carried him around. When he needed to manage something on his own, he would simply walk around in his hands. We tended to freak the NPCs out.
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2008-10-24 at 11:41 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPCs doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    \

Man, your 'sig' is obnoxious. You have a signature you can set without pasting that into every post, you know.
    Yes, i can't imagine the massive emotional damage reading two words must cause you on a regular basis
    What kind of army and what kind of bag of holding? The bag of holding IV only holds up to 1,500 pounds before it ruptures. I assume shrinking was involved. Can you elaborate? I want to know how to accomplish this for my own ends.
    50 troops, a specialized greater bag of holding (holds thirce the normal amount), shrink the people involved and equpite them mostly with mithril. The bag was also specialized so you could breath in it

from
    EE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

[QUOTE=Irreverent Fool;5169615]Man, your 'sig' is obnoxious. You have a signature you can set without pasting that into every post, you know.

You are only feeding his power. He lives off of this!

I was more curious how you accidently loss it?

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, i can't imagine the massive emotional damage reading two words must cause you on a regular basis
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trust me, I'd ignore it if I could. Your frequent disregard for punctuation and occasional atrocities against syntax make your appended signature appear to be a continuance of your posts and before I can stop myself I've read it and tried to find some way in my mind for "from EE" to make sense at the end of the sentence. Then the glimpses of the Elder Ones start flashing through my mind and it all goes black for awhile... seriously though, you've got your name over there above your avatar (a splendid avatar, I might add) and an actual signature field. I don't understand your need to add additional lines to every post. But since we all know there's no reasoning with EvilElitist, let's just spoiler this rant and pretend appealing to both your sense of aesthetics and common courtesy will do a lick of good.

50 troops, a specialized greater bag of holding (holds thirce the normal amount), shrink the people involved and equpite them mostly with mithril. The bag was also specialized so you could breath in it

from
    EE
    Ah. So in other words: The typical "we can't be bothered to actually track what we've packed into this thing" bag of holding that my parties generally end up with. What happened to those poor guys? Losing an army can't be good for your Leadership score.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2008-10-25 at 05:20 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPCs doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Trust me, I'd ignore it if I could. Your frequent disregard for punctuation and occasional atrocities against syntax make your appended signature appear to be a continuance of your posts and before I can stop myself I've read it and tried to find some way in my mind for "from EE" to make sense at the end of the sentence. Then the glimpses of the Elder Ones start flashing through my mind and it all goes black for awhile... seriously though, you've got your name over there above your avatar (a splendid avatar, I might add) and an actual signature field. I don't understand your need to add additional lines to every post. But since we all know there's no reasoning with EvilElitist, let's just spoiler this rant and pretend appealing to both your sense of aesthetics and common courtesy will do a lick of good.

Ah. So in other words: The typical "we can't be bothered to actually track what we've packed into this thing" bag of holding that my parties generally end up with. What happened to those poor guys? Losing an army can't be good for your Leadership score.

obnoxious
    sig
    Now, while I agree that I find the "From EE" thing a bit... grating. I will step up to defend EE (!!!!) on the spelling thing here. I believe he mentioned in a thread once that he didn't have a spell check in his browser/was dyslexic. Also, a number of playgrounders have ESL so I mean... lets not be jerks about spelling. We all know what he's saying, it isn't like he's writing in Greek or something.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Now, while I agree that I find the "From EE" thing a bit... grating. I will step up to defend EE (!!!!) on the spelling thing here. I believe he mentioned in a thread once that he didn't have a spell check in his browser/was dyslexic. Also, a number of playgrounders have ESL so I mean... lets not be jerks about spelling. We all know what he's saying, it isn't like he's writing in Greek or something.
    My apologies.

obnoxious
    sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

My players in a game I was running used a bag of holding to transport themselves across a gap in a dungeon by stuffing everyone in and having the wizard use a spider climb spell to move across the ceiling.

I thought this was a creative way to get around it, now I only wish they would find uses for a bag of devouring that do not involve murder.

16. - Top - End - #16

Μάλλον ναι!

बहुत बहुत!

Kh như vậy!
    The OmegaDex, the complete index to just about everything related to Star Wars Saga Edition.

"Waspinator not want to be destroyed! Waspinator has plans!"
    -Waspinator, Transformers Beast Wars

"When was it that the twerps were chosen for this mission?"
    "It was when the mission became scary!"
    -Team Rocket, Pokemon

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."
    -Dragonmech designer

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got an Eithral Filcher monk//swordsage in a game around here.
    So far, he's got two bodies in his bag of holding.
    One: The mysterious masked warlock//sorcerer who got turned into a ghost by some weird little swarms,
    and
    The annoying Cleric//paladin who's soul I bet with a Vult on a game of dice.

It's surprisingly fun, because I'm going to have him put on a puppet show once he's got enough bodies.

obnoxious
    sig
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

EE, your sig is obnoxious. It irks me way more than it seems like it should, given that it's about as harmless as it is pointless. (We know who your posts are from, your screen name is right there in the lefthand column next to them.) I don't know why, but I'm betting this is a common reaction. If you don't believe me, poll people on this. I bet you'll find that a surprising number/percentage say "Yeah, that bugs me, stop doing it."

Unless you keep ending your posts with that in order to annoy people, in which case mission accomplished. (Given that there's no readily apparent other reason for you to do it, this seems reasonably likely.)

I believe he mentioned in a thread once that he didn't have a spell check in his browser/was dyslexic.
    Firefox is free. If you're going to put up a bunch of Walls o' Text, you really should consider making a bit of an effort to make them fairly readable. If they take extra effort to parse, that just encourages people to ignore them, which defeats the purpose of producing them in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

[spoiler]Trust me, I'd ignore it if I could. Your frequent disregard for punctuation and occasional atrocities against syntax make your appended signature appear to be a continuance of your posts and
    1) Dyslexia.....
    2) How is it a countenance? its a line below, obviously another statement

before I can stop myself I've read it and tried to find some way in my mind for "from EE" to make sense at the end of the sentence. Then the glimpses of the Elder Ones start flashing through my mind and it all goes black for awhile... seriously though, you've got your name over there above your avatar (a splendid avatar, I might add) and an actual signature field. I don't understand your need to add additional lines to every post.
    I like the sense of compilation and its unique. I really don't see why people make a big deal out of it, it doesnt hurt you in any way, it certainly doesn't make any offensive statement, and it really has not offensive manner to it, so the complaints always seem rather petty. Thanks for the avatar compliment
    But since we all know there's no reasoning with EvilElitist, let's just spoiler this rant and pretend appealing to both your sense of aesthetics and common courtesy will do a lick of good.
    First off, no need to insult me, second off, you have an absurd double standard. There is no reasoning with me, when there isn't any actual validity to the complaint, that doesn't render me entirely unreasonable. And considering you've just insulted me, talking about common courtesy is rather ironic. On that note, how is not adding "from EE" a common Courtesy. Insulting people's integrity is not common courtesy, derailing the thread with personal complaints is not common courtesy, but not writing a finish?

Basically, the party was searched, a problem happened when a guard reached in to see what was in side, When his arm when up to his shoulder, he realized there was a problem. The wizard hit him in the face with a book, the guard punched him, the bag well into the gutter. The soldiers thought they were attacking, so came out of the bag in the aqueduct system, so suddenly 50 armed screaming soldiers came out of the city fountain. Ironically, they came out in the senate building, and caused a lot of chaos, but were killed (the original plan was to open the city gates) but hte last three hid in the bag again, which was swept away in the fighting. Bad day

obnoxious
    sig
    I didn't realize that we were back in grade school.

EE, your sig is obnoxious. It irks me way more than it seems like it should, given that it's about as harmless as it is pointless. (We know who your posts are from, your screen name is right there in the lefthand column next to them.) I don't know why, but I'm betting this is a common reaction. If you don't believe me, poll people on this. I bet you'll find that a surprising number/percentage say "Yeah, that bugs me, stop doing it."
    1) yes, because two bloody words on the end of the post is so going to hurt you. Can people come up with reason for this other than "Wah, its obnoxious, i can't go on". Yes, its redundant, but why should that bother you. i like having a sense of completion at the end of my posts, so why should that bother you
    2) I don't give a damn what public option on the matter is. I won't stop that over something so petty, when there isn't any valid complaint

Unless you keep ending your posts with that in order to annoy people, in which case mission accomplished. (Given that there's no readily apparent other reason for you to do it, this seems reasonably likely.)
    Reasonably likely? Considering how harmless the statement is, i fail to see how that makes sense. If i wanted to annoy people, i'm sure i could find a much more valid way of doing that

Firefox is free. If you're going to put up a bunch of Walls o' Text, you really should consider making a bit of an effort to make them fairly readable. If they take extra effort to parse, that just encourages people to ignore them, which defeats the purpose of producing them in the first place
    can i tell the next cripple i see that he isn't trying hard enough? And yes, i have firefox

Asbesos, just don't make a habit of it, if we agree to much who knows what might be destroyed
    from
    EE

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern_55 View Post
    Once turned inside out the (large) portion of the bag that was in the astral plane is now on the material plane, and the smaller part that was in the material plane is now in the astral plane, all things are now spilled out of it, and you have a large sack that can only fit a very small amount within.

This is how I've always understood it at least.
    The bag of holding doesn't open into astral space. It's extra dimensional space not linked to a plane.

Anyway. A fun thing to do is take a bag of holding put it over an appendenge of a creature and then puncturing the bag. The limb is now "lost forever".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Do that with the head 'appendage', and it is even MORE fun.
    Kind of messy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I like the sense of compilation and its unique. I really don't see why people make a big deal out of it, it doesnt hurt you in any way, it certainly doesn't make any offensive statement, and it really has not offensive manner to it, so the complaints always seem rather petty.

<snip>

1) yes, because two bloody words on the end of the post is so going to hurt you. Can people come up with reason for this other than "Wah, its obnoxious, i can't go on". Yes, its redundant, but why should that bother you. i like having a sense of completion at the end of my posts, so why should that bother you
    2) I don't give a damn what public option on the matter is. I won't stop that over something so petty, when there isn't any valid complaint
    Of course we don't have a justification, it's an involuntary emotional reaction. I don't know exactly what mental machinery is producing my response or why, I just know what the response is. No one (that I know of) is saying that your sig is objectively bad or wrong, we're reporting how it makes us feel. How is "That's surprisingly annoying, please stop it" any less legitimate than "No, I like it, so I'm going to keep doing it"? You don't have any reason for what you're doing other than your own feelings either, from what I can see.

We're making an "invalid" complaint only in the sense that we can't point to any rules violation. In the sense of expressing actual dislike, we're making an entirely valid complaint, believe me. (If there's yet another relevant type of validity to which you were referring, feel free to clarify.) Being bothered by something seems like sufficient justification to ask someone to stop it. Not sufficient justification to coerce compliance, of course, that's a horse of a different color.

In short, we're complaining because it is hurtful, in a very broad sense of the word: It causes displeasure. You are under no obligation to respect our preferences, but if you don't, then don't be surprised if others are unwilling to respect yours.

can i tell the next cripple i see that he isn't trying hard enough?
    Whether that's appropriate depends on how hard he is trying, no?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    How is "That's surprisingly annoying, please stop it" any less legitimate than "No, I like it, so I'm going to keep doing it"?
    ah, therin lies the problem, legitimate or not, "No, I like it, so I'm going to keep doing it" trumps "That's surprisingly annoying, please stop it" because the complainer has no direct control of the what the complainee does

I've got no major problem with EE's sig, it keeps catching me but mostly I can skim over it.
    I just found the idea of playing Devil's Advocate to someone called Devil's Advocate somewhat amusing :D
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

It annoys me as well. The sig space at the bottom of posts is there for a reason. Among other things, it makes a perfectly reasonable place to put your SIGNATURE. I don't know why it bugs me when people don't do that, but it does. The lack of spelling and grammar annoys me, but more because I compulsively spell-check my posts. Firefox does it automatically, it would make them much easier to read if you'd use it.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It annoys me as well. The sig space at the bottom of posts is there for a reason. Among other things, it makes a perfectly reasonable place to put your SIGNATURE. I don't know why it bugs me when people don't do that, but it does. The lack of spelling and grammar annoys me, but more because I compulsively spell-check my posts. Firefox does it automatically, it would make them much easier to read if you'd use it.
    Chrome has spellcheck too.

Somewhat less comprehensive, but it's still useful.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, EE, your little siggy is a bit of an annoyance. I think I know why. It might sound a bit insulting.
    I think that we posters who dislike it think that there's a bit of arrogance, a bit of... elitism... behind putting it there. As has been said, your name is RIGHT THERE on the right. We don't need you to tell us who just typed that. Now, if the board were anonymous, it'd be different. But you have an account for a reason. Adding "From EE" just makes me feel like you think you have to make it extra clear who said it. It feels elitist and that bugs me. I'm not saying to stop, as I have no such right, just that this may be the reason for others' displeasure.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxation View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, EE, your little siggy is a bit of an annoyance. I think I know why. It might sound a bit insulting.
    I think that we posters who dislike it think that there's a bit of arrogance, a bit of... elitism... behind putting it there. As has been said, your name is RIGHT THERE on the right. We don't need you to tell us who just typed that. Now, if the board were anonymous, it'd be different. But you have an account for a reason. Adding "From EE" just makes me feel like you think you have to make it extra clear who said it. It feels elitist and that bugs me. I'm not saying to stop, as I have no such right, just that this may be the reason for others' displeasure.
    It never quite bothered me enough to post about, but it is a bit patronizing.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Sooo...back on the topic at hand. Fun things to do is stuff premade iron golems before they are enchanted...enchant them inside the bag and turn it inside out at enemies. Projectiles of DEATH!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

where does it say things are expelled with force? I thought it pretty much dumped everything out at your feet
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

On what seems be the suprisingly agile underdog topic of the day: EE's 'not-actually-a-sig' sig.

It hasn't really ever annoyed me, and it actually raises my repect for him, marginally. One comment was that it merely adds a few lines to his post. As previously noted, he could just put 'from EE' in his sig. However...there would still be the same amount, or, I beleive, slightly more space taken up. Instead of putting it in his sig, he goes to the trouble of typing those extra 7 characters, every time. Good to him, I say.

And, on the original topic: Bags of Holding. One group I've had were on a mission to asssassinate a prince. A bunch of the PC's tried the obvious tactic of barging in and trying to fight their way in. The Gnomish rogue/sorcerer, however, had a better plan. First opportunity, he knocks out a human guard, drags him away, strips him, and casts shrink item on the uniform, which now roughly fits him. He dons the uniform, and pops back out and, when he sees a bunch of guard running off, correctly assumes that their going to protect the prince. He follows, and kills them. He then wanders until he finds a guard, and asks where the princes bedroom was (I've only been here two days! I don't konw where anything is! Please! I've got to help him!). When shown, he then slays the helpful-but-slightly-dimwitted guard. He then runs in, slams the door, and locks it. He describes the situation to the prince (they're here to kill you, but I've got a way you can escape!) and offers a way out: a combination of a bag of holding, and a bottle of air. Climb in, and breathe through the bottle. The prince, desperate to escape (after a loud explosion is heard, fairly close), climbs in. Then the Gnome sneaks off at first opportunity to claim the reward for hisself. How did he assassinate the prince? It was an ordinary bottle.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*