New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

eek Help me draw again !

I cant seem to work off enough motivation to transfer my schetches to my computer. That saddens me because I really want to draw but every time I start it feels more like torture than pleasure.

Can you guys help me ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help me draw again !

Join ABR.

I always want to do ABR comics more than SnD for some reason now.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tired N' Drowzy View Post
    Join ABR.

I always want to do ABR comics more than SnD for some reason now.
    Was part of it ever since ABR 3.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Join ABR.
    Quoted for the truth

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobold

Basically, ABR was one of the reasons I lost my interest in drawing in the first place.

Witl all the new plots and stuff, random kills were stuff of the past. And the lower and lower quality of art made me stay away from ABR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Browse the request thread for interesting requests. It's what I do when I have a block and haven't drawn something in a while and have no standing requests.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Witl all the new plots and stuff, random kills were stuff of the past. And the lower and lower quality of art made me stay away from ABR.
    Yes! I am not the only one who had this problem!

Thankyou! Thankyou! *hugs bayar*
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

8. - Top - End - #8

That's why you ignore those people. Look at me: I've interacted with three characters total. Yes. That's it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

It isn't the artwork that bothers me. It's the fact that it isn't as fun as when there was utter chaos.

I was one of the original artists for Avatar Battle Royale. When it was just random killing, which is much more fun. At least, it is in my opinion. Plus, you can just jump in, kill someone, then go do something else elsewhere. No running obligation, meaning people can come and go when they please.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    It isn't the artwork that bothers me. It's the fact that it isn't as fun as when there was utter chaos.

I was one of the original artists for Avatar Battle Royale. When it was just random killing, which is much more fun. At least, it is in my opinion. Plus, you can just jump in, kill someone, then go do something else elsewhere. No running obligation, meaning people can come and go when they please.
    Random Killing still goes, it's just non-canon as regards the plot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

But it's just you. All by yourself. Being ignored. I jump in and kill some peeps on occasion, but since it's for the most part completely ignored it ain't much fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Yeh. What Dr. Bath said.

Being alone isn't the most fun thing in the world.

Also, pointless drawing can also get old too. I can imagine Random Killing getting old and making art torture if that's ALL you do.

I suggest you either:

A) Add to one of the many ABR sub-plots or make your own sub-plot, or B) Make some other kind of comic, like a backstory comic or something.

Both of these things will add meaning to your drawing, and something to look forward to. Especially when you have thought of something really cool and you can look forward to that plot point in an ongoing story.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Yeh. What Dr. Bath said.

Also, pointless drawing can also get old too. I can imagine Random Killing getting old and making art torture if that's ALL you do.

I suggest you either:

A) Add to one of the many ABR sub-plots or make your own sub-plot, or B) Make some other kind of comic, like a backstory comic or something.

Both of these things will add meaning to your drawing, and something to look forward to. Especially when you have thought of something really cool and you can look forward to that plot point in an ongoing story.
    Fixed for everyone's sanity's sake.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Yeh. What Dr. Bath said.

I suggest you either:

See, here is where all the dispute is. ABR was first intended for practice, to learn how to draw. It didnt mattered (and still doesnt matter) how awful your drawings were. You only had to kill TPAY. It didnt get old for 3 whole threads.

The plot being way TOO complicated now with all the random crap going on, that is what's causing art torture. And everyone would agree that when Squark joined, everyone else trying to add to the plot got migrenes.

Make a new plot ? Tell me, who is currently contributing to SDSB ? Who is contributing to the 3rd plot ? How many Sprite Wars comics not drawn by you, Q, are being posted on a weekly basis ? Yeah, that answers that question.

I had attempts to make comics, and all died after less than 10 issues. Not viable.

Also, you are forgetting that I was involved in ABR even before you joined the forums, so yeah, great advice there...

Will try to follow Castaras's advice and draw an avatar for Banjo now.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

See, here is where all the dispute is. ABR was first intended for practice, to learn how to draw. It didnt mattered (and still doesnt matter) how awful your drawings were. You only had to kill TPAY. It didnt get old for 3 whole threads.
    I know that, but jeez, so what? Plot is fun for most people! That's why so many people do it and still do it and why it got so complicated.

The plot being way TOO complicated now with all the random crap going on, that is what's causing art torture. And everyone would agree that when Squark joined, everyone else trying to add to the plot got migrenes.
    Well, I wasn't in ABR when Squark joined, but I have to say that while the plot may be VERY complicated, I really don't think that matters a whole lot.

In terms of FUN, I really don't think you have to pay attention to what else is going on as long as you have you own thing to concentrate on.

Make a new plot ? Tell me, who is currently contributing to SDSB ? Who is contributing to the 3rd plot ? How many Sprite Wars comics not drawn by you, Q, are being posted on a weekly basis ?
    I think you're missing the point. It's for FUN! It dosen't matter if it dosen't last very long, as long as you get some kicks.

Yeah, that answers that question.
    How? What question?

I had attempts to make comics, and all died after less than 10 issues. Not viable.
    Well I suppose not, then. But still, it was only a suggestion and it certainly helps me when things get boring.

Also, you are forgetting that I was involved in ABR even before you joined the forums, so yeah, great advice there...
    That has.......what to do with anything?
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2008-11-02 at 02:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Got to agree with cassy and bayar on this one. Abr does that for me as well, thats why i keep quitting. Back before all these flipping plots and even more so all the moderation you lot are doing it used to be great for a laugh. Anyone could contribute anything to it and it wasnt immediatly ignored by everyone or quoted with a picture of a cannon beneath it. If there were less people desperate to make sure they're exact plot and nothing else was the way forward then it might be easier, but the simple fact of being able to lable something non-canon seems to have made me alot less interessted in it all together.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

I know that, but jeez, so what? Plot is fun for most people! That's why so many people do it and still do it and why it got so complicated.
    True that.

Well, I wasn't in ABR when Squark joined, but I have to say that while the plot may be VERY complicated, I really don't think that matters a whole lot.
    When someone says "I am a god, I blow up the citadel of Bis Anu and teleport everybody inside to an identical copy of the citadel while I blow up and everybody honours me because I am a god and a hero"...it is shadowing all the hard work put into the whole thing until that point by everybody involved....

In terms of FUN, I really don't think you have to pay attention to what else is going on as long as you have you own thing to concentrate on.
    And ABR is the perfect illustration of this.

I think you're missing the point. It's for FUN! It dosen't matter if it dosen't last very long, as long as you get some kicks.
    Yeah, but it ends up like a comic with one artist contributing, and I would find that depressing, really.

How? What question?
    "A) Add to one of the many ABR sub-plots or make your own sub-plot"

Well I suppose not, then. But still, it was only a suggestion and it certainly helps me when things get boring.
    I have a lot of scripts ready for comics. The only problem is that i dont know how to make the first 2-3 introductory ones.

That has.......what to do with anything?
    Two people suggested it ignoring the fact that I was already involved. I just made a statement, that's all.

18. - Top - End - #18

I meant Rejoin :P

Sorry to hear that, though. I think the main problem is that, after ABR has been going on for so long, lots of people are joining without reading the archive, and they're contradicting previously stated facts. When so much of this happens, it makes it necessary to label things non-canon, as otherwise, they would ruin a lot of work, plotting, etc.

The only thing I hate in ABR is railroading. I don't try to railroad. I may sometimes plan 2-3 comics ahead, but I leave room for interference. As long as you limit what you do and have fun, it's great. I've gotten a lot of comments of people saying they laughed at my comics. That's what makes me happy. I know that I'm making people laugh, and I'm having fun at the same time.

As long as you ignore the annoying newcomers, they should go away. The people who are funny, interesting, and clever are the people who drive the whole thing. Onasuma, for example, made me laugh over and over again using the same 'getting crushed while attempting to board the Vendetta' gag. It was great.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as you ignore the annoying newcomers, they should go away.
    Lying didnt. I kid, I kid.

The people who are funny, interesting, and clever are the people who drive the whole thing. Onasuma, for example, made me laugh over and over again using the same 'getting crushed while attempting to board the Vendetta' gag. It was great.
    Believe me, I do not drive that thing.

To be frank, i think that FFF could do with ending soonish and a new plot starting up. Thats just about the only way i see this being salvagable. Also, it could do with a whole lot less "no you cannot do X because of Y." On many occasion i have been well aware that "A wizard did it"
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20

Well... It's got a lot of subplots to wrap up.

I think no more should start so that the others can finish, and we can wrap it up neatly.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Bayar, what do you like drawing the most?
    Madness style avatar by me.

Joku of Sprite Wars.

The Joku Odyssey

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

Umm...stuff. Literally. I draw staffs, swords, guns, furniture, spell effects...have to draw more female figures though.

23. - Top - End - #23

Why don't you just start making "test" female humanoid avvies with the props you make? They don't have to be anything special really, just test.

Like for instance I'm working on my mini-series despite even if its art doesn't met people's standards.
    Last edited by Lord Xeno; 2008-11-02 at 03:36 PM.

Joku of Sprite Wars.

The Joku Odyssey

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I agree with some of you that ABR became too plot heavy and that much of the great random attacking each other was destroyed by the focus on complex plots.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, well everybody got their own opinion about ABR. The plot is good or the plot is corrupt and is only ruining the goodness of randomly killing people.

But the most important thing is not the plot of ABR, but rather the fun of it. If Randomly Killing is your cup of tea, then go for it. If plot comics are the most fun, then plot away.

Just saying. Mainly because this thread is now an ABR debate.

Anyway, the most important thing, a suggestion I forgot about earlier, is to try not to see comics as work. From the first post it sounded like you were really trying hard to make the comics.

So here's a suggestion: trying drawing for fun instead of any logical things. Yes, I know this means Random Killing. Please don't point that out.

Also:

"A) Add to one of the many ABR sub-plots or make your own sub-plot"
    That's not a question.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I agree with some of you that ABR became too plot heavy and that much of the great random attacking each other was destroyed by the focus on complex plots.
    Wait, Ichneumon aren't you a ABR Vet?

Joku of Sprite Wars.

The Joku Odyssey

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes, I am.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Mainly because this thread is now an ABR debate.
    This ^
    Everyone has their own opinions about Abr, which is fine and dandy. However this thread is about
    This V
    I cant seem to work off enough motivation to transfer my sketches to my computer. That saddens me because I really want to draw but every time I start it feels more like torture than pleasure.

Can you guys help me ?
    I get the same feeling sometimes, I more or less get by it by thinking of how all the work I'm putting into whatever I'm working on will take shape when it's finished. Look to the future.

Or perhaps just something to distract your mind from the tedium, put on some music or chat with people over whatever chat program you happen to use. (You use Yahoo's if I remember right?)

29. - Top - End - #29

Kobold

Anyway, the most important thing, a suggestion I forgot about earlier, is to try not to see comics as work. :

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    This ^
    Everyone has their own opinions about Abr, which is fine and dandy. However this thread is about
    This V
    I know. That's what my post was all about. To get back on topic.

[EDIT] @ Bayar:
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2008-11-02 at 04:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show