Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I want your traps!

What particularly nasty traps have you created/seen/experienced firsthand? I want to create a Tomb of Horrors style dungeon, and I'm in need of inspiration.
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I want your traps!

A pit trap with Spheres of Annihilation in the bottom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Potion of Inflict ________ Wounds.

Said and done.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Use Greater Shadow Conjuration to mimic a Wall of Stone to cover a pit.

If you fail the Will save, it's a solid floor.

If you pass the Will save, you have a 60% chance of being affected by the non damaging effect of supporting you ... and a 40% chance of simply falling through. Also helps to divide a party (those who went over successfully have a solid floor to deal with).

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Potion of Inflict ________ Wounds.

Said and done.
    Those will detect as Necromancy under Detect Magic. Try potions of Acid Arrow, instead - they show up as Conjuration.... which is the same school as the Cure line.

Of course, for any potion, there's always the risk someone will use plain old Spellcraft to ID it... but that's a tricky check for low-levels.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-10-25 at 11:13 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Use Greater Shadow Conjuration to mimic a Wall of Stone to cover a pit.

If you fail the Will save, it's a solid floor.

If you pass the Will save, you have a 60% chance of being affected by the non damaging effect of supporting you ... and a 40% chance of simply falling through. Also helps to divide a party (those who went over successfully have a solid floor to deal with).
    Couldn't a player just step off the floor, back onto it, and then get another save as to whether it's a floor or not? If he wanted to fall through, that is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The door isn't trapped, the wall around the harmless door is. Open the door and the rest of the wall falls on everyone, except the person entering the door.

A Mimic (or group thereof) imitating a hallway. A player steps forward to find their foot stuck and being swallowed up by three sides.

The old, slanted-floor-that-leads-to-a-pit-while-being-attacked-by-foes trick. Why? Because PCs need more ranks in balance, it affects the entire party, and it presents two challenges at once.

A rope bridge that can be cut while the players are crossing.

A scary looking stone statue with gems for the eyes. The players are expecting a fight if they try to take the gems, but that distracts them from the fact that the gems are cursed.

EDIT:
    Also Thieves' Guild has a list of nifty traps & tricks
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-10-25 at 11:52 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxation View Post
    Couldn't a player just step off the floor, back onto it, and then get another save as to whether it's a floor or not? If he wanted to fall through, that is.
    Depends on DM ruling - in a lot of cases, with illusions, you only get one save (two, if someone points it out).

Of course, it's the DM that's setting up the trap....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Curse the entire area so that if anyone tries to go through the ethereal plane or somesuch (ethereal jaunt, dimension door, any teleport style spell) they instead go through the Negative energy plane.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Depends on DM ruling - in a lot of cases, with illusions, you only get one save (two, if someone points it out).

Of course, it's the DM that's setting up the trap....
    Well, as for the "points it out" bit, wouldn't your Paladin buddy falling straight down clue you in that the floor was unreal? I'd at least give a circumstance bonus to the save in that case.

Which is funny, because in this case making the save is bad, not a bonus at all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't you intentionally fail a saving throw? That turns the whole thing into a sort of leap from the lion's mouth deal.

"The floor is real. The floor is real. The floor is real. I believe... I...believe."
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hehe, these are great so far. This is why you guys are so much better than the WotC forum people!
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

12. - Top - End - #12

Have a long corridor leading into a 90 degree turn into a dead end (sorta like an L shape). This will make the party think there's something ahead around the corner.

In the middle of the long corridor, have a blatantly obvious spike pit. Most people would try to jump over. This is where they fall into the hidden pitfall trap just after the spike pit.

Alternatively, have a spike pit, then have a wall of force hovering over the center of it.
    Sig'd

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a huge fan of Illusions, if they're thematically appropriate. From my post a few days ago:
    You haven't lived until you've made PCs run through a tower designed by a psychotic CE Gnome Sorcerer. Go with permanent illusions of walls, permanently invisible walls, Walls of Force, and Illusions of walls over a Wall of Force. Fill the area with Chaos Beasts.
    Make a hallway. Now make an image of a hole in the floor. Now make an actual hole in the floor. Now make a pit with a wall of Force over it, with an illusion of a pit. And an actual pit next to it, with a Magic Aura'd illusion of a hole. Use Pixies that fight like Kobolds, and Kobolds that fight like bastards. Watch the players cry.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

Old DnD books had weird monsters, I believe there was a mimic that was a pair of pants, a ceiling that smacks down on you, and one thats a wall that falls over. Also gas spores, they looked like beholders, and if you attacked it, it'd explode into a cloud of poison.
    Maybe watching home alone would be useful? Even if it is a comedy, but it IS about someone using traps to beat two thieves.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Mystic Theurge.

Ba Dum Dum Bish

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have an empty corridor, except for a huge pile of corpses (some old, some new) somewhere in the middle, who all apparently died in some similiar manner consistent with there being a deadly trap in the area (e.g. all burnt to a crisp). Watch as the PCs probe it with summons, spells and what nots.

Of course, there's really nothing there.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Out of focus spyglass with a spring loaded dagger triggered to the focusing mechanism. Make sure to say, "I think you got something in your eye."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Can't you intentionally fail a saving throw? That turns the whole thing into a sort of leap from the lion's mouth deal.

"The floor is real. The floor is real. The floor is real. I believe... I...believe."
    Not if one or two in the party have "true seeing". Watch them get confused when they round a corner and see the rogue standing on thin air and illusion.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This trap is suitable for a bit higher levels (i did it with lvl 8 people), that have fireball.

The setup is this, the characters are moving down a slanted hallway and at the bottom trigger the trap (i used a pressure plate search DC 23). What they hear and see behind them is huge boulder that covers the entire hall drop out of the ceiling and slowly starts picking up speed as it rolls towards the characters. The boulder is illusionary, make spot and listen checks for the players, so if they succeed make their will saves for them. Hopefully none realise its a illusion and start running forward in order to escape the boulder (you should describe its awesome mass and crushing ability to the players).

The corridor becomes horizontal at that point and the characters encounter a proximity trigger web trap that only triggers if there is 2 or more people nearby. The web should cover no less then 40ft of the hallway. That should web you at least 2 PCs. Now since the players will want to get out of this fast, the one with the fireball will most likely drop a fireball on them to burn away the web to save them. Remember to describe the sound the boulder makes as its rushing towards them.

The third part is the deadly part of the trap. Some 80 ft from the web part of the trap the PCs spot a pit covering the entire corridor and 10ft long (or even 5 if you know your PCs are poor jumpers). They are most likely running by now, the boulder hot on their heels, and will most likely try to jump over the pit. This pit is illusionary, however right after the illusionary pit is a real pit (concealed, weight triggered, no DC if running or charging). The PCs jumping over the illusionary pit should jump straight into the real pit.

It may seem the trap has a lot of ifs, it relies on your storytelling skills. If you make them feel the boulder is coming towards them and dont give them time to think ("hurry up, what are you going to do, the boulder is coming, I give you 6,5,4,..."). Since its a 3 component trap, a lot of things can be mixed in as well. Walls of fire the PCs have to run through, slippery floors, side passages in tunnels that are bursting with traps, etc.

The beauty of this trap (if it works) is that it forces the PCs to go where you want them to go, not where they want to. But allways make sure they have a chance to detect the trap.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

The problem with illusion is that most illusion is foiled by True Seeing, which is available at Level 7.

Typically when my players see a downward sloping corridor with a web at the bottom, they fear explosive gas (I recall seeing one that did damage equal to a fireball when ignited, and sunk to low-lying areas... essentially a damage doubler for a fireball spell).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

One of my personal favorite was the trap within the trap - one trap that is only merely hidden and easy to disarm - but the real trap is triggered through the disarming of the first trap.

If you use pit traps, fill them with a fluid which does not carry human swimmers so that they sink to the ground and drown, and if the fluid is nontransparent potential help becomes much more difficult.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Doors that appear locked, but actually only lock when picked.

2 Hidden pressure plates in a room. Stepping on them in any order other than the following trips a flooding trap:

Step on left.
    2 rounds later, step on right.
    1 round after that, step off left.
    1 round later, step off right.

Flooding trap involves a grate in ceiling (4 inches between bars), and a diverted underground stream.

Stepping on plates in the correct order opens the secret passageway. Wrong order trips cave-ins at all exits, in addition to starting the flooding.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    One of my personal favorite was the trap within the trap - one trap that is only merely hidden and easy to disarm - but the real trap is triggered through the disarming of the first trap.

If you use pit traps, fill them with a fluid which does not carry human swimmers so that they sink to the ground and drown, and if the fluid is nontransparent potential help becomes much more difficult.
    Just say it. Gelatin. You want to drop your friends into jello in a game.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Do the following:

Create a maze, using the following ingredients:

Real walls
    Real open space
    Open space covered by illusion to make them look like walls
    Walls covered by illusion to make them look like open space
    Force walls (Which aren't visible)
    Force walls covered by illusions to make them look like walls.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    The door isn't trapped, the wall around the harmless door is. Open the door and the rest of the wall falls on everyone, except the person entering the door.

Dude, can I PLEASE steal that from you?

Also, how much damage would a wall do to someone?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

A cursed Diving Helmet of Infinite Water is always good. They put it on, it locks onto their head, and then they start to drown. For best results, include a box of scrolls nearby, and roll on a d100 chart to see which one it is.

You need a way to explain to them that some of the scrolls ARE, in fact, water breathing.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Mystic Theurge.

Ba Dum Dum Bish

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    There are ways to make the Mystic Theurge a non-trap. Most of them involve such things as the Ur-Priest.
    Well, as for the "points it out" bit, wouldn't your Paladin buddy falling straight down clue you in that the floor was unreal? I'd at least give a circumstance bonus to the save in that case.
    The paladin steps on the floor and vanishes.

That'd net you an interaction will save, although in parties without Paladins, the high Will people are generally in the back....
    Which is funny, because in this case making the save is bad, not a bonus at all.
    Yeah. When I pulled it on my group, the Rogue player said "Best trap ever". The Wizard (the only one to fall through) got annoyed, and Disintegrated it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    The problem with illusion is that most illusion is foiled by True Seeing, which is available at Level 7.
    9th, (5th level spell), it's got an expensive material component, and it's only 1 minute/level. Use enough non-illusion traps that they can't travel quickly, and that's not generally going to be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    Dude, can I PLEASE steal that from you?

Also, how much damage would a wall do to someone?
    Check the Wall of Iron spell - it's got that option, and should be similar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

This might seem a little wild (to be used only with v3 D&D)

Make a portcullis fall in the middle of a hallway, place one solitary space above it and one below it as well as pipes that connect the two. Place a Fire Elemental (or similarly superheated creature, perhaps a red dragon for hire) in the bottom room and cause it to generate lots of flames. Then put a tank of contact poison (the toughest you can get) in the top room and rig the poison to flow down the portcullis and into the bottom room where it evaporates and floats back up through the pipes. Keep some brown mold in the top room to liquify the poison stored there and keep the cycle going.

Then, place a bunch of assorted traps and intelligent, high level monsters in the hallway in front of the portcullis, and try to "convince" the super-high-Strength fighter that opening the portcullis right away is a good idea.

They'll be in for a surprise

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There was a monster I am trying to find in one of the MMs that could disguise itself as a statue or a carved pillar. Caratyids? They were used as golem-esque guardians.

I would use them as a literal load-bearing monster that if the PCs killed the whole structure might come down. More of a cerebral trap than a physical one, but making them think of consequences is fun.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Take a hallway with doors at each end, and have it rotate based on which side the party weighs down. Make sure they enter at the middle of the hall. The end that they're on begins to slope down and become the floor, and as they begin to slide down, the "floor" becomes hazardous - use whatever you like. I favor a bonfire.

Now naturally enough, being the smarties that they are, your party will soon enough figure out that they should proceed to the other side of the hall and the door on that end, thus making that end the "floor" and the hazardous end the "roof". As soon as they reach that end, however, they realize that the door is just a decoration.

Then the bonfire falls on them.

The correct response, is, of course, to turn around and walk away, but no one's actually going to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Taken from the twisted imagination of Kria Soulstealer and applied to D&D rules:

A spiked ceiling over a pit trap, with the trigger for a Reverse Gravity or Defenstrating Sphere trap at the bottom of the pit. Kria planned to use a trampoline, but I figured this would be simpler as far as game mechanics goes.