New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

Hey, I finally managed to write something! First a bad episode of my serial, next bad prose for my novel! HUZZAH!

Damn, now I'm not going to have as much time to play Spore and Medieval 2...

Episode 11: Old Habits Die Hard (Serpentine, Mi'ir, Mordokai)
    Spoiler
    Show

Mi’ir stood back up, letting Celestine drop to the ground. “I need to change if I’m going to be traveling like this…baggy clothes plus road dust…”

Serpentine blinked shyly and unshouldered her pack. “I have some extra clothes you could…”

Celestine sneezed again, spraying another cloud of golden dust. “He’s got some of his own.”

Serpentine blinked again and Mordokai stopped in mid-stride. “Wait, he’s what?” Mordokai looked from the familiar to the bard.

Celestine purred. “This isn’t the first time…”

“CELESTINE!” Mi’ir cut the feline off. She started rummaging through her own pack. “We do not need to go back to that story…”

“Why not?” Celestine said smugly, “It’s cute…”

Mordokai blinked. “What’s cute?”

Mi’ir removed a folded set of clothes from his pack. “Nothing!” He threw something at Celestine, but she scurried away and hid behind Serpentine’s legs. “I’m going to change…” Mi’ir stalked off into the tall grass and disappeared.

Mordokai looked down at Celestine, grinning. “Alright, you’ve got a story, so tell it.”

Celestine climbed up onto Serpentine’s shoulders. “Mind if I sit here?”

“Um…,” Serpentine didn’t know what to make of the feline, “Sure?”

“Thank you.” Celestine made herself comfortable perched on the small woman’s shoulders. “This isn’t the first time this has happened to Mi’ir. There was one time, a year back, that he…er…she needed to get inside a house of ill-repute. So, she found a magician’s shop, bought one of those prepared scrolls…”

“And purposely changed into a woman?”

“He thought it was a simple illusion spell. He couldn’t sneak in, the place never closed and people were everywhere and the men were watched carefully to make sure they didn’t rough up the girls. The spell just turned out to be a bit more…complete…”

Serpentine flushed, Mordokai laughed aloud. “You’ve got to be joking.”

Celestine shook her head. “Nope…he spent the next two weeks as a woman.”

“You enjoy that story way too much, furball.” Mi’ir emerged from the grass. Her hair was tied back into a tail and she was wearing clothing of the same style and color as her old clothes, but of a more flattering fit. “Never miss an opportunity to tell it.”

“But I haven’t gotten to the best part…Mira.”

“Don’t you dare…”

“You mean about how Lord Cutler took an interest in you and…”

“Finish that sentence and you’re a pair of mittens for my new student!” Mi’ir cut Celestine off again. “Can we please just get moving?” She started putting the old clothes into her pack.

Mordokai looked down at the ground, trying to cover the suppressed laughter that was clear on his face. Serpentine’s face had colored to a faint shade of red. If she could have, Celestine would’ve been smiling hugely. “Hey, you got the papers, didn’t you?”

Mordokai looked up at Mi’ir. “Wait, why didn’t you just send Celestine in if all you were after was papers?”

Mi’ir looked up from repacking her clothes. Celestine looked pointedly away, her tail twitching in silent laughter. Serpentine looked up at the cat. “Well?”

Mi’ir stalked towards the familiar. “Yes, furball, why didn’t you?”

“Weeeelllll, I’ve got to have my fun too…”

Mordokai doubled over in laughter. Serpentine was shaking, trying not to laugh out loud. Mi’ir could only stand dumbly, staring at the cat. “Let…let’s just go…”

For the rest of the trip, Mi’ir was remarkably silent.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

*sigh* [/lurk] I've been poked repeatedly to get out of SMBG. Bah! I like liked being invisible. Oh well.

I want to say you all have done an excellent job. I wish there weren't so many good awesome writers writing lots of great stories, just because I don't have time to read them all and give them the credit that they're due.

That said ^ I always enjoy your serials Cristo. Keep up the good work.

And I really like the concept of Shadowland St. Nil. I'll be watching that one in earnest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #723

HA! Now you're finally a Pixie!

...and thanks

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

No! I'm a Ghost! *Pretends to be transparent.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

I thought I was Ghost.

Ka-Bar
    ghost_warlock/TwoBitWriter
    Spoiler
    Show

The trees rustled in the autumn wind, dripping drops of vermillion, sienna, and tangerine.

TwoBitWriter and Ghost Warlock hiked together, enjoying the cool, fresh air in the Yellowstone National Park; taking a week to 'get away from it all.'

The trip had been Ghost's idea. He'd called it a 'cleansing exercise;' a chance at a sort of writers' workshop where they could practice their craft away from the influence of popular culture as well as their fellow, beloved, 'shippers. They enjoyed the prolific atmosphere in the Playground, but were sometimes concerned that their writing would stagnate or become fixated on pleasing their fangirl.

Thus far, the trip had been a success. The scenery and fresh air had done wonders for their health and inspiration. They'd each already penned numerous pages of uninhibited, soulful prose inspired by the tranquil wilderness.

And so they walked through the wooded hills, feeling they were on the verge of capturing the sublime, the songs of birds luring them deeper into the Earth's primal mysteries.

Each alone in their thoughts, it took a moment for the gentle, yet abrupt, quiet of the woods to sink in through the ideas for epic fics swirling through their minds.

They looked ahead down the path, catching at first a glimpse of their adversary before the whole of the antagonist came into view.

Sunlight dancing its way down through the foliage overhead made the moist grizzly seem to glitter. Perhaps fresh from some fishing expedition, the bear shook itself dry with a cascade of rainbow.

With a gutteral snort, it caught scent of them. Then, spotting them, it roared with the fury of primordial nature wounded but not yet dead.

It charged.

Frozen in awe for a moment, they could only stare as certain death plowed toward them.

Then, suddenly, Ghost dropped his pack, knelt, and began pulling off his boots.

"What are you doing?" TwoBit asked. "You don't think you can outrun that thing, do you?"

"I don't have to outrun the bear," Ghost replied. "I have to use my bootlaces to make a garrote. There's good eating on one of them!"
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-02-25 at 12:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    If this gains popularity, I'll keep shippiing. Next willl be a SurlySeraph/RHL hopefully. So, what do ya'll think?
    Ahh. I do wonder how you would re-envision me in this.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Prequel to CODENAME: DRAGONSBANE by Felixaar

Curly, Dragonrider, and Castaras
    In My Way

Spoiler
    Show

SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO….
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Kaboom!” Curly shouted.

“No fair!” whined Dragona. “My turn to blow stuff up.”

Curly stuck her tongue out at her sister. “Neener. I got there first.”

Dragona picked up a handful of sand and threw it at her.

“Don’t!” said Cassie.

Her sisters looked at her. She was in the corner, constructing a sand castle of epic proportions. The girls’ sandbox wasn’t really big enough for all three of them anymore, but their father hadn’t yet gotten around to expanding it. In any case, their mother kept insisting that they were too old for it.

“Whassa matter, Cass?” Curly teased, lobbing a handful of sand at the castle. One of the turrets crumbled. “We being too loud?”

“Curly!” Cassie scowled at her.

“Say you’re sorry,” said Dragona, for once standing up for the least agressive of the triplets.

“Won’t,” said Curly.

“Do it!” said Dragona.

“Shan’t!”

Cassie let out a yell of indignation as Curly and Dragona tumbled across the sandbox, squashing her castle. They were pulling each other’s hair and shouting words most eight-year-olds didn't even know, much less dare say.

“Girls!”

Their mother stomped out onto the porch, her hands on her hips, a scowl on her face. “You are too old to behave so childishly! All of you, to your bedroom, now!” She came down and picked Cassie up. Cassie was frowning at her sisters, who both sat in the sandbox, identical looks of resentment on their faces.

“And change your clothes!” said their mother.

The three of them trooped up to their room. They sat on their beds, ignoring their mother’s admonition about “no reading till you’re sorry”.

Dragona looked up from her book to hiss to Curly.

“What?” said Curly, annoyed.

Dragona had her hand across the gap between her bed and Cassie’s. Cassie’s fingers found hers and Dragona squeezed tightly.

“Someday,” said Dragona, “I am going to be a leader. And if you stand in my way….”

Curly’s eyes hardened.

“If I will, you’re not the one who’ll walk away the winner,” she said.

Dragona smiled, though there was no mirth in her voice. “We’ll see about that. And,” she added, looking to her other side, “I’ll take care of you, Cassie.”

“I don’t need taking care of,” said Cassie with starch.

“Well then,” said Dragona, her voice growing cold, “at least you will have a place in my empire if you ever need it.” She whipped back around to Curly. “Not like you.”

TEN YEARS AGO
    Spoiler
    Show
    “I’m fifteen years old, Mother,” said Dragona angrily, slamming her hands down on the table. “I don’t need you to tell me what to do anymore.”

“As long as you’re under my roof, you’ll do as I say,” answered her mother, matching her gesture.

“Fine then,” said Dragona. “I DON’T NEED YOU.”

She turned around and marched up to her bedroom. Curly lay on the bed, her feet tucked under a pillow and her head upside down, hanging off the edge. She had a book and she looked up from it as Dragona came in.

“Heard you yelling,” Curly said by way of greeting.

“So?” said Dragona. “What about it?”

“You really going?”

“Yeah, that's the plan,” Dragona said, wrenching the closet open.

“Well, don’t take THAT shirt, that’s mine,” said Curly, sitting up and setting her book aside.

Dragona cast a malevolent look back at her. “I’ll do whatever I damn well please,” she said. She pulled a green duffel from the cupboard and stuffed the shirt inside. “That’s the whole point of leaving. I’m going to rule the world someday.”

“Yeah, right,” said Curly.

Dragona turned around, dropping the bag and staring her sister down. “You think I can’t? You think I haven’t the brains, or the skills, or, or the power to be a player in the world? Think again, sister. I’m on the edge of something big, and you better not forget what I told you all those years ago. Either you stand aside for me, or you get knocked down, cause I ain’t stopping.”

Curly shook her head. “You don’t get it, do you?” she said. “This is all just an act, isn’t it? A ploy for attention? Well, guess what, my dear sister. You’re going to rule the world? Well, you better move fast, because if you’re not careful, I’m going to get there first.”

She flopped back on the bed and picked up the book.

Dragona finished packing her bag, her head spinning with Curly’s words. Was she bluffing? Surely she was bluffing.

She paused on her way out the door.

“If you need to find me, Cassie knows where I’ll be.”

Curly didn’t even look up.

“Keep the shirt,” she said. “You’re gonna need all the help you can get.”

NOT VERY LONG AGO
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curly leaned back in her seat, a satisfied smile coming to her face.

“The Dragonrider? Yes, I’ve heard of her. Some might even say we have a very…personal relationship.”

The lackey was shaking at the knees, an expression of terror plastered across his timid—though admittedly handsome—face. Curly regarded him with amusement, her long fingers stroking the arms of her thronelike chair.

“You are dismissed.”

She rose from the chair and went to the window, standing with her hands behind her back.

“The Dragonrider, eh? True to form.” She blew a breath of steam in the window and drew a little face with X-ed out eyes. “Oh, my dear sister, I can’t wait to see you again…because when I do, you’ll find that I am indeed standing in your path…and whatever train you’re on, it’s going to go flying off the tracks.”

Let me know, Felix, if this in any way negatively effects any plan of yours, because the inner editor is ready and willing.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2008-12-02 at 01:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadowland

SurlySeraph/RabbitHoleLost
    The next installment, showing another champoin who has fallen to his sins.

So, what does everyone think of Shadowland? To Twobitwirter and DragonPrime, thanks, hopefully I'll be able to put you both in this story sometime. I already know how I'll get Dragonprime. I don't know if you will like it or not.
    That is... terrifying. On any number of levels. But for every level on which it is terrifying, there is a level on which it is awesome. Good writing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Nil: I approve of being sexy temptress. Rock on!
    Cristo: Fwee! I'm glad to see you got your writing back on.
    Ghost:
    I...love...it...
    EEEE~

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Dragonrider: Yay! Good story. Just like siblings. And a prequel? *Goes off to find the rest.*

@ Ghost: Garrote? For a bear? Good luck with that one... I would have just tried shoving the pack in his mouth and using it as a muzzle whilst I jumped on it's back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    @ Dragonrider: Yay! Good story. Just like siblings. And a prequel? *Goes off to find the rest.*
    Thanks! I just edited the link into my post.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Thanks! I just edited the link into my post.
    Yay! No digging for me. Thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    @ Ghost: Garrote? For a bear? Good luck with that one... I would have just tried shoving the pack in his mouth and using it as a muzzle whilst I jumped on it's back.
    Yeah, would it work? Probably not, but it makes for a good subversion of the source material - the "outrun you" story. And in RL, I'd never go on a trek like that without my kukri, which happens to be a Ka-Bar.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-12-02 at 01:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Shadowland
    (warning, its a long one)

FF Fanboy/Dragonprime

*snip*
    Wow! I would never in a zillion years guessed that you could write something so dark and disturbing. I love it!

But now I feel like poor Dragonprime needs something a little less creepy and a little more hetero.

Enticement
    Dragonprime / Happyturtle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there anything more dead than a college town in the summertime? Tina, who didn't live far from the campus, revelled in the few months when most of the idiots had evacuated, leaving behind only the few students dedicated enough to take classes year round. With the crowds gone, she started taking longer walks with her dog around the pleasant campus. And that's when she started to notice music guy.

He was usually leaving the music building around the time she took Max out for the evening walk. Sometimes he seemed off in his own world, rocking out to whatever was coming into his earphones. But when he saw her, he usually smiled. And not just at her, but at Max--a sure sign that he must be a nice guy. But she was just a little too shy to accept the implied invitation to slow down and exchange a few words. He seemed just a little too cool. A little too exotic. She didn't think she measured up.

This went on for half of the summer, until the day that Max took matters into his own hands. She was in the park near one of the dorms when Max suddenly pulled so hard that Tina was yanked off her feet, landing hard on the pathway and losing her hold on the leash. Max kept running, ignoring Tina's shouts, until he jumped up on... oh no, it was him! Music guy was cooking out on one of the grills in the park, and Max had actually knocked him hard enough to make him drop the piece of meat he'd been flipping over with some tongs. It landed on the ground. Max immediately claimed his prize and dove under the picnic table to enjoy it.

"I'm sorry! I don't know what got into him... he's never done that before!" she said, turning bright red as she approached, trying to drop down and get hold of Max's lead.

He caught her shoulders to stop her. "I think I know what happened. Don't worry about it. Are you hurt? You fell pretty hard." But while he was saying this, she noticed approvingly that he deliberately stepped on a loop of the leash that peeked out from under the table to make sure Max stayed put.

"Just scraped my hands, I think," Tina muttered, turning still redder as he took her hands and turned them over to look at her scraped up palms. "My name is Tina. The miscreant is Max."

He smiled. "I'm Rob. I've seen you around."

There was one of those awkward silences, and then she suddenly noticed the smell of what had been cooking on the grill. It was somehow more than just steak. It smelled like wealth and adventure and flight and valour and...

"Here. Sit down. I'll fix you a plate."

"Oh no... no, I couldn't possibly..."

"I insist. I was supposed to be meeting some friends here today for a barbecue, but they cancelled at the last minute. I had to cook the steak today before it spoiled." He smiled. "Don't make me eat alone. Consider it repayment for Max's theft."

Well, when he made it sound like a favor to him, how could she refuse? And there was that smell... she thought she knew now what had made Max go crazy. She had to have some of that steak.

He pulled the other two steaks off the grill and fixed her a plate. She cut the first bite, put it in her mouth, and...

The sensation was indescribable. It was as if she could taste it in her mind, in her soul, in the dark places in her heart.

"Wow. Rob, what is it?"
    she breathed.

"Promise you won't laugh?"

"I promise."

"It's dragon steak."

"No, seriously! Where did you get this?"

"I'm serious. I have a cousin who lives in another dimension. I send him chocolate, he sends me dragon steak."

And she laughed. She couldn't help it. But as the lunch went on, and he continued to tell her stories, and she ate more and more of what was definitely not beef or lamb, she started to believe him.

Then somehow later they were sitting in a shady spot on the grass, taking turns throwing the tennis ball for Max, who seemed to be feeling just as blissed out as Tina did from the amazing meal. Just sitting and chatting comfortably with a man she'd been too shy to exchange two words with a few hours earlier.

What would it be like if I weren't so shy? What if I were the kind of person who did something... bold? The dragon song roared in her blood, making her reckless. Greedy.

Without warning, Tina grabbed a handful of his t-shirt, dragged him close, and kissed him hard and rough. She pushed him into the grass. Rob pulled her down with him. And somewhere deep in her soul she started to think of him as the first piece of gold with which to start her horde.

Title suggestions anyone?
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-12-02 at 07:20 AM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

^ "A Prime Success"

Ugh. I hate naming stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Psh. Less creepy. Psh. More hetero. What kinda organization d'ya think we're running here?

It's good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

It's a fun read, Turtle. I really liked that he was cooking dragon prime.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Wow! I would never in a zillion years guessed that you could write something so dark and disturbing. I love it!

But now I feel like poor Dragonprime needs something a little less creepy and a little more hetero.

Dragonprime / Happyturtle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there anything more dead than a college town in the summertime? Tina, who didn't live far from the campus, revelled in the few months when most of the idiots had evacuated, leaving behind only the students dedicated enough to take classes year round. With the crowds gone, she started taking longer walks with her dog around the pleasant campus. And that's when she started to notice him.

He was usually leaving the music building around the time she took Max out for the evening walk. Sometimes he seemed off in his own world, rocking out to whatever was coming into his earphones. But when he saw her, he usually smiled. And not just at her, but at Max--a sure sign that he must be a nice guy. But she was just a little too shy to accept the implied invitation to slow down and exchange a few words. He seemed just a little too cool. A little too exotic. She didn't think she measured up.

This went on for half of the summer, until the day that Max took matters into his own hands. She hadn't seen him at the music building that day (she didn't always) and she was in the park near one of the dorms when Max suddenly pulled so hard that Tina was yanked off her feet, landing hard on the pathway and losing her hold on the leash. Max kept running, ignoring Tina's shouts, until he jumped up on... oh no, it was him! The music guy was cooking out on one of the grills in the park, and Max had actually knocked him hard enough that the man dropped the piece of meat he'd been flipping over with some tongs. It landed on the ground. Max immediately claimed his prize and dove under the picnic table to enjoy it.

"I'm sorry! I don't know what got into him... he's never done that before!" she said, turning bright red as she ran up, trying to drop down and get hold of Max's lead.

He caught her shoulders to stop her. "I think I know what happened. Don't worry about it. Are you hurt? You fell pretty hard." But while he was saying this, she saw that he deliberately stepped on a loop of the leash that peeked out from under the table so that Max couldn't get away again.

"Just scraped my hands, I think," Tina muttered, turning still redder as he took her hands and turned them over to look at her scraped up palms. "My name is Tina. The miscreant is Max."

He smiled. "I'm Rob. I've seen you around."

There was one of those awkward silences, and then she suddenly noticed the smell of what had been cooking on the grill. It was somehow more than just steak. It smelled like wealth and adventure and flight and valour and...

"Here. Sit down. I'll fix you a plate."

"Oh no... no, I couldn't possibly..."

"I insist. I was supposed to be meeting some friends here today for a barbecue, but they cancelled at the last minute. I had to cook the steak today before it spoiled, and I was hoping I could find some company." He smiled. "Consider it repayment for Max's theft."

Well, when he made it sound like a favor to him, how could she refuse? And there was that smell... she thought she knew now what had made Max go crazy. She had to have some of that steak.

He pulled the other two steaks off the grill and fixed her a plate. She cut the first bite, put it in her mouth, and...

The sensation was indescribable. It was as if she could taste it in her mind, in her soul, in the dark places in her heart.

"Wow. Rob, what is it?"
    she breathed.

"Promise you won't laugh?"

"I promise."

"It's dragon steak."

"No, seriously! Where did you get this?"

"I'm serious. I have a cousin who lives in another dimension. I send him chocolate, he sends me dragon steak."

And she laughed. She couldn't help it. But as the lunch went on, and he continued to tell her stories, and she ate more and more of what was definitely not beef or lamb, she started to believe him.

Then somehow later they were sitting in a shady spot on the grass, taking turns throwing the tennis ball for Max, who seemed to be feeling just as blissed out as Tina did from the amazing meal. Just sitting and chatting comfortably with a man she'd been too shy to exchange two words with.

What would it be like if I weren't so shy? What if I were the kind of person who did something... bold? The dragon song roared in her blood, making her reckless. Greedy.

She suddenly interrupted him mid sentence by grabbing a handful of his t-shirt, dragging him close, and kissing him hard and rough. She pushed him into the grass. He pulled her down with him. And somewhere deep in her soul she started to think of him as the piece of gold with which to start her horde.

Title suggestions anyone?
    Sweet fic, Happyturtle.

Title suggestion: Enticement

19. - Top - End - #739
    Orc in the Playground

This is part two of my letters series. Like the one before it, this is very losely based on the Great Northern War. If there is anyway to improve it, please let me know.

Letter 2: A breakthrough. (Zar "Tsar" Peter/Lex-cat Guest staring Princess RHL).

Spoiler
    Show
    Several months after the first letter...

Dearest Lex, I have good news. The swedes have declared war on the Poles, who have sent reinforcements. With this, and a new divison that has just arrived we are now stronger then we haver ever been. Soon I will march up to your castle, destroying any in my way...

Lex-cat set the the letter aside, sighing softly and turning to face the window. The snow had started to melt a week ago, and now the country side was a field of slush, and the roads were in needing of repair. She knew that only fifty miles away was a division of the swedish army. The were blocking all armed men from leaving the principality. They were the only thing that prevented her uncle from sending aid to Zar. Before her mind could wonder to far, there was a quick wrapping at her door.

Who is it?

It's me! Open the door. A voice at the other side of the door said.

Lex sighed. Oh, it's just you. Come in.

Rabbit walked in, looking around at the girl's desk. Did you get the letter? What did he say?

Calm down. He's just said that he had new allies. He's going to be here soon. Lex smiled at her friend.

I can't wait. Some of those officers say such vulger things.
    Rabbit sniffed haughtily.

Did you ever encourage them?

No! Never! Well...There was this one time...
    Rabbit giggled at the memory. Anyway, how is he doing? Any more poems?

None since two letters ago. Why are you so curious?

I just think it's amazing that he loves you so much that he manages to smuggle the letters glued to the underside of wagons.

Lex blushes slightly. Yes...well...

Rabbit smiles at her friend.
    I'll let you finish your letter. Remeber that we have lessons at three today.With that, Rabbit swept out of the room, graceful as always. Lex sighed, and read the rest of the letter.

When the Poles get here, we will drill them into a fighting force the likes of which the world has never before seen. Soon, I will have a docks and a navy to rival the brits. On our thirtieth wedding anniversy we will be king and queen of the greatest empire on earth. It will happen.
    Your beloved,
    Zar Peter

Lex smiled at Zar's bravado. He would not have the greatest army in the world, but it would be a great one. She picked up the note and pulled a key out of her pocket. Opening a drawer, she placed the letter inside. It rustled against the other letters in there. She locked the drawer again, slid the key back in her pocket and went downstairs.
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 2008-12-02 at 02:53 AM. Reason: color mistakes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
    This is part two of my letters series. Like the one before it, this is very losely based on the Great Northern War. If there is anyway to improve it, please let me know.

Letter 2: A breakthrough. (Zar "Tsar" Peter/Lex-cat Guest staring Princess RHL).

Spoiler
    Show
    Several months after the first letter...

Dearest Lex, I have good news. The swedes have declared war on the Poles, who have sent reinforcements. With this, and a new divison that has just arrived we are now stronger then we haver ever been. Soon I will march up to your castle, destroying any in my way...

Lex-cat set the the letter aside, sighing softly and turning to face the window. The snow had started to melt a week ago, and now the country side was a field of slush, and the roads were in needing of repair. She knew that only fifty miles away was a division of the swedish army. The were blocking all armed men from leaving the principality. They were the only thing that prevented her uncle from sending aid to Zar. Before her mind could wonder to far, there was a quick wrapping at her door.

Who is it?

It's me! Open the door. A voice at the other side of the door said.

Lex sighed. Oh, it's just you. Come in.

Rabbit walked in, looking around at the girl's desk. Did you get the letter? What did he say?

Calm down. He's just said that he had new allies. He's going to be here soon. Lex smiled at her friend.

I can't wait. Some of those officers say such vulger things.
    Rabbit sniffed haughtily.

Did you ever encourage them?

No! Never! Well...There was this one time...
    Rabbit giggled at the memory. Anyway, how is he doing? Any more poems?

None since two letters ago. Why are you so curious?

I just think it's amazing that he loves you so much that he manages to smuggle the letters glued to the underside of wagons.

Lex blushes slightly. Yes...well...

Rabbit smiles at her friend.
    I'll let you finish your letter. Remeber that we have lessons at three today.With that, Rabbit swept out of the room, graceful as always. Lex sighed, and read the rest of the letter.

When the Poles get here, we will drill them into a fighting force the likes of which the world has never before seen. Soon, I will have a docks and a navy to rival the brits. On our thirtieth wedding anniversy we will be king and queen of the greatest empire on earth. It will happen.
    Your beloved,
    Zar Peter

Lex smiled at Zar's bravado. He would not have the greatest army in the world, but it would be a great one. She picked up the note and pulled a key out of her pocket. Opening a drawer, she placed the letter inside. It rustled against the other letters in there. She locked the drawer again, slid the key back in her pocket and went downstairs.
    ::snerks::
    I'm anything but graceful. But, anyways, love it. As I said before, its a pleasant surprise.
    Please continue

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

*Swoons* I'm in love.

Keep writing. Pleeeease.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

When did you manage to fill this thread up with almost two pages in last six hours? I swear, Reinholdt moves out of SMBG and all chaos breaks loose. See what sort of influence you have?

In any case, I have a lot of reading to do...
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

My influence with chaos exists in large quantities for many favors over the years.

Chaos doesn't know I've been stabbing him in the back with Law and Order, though. *shh* Don't tell him.

@Inigo: I like your letter/historical ships. They have a different flavor than the rest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    Erm, Fanboy is the eunych. I distinctly remember ramming a halberd into his groin once. Now this is just weird.
    I dunno I thought it was a fitting revenge. And anything can be fixed with magic DragonPrime. [/mages motto]
    Anyways good job Nil. That was both hillarious, and darkly disturbing at the same time. Good job!

25. - Top - End - #745

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Prequel to CODENAME: DRAGONSBANE by Felixaar

Curly, Dragonrider, and Castaras
    In My Way

Spoiler
    Show

SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO….
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Kaboom!” Curly shouted.

“No fair!” whined Dragona. “My turn to blow stuff up.”

Curly stuck her tongue out at her sister. “Neener. I got there first.”

Dragona picked up a handful of sand and threw it at her.

“Don’t!” said Cassie.

Her sisters looked at her. She was in the corner, constructing a sand castle of epic proportions. The girls’ sandbox wasn’t really big enough for all three of them anymore, but their father hadn’t yet gotten around to expanding it. In any case, their mother kept insisting that they were too old for it.

“Whassa matter, Cass?” Curly teased, lobbing a handful of sand at the castle. One of the turrets crumbled. “We being too loud?”

“Curly!” Cassie scowled at her.

“Say you’re sorry,” said Dragona, for once standing up for the least agressive of the triplets.

“Won’t,” said Curly.

“Do it!” said Dragona.

“Shan’t!”

Cassie let out a yell of indignation as Curly and Dragona tumbled across the sandbox, squashing her castle. They were pulling each other’s hair and shouting words most eight-year-olds didn't even know, much less dare say.

“Girls!”

Their mother stomped out onto the porch, her hands on her hips, a scowl on her face. “You are too old to behave so childishly! All of you, to your bedroom, now!” She came down and picked Cassie up. Cassie was frowning at her sisters, who both sat in the sandbox, identical looks of resentment on their faces.

“And change your clothes!” said their mother.

The three of them trooped up to their room. They sat on their beds, ignoring their mother’s admonition about “no reading till you’re sorry”.

Dragona looked up from her book to hiss to Curly.

“What?” said Curly, annoyed.

Dragona had her hand across the gap between her bed and Cassie’s. Cassie’s fingers found hers and Dragona squeezed tightly.

“Someday,” said Dragona, “I am going to be a leader. And if you stand in my way….”

Curly’s eyes hardened.

“If I will, you’re not the one who’ll walk away the winner,” she said.

Dragona smiled, though there was no mirth in her voice. “We’ll see about that. And,” she added, looking to her other side, “I’ll take care of you, Cassie.”

“I don’t need taking care of,” said Cassie with starch.

“Well then,” said Dragona, her voice growing cold, “at least you will have a place in my empire if you ever need it.” She whipped back around to Curly. “Not like you.”

TEN YEARS AGO
    Spoiler
    Show
    “I’m fifteen years old, Mother,” said Dragona angrily, slamming her hands down on the table. “I don’t need you to tell me what to do anymore.”

“As long as you’re under my roof, you’ll do as I say,” answered her mother, matching her gesture.

“Fine then,” said Dragona. “I DON’T NEED YOU.”

She turned around and marched up to her bedroom. Curly lay on the bed, her feet tucked under a pillow and her head upside down, hanging off the edge. She had a book and she looked up from it as Dragona came in.

“Heard you yelling,” Curly said by way of greeting.

“So?” said Dragona. “What about it?”

“You really going?”

“Yeah, that's the plan,” Dragona said, wrenching the closet open.

“Well, don’t take THAT shirt, that’s mine,” said Curly, sitting up and setting her book aside.

Dragona cast a malevolent look back at her. “I’ll do whatever I damn well please,” she said. She pulled a green duffel from the cupboard and stuffed the shirt inside. “That’s the whole point of leaving. I’m going to rule the world someday.”

“Yeah, right,” said Curly.

Dragona turned around, dropping the bag and staring her sister down. “You think I can’t? You think I haven’t the brains, or the skills, or, or the power to be a player in the world? Think again, sister. I’m on the edge of something big, and you better not forget what I told you all those years ago. Either you stand aside for me, or you get knocked down, cause I ain’t stopping.”

Curly shook her head. “You don’t get it, do you?” she said. “This is all just an act, isn’t it? A ploy for attention? Well, guess what, my dear sister. You’re going to rule the world? Well, you better move fast, because if you’re not careful, I’m going to get there first.”

She flopped back on the bed and picked up the book.

Dragona finished packing her bag, her head spinning with Curly’s words. Was she bluffing? Surely she was bluffing.

She paused on her way out the door.

“If you need to find me, Cassie knows where I’ll be.”

Curly didn’t even look up.

“Keep the shirt,” she said. “You’re gonna need all the help you can get.”

NOT VERY LONG AGO
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curly leaned back in her seat, a satisfied smile coming to her face.

“The Dragonrider? Yes, I’ve heard of her. Some might even say we have a very…personal relationship.”

The lackey was shaking at the knees, an expression of terror plastered across his timid—though admittedly handsome—face. Curly regarded him with amusement, her long fingers stroking the arms of her thronelike chair.

“You are dismissed.”

She rose from the chair and went to the window, standing with her hands behind her back.

“The Dragonrider, eh? True to form.” She blew a breath of steam in the window and drew a little face with X-ed out eyes. “Oh, my dear sister, I can’t wait to see you again…because when I do, you’ll find that I am indeed standing in your path…and whatever train you’re on, it’s going to go flying off the tracks.”

Let me know, Felix, if this in any way negatively effects any plan of yours, because the inner editor is ready and willing.
    Go'; I'm a right bitch (pardon my language). I like it.

Definition drabbles

Mi'ir/Mordokai
    Prolix - unduly prolonged or drawn out : too long
    Spoiler
    Show

Mordokai honestly tried to pay attention; he did! But that verbose little pest that tagged around all the time was so long – winded. He couldn’t just say he’d picked up the supplies, Mi’ir just had to talk about the flowers and kittens and pretty little dryads he’d seen.
    Why, by Sune did it take him ten minutes to get to the point? At least he didn’t have to pay attention.

An hour later

“Why didn’t you tell me about the evil man-eating trees?!”
    “I did. Weren’t you listening?”
    “No! You talk too much”
    “Well, sorry for researching the area ahead.”
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-01 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Formatting

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post

Definition drabbles

Mi'ir/Mordokai
    Prolix - unduly prolonged or drawn out : too long
    Spoiler
    Show

Mordokai honestly tried to pay attention; he did! But that verbose little pest that tagged around all the time was so long – winded. He couldn’t just say he’d picked up the supplies, Mi’ir just had to talk about the flowers and kittens and pretty little dryads he’d seen.
    Why, by Sune did it take him ten minutes to get to the point? At least he didn’t have to pay attention.

An hour later

“Why didn’t you tell me about the evil man-eating trees?!”
    “I did. Weren’t you listening?”
    “No! You talk too much”“Well, sorry for researching the area ahead.”
    *mock innocence*Would I do something like that?

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

You? Naaaaaaah!

Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Yeah...well, so am I, huh?

29. - Top - End - #749
    Bugbear in the Playground

To a Playground Shipficcer
    Spoiler
    Show

Denying call of the self-effacing
    guilt-encasing, self-erasing with
    the cold knife of reason applied
    against the grain of a more complex reality.

The heart bleeds in more ways than the
    surgeon's books can ever describe
    self-inflicted, or the deep red rush
    of the burning wound of those who
    should be close; false images of
    what ought to be like mirror-shards
    whose distortions are as painful
    as the metal slivers that cut into us.

We are always part of the whole around us,
    no matter that we shut the doors, the
    very walls are a part of the reality we
    seek to deny by building them. Feather
    soft words like butterfly wing salve whose
    balm has burned our skin.

Hope, what is it for those who bleed quietly
    from the many lacerations and old pus scars?
    A deceitful creation the wounded child says,
    bright light to lure me into more pain, but
    so much of what is thought coming from the
    eyes set to deny what cannot be readily
    accepted, "I deserve this," silently spoken
    refrain enacted time and again.

Still, amidst the rusty razor-edges and bleeding
    orifaces, the flowers grow, drawing nourishment
    from the soil we thought dead; the resiliency
    of life enduring - and not all hands hold the
    daggers to cut us, some hold them to help us
    set ourselves free . . .
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

30. - Top - End - #750

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    To a Playground Shipficcer
    Spoiler
    Show

Denying call of the self-effacing
    guilt-encasing, self-erasing with
    the cold knife of reason applied
    against the grain of a more complex reality.

The heart bleeds in more ways than the
    surgeon's books can ever describe
    self-inflicted, or the deep red rush
    of the burning wound of those who
    should be close; false images of
    what ought to be like mirror-shards
    whose distortions are as painful
    as the metal slivers that cut into us.

We are always part of the whole around us,
    no matter that we shut the doors, the
    very walls are a part of the reality we
    seek to deny by building them. Feather
    soft words like butterfly wing salve whose
    balm has burned our skin.

Hope, what is it for those who bleed quietly
    from the many lacerations and old pus scars?
    A deceitful creation the wounded child says,
    bright light to lure me into more pain, but
    so much of what is thought coming from the
    eyes set to deny what cannot be readily
    accepted, "I deserve this," silently spoken
    refrain enacted time and again.

Still, amidst the rusty razor-edges and bleeding
    orifaces, the flowers grow, drawing nourishment
    from the soil we thought dead; the resiliency
    of life enduring - and not all hands hold the
    daggers to cut us, some hold them to help us
    set ourselves free . . .