New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7 View Post
    and to continue my series from before

    What is Right and Wrong.

    Presenting my latest one

    To Gain an Ally
    starring Wolfbane and Saint Nil

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nil rubbed his forehead as he walked away from the room. He could hear her wailing inside of it. He hadn't been looking forward to this.

    Sighing he hurried towards the dungeons. He had do to something before it became apprent he was missing.

    Walking through the palace, servants hurried out of the way seeing the frown on his face. Nil didn't even see them. He was thinking again. He had been doing that a lot lately.

    He found the entrance and went down the steps. After going down a few levels, he finally entered a hallway. The walls were made of stone, and torches were set into bracers, giving him light. He approached the guard on duty.

    The guard jumped to his feet quickly and saluted, but Nil told it it was ok. He asked for a moment alone with the prisoners. No one was to come in.

    The guard nodded and Nil entered. He took the key rack of its hook and proceeded to find the key he needed. After finding it, he opened the door, and entered a special area of the castle. He strode to the first cell and looked in.

    Inside, Wolfbane was chained to the wall.

    Hello Wolfbane. Nil said.

    Wolfbane looked up seeing he had a vistor. He smiled when he saw it was Nil.

    How have you been doing Wolfbane? Nil asked.

    Wolfbane coughed for a few seconds before replying.

    How do you think I am if you were chained to a wall day and night? he asked.

    Not so good I suppose.

    Well then. You have you answer don't you. he snarled.

    Wolfbane. Nil sighed. Why did you do it?

    Wolfbane smiled. I already told you. For fun.

    You're lieing to me! Nil shouted as he hit the bars with his fist.

    So you say.

    Nil frowned at him for a moment. He then shook his head. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a key and tossed it into Wolfbane's cell.

    Wolfbane looked at the key for a moment then back at Nil, a frown on his face.

    You'll find that useful tonight. I suggest you get out while you still have the chance.

    With that, Nil left the cell and locked the door behind him. He patted the guard on the way out and told him what a fine job he was doing. He then headed back to his room.

    I murdered them?


    Dang, I'm a sadistic prick aren't I?

  2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sin City

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    That part doesn't refer to the murders, although i guess it could.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

  3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7 View Post
    That part doesn't refer to the murders, although i guess it could.
    Oh.
    *wipes forehead*

    Glad to know that I didn't kill them.

  4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    avatar by Ashen Lilies
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Oh yes you did... and I'm going to make you pay! And Nil too, for letting you escape. Grrr....
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

    "Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker


    Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

  5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sin City

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Oh yes you did... and I'm going to make you pay! And Nil too, for letting you escape. Grrr....
    careful what you wish for.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

  6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TwoBitWriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    DS7: I am so very pleased to see you contributing ships!

    They are extremely fun to read!

    Keep 'em coming!

  7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7 View Post
    careful what you wish for.
    Great, here comes yet another ship in which I'm going to be hurt in.

    Oh well, might as well get things over with.

    @happyturtle: Bring it.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2008-12-10 at 04:55 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TwoBitWriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Great, here comes yet another ship in which I'm going to be hurt in.

    Oh well, might as well get things over with.

    @happyturtle: Bring it.
    You likely won't be hurt in A Shipper's Carol.

  9. - Top - End - #1239
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Saint Nil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    I look forward to the next installment DS7, this is getting good.

    And wolfbane, Why did you do it?!!! Whatever it is you did...
    Avatar by Logalmier

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

  10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dragonrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    (was totally waiting to post this till the top of the next page )

    Cristo Meyers/Happyturtle
    The Gift

    Spoiler
    Show
    Christmas Eve.

    Christmas Eve, and I was on a bus to nowhere.

    Literally—the town of Nowhere, Minnesota. When I was a kid I got a kick out of telling my friends that my grandparents lived “nowhere”. But it got old eventually and now I shut up about it when people asked.

    “Minnesota,” was all I’d say. “They live in Minnesota.”

    Well here was I, on my way to nowhere, wrapped in a down coat with a thick hat pulled low over my eyebrows. This bus had not been designed with Minnesota winters in mind. It was old and I could feel the cold radiating from the windows. I imagined touching my tongue to it and getting stuck. It was tempting—like when your parents tell you not to do something and so you go and do it anyway just to find out what the big deal is.

    “Anyone sitting here?”

    “Nope,” I said, without looking up. Ordinarily I hated sitting next to strangers, but at least it would be a warm body beside me. I scooted a little closer to the window to give the man some room. He sat down, shedding plastic bags around his feet. I tipped my head against the seat in front of me, surreptitiously trying to see what was inside them. I gave up after a minute and leaned back again.

    “Where you headed?” the man asked. His arm was over the back of my seat; I scooted further away. His wide blue eyes were innocent enough, but I wasn’t generally comfortable with any strange man who tried to put his arm around me. Or near to it.

    “Nowhere,” I mumbled.

    “Is it nice there?”

    “Dunno. Never been.” That was true; my mother had a falling out with her parents years ago and we hadn’t visited them since I was a little girl, before they moved to Nowhere.

    “That’s a funny coincidence,” said the man, “because I’m going nowhere as well.”

    “Not exactly a coincidence considering that’s where this BUS is going,” I said.

    “You have a point, m’dear. You have a point,” the man conceded.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    “So going to see someone for Christmas?” the man asked.

    “My grandparents.” It wasn't EXACTLY a lie.

    “Little late. They’re probably hanging their stockings right now. Off to bed. Putting out the fire so Santa can get down the chimney. You’da thought you coulda made it a little sooner, eh?”

    I wasn’t willing to discuss my travel plans with this guy so I just shrugged.

    “I got it,” he said, moving a little closer to me. I was pressed up against the icy wall, my shoulders hunched, but the guy didn’t seem to get the hint. “You gonna surprise them, then? Sneak up and all, an unexpected visit from their granddaughter?”

    He was uncomfortably close to the truth—they didn’t know I was coming. “Yeah,” I said.

    “Nice,” said the guy. “My name’s Cristo Meyers.” He removed his glove and held out a hand to shake.

    “Happy Turtle,” I said. I shook quickly, still wearing my mitten.

    “That’s an…unusual name. Is there a story behind it?”

    I shrugged. Cristo seemed about to say something but changed his mind. To my relief, he didn’t ask me any more questions, though his arm stayed across the back of my chair.

    It was close to midnight when the bus pulled past the sign.

    NOWHERE, MN, POP. 315

    “Little place,” Cristo remarked.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    Outside, it was snowing thickly, flakes falling through the orange light of the street lamps. My whole right shoulder was numb, pressed as it was against the metal interior of the bus. I massaged it, trying to work some feeling back in.

    The bus halted and the rattle of its engine ceased. In the sudden stillness that followed, I stood up, wiggling my icy toes and feeling a prickle of life in them. I gripped the headrest of the seat in front of me, watching Cristo gather up his plastic bags.

    “My stuff,” he said, noticing my interest. “My suitcase busted coming out of Philly and I had to make do.”

    “You’ve come a long way,” I said.

    “Yeah. My mom and dad were hippies. Couldn’t stay in one place for more than a year or two. Guess I inherited the wanderlust cause I can’t seem to settle down, either.”

    “Well, I wish you luck,” I said. He stepped out of the way and I reached into the overhead bins, dragging my backpack down. One of the straps caught on the edge and I tugged, unreasonably annoyed.

    “Let me help with that.” Cristo reached up and pulled it loose, shedding more plastic bags as he did so. The lady behind us made a noise of irritation and Cristo shrugged at her apologetically.

    I slung the backpack on and followed Cristo out into the snow. It was knee-deep and still falling fast; flakes whispered past my cheeks as I struggled to walk through the drifts. My foot slid off the invisible curb and I found myself on my butt in the street, coughing at the smell of gasoline coming from under the bus.

    A wave of despair watched over me. I watched the rest of the passengers get off the bus and make their way down the street, laughing and speaking quietly amongst themselves.

    The bus rumbled to life and I couldn’t bring myself to move as it guttered away, passing dangerously close to my leg. I sat in the snow as it soaked through my jeans and my underwear, falling thickly over me. I turned my face up to the sky. In the yellow-orange glow of the street lights, the stars were all but invisible, but the snow swirled down at me. The clock struck midnight—it was Christmas.

    And I was alone.

    “Hey.”

    I turned, stiff with cold. Cristo stood on the sidewalk above me, a gloved hand extended to help me up. I took it without thinking and he pulled me upright, helping me onto the curb.

    “Didn’t see you fall or I woulda stayed to help,” he said. “Are you hurt?”

    “No,” I said through numb lips. “Just didn’t feel like getting up again.”

    “Yeah, I been there,” said Cristo, bending to lift my backpack. “Oof. This thing is heavy. Books or laptop?”

    “Both,” I said.

    “Uh huh. Well they’re probably both ruined from sitting in the snow. You really gotta think, Happy.”

    “Sorry,” I said.

    We stood there looking at each other. I twisted my hands in front of me, waiting for him to hand me my backpack, but he made no move to do so. His plastic bags were on the ground again, the snow slowly covering them as we stood in silence.

    “So do you really have grandparents in Nowhere, Minnesota?” Cristo asked.

    “They died two years ago,” I answered.

    “Then why are you here?”

    “Same reason as you. Going nowhere.”

    “Ah.”

    The streetlight went out. Suddenly I could see the stars, faint but present, twinkling down on me. “It’s Christmas,” I said.

    “So it is.”

    “Why did you come back? Did you forget something? Cause the bus is gone.”

    “I did forget something,” said Cristo, “but it isn’t on the bus.”

    “Then what—”

    He leaned forward and kissed me.

    After a long moment, he pulled back. “Merry Christmas,” he whispered.

    I watched him walk away, vanishing into the white as the falling snow covered his footprints. Soon, there would be nothing left of him but the kiss and the plastic bag he had left on the sidewalk. I bent and picked it up. Inside was a sweatshirt and a blue knit cap.

    I pulled my backpack over one shoulder and held the sweatshirt and cap close against me. Cristo’s tracks were almost invisible now, but I followed them down the sidewalk. Maybe I’d never see him again, but he’d given me a gift—and maybe I was in the middle of Nowhere and all alone, but now I had something to hold on to.

  11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    @Twobit: I forgot about that. So I am going not going to be hurt two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    I look forward to the next installment DS7, this is getting good.

    And wolfbane, Why did you do it?!!! Whatever it is you did...
    Well, it involved 27 herring sausages, a beginner's guide to taxidermy, and a waitress named Brunhilda.

    (points for the reference.)

    @DR: That is...spooky. Good, but spooky.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2008-12-10 at 05:02 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TwoBitWriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    (was totally waiting to post this till the top of the next page )

    Cristo Meyers/Happyturtle
    The Gift

    Spoiler
    Show
    Christmas Eve.

    Christmas Eve, and I was on a bus to nowhere.

    Literally—the town of Nowhere, Minnesota. When I was a kid I got a kick out of telling my friends that my grandparents lived “nowhere”. But it got old eventually and now I shut up about it when people asked.

    “Minnesota,” was all I’d say. “They live in Minnesota.”

    Well here was I, on my way to nowhere, wrapped in a down coat with a thick hat pulled low over my eyebrows. This bus had not been designed with Minnesota winters in mind. It was old and I could feel the cold radiating from the windows. I imagined touching my tongue to it and getting stuck. It was tempting—like when your parents tell you not to do something and so you go and do it anyway just to find out what the big deal is.

    “Anyone sitting here?”

    “Nope,” I said, without looking up. Ordinarily I hated sitting next to strangers, but at least it would be a warm body beside me. I scooted a little closer to the window to give the man some room. He sat down, shedding plastic bags around his feet. I tipped my head against the seat in front of me, surreptitiously trying to see what was inside them. I gave up after a minute and leaned back again.

    “Where you headed?” the man asked. His arm was over the back of my seat; I scooted further away. His wide blue eyes were innocent enough, but I wasn’t generally comfortable with any strange man who tried to put his arm around me. Or near to it.

    “Nowhere,” I mumbled.

    “Is it nice there?”

    “Dunno. Never been.” That was true; my mother had a falling out with her parents years ago and we hadn’t visited them since I was a little girl, before they moved to Nowhere.

    “That’s a funny coincidence,” said the man, “because I’m going nowhere as well.”

    “Not exactly a coincidence considering that’s where this BUS is going,” I said.

    “You have a point, m’dear. You have a point,” the man conceded.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    “So going to see someone for Christmas?” the man asked.

    “My grandparents.” It wasn't EXACTLY a lie.

    “Little late. They’re probably hanging their stockings right now. Off to bed. Putting out the fire so Santa can get down the chimney. You’da thought you coulda made it a little sooner, eh?”

    I wasn’t willing to discuss my travel plans with this guy so I just shrugged.

    “I got it,” he said, moving a little closer to me. I was pressed up against the icy wall, my shoulders hunched, but the guy didn’t seem to get the hint. “You gonna surprise them, then? Sneak up and all, an unexpected visit from their granddaughter?”

    He was uncomfortably close to the truth—they didn’t know I was coming. “Yeah,” I said.

    “Nice,” said the guy. “My name’s Cristo Meyers.” He removed his glove and held out a hand to shake.

    “Happy Turtle,” I said. I shook quickly, still wearing my mitten.

    “That’s an…unusual name. Is there a story behind it?”

    I shrugged. Cristo seemed about to say something but changed his mind. To my relief, he didn’t ask me any more questions, though his arm stayed across the back of my chair.

    It was close to midnight when the bus pulled past the sign.

    NOWHERE, MN, POP. 315

    “Little place,” Cristo remarked.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    Outside, it was snowing thickly, flakes falling through the orange light of the street lamps. My whole right shoulder was numb, pressed as it was against the metal interior of the bus. I massaged it, trying to work some feeling back in.

    The bus halted and the rattle of its engine ceased. In the sudden stillness that followed, I stood up, wiggling my icy toes and feeling a prickle of life in them. I gripped the headrest of the seat in front of me, watching Cristo gather up his plastic bags.

    “My stuff,” he said, noticing my interest. “My suitcase busted coming out of Philly and I had to make do.”

    “You’ve come a long way,” I said.

    “Yeah. My mom and dad were hippies. Couldn’t stay in one place for more than a year or two. Guess I inherited the wanderlust cause I can’t seem to settle down, either.”

    “Well, I wish you luck,” I said. He stepped out of the way and I reached into the overhead bins, dragging my backpack down. One of the straps caught on the edge and I tugged, unreasonably annoyed.

    “Let me help with that.” Cristo reached up and pulled it loose, shedding more plastic bags as he did so. The lady behind us made a noise of irritation and Cristo shrugged at her apologetically.

    I slung the backpack on and followed Cristo out into the snow. It was knee-deep and still falling fast; flakes whispered past my cheeks as I struggled to walk through the drifts. My foot slid off the invisible curb and I found myself on my butt in the street, coughing at the smell of gasoline coming from under the bus.

    A wave of despair watched over me. I watched the rest of the passengers get off the bus and make their way down the street, laughing and speaking quietly amongst themselves.

    The bus rumbled to life and I couldn’t bring myself to move as it guttered away, passing dangerously close to my leg. I sat in the snow as it soaked through my jeans and my underwear, falling thickly over me. I turned my face up to the sky. In the yellow-orange glow of the street lights, the stars were all but invisible, but the snow swirled down at me. The clock struck midnight—it was Christmas.

    And I was alone.

    “Hey.”

    I turned, stiff with cold. Cristo stood on the sidewalk above me, a gloved hand extended to help me up. I took it without thinking and he pulled me upright, helping me onto the curb.

    “Didn’t see you fall or I woulda stayed to help,” he said. “Are you hurt?”

    “No,” I said through numb lips. “Just didn’t feel like getting up again.”

    “Yeah, I been there,” said Cristo, bending to lift my backpack. “Oof. This thing is heavy. Books or laptop?”

    “Both,” I said.

    “Uh huh. Well they’re probably both ruined from sitting in the snow. You really gotta think, Happy.”

    “Sorry,” I said.

    We stood there looking at each other. I twisted my hands in front of me, waiting for him to hand me my backpack, but he made no move to do so. His plastic bags were on the ground again, the snow slowly covering them as we stood in silence.

    “So do you really have grandparents in Nowhere, Minnesota?” Cristo asked.

    “They died two years ago,” I answered.

    “Then why are you here?”

    “Same reason as you. Going nowhere.”

    “Ah.”

    The streetlight went out. Suddenly I could see the stars, faint but present, twinkling down on me. “It’s Christmas,” I said.

    “So it is.”

    “Why did you come back? Did you forget something? Cause the bus is gone.”

    “I did forget something,” said Cristo, “but it isn’t on the bus.”

    “Then what—”

    He leaned forward and kissed me.

    After a long moment, he pulled back. “Merry Christmas,” he whispered.

    I watched him walk away, vanishing into the white as the falling snow covered his footprints. Soon, there would be nothing left of him but the kiss and the plastic bag he had left on the sidewalk. I bent and picked it up. Inside was a sweatshirt and a blue knit cap.

    I pulled my backpack over one shoulder and held the sweatshirt and cap close against me. Cristo’s tracks were almost invisible now, but I followed them down the sidewalk. Maybe I’d never see him again, but he’d given me a gift—and maybe I was in the middle of Nowhere and all alone, but now I had something to hold on to.
    How many times am I gonna have to go "D'awwwww" today from the awesome fics?

    Well....

    D'awwwww!

    It was adorable, DR! Very beautiful, very slice of life-ish. I totally didn't see the ending coming, but it was perfect. Warms the heart.

  13. - Top - End - #1243
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dirk Kris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Limbo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Twobi, LOVED yours! I iz a po' wretched little man, I iz. And you were THE first to be shipped with Brandi, dear.

    DR - wonderful! Made me want to fall for Cristo. Oh, wait...
    Spoiler
    Show

    Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.

  14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    avatar by Ashen Lilies
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    (was totally waiting to post this till the top of the next page )

    Cristo Meyers/Happyturtle
    The Gift

    Spoiler
    Show
    Christmas Eve.

    Christmas Eve, and I was on a bus to nowhere.

    Literally—the town of Nowhere, Minnesota. When I was a kid I got a kick out of telling my friends that my grandparents lived “nowhere”. But it got old eventually and now I shut up about it when people asked.

    “Minnesota,” was all I’d say. “They live in Minnesota.”

    Well here was I, on my way to nowhere, wrapped in a down coat with a thick hat pulled low over my eyebrows. This bus had not been designed with Minnesota winters in mind. It was old and I could feel the cold radiating from the windows. I imagined touching my tongue to it and getting stuck. It was tempting—like when your parents tell you not to do something and so you go and do it anyway just to find out what the big deal is.

    “Anyone sitting here?”

    “Nope,” I said, without looking up. Ordinarily I hated sitting next to strangers, but at least it would be a warm body beside me. I scooted a little closer to the window to give the man some room. He sat down, shedding plastic bags around his feet. I tipped my head against the seat in front of me, surreptitiously trying to see what was inside them. I gave up after a minute and leaned back again.

    “Where you headed?” the man asked. His arm was over the back of my seat; I scooted further away. His wide blue eyes were innocent enough, but I wasn’t generally comfortable with any strange man who tried to put his arm around me. Or near to it.

    “Nowhere,” I mumbled.

    “Is it nice there?”

    “Dunno. Never been.” That was true; my mother had a falling out with her parents years ago and we hadn’t visited them since I was a little girl, before they moved to Nowhere.

    “That’s a funny coincidence,” said the man, “because I’m going nowhere as well.”

    “Not exactly a coincidence considering that’s where this BUS is going,” I said.

    “You have a point, m’dear. You have a point,” the man conceded.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    “So going to see someone for Christmas?” the man asked.

    “My grandparents.” It wasn't EXACTLY a lie.

    “Little late. They’re probably hanging their stockings right now. Off to bed. Putting out the fire so Santa can get down the chimney. You’da thought you coulda made it a little sooner, eh?”

    I wasn’t willing to discuss my travel plans with this guy so I just shrugged.

    “I got it,” he said, moving a little closer to me. I was pressed up against the icy wall, my shoulders hunched, but the guy didn’t seem to get the hint. “You gonna surprise them, then? Sneak up and all, an unexpected visit from their granddaughter?”

    He was uncomfortably close to the truth—they didn’t know I was coming. “Yeah,” I said.

    “Nice,” said the guy. “My name’s Cristo Meyers.” He removed his glove and held out a hand to shake.

    “Happy Turtle,” I said. I shook quickly, still wearing my mitten.

    “That’s an…unusual name. Is there a story behind it?”

    I shrugged. Cristo seemed about to say something but changed his mind. To my relief, he didn’t ask me any more questions, though his arm stayed across the back of my chair.

    It was close to midnight when the bus pulled past the sign.

    NOWHERE, MN, POP. 315

    “Little place,” Cristo remarked.

    “Yeah,” I said.

    Outside, it was snowing thickly, flakes falling through the orange light of the street lamps. My whole right shoulder was numb, pressed as it was against the metal interior of the bus. I massaged it, trying to work some feeling back in.

    The bus halted and the rattle of its engine ceased. In the sudden stillness that followed, I stood up, wiggling my icy toes and feeling a prickle of life in them. I gripped the headrest of the seat in front of me, watching Cristo gather up his plastic bags.

    “My stuff,” he said, noticing my interest. “My suitcase busted coming out of Philly and I had to make do.”

    “You’ve come a long way,” I said.

    “Yeah. My mom and dad were hippies. Couldn’t stay in one place for more than a year or two. Guess I inherited the wanderlust cause I can’t seem to settle down, either.”

    “Well, I wish you luck,” I said. He stepped out of the way and I reached into the overhead bins, dragging my backpack down. One of the straps caught on the edge and I tugged, unreasonably annoyed.

    “Let me help with that.” Cristo reached up and pulled it loose, shedding more plastic bags as he did so. The lady behind us made a noise of irritation and Cristo shrugged at her apologetically.

    I slung the backpack on and followed Cristo out into the snow. It was knee-deep and still falling fast; flakes whispered past my cheeks as I struggled to walk through the drifts. My foot slid off the invisible curb and I found myself on my butt in the street, coughing at the smell of gasoline coming from under the bus.

    A wave of despair watched over me. I watched the rest of the passengers get off the bus and make their way down the street, laughing and speaking quietly amongst themselves.

    The bus rumbled to life and I couldn’t bring myself to move as it guttered away, passing dangerously close to my leg. I sat in the snow as it soaked through my jeans and my underwear, falling thickly over me. I turned my face up to the sky. In the yellow-orange glow of the street lights, the stars were all but invisible, but the snow swirled down at me. The clock struck midnight—it was Christmas.

    And I was alone.

    “Hey.”

    I turned, stiff with cold. Cristo stood on the sidewalk above me, a gloved hand extended to help me up. I took it without thinking and he pulled me upright, helping me onto the curb.

    “Didn’t see you fall or I woulda stayed to help,” he said. “Are you hurt?”

    “No,” I said through numb lips. “Just didn’t feel like getting up again.”

    “Yeah, I been there,” said Cristo, bending to lift my backpack. “Oof. This thing is heavy. Books or laptop?”

    “Both,” I said.

    “Uh huh. Well they’re probably both ruined from sitting in the snow. You really gotta think, Happy.”

    “Sorry,” I said.

    We stood there looking at each other. I twisted my hands in front of me, waiting for him to hand me my backpack, but he made no move to do so. His plastic bags were on the ground again, the snow slowly covering them as we stood in silence.

    “So do you really have grandparents in Nowhere, Minnesota?” Cristo asked.

    “They died two years ago,” I answered.

    “Then why are you here?”

    “Same reason as you. Going nowhere.”

    “Ah.”

    The streetlight went out. Suddenly I could see the stars, faint but present, twinkling down on me. “It’s Christmas,” I said.

    “So it is.”

    “Why did you come back? Did you forget something? Cause the bus is gone.”

    “I did forget something,” said Cristo, “but it isn’t on the bus.”

    “Then what—”

    He leaned forward and kissed me.

    After a long moment, he pulled back. “Merry Christmas,” he whispered.

    I watched him walk away, vanishing into the white as the falling snow covered his footprints. Soon, there would be nothing left of him but the kiss and the plastic bag he had left on the sidewalk. I bent and picked it up. Inside was a sweatshirt and a blue knit cap.

    I pulled my backpack over one shoulder and held the sweatshirt and cap close against me. Cristo’s tracks were almost invisible now, but I followed them down the sidewalk. Maybe I’d never see him again, but he’d given me a gift—and maybe I was in the middle of Nowhere and all alone, but now I had something to hold on to.
    You just know he's going to come back and stab me.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

    "Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker


    Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

  15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dragonrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Yeah, I DID make him kinda creepy.

    "Random stranger enters life, asks nosy questions, kisses, leaves."


  16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TwoBitWriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Yeah, I DID make him kinda creepy.

    "Random stranger enters life, asks nosy questions, kisses, leaves."

    I am not so cynical as to think it was creepy.

    I will say that it is a sweet story.

    @V: Normally I would say no, but.... that would deflate my argument that its a sweet story...
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-10 at 05:17 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #1247
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cristo Meyers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    You just know he's going to come back and stab me.
    well I am now...

    Come on, can't a guy be mysteriously nice once in a while? Even if he is me?

    You never cease to make me insanely jealous, DR.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2008-12-10 at 05:17 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    I am not so cynical as to think it was creepy.

    I will say that it is a sweet story.
    Well, it is Cristo we are talking about.
    But yeah, it was a great story.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2008-12-10 at 05:17 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #1249
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cristo Meyers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Yeah, I DID make him kinda creepy.
    And I love you for it.

  20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dragonrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    I I will say that it is a sweet story.
    'twas intended to be so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    You never cease to make me insanely jealous, DR.
    *bows* I do my best, my dear Cristo.

  21. - Top - End - #1251
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lord Magtok's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Reminder to Curly: Final Fanboy III is listed twice in the archives.

    Message to everyone else: Acronomicon IV, or The Fast and the Surliest, as I've decided to call it, is almost done, so stop badgering me. *Shakes fist*
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

  22. - Top - End - #1252
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    CurlyKitGirl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Black Desert
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)


    I go away for four days and you do eight pages!
    And I go away on Friday again!

    I'll do my hardest to read and archive up to the current page by tomorrow and everything.
    I do have a lot of inspiration too, so please expect some fics tomorrow. But for now; and Helgrafs' one counts as well, so please enjoy one more

    Definition drabble

    Mordokai/Mi'ir(Cristo)/Graf(Helgraf)
    Lothario - a man whose chief interest is seducing women
    Spoiler
    Show

    It was only right that they stopped at a nearby village to allow Mi’ir to regain his lost strength after RHL had attacked. It was only right that they rent out the three best rooms in the inn as well. It made Mordokai hurt to see the usually exuberant bard pale and lethargic.
    Graf, the oracle was more coherent than normal; actually of some use when he had to barter of supplies because Mordokai was too worried for Mi’ir.
    But he had to draw the line somewhere. This incessant flirting with the maids pushed the limits. “It stops now Mi’ir!”
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-01 at 01:38 PM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

    Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

  23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)


    Good luck with the archiving!

    Good story too.

  24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Reminder to Curly: Final Fanboy III is listed twice in the archives.

    Message to everyone else: Acronomicon IV, or The Fast and the Surliest, as I've decided to call it, is almost done, so stop badgering me. *Shakes fist*
    Damn Grinch...

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post

    I go away for four days and you do eight pages!
    And I go away on Friday again!

    I'll do my hardest to read and archive up to the current page by tomorrow and everything.
    I do have a lot of inspiration too, so please expect some fics tomorrow. But for now; and Helgrafs' one counts as well, so please enjoy one more

    Definition drabble

    Mordokai/Mi'ir(Cristo)/Graf(Helgraf)
    Lothario - a man whose chief interest is seducing women
    Spoiler
    Show

    It was only right that they stopped at a nearby village to allow Mi’ir to regain his lost strength after RHL had attacked. It was only right that they rent out the three best rooms in the inn as well. It made Mordokai hurt to see the usually exuberant bard pale and lethargic.
    Graf, the oracle was more coherent than normal; actually of some use when he had to barter of supplies because Mordokai was too worried for Mi’ir.
    But he had to draw the line somewhere. This incessant flirting with the maids pushed the limits. “It stops now Mi’ir!”
    Since when did Mi'ir become the flirty of the two?

    Great drabble, as usual Curly

    @DR: love yours! Somehow, it is so very fitting. Not sure to what excatly, but it fits.

    As for all the Christmas fics(namely, those done by Dirk and TBW)... love those as well! Christmas is going to be great if you continue like this!
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

  25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TwoBitWriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    As for all the Christmas fics(namely, those done by Dirk and TBW)... love those as well! Christmas is going to be great if you continue like this!
    I hope you enjoy being "Mini-Mordy"

  26. - Top - End - #1256
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cristo Meyers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post

    Since when did Mi'ir become the flirty of the two?
    Haven't I always been?

    Sorry to pile on the work, Curly, we'll try and be good when you leave again.

  27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dragonrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    But the shipses! Keem them coming! We loves them, precious! [/Gollum]

    (I wonder where the double pluralization comes from? I mean, why he does it? )

  28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    Yeah, we need to keep them coming.
    (will write one later tonight/in the morning)
    (Ideas anyone?)
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2008-12-10 at 08:03 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #1259
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cristo Meyers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    I said we'd be good, not that we'd stop the flow of fics...

  30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reinholdt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In hiding. Always hiding.

    Default Re: Shippingitp III: We Make Love (And Sometimes War)

    I'm going ahead and presuming that you have a very loose definition of good...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •