New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Would this work?

I recently got complete mage.
    After having a look at abjurant champion, I realized this very good build. Mostly for gishes, but any caster would benefit.

I like Sorcerer for the combat synergy (combat panache, assassin's handbook), and Fighter because I'm going to be spending all of my free feats on metamagic.

Sorcerer 1 Feat: Practised Spellcaster(sorcerer); allows no loss in CL for fighter levels
    Fighter 4, using ACF armored mage, bonus feats don't matter. Lvl 3 feat, Combat Casting
    Sorcerer 2; Might as well not lose the caster level for now; gets to BAB +5
    Abjurant Champion 5; utter-cheese! At level five, your CL is equal to your BAB

From there on, it's easy; just use a full BAB class, and the best part is that Practised spellcaster no longer applies to your old CL, so you make up that lost level of Spellcasting.

Please read title in regards to feedback.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Would this work?

This is a decent gish build for a medium power game, but no more than that. Neither Practiced Spellcaster nor Martial Arcanist apply to spell progression, so you're four levels behind in spells per day and your highest level spells are two levels lower than for a straight Sorcerer.

Also, the Armored Mage alternate class feature is near useless. Just use Mage Armor or Greater Mage Armor instead of actual armor or, if your DM allows the Book of Exalted Deeds, (Greater) Luminous Armor.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Or, if you're really desperate for actual armor, take a Spellthief dip and use Master Spellthief, or go with Battle Sorceror--either lets you cast in light armor without ASF.

There's really no reason you should need more than light armor, but you can up it to medium with a feat--a feat likely better spent on a metamagic feat or similar.

4. - Top - End - #4

I knew there was a catch! but my friends don't.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You never need Fighter 4 in any Gish build, ever. Two levels is the most Fighter any Gish build would ever need.

If you want to cast in armor, take Battle Sorcerer and maybe pick up Battle Caster (CA) to ignore ASF in Medium armor, and/or get Spellsword (CW). Then you can go something like Fighter 1/ Battle Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Eldritch Knight 9. With Practiced Spellcaster your caster level is higher than your BAB anyway.

Martial Arcanist is worthless, no Gish build would be better off focusing on BAB to use it than focusing on more levels of spellcasting ability and taking Practiced Spellcaster. The only reason to get the 5th level of Abjurant Champion is so you can Quicken your 3rd level Abjuration spells, otherwise it's a dead level. Abjurant Champion 1 gives Extended Abjuration, anything after that is just filler because it gets better HP than Eldritch Knight, it may as well not grant any class features at all outside the HP, BAB, and spellcasting.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I knew there was a catch! but my friends don't.
    That's called cheating, and it ruins games. A decent Gish build is already a way powerful character without doing that.
    Last edited by Biffoniacus_Furiou; 2008-10-29 at 07:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Actually, my friends and DM all agreed "Yeah, you could do that.", so it's not so much cheating as using a ruling they already gave.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Actually, my friends and DM all agreed "Yeah, you could do that.", so it's not so much cheating as using a ruling they already gave.
    No, it's using the rules wrong because they don't know better. That's cheating. Caster Level has nothing to do with spells per day and spells known.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If they mistakenly ruled it like that, and you know that it shouldn't be used that way, then you're still cheating. It would be best to set them right before it gets out of hand and the DM starts outright banning stuff, or making rocks fall because of a cheater's broken character.