Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Fallen IC

The three figures examine the contents of the box carefully then nod in satisfaction.
    You have performed... adequately.
    The first figure says as it lifts the two-ton metal box with ease.
    Some of your victims escaped but they will serve as messengers of panic and strife, spreading false rumors against Luskan.
    The second figure says as it produces several clay seals and hands one to each of you.
    But now we want you to further strain the relationships between Neverwinter and Luskan. Your target will be Port Llast. After the Shadow King wars several agreements and compromises between Neverwinter and Luskan were made to solidify their relationship. As a result of the greatest of these deals, much the trade through the region has come to be controlled by Luskan and the town of Port Llast is now mostly under Luskan's influence. We want you to ruin the town's trade while simultaneously convincing the Luskanites that Neverwinter is responsible. That will both be a major economical blow against the two cities and will turn one against the other.
    Says the third figure, giving you your next mission.

Then the figures speak in unison once more.
    We cannot be seen together for a time, especially anywhere near Port Llast. As a joint effort from both the Arcane Brotherhood and the Many-Starred Cloaks, the focus of the trade agreements between the two cities is being watched magically. Despite any falling out between the two arcane organisations as a result of your efforts, the town might still be watched. Therefore, any obviously unnatural presence such as our own or any show of force might alert both cities of our plans.

The Nondetection enchantments that cloak you will prevent your disguises from being pierced-but they are only guaranteed to work against casual observation. Any shows of force, obvious breaking of the laws or other incident that will draw too much attention to yourselves might draw the eyes of not the half-trained diviners usually on magical sentry duty but of much stronger diviners from both cities. We cannot guarantee your anonymity against them. You must find indirect ways to destroy the Luskan traders.

The figures nod at the clay seals now in your hands.
    Your reward for your previous mission. Break the seals while stating what you wish done and the magic in them will fulfil your request to the limits of its power. Too great requests or things that cannot be done may cause the magic to fail or even lash back against you.

Any questions about your next mission or other matters, you can ask now.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Duensal gratefully takes his clay tablet, and slips it into his pocket for the time being.

I have three questions, if I may.

One, what do you know about the ambassador that travelled with the convoy that we destroyed? She wields mighty magics, and I foresee that we will need to face her again at some point. I would rather be prepared to take her on rather than risk our own destruction at her hands.

Second, what kind of trade are we talking about? Is it mainly grain and food stuffs, iron and weaponry, or something else entirely?

And thirdly... how long do we have to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gerard

"I am curious," Gerard says, "If you have any thoughts on how this might be done. Are there any known weak points in their trade? A person with power who has control over it?"
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa takes the proffered clay tablet, pocketing it for later examination and use. She remains silent, considering that Gerard and Duensal have already asked the questions most prominent on her mind.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

The second figure frowns.
    The ambassador, whose name I will not utter here, is the offspring of Cormanthor's old High Mage and an Eladrin prince from Arvandor. Not much is known about her except that she's a powerful elementalist and diviner and that she doesn't work well with human governments.

As for the trade of Port Llast, it varies. Neverwinter sells large quantities of timber and iron that Luskan needs for its many ships while getting sizable quantities of grain, vegetables and fish which are in short supply in the North. Secondary but equally important trade goods are various types of ores that nearby clans of dwarves mine in the mountains and spices and fossil fuel from the Mere of Dead Men. Last but not least, there is a small but very profitable trade of spell components, familiars, alchemical substances and quasi-magical items as the wild lands around Neverwinter are full of magical creatures and locations and thus a good source for such things.

As for the available time, the sooner the better. It will take about one week for us to prepare other forces that will be used in the initial attacks against the countryside. I suggest you use that time wisely.

The third figure seems to be thinking while the second explains all this. When the few details the second figure can give you are passed on, the third figure speaks;
    I seem to recall that only a few years ago Neverwinter had a great deal of problems with the local fauna. The Lizardfolk were sinking the ships in the various ports, giants had driven the dwarves from their home in the mountains, orcs were assaulting villages in the east and bands of brigands were frequenting the roads. A band of heroes once solved these problems. If you could "unsolve" them, then the wildlife in the region could prove disastrous to all trade. How you could make Neverwinter seem the agressor in this case is up to you.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

6. - Top - End - #306

RogueGuy

Gerard
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial_the_Leveler View Post

The third figure seems to be thinking while the second explains all this. When the few details the second figure can give you are passed on, the third figure speaks;
    I seem to recall that only a few years ago Neverwinter had a great deal of problems with the local fauna. The Lizardfolk were sinking the ships in the various ports, giants had driven the dwarves from their home in the mountains, orcs were assaulting villages in the east and bands of brigands were frequenting the roads. A band of heroes once solved these problems. If you could "unsolve" them, then the wildlife in the region could prove disastrous to all trade. How you could make Neverwinter seem the agressor in this case is up to you.

Gerard nods in agreement once more and says "Yes, I remember this problem. I was on a small campaign at the time, but received regular correspondences."

Gerard thinks for a moment more and asks "Do you care which city blaims the other?"
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Vervasi

To Gerard Vervasi says "They want Luskan to suspect Neverwinter."

Taking the clay tablet, Vervasi looks to the others and says. "I am perhaps the least noticeable, and best able to blend in with the city. Factor that into your plans as you will."

8. - Top - End - #308

Eclipse
    HP 147/147 AC: 29 T: 15 FF: 26 SR 15 (Divine)

Eclipse listens carefully to the Three and the answers they give. He, like Marassa cannot think of any further questions to ask. After it seems they are done for the moment, Eclipse finally speaks up.

"We will help however we can, but we will likely be useless in any matters of stealth. You should all have a fairly clear idea of our capabilities by now. If you wish us to attempt something, merely ask and I will tell you if we are capable."

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    --

SLAs

--

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiration Points: 9
    Deadly Touch Points: 20
    Active Buffs:

Move Action: N/A
    Standard Action: N/A
    Swift Action: N/A

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Otho

After taking his tablet, Otho examines it, testing its weight and feel. Afterwards, he carefully places it in one of his vests pockets, behind a badge he'd long ago "won". "Well, you're still breathing, you wouldn't have to worry raising any of those alarms." He can't help but smile as he turns to Zen and Eclipse "Some of use would have a much harder time laying low, that's for sure."
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

10. - Top - End - #310

Szeth

Stepping forward to the circle the little thief take his clay tablet carefully slippingin it into the wide black leather belt. I can move freely in any of the city states. I can readily disguise myself as another halfling adventurer. The port of Luskan is most likely heavily protected from magics and what not. Neverwinter though sounds promising.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

11. - Top - End - #311

Eclipse
    HP 147/147 AC: 29 T: 15 FF: 26 SR 15 (Divine)

Eclipse smiled wryly at the Vampire's words, who he had taken a liking to. "That indeed is true."

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    --

SLAs

--

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiration Points: 9
    Deadly Touch Points: 20
    Active Buffs:

Move Action: N/A
    Standard Action: N/A
    Swift Action: N/A

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

We do not want either city to look too closely at the whole situation. If one city is left unprovoked, a diplomatic resolution might be possible. But if both cities are at eachother's throats, they might not notice the third side attacking their backs.
    The first figure, now carrying the box, examines the clearing closely.
    You should not linger too long in one place if you're making plans. No matter the defences you have, there are ways of seeing that cannot be blocked. A powerful diviner can look into the past and hear every word said in one place in the past several days, regardless of any defences used by the speakers. If you want to make plans, make them while moving. And make them on your own. If we linger for another minute here, we might be detected.

In puffs of smoke, the figures vanish.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa blinks a moment at the spot where the figures vanished.

"Well, that's that, then. We'd best get moving. I'm not familiar with the local geography - who knows their way about? Also... I suppose I might as well find out just how effective our payment is..."

Marassa pulls out the seal, and breaks it while speaking aloud: "I wish to be more experienced and powerful."
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #314

Eclipse

Eclipse' glance lingers on the spot where the Three were.

"We also think we should begin moving."

Eclipse drops his tablet to the ground and crushes it beneath an armored heel. In an echo of Marassa, he speaks, his own voice echoing deeply across the clearing. "I wish to become more experienced and powerful."

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, taking the XP.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

15. - Top - End - #315

RogueGuy

Gerard

"Not to long ago, I was a high ranking officer in the Neverwinter army. They think I am dead . . . but we may be able to use my reputation to lend credence to the idea of never winter being at the helm of some of the trade break downs."

Gerard breaks the seal and states quietly"I seek power to further Bane's might."

16. - Top - End - #316

Szeth

Szeth looks around and says If we're walking its down the hill that way. Szeth points to the nearest little town and roadway. I'm fer flying though. I'll keep up, unseen. He fades away.

About 40 feet up he takes the tablet out and breaks it saying " I wish to grow in experience, skill and power." He'll pocket the tablet pieces and swoop down low. After a few minutes he speaks up as the group moves I think it should be relatively simple to begin a war between the thieve's guilds of the two cities. One wrongfully percieved action against a master thief or his pets can set it off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wishing for the XP {will make the changes sometime today and PM the totals to ya Belial.}

K: Local (1d20+11)[25] to figure out the thieves/assassin's guild symbols in either city.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Zen

As the beast looks over his tablet he snaps it in a savage motion while uttering in Terran, "<Grant me the power of the greatest beasts and the raw power few of my kind grow to command.>" Almost immediately Zen's stone flesh seems to flush with a darker color as his body fills out and some of the slender portions of his frame grow to normal proportions. Of the loot he removes one of his rings and tosses it away while he slips on one of the new rings and disappears into a shroud of darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like I poked at in the OOC, wishing for the XP.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-12-05 at 12:28 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa absorbs the energies of the tablet without comment.

"Well, I suppose loot doesn't carry itself. I'll take the dagger, I think; it will make me just a little more threatening the next time I'm in close-quarters with a mage."

Marassa reaches out with her mind and summons the dagger to her hand.

19. - Top - End - #319

Duensal stores the tidbits of knowledge he's received away, it seems that he may need to do some more research on his own.

Well, I shall gratefully accept the cloak, if no-one else has a need for it. It isn't going to set my world on fire, but I can see it having its uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Otho

His coffin packed away in his bag. Otho heads off with the others. "As long as you can find a good use for it, a cloak like that might be handy for what's to come." He smirks as he starts getting used to the extra on his cloak's inside pocket and at the tablet resting over his heart. He'd gotten his fair share, he couldn't deny it. He'd keep the wish for a little while longer, at least until he was sure.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2008-12-05 at 09:06 AM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Barien
    Barien cracks his own seal, this time speaking softly in a harsh, throaty voice, and a language that sounds as old as he is.

(If you have a Tongues-type effect or speak Old Netherese:)
    Spoiler
    Show

In Netherese, because it's his native tongue: "I wish for experience, power, and the knowledge to use it wisely."

Dropping whatever remains of the seal to the ground, he selects one of the remaining rings and places it on a shriveled finger, immediately fading into the surrounding darkness once again.

22. - Top - End - #322

RogueGuy

Gerard

"I have a bag of holding," Gerard says. "I think we need to stay in a group if we wish to discuss strategy."

23. - Top - End - #323

Eclipse

As the tablet broke beneath his heel, Eclipse felt a surge of power and knowledge flow into him, which he acknowledged only with a slight smile. Not a bad reward for what he had done. And more to come... If they complete the next task.

Following the others in relative silence (the only sound he made coming from his armor), he waited for someone else to bring up the concept of a strategy. When Szeth swooped down, Eclipse grunted his agreement. "That is a reasonable plan. However one that some of us will likely not be able to take part in, due to the more subtle nature of it." He paused, for a period that would have been a few breaths if he still breathed before continuing. "Perhaps it would be wise to have two plans in motion. We personally thought the suggestion of disrupting the local wildlife had great merit. That is something that those of us more... directly inclined," he glances at Zen, and Otho, "can likely take part in."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Vervasi

Rolling the tablet in her hands indecisively, Vervasi keeps pace with the group as they start to leave and says. "I can easily find any of the wildlife we are looking for, if we seek to approach them."
    Last edited by Incendius; 2008-12-05 at 04:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Eclipse

Eclipse nods at Vervasi's words. "Gerard, do you know the exact nature of why the fauna stopped acting up? It would be useful to know that if we seek to undo their work."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Following the crowd, hoping someone knows where they're going, Marassa gives some input.

"I can Dominate a few animals if we run across them, and I can also Call in a Succubus or five for for Charming more or if we need to replace a few people temporarily. I also have the ability to manipulate minds beyond that, as well - perhaps I should Suggest to some of the traders that they are being poorly treated, or possibly just snatch a few things off of every cart to go by?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

Vervasi

"Many of us are adept at remaining hidden, could we not sabotage many of the goods being delivered from the Neverwinter side? Replacing the bottom layers in a bag of grain with grass for example, or along those lines." Vervasi says as she stares at the sky.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, steal the goods as or just after Luskanites purchase them - drain enough of their resources that way and not only will they think Neverwinter is cheating them, but we can possibly get one of our number to re-sell Luskan the stolen goods to increase our take somewhat on this endeavor."

"Hmm... I can even leave behind some magic auras to make it look like the goods were whisked away magically, or never truly there to begin with...."
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-12-05 at 07:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Zen

From within his veil of darkness Zen is as quiet as usual until he offers a point, "I can assail trade routes, in my less desirable form if need be. With my presence as a grotesque distraction those of speed and stealth could be off with the goods quickly."
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa activates her Hat of Disguise to make herself look like a plain human woman.

"Except that for the theft method to work, it needs to seem that Neverwinter is cheating Luskan - if the theft is prior to purchase, then Luskan merchants can see exactly what goods are there when they are inspected, and bargain accordingly - they won't feel cheated. If goods vanish after they've been purchased, while some monster is threatening them, they'll quickly realize they've been robbed, not cheated. The theft or switch must either occur after purchase, and be seamless - as far ask the Luskan merchants are concerned, there needs to be no particularly significant event at the switch - or the theft needs to be done prior to purchase on the rear set of goods on a very large purchase, where only a small portion of the goods are actually inspected."

"Perhaps if we could disguise a few others of our number as soldiers of Neverwinter, and have you seen traveling with them peacefully, and then have you robbing some of the Luskan merchants... of course, we have to make it seem at least somewhat difficult to connect you to Neverwinter, as while we want Luskan to think you work with Neverwinter, we don't want Luskan to think we want them to think you work with Neverwinter...."