New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Factotums in Pathfinder

Is it just me, or do Factotums become the ultimate one-level dip in Pathfinder, given that they make every skill a class skill (thus allowing for easy PrC entry and large bonuses)?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Factotums in Pathfinder

I've never actually looked at the Factotum, but based on that one feature ... yes, absolutely. A +3 to all trained skills (from being in-class) is always a nice trick, plus lowering the requirements for PrCs is extra nice. (Only requiring 1 rank for any skill traditionally requiring 4? Absolutely)

Any disincentive to doing this has pretty much been removed, too; since they're no longer penalizing multiclassing (for the campaigns that enforced that rule), it's easier to get the bonus without the ill effects.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Exemplar's the same way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, but you can't qualify for Exemplar until level 10, I think, at which point you probably meet the requirements for any PrC you want already.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, but you can't qualify for Exemplar until level 10, I think, at which point you probably meet the requirements for any PrC you want already.
    Well, sure, but it's still a +3 bonus to all skills with another +4 to 1+int on top of that, AND an 8+Int skill selection for at least one level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Is it just me, or do Factotums become the ultimate one-level dip in Pathfinder, given that they make every skill a class skill (thus allowing for easy PrC entry and large bonuses)?
    Despite claiming to be 3.5 compatible. The Pathfinder ruleset is just as compatible with 3.5 as 4th is.

So if you want to play a Factotum in Pathfinder your most likely going to have to house rule it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Despite claiming to be 3.5 compatible. The Pathfinder ruleset is just as compatible with 3.5 as 4th is.
    My group has been playing with both PF and 3.5 material intermingled (classes, PrCs, feats) and it has worked out very well so far. Every once in a while we run into an oddity; this just looks like one of them. Any time there are conversions, something is bound to miss. That doesn't mean it isn't compatible.
    Last edited by Gaiwecoor; 2008-10-30 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Too many elipses!